ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 3rd March 2017, 10:23 AM   #1
TripleScorp
New Blood

Bigfoot Howling

I used to believe in Bigfoot when I was a kid and was pretty disappointed when, little by little, I began to realize that none of the "evidence" came close to adding up to anything substantial. The only thing that confuses me still is the audio of "Bigfoot howlings." I've only been camping once, when I was 11, so I don't really know much about the outdoors and identifying animals by sound. Does anyone know what animal makes those howling noises that you've no doubt heard as "Bigfoot howls"? Bear? Moose? Wolf?

*Apologies if this has already been addressed. I spent some time searching through the many "Bigfoot Follies" threads. If this is addressed in that thread, I missed it.
TripleScorp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2017, 10:30 AM   #2
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by TripleScorp View Post
I used to believe in Bigfoot when I was a kid and was pretty disappointed when, little by little, I began to realize that none of the "evidence" came close to adding up to anything substantial. The only thing that confuses me still is the audio of "Bigfoot howlings." I've only been camping once, when I was 11, so I don't really know much about the outdoors and identifying animals by sound. Does anyone know what animal makes those howling noises that you've no doubt heard as "Bigfoot howls"? Bear? Moose? Wolf?

*Apologies if this has already been addressed. I spent some time searching through the many "Bigfoot Follies" threads. If this is addressed in that thread, I missed it.
Human beings probably account for most bigfoot howls. Then, probably stuff like fox vixens in head, bobcats in heat, wolf howls, etc. You'd need a bigfoot for bigfoot howls, and there aren't any of those.

Tom McGuane
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2017, 10:51 AM   #3
Apathia
Illuminator

Allen Ginsberg is responsible for the majority of Bigfoot howls.

These guys are responsible for the rest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnT4OHfRsCU

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2017, 10:54 AM   #4
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Of course it wasn't a bigfoot howling. Obviously it was a chupacabra.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2017, 12:03 PM   #5
Pterodactyl
Muse

Just my opinion, but the majority of "bigfoot howls" that cannot be attributed to hoaxing and actually perplex/scare bigfooters, probably come from bulls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z-2keWtDuQ
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2017, 12:11 PM   #6
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
Just my opinion, but the majority of "bigfoot howls" that cannot be attributed to hoaxing and actually perplex/scare bigfooters, probably come from bulls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z-2keWtDuQ
A great many things perplex/scare bigfooters.

Tom McGuane
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2017, 12:25 PM   #7
The Shrike
Illuminator

^That and coyotes. The canids don't just yip, they also can do long, low, growling howls.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2017, 12:35 PM   #8
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

Don't forget the Mexican football announcers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUTzrMZVAAw

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2017, 12:44 PM   #9
Steve001
Graduate Poster

I have no thoughts one way or another on the reality or not of Bigfoots. Some of the alledged howls of this animal do not appear to match known animals. Some could be human I acknowledge. Most notably the duration of a howl is the notable variable. Bigfoot howls last longer than the growls of large wild or domestic animals. Four legged animal vocalizations are of a short duration in comparision from what I've listened to. Here's a vocalization of some animal, can anyone identify this animal? https://youtu.be/wTsdbKUwenI My guess is a bear.

Last edited by Steve001; 3rd March 2017 at 12:49 PM.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2017, 12:49 PM   #10
Pterodactyl
Muse

Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
I have no thoughts one way or another on the reality or not of Bigfoots. Some of the alledged howls of this animal do not appear to match known animals. Some could be human I acknowledge. Most notably the duration of a howl is the notable variable. Bigfoot howls last longer than the growls of large wild or domestic animals. Four legged animal vocalizations are of a short duration in comparision from what I've listened to. Here's a vocalization of some animal, can anyone identify this animal? https://youtu.be/wTsdbKUwenI

Thing is, when sounds echo through mountains/canyons like that, they're highly distorted.
My guess, some bigfooters call blasting hoax sounds they got from somewhere else. Or a bull calling to cows in heat.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2017, 01:10 PM   #11
Cervelo
Graduate Poster

I have no thoughts one way or another on the reality or not of Bigfoots. Some of the alledged howls of this animal do not appear to match known animals. Some could be human I acknowledge. Most notably the duration of a howl is the notable variable. Bigfoot howls last longer than the growls of large wild or domestic animals. Four legged animal vocalizations are of a short duration in comparision from what I've listened to. Here's a vocalization of some animal, can anyone identify this animal? https://youtu.be/wTsdbKUwenI My guess is a bear.
Do you normal contradict yourself this way or are you just trolling this forum?
Cervelo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2017, 01:17 PM   #12
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

...I don't really know much about the outdoors and identifying animals by sound. Does anyone know what animal makes those howling noises that you've no doubt heard as "Bigfoot howls"? Bear? Moose? Wolf?
Which howling noise? There is no way to answer your question without hearing the specific sound you are asking about. It is meaningless and unhelpful to simply say, "those howling noises".

Do you have a link to an audio recording?
Old 3rd March 2017, 01:30 PM   #13
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Here's a vocalization of some animal, can anyone identify this animal?
How have you established that this is a spontaneous witness recording of a vocalization of some wild animal?

Alternative question in case you don't like the first question: Do you understand the concept of, "placing a cart in front of a horse"?

Last edited by William Parcher; 3rd March 2017 at 01:32 PM.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2017, 01:52 PM   #14
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
How have you established that this is a spontaneous witness recording of a vocalization of some wild animal?

Alternative question in case you don't like the first question: Do you understand the concept of, "placing a cart in front of a horse"?
First off, please do not mistake me for a woo or anything of that ilk.
There are many "bigfoot howl" videos that are certainly fake and are mistaken by the credulous.

I do indeed.

Whether this video is spontaneous is the not the question. That question is: What animal is vocalizing?
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2017, 01:59 PM   #15
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Cervelo View Post
Do you normal contradict yourself this way or are you just trolling this forum?
I never troll nor am I making a contradiction.
There are a few sound recordings that require further identification as to what North American animal is making the vocalization. If you can indentify what animal is making the sound in the video indentify it.
Old 3rd March 2017, 03:08 PM   #16
TripleScorp
New Blood

Which howling noise? There is no way to answer your question without hearing the specific sound you are asking about. It is meaningless and unhelpful to simply say, "those howling noises".

Do you have a link to an audio recording?
I don't have the ability to share links but there are a multitude of similar videos on sites like YouTube of alleged "Bigfoot howls" and I remember seeing them on TV shows dating back to Unsolved Mysteries.
TripleScorp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2017, 03:14 PM   #17
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Whether this video is spontaneous is the not the question.
Actually it is the question. The people who posted this recording appear to be Bigfooters. The possibility that this is a hoax created by these people is very real and very high.

Quote:
That question is: What animal is vocalizing?
These Bigfoot believer people can use the full range of human creativity to create and/or modify sounds that will confound anyone's ability to positively identify them as being a naturally occuring wild animal. Their goal is to have a knowledgeable person say, "Gosh, I just don't know". The ultimate prize is to have some sort of woodland animal expert say that they have never heard anything like it before.

The reason why I mentioned cart in front of the horse is because nobody here can say if these people were actually recording something (an independent living agent) out there in the wild instead of creating a hoax with creative editing, pre-recorded whatever, partner dude making Bigfooty noises nearby, or any possible combination of any of the above, and including any possible thing that you have not been able to imagine which was done for the purpose of fooling people.

Quote:
That question is: What animal is vocalizing?
Initially, it doesn't sound like a known wild animal. There is an extremely high probability that it is the sounds made by, or modified by, or reproduced by, a human being for the purposes of tricking other human beings.
Old 3rd March 2017, 03:53 PM   #18
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

I don't have the ability to share links but there are a multitude of similar videos on sites like YouTube of alleged "Bigfoot howls" and I remember seeing them on TV shows dating back to Unsolved Mysteries.
Indeed there are multitudes of footie nonsense available. That's all they are, nonsense.

Audio can be manipulated in myriad ways with ProTools and Elastic Audio, etc. No need to even bother with these if you have a footer buddy along to howl like a moron. Audio is the easiest thing to hoax. That's why there's a multitude.

Tom McGuane
Old 3rd March 2017, 03:55 PM   #19
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

There are a few sound recordings that require further identification as to what North American animal is making the vocalization. If you can indentify what animal is making the sound in the video indentify it.
Which sound?

Tom McGuane
Old 3rd March 2017, 03:56 PM   #20
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

There are many "bigfoot howl" videos that are certainly fake and are mistaken by the credulous.
You've just explained every bigfoot vocalization.

Tom McGuane
Old 3rd March 2017, 04:19 PM   #21
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

We've seen this so many times before. Seen what before?

Pretend or imagine that this sound you are hearing is a real wild animal that was spontaneously recorded in the wild, and then tell us all what species of wild animal it is.
Old 3rd March 2017, 04:39 PM   #22
Cervelo
Graduate Poster

Oh your definitely trolling.....but I'll play along just to prove you are.
So there are unidentifiable sounds.....therefore BIGFOOT!??
Cervelo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2017, 04:50 PM   #23
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Actually it is the question. The people who posted this recording appear to be Bigfooters. The possibility that this is a hoax created by these people is very real and very high.

These Bigfoot believer people can use the full range of human creativity to create and/or modify sounds that will confound anyone's ability to positively identify them as being a naturally occuring wild animal. Their goal is to have a knowledgeable person say, "Gosh, I just don't know". The ultimate prize is to have some sort of woodland animal expert say that they have never heard anything like it before.

The reason why I mentioned cart in front of the horse is because nobody here can say if these people were actually recording something (an independent living agent) out there in the wild instead of creating a hoax with creative editing, pre-recorded whatever, partner dude making Bigfooty noises nearby, or any possible combination of any of the above, and including any possible thing that you have not been able to imagine which was done for the purpose of fooling people.

Initially, it doesn't sound like a known wild animal. There is an extremely high probability that it is the sounds made by, or modified by, or reproduced by, a human being for the purposes of tricking other human beings.
A hoax by audio manipulation is a real possibility. It's something I had not thought of. I tend to trust people for the most part. It's a character flaw I know.
To the bold text. Implying continued listening it sounds like some animal, yes, no?
How do you know it doesn't sound like a wild animal? Why assume with confidence it is a hoax?
Are you an expert in the vocalizations of all animals that can vocalize with that depth of sound?
You are making a lot of assumptions. And all of your assumptions are only that.
To my ear it sounds like a bear or a gorilla. The vocalizations have similarities to what's heard in the video.

Last edited by Steve001; 3rd March 2017 at 05:07 PM.
Old 3rd March 2017, 05:00 PM   #24
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Oh your definitely trolling.....but I'll play along just to prove you are.
So there are unidentifiable sounds.....therefore BIGFOOT!??
I have not made a statement of fact one way or another about the reality or its lack of regarding Bigfoot. Read what I write not what you think I've written. Didn't I say I thought it was a bear? Skepticism is fine, but it can often get in the way of careful examination.
Old 3rd March 2017, 05:02 PM   #25
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Skepticism is fine, but it can often get in the way of careful examination.
In what way?

ETA: In the context of this discussion.

Tom McGuane

Last edited by Resume; 3rd March 2017 at 05:04 PM.
Old 3rd March 2017, 05:06 PM   #26
Cervelo
Graduate Poster

I have not made a statement of fact one way or another about the reality or its lack of regarding Bigfoot. Read what I write not what you think I've written. Didn't I say I thought it was a bear? Skepticism is fine, but it can often get in the way of careful examination.
Are you a bear expert or have you consulted a bear expert?
If the answer is no, which I'm sure it is.
Why are you here asking a bunch of skeptics silly questions, other than to troll this site?
Old 3rd March 2017, 05:08 PM   #27
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Which sound?
Post 9.
Old 3rd March 2017, 05:15 PM   #28
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
Thing is, when sounds echo through mountains/canyons like that, they're highly distorted.
My guess, some bigfooters call blasting hoax sounds they got from somewhere else. Or a bull calling to cows in heat.
That's possible. It really does sound like some animal. Whether it's a recording by the posters of the vid or some others way off in the distance blasting a recording or a bull looking for love it's impossible to know.
Old 3rd March 2017, 05:17 PM   #29
Cervelo
Graduate Poster

That's possible. It really does sound like some animal. Whether it's a recording by the posters of the vid or some others way off in the distance blasting a recording or a bull looking for love it's impossible to know.
Therefore Bigfoot!?!
Old 3rd March 2017, 05:21 PM   #30
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

It is possible that bears imitate the sounds of Bigfoot. Although I am unaware of any scientific studies showing that bears do not imitate the sounds that Bigfoots make, I am open to the possibility that such studies and their conclusions exist. My mind is open. Open to be filled. Fill it if there is something to fill it with.

Please fill.
Fill please.

These sounds... are they a wild animal, or a hoax intended to bring wonderful joy and warmth into the hearts of so many good and righteous people?
Old 3rd March 2017, 05:21 PM   #31
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Therefore Bigfoot!?!
That assumption is not even remotely in evidence. Steve has said several times that he doesn't believe that any of the noises are Bigfoot. He's asking if anyone can identify what is really making the noises.

Perhaps you should be a little more charitable and not make unwarranted assumptions.
Old 3rd March 2017, 05:22 PM   #32
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Post 9.
There are any number of sounds in that video. The "what is that?" sounds could be anything at all, including a manipulated recording. Unexplained does not mean unexplainable, nor does unidentified mean bigfoot. The fact that the narration poisons the well (wtf is that? that's not a bear, dog bark . . . ) tells me this is a footer video.

Tom McGuane
Old 3rd March 2017, 05:23 PM   #33
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Your thinking is only 86% woo.
Old 3rd March 2017, 05:28 PM   #34
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Your thinking is only 86% woo.
The post you are responding to is 0% woo. You don't know what it is. It might even be impossible to know what it is.

You know that it is not Bigfoot, but that's all.
Old 3rd March 2017, 05:32 PM   #35
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Are you a bear expert or have you consulted a bear expert?
If the answer is no, which I'm sure it is.
Why are you here asking a bunch of skeptics silly questions, other than to troll this site?
I decided not to reply. I don't care to derail this thread.
Old 3rd March 2017, 05:42 PM   #36
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
You know that it is not Bigfoot, but that's all.
Actually, you are supposed to say I assume that it is not Bigfoot. This is because I obviously cannot prove that it is not Bigfoot.

Therefore, your expression of critical thinking in your post is around 4%.

Last edited by William Parcher; 3rd March 2017 at 05:43 PM.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2017, 05:45 PM   #37
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Ahhhh.....no LOL.....I'll assume he's a footer trolling this site and its members based on the behaviors displayed, which so far are exactly what we've all seen before.
Gosh darn I can't pull one over on you; you guessed right. I'm a dyed in the wool bigfooter. As a matter of assumption ( on your part) I'm out right now lookin' for one in my backyard. I'll take a selfie of me and bigfoot for ya.
Old 3rd March 2017, 05:56 PM   #38
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Actually, you are supposed to say I assume that it is not Bigfoot. This is because I obviously cannot prove that it is not Bigfoot.

Therefore, your expression of critical thinking in your post is around 4%.
Obviously you can't prove that it's not bigfoot. But you know that it's not Bigfoot. Are you going to deny that you know it's not Bigfoot? If you do, I'll call you a liar.
Old 3rd March 2017, 06:43 PM   #39
Beady
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Obviously you can't prove that it's not bigfoot. But you know that it's not Bigfoot. Are you going to deny that you know it's not Bigfoot? If you do, I'll call you a liar.
Damn it, Arty, are you trying to tell me my favorite TV show is fake?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Old 3rd March 2017, 11:06 PM   #40
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I don't recall you ever posting in a Bigfoot thread. I've got over 10,000 posts in Bigfoot threads. I just don't remember your face among the Bigfoot talkers.
Your problem. I remember you.

Hello. Nice to meet you. If you want to, we can talk about Bigfoot. Then maybe we can talk about me being a liar.

You can go ahead and start. If you want to.
Okay. Do you believe that the linked audio represents a Bigfoot?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal