ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 4th March 2017, 12:40 AM   #41
philkensebben
Master Poster

I've been a city slicker for about 35 years, however the last 5 years I've lived with the forest as my backyard. If I didnt know any better now, I'd assume our patch of forest was full of bigfoot. However the very weird noises and moanings and gruntings, I'm reliably informed, are deer, foxes and very possibly badgers. I live in Western Germany btw, so.........I have bigfoot evidence! Or lots of mating, boring forest animals.
philkensebben is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2017, 12:49 AM   #42
GT/CS
Illuminator

Google 'My Cousin Vinny Owl Scene'
Old 4th March 2017, 01:09 AM   #43
Castro
Muse

Castro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2017, 01:14 AM   #44
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
I never troll nor am I making a contradiction..........
Really?

I have no thoughts one way or another on the reality or not of Bigfoots.
Quote:
Bigfoot howls last longer than the growls of large wild or domestic animals
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2017, 05:27 AM   #45
Cervelo
Graduate Poster

Gosh darn I can't pull one over on you; you guessed right. I'm a dyed in the wool bigfooter. As a matter of assumption ( on your part) I'm out right now lookin' for one in my backyard. I'll take a selfie of me and bigfoot for ya.
LOL...highly unlikely most footers (just as you've admitted) have spent or spend little to no time in the outdoors doing anything but reaffirming their confirmation bias (delusion) or just cruise the net living the fantasy.
But heck ya stand on your deck and you'll certainly hear something you can't identify and then come here and ask us to prove it can't be Bigfoot
Cervelo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2017, 06:55 AM   #46
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
Allen Ginsberg is responsible for the majority of Bigfoot howls.

These guys are responsible for the rest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnT4OHfRsCU
I seem to recall Allen even had a book about them back in my college days!!!

Yep, here 'tis: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...Allen+Ginsberg

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2017, 07:07 AM   #47
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Quote:
I never troll nor am I making a contradiction..........
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Really?
I never troll and I'm not making a contradiction. You're welcome to review my posting history.

Quote:
have no thoughts one way or another on the reality or not of Bigfoots.
My position is neutral.

Quote:
Bigfoot howls last longer than the growls of large wild or domestic animals
I should have written it this way.
Quote:
Alleged Bigfoot howls last longer than the growls of large wild or domestic animals
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2017, 07:14 AM   #48
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

I never troll and I'm not making a contradiction. You're welcome to review my posting history.

My position is neutral.

I should have written it this way.
Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest there was anything in the accusation of trolling..............but you have completely contradicted yourself. You cannot be neutral on the existence or otherwise of Bigfoot and then claim to know what it sounds like. That's completely ridiculous, and contradictory.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2017, 08:53 AM   #49
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest there was anything in the accusation of trolling..............but you have completely contradicted yourself. You cannot be neutral on the existence or otherwise of Bigfoot and then claim to know what it sounds like. That's completely ridiculous, and contradictory.
I corrected my first statement later in another post to read as it should have as you've seen. Unfortunately one has a limited time to edit. That was my mistake. To clarify what I was thinking. There are YT videos claiming to be the vocalizations of a Bigfoot. Those vocalizations persist for spans of time longer than vocalizations of other North American animals.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2017, 10:37 AM   #50
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

To clarify what I was thinking. There are YT videos claiming to be the vocalizations of a Bigfoot. Those vocalizations persist for spans of time longer than vocalizations of other North American animals.
Than which you are aware.

Tom McGuane
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2017, 11:19 AM   #51
Apathia
Illuminator

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
I seem to recall Allen even had a book about them back in my college days!!!

Yep, here 'tis: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...Allen+Ginsberg
Yes. if you've read the poem, you'll hear the howling. (Coming from your own mouth.)

And if you've seen this:

[img]Howl-s-Moving-Castle-howls-moving-castle-4919319-853-480_1.jpg[/img]

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2017, 02:30 PM   #52
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
Yes. if you've read the poem, you'll hear the howling. (Coming from your own mouth.)

And if you've seen this:

http://Howl-s-Moving-Castle-howls-mo...-853-480_1.jpg
Read it some before I watched it!!!!! '86 or '87......

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2017, 03:12 PM   #53
Northern Lights
Muse

Originally Posted by TripleScorp View Post
I used to believe in Bigfoot when I was a kid and was pretty disappointed when, little by little, I began to realize that none of the "evidence" came close to adding up to anything substantial. The only thing that confuses me still is the audio of "Bigfoot howlings." I've only been camping once, when I was 11, so I don't really know much about the outdoors and identifying animals by sound. Does anyone know what animal makes those howling noises that you've no doubt heard as "Bigfoot howls"? Bear? Moose? Wolf?

*Apologies if this has already been addressed. I spent some time searching through the many "Bigfoot Follies" threads. If this is addressed in that thread, I missed it.
TripleScorp-Most of the Bigfoot regulars have listened to the recording below and we've discussed at length, but being someone new to the conversation, I will provide this for your listening pleasure.

The recording was done in northern Minnesota in March 2012. The recorder was left out in a field over night is the entire recording is 20 hours long. This section is about 30 minutes and if you scroll down, it is broken out into smaller segments. If you don't wish to listen to the entire recording, I highly recommend at least listening to the section labeled 8:30 to 12 and listen to the entire 3:30 minutes.

I would be very interested in hearing your opinion. Enjoy.

NL

http://sasquatchresearchers.org/marc...nnesota-howls/
Old 4th March 2017, 03:31 PM   #54
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
TripleScorp-Most of the Bigfoot regulars have listened to the recording below and we've discussed at length, but being someone new to the conversation, I will provide this for your listening pleasure.

The recording was done in northern Minnesota in March 2012. The recorder was left out in a field over night is the entire recording is 20 hours long. This section is about 30 minutes and if you scroll down, it is broken out into smaller segments. If you don't wish to listen to the entire recording, I highly recommend at least listening to the section labeled 8:30 to 12 and listen to the entire 3:30 minutes.

I would be very interested in hearing your opinion. Enjoy.

NL

http://sasquatchresearchers.org/marc...nnesota-howls/
In the four years since the "recording," how much material progress has been made in the search for the mysterious Minnesota footie?

Tom McGuane

Last edited by Resume; 4th March 2017 at 03:34 PM. Reason: english
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2017, 03:58 PM   #55
Cervelo
Graduate Poster

I corrected my first statement later in another post to read as it should have as you've seen. Unfortunately one has a limited time to edit. That was my mistake. To clarify what I was thinking. There are YT videos claiming to be the vocalizations of a Bigfoot. Those vocalizations persist for spans of time longer than vocalizations of other North American animals.
Really care to back that up with any verifiable facts?
Cervelo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2017, 04:37 PM   #56
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Cervelo View Post
Really care to back that up with any verifiable facts?
Did I say the vocalizations were actual bigfoot recordings? No I didn't. I said they are alledged Bigfoot recordings, like the one linked recently by another member. I listened to that recording and without too much imagination it sounds like a pack of wolves howling but slowed down some. That is one such recording there are others Bigfooters claim provide evidence.
Look, if you're looking for a fight and it seems you are then go find some other member, say bjarne or Malbec...

Last edited by Steve001; 4th March 2017 at 04:40 PM.
Old 4th March 2017, 04:46 PM   #57
Cervelo
Graduate Poster

Did I say the vocalizations were actual bigfoot recordings? No I didn't. I said they are alledged Bigfoot recordings, like the one linked recently by another member. I listened to that recording and without too much imagination it sounds like a pack of wolves howling but slowed down some. That is one such recording there are others Bigfooters claim provide evidence.
Look, if you're looking for a fight and it seems you are then go find some other member, say bjarne or Malbec...
I'm asking you to back up your definitive statement that no NA animal could vocalize for your imaginary duration....can you do that?
You should seriously consider joining this forum, you will get exactly what your looking for
http://bigfootforums.com

Last edited by Cervelo; 4th March 2017 at 04:53 PM.
Old 4th March 2017, 05:09 PM   #58
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

. I said they are alledged Bigfoot recordings, like the one linked recently by another member. I listened to that recording and without too much imagination it sounds like a pack of wolves howling but slowed down some.
I've heard a number of footer-provided recordings that sound like this, including the one NL linked to today. This is what they are in all likelihood, but does not preclude the possibility of some other previously unheard wolf vocalization. The one thing we can be certain of however, is that they are not bigfoot vocalizations.

Tom McGuane
Old 4th March 2017, 05:57 PM   #59
Northern Lights
Muse

The recording I posted has not been manipulated in any manner.
Old 4th March 2017, 06:05 PM   #60
Pterodactyl
Critical Thinker

Can you post it again?
Cant remember where to find it.

This is a new howl thread. Might as well add what howls you've got.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2017, 06:07 PM   #61
Northern Lights
Muse

Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
Can you post it again?
Cant remember where to find it.

This is a new howl thread. Might as well add what howls you've got.
Scroll up. Post 60.
Old 4th March 2017, 06:11 PM   #62
Pterodactyl
Critical Thinker

Scroll up. Post 60.
D'oh!
Thanks.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2017, 06:50 PM   #63
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

If true -- and one shouldn't automatically concede veracity to any enthusiast's assertions -- all that means is it is a novel vocalization attributable to some sort of animal, perhaps wolf, and cannot possibly be assigned to the mythic cryptid known as bigfoot as such a creature has never been reliably described or observed in the entire natural history of North America.

Tom McGuane
Old 4th March 2017, 10:41 PM   #64
philkensebben
Master Poster

I dont understand why a creature, so adept at avoiding cameras because of a supposed innate awareness, routinely shouts to all and sundry.
philkensebben is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 05:22 AM   #65
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Mod WarningSeveral posts have been moved to AAH.

Please keep to the topic of Bigfoot howling, rather than howling at each other. Thank you.

Posted By:zooterkin
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 06:46 AM   #66
Castro
Muse

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
If true -- and one shouldn't automatically concede veracity to any enthusiast's assertions -- all that means is it is a novel vocalization attributable to some sort of animal, perhaps wolf, and cannot possibly be assigned to the mythic cryptid known as bigfoot as such a creature has never been reliably described or observed in the entire natural history of North America.
Yes, if true...and it doesn't mean that the source of the recorded sound didn't manipulate it before its diffusion and its recording.

Last edited by Castro; 5th March 2017 at 06:54 AM.
Castro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 07:29 AM   #67
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by TripleScorp View Post
I used to believe in Bigfoot when I was a kid and was pretty disappointed when, little by little, I began to realize that none of the "evidence" came close to adding up to anything substantial. The only thing that confuses me still is the audio of "Bigfoot howlings." I've only been camping once, when I was 11, so I don't really know much about the outdoors and identifying animals by sound. Does anyone know what animal makes those howling noises that you've no doubt heard as "Bigfoot howls"? Bear? Moose? Wolf?
Given what you've said this seems like a natural question. People are pretty naive about what ends up being called "bigfoot howls".

Some are hoaxed of course, but let's set them aside for now.

It might be helpful to consider how sounds are "winnowed" down to alleged bigfoot. If you consider just one animal like dogs, there is a staggering array of sounds they can make depending on what they are doing and the acoustics of the terrain.

If you take this set of sounds that we know with certainty are dogs and systematically eliminate all the obvious "woof", "bark" and "oooooo" recordings then what is left are known dog recordings that don't sound like dogs, even to people experienced with dogs.

This is going to be true for just about any animal: sets of sounds that, because of their uncommon nature and deceptive acoustical contexts, do not sound like that animal.

Besides hoaxing then, we have these kinds of sounds that are great candidates for "bigfoot" in the same way bizarre creaks and groans in old houses are ghosts. We can't say from a recording what they are. We'd have to be in the house, know the materials, the temperature and humidity data, etc. in order to identify what is making the sounds.

We winnow out all the easy-to-identify sounds and are left with that which we cannot identify - then ascribe them to bigfoot or ghosts or whatever, which is a lesson in drawing the false conclusion.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 07:35 AM   #68
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Unless you recorded this yourself attesting to its autheticity and even then it could be suspect, you can't say it has not been manipulated. It could be a slighly slowed recording of a pack of wolves howling or some other animal including humans (trying to pull one over).

Last edited by Steve001; 5th March 2017 at 08:08 AM.
Old 5th March 2017, 07:45 AM   #69
Cervelo
Graduate Poster

Here's something I heard for months on an almost daily basis and I was convinced it was moving around.
https://soundcloud.com/cervelo/whoop12162009
Old 5th March 2017, 07:50 AM   #70
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Castro View Post
Yes, if true...and it doesn't mean that the source of the recorded sound didn't manipulate it before its diffusion and its recording.
Of course.

Tom McGuane
Old 5th March 2017, 07:55 AM   #71
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

Here's something I heard for months on an almost daily basis and I was convinced it was moving around.
https://soundcloud.com/cervelo/whoop12162009
Sounds mechanical.

Tom McGuane
Old 5th March 2017, 07:59 AM   #72
Cervelo
Graduate Poster

Sounds mechanical.
Winner winner chicken dinner!!!

There are two Carolina Wrens singing. I'm not sure what the final sound is, but it's mechanical, not a bird.

There's so much going on at the Lab that is fascinating. To learn more about some of those activities, sign up for our monthly eNewsletter at www.birds.cornell.edu. I also encourage you to visit our Facebook page, www.facebook.com/cornellbirds, where there is a community of people who are always asking and answering questions about birds.

Laura Erickson
Science Editor
Cornell Lab of Ornithology
http://www.birds.cornell.edu
Old 5th March 2017, 08:05 AM   #73
Cervelo
Graduate Poster

Here's another one for ya....tree knocking, I've heard this sound on a regular basis since about 8yrs old. Close your eyes and picture a monkey man banging a stick on a tree....
https://soundcloud.com/cervelo/knocks

Last edited by Cervelo; 5th March 2017 at 08:11 AM.
Old 5th March 2017, 09:37 AM   #74
Northern Lights
Muse

Unless you recorded this yourself attesting to its autheticity and even then it could be suspect, you can't say it has not been manipulated. It could be a slighly slowed recording of a pack of wolves howling or some other animal including humans (trying to pull one over).
The individual that recorded this was provided the recorder by our group. He turned it on and left it out. He didn't even know how to download it to his computer so gave it back to us. We still have the original 20 hour file.

If anyone thinks the sounds on that recording is a known animal, please post a YouTube video or any other link.
Old 5th March 2017, 10:01 AM   #75
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

The individual that recorded this was provided the recorder by our group. He turned it on and left it out. He didn't even know how to download it to his computer so gave it back to us. We still have the original 20 hour file.
What does this prove?

Quote:
If anyone thinks the sounds on that recording is a known animal, please post a YouTube video or any other link.
What sort of unknown animal do you assert?

Tom McGuane
Old 5th March 2017, 10:02 AM   #76
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Sounds mechanical.
Winner winner chicken dinner!!!

There are two Carolina Wrens singing. I'm not sure what the final sound is, but it's mechanical, not a bird.

There's so much going on at the Lab that is fascinating. To learn more about some of those activities, sign up for our monthly eNewsletter at www.birds.cornell.edu. I also encourage you to visit our Facebook page, www.facebook.com/cornellbirds, where there is a community of people who are always asking and answering questions about birds.

Laura Erickson
Science Editor
Cornell Lab of Ornithology
http://www.birds.cornell.edu
I "believe" bias is getting in the way for both of you. You both assume this sound is mechanical and both of you don't know what made this sound. This unknown sound resembles some of the sounds a gibbon can make.

Cervelo, you've heard this unknown unfamiliar sound for months and you weren't curious enough to make even one attempt to deterimine it origins, why?

Last edited by Steve001; 5th March 2017 at 10:07 AM.
Old 5th March 2017, 10:06 AM   #77
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

I "believe" bias is getting in the way for both of you. You both assume this sound is mechanical and both of you don't know what made this sound. This unknown sound resembles some of the sounds a gibbon can make.
No, I said it sounds mechanical to me. I expressed an opinion as to the origin. Did I type anything about a conclusion, provisional or otherwise?

Tom McGuane

Last edited by Resume; 5th March 2017 at 10:08 AM.
Old 5th March 2017, 10:16 AM   #78
Steve001
Graduate Poster

No, I said it sounds mechanical to me. I expressed an opinion as to the origin. Did I type anything about a conclusion, provisional or otherwise?
I'll except that. You should also in good faith respond to Cervelo's post #72 in this exact same fashion. HE or she thinks you agree it is mechanical.

Last edited by Steve001; 5th March 2017 at 10:20 AM.
Old 5th March 2017, 10:24 AM   #79
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

I'll except that.
Oh goodie.
Quote:
You should also in good faith respond to Cervelo's post #72 in this exact same fashion. He or she thinks you agree it is mechanical.
That's why I typed it sounds mechanical, rather than it is mechanical. Do you understand the difference?

Tom McGuane
Old 5th March 2017, 10:37 AM   #80
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Unfortunately for bigfooters the rest of us can't be as confident as to the veracity of this claim. In short there is no natural history of bigfoot. Without that there's way to determine if a bigfoot made these sounds.

Last edited by Steve001; 5th March 2017 at 11:47 AM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal