ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 5th March 2017, 10:39 AM   #81
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 15,538
Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
If anyone thinks the sounds on that recording is a known animal, please post a YouTube video or any other link.
Okay.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Awesome Wolf Howling Compilation

More
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Wolves - Howling - In Nature
__________________
A sentimental materialization of the kind of quasi‐rural bonhomie that seemed a millimeter from actual goose‐stepping and brown‐shirt uproars of bumpkin fascism.

Tom McGuane

Last edited by Resume; 5th March 2017 at 10:43 AM.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 10:40 AM   #82
Steve001
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,260
Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Oh goodie.

That's why I typed it sounds mechanical, rather than it is mechanical. Do you understand the difference?
I do after your previous clarification. But cervelo does not. You need to clarify it to him or her or a chicken dinner is on the menu today for you.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 10:42 AM   #83
MikeG
Now. Do it now.
 
MikeG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 19,769
Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
Unfortunately for bigfooters the rest of us can't be as confident as to the veracity of this claim. In short there is no natural history of bigfoot. Without that there's way to determine what made these sounds.
Huh? If it is from an animal, you simply find a matching sound from a known animal. Admittedly, if it isn't from an animal then it is a bit more of a problem.
__________________
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 10:46 AM   #84
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 15,538
Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
I do after your previous clarification. But cervelo does not. You need to clarify it to him or her or a chicken dinner is on the menu today for you.
I want chicken today.
__________________
A sentimental materialization of the kind of quasi‐rural bonhomie that seemed a millimeter from actual goose‐stepping and brown‐shirt uproars of bumpkin fascism.

Tom McGuane
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 11:03 AM   #85
Cervelo
Graduate Poster
 
Cervelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,365
Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
I "believe" bias is getting in the way for both of you. You both assume this sound is mechanical and both of you don't know what made this sound. This unknown sound resembles some of the sounds a gibbon can make.

Cervelo, you've heard this unknown unfamiliar sound for months and you weren't curious enough to make even one attempt to deterimine it origins, why?
So recording the unknown sound and submitting it for review to Cornell wasn't enough for ya?
Geez talk about bias and assumption, how do you know I haven't determined its origin?
Cervelo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 11:07 AM   #86
Cervelo
Graduate Poster
 
Cervelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,365
Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
The individual that recorded this was provided the recorder by our group. He turned it on and left it out. He didn't even know how to download it to his computer so gave it back to us. We still have the original 20 hour file.

If anyone thinks the sounds on that recording is a known animal, please post a YouTube video or any other link.
So you loaned someone a recorder and they returned it with spooky "unidentifiable sounds", ahhhhh yea that prove its no known animal! Your using the same lame footer logic, prove what this is or.....
Therefore BIGFOOT!!!

Last edited by Cervelo; 5th March 2017 at 11:44 AM.
Cervelo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 11:49 AM   #87
Apathia
Illuminator
 
Apathia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 4,114
Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
Read it some before I watched it!!!!! '86 or '87......

Thanks for trying to correct my blotched IMG.

Here it is:

__________________
"At the Supreme Court level where we work, 90 percent of any decision is emotional. The rational part of us supplies the reasons for supporting our predilections."
Justice William O. Douglas

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 11:51 AM   #88
Steve001
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,260
Originally Posted by Cervelo View Post
So recording the unknown sound and submitting it for review to Cornell wasn't enough for ya?
Geez talk about bias and assumption, how do you know I haven't determined its origin?
I believe you never said the audio was submitted, only stated the sound is unknown to you.
So the sound was submitted but remains unidentified. Could be a bigfoot call then.

Last edited by Steve001; 5th March 2017 at 12:00 PM.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 11:54 AM   #89
Steve001
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,260
Originally Posted by Resume View Post
I want chicken today.
Actually I didn't buy your provisional "sounds mechanical " explanation.

Last edited by Steve001; 5th March 2017 at 11:58 AM.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 11:57 AM   #90
Steve001
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,260
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Huh? If it is from an animal, you simply find a matching sound from a known animal. Admittedly, if it isn't from an animal then it is a bit more of a problem.
Language is sometimes imprecise. I have since edited that particular sentence to read precisely i hope.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 12:00 PM   #91
MikeG
Now. Do it now.
 
MikeG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 19,769
Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
.......Could be a bigfoot call then.
This "I'm not a footer" thing is getting less and less convincing.
__________________
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 12:04 PM   #92
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 15,538
Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
Actually I didn't buy your provisional "sounds mechanical " explanation.
Except (used properly) that is what I meant, and what I typed. I do not know what that sound is, but it sounds familiarly mechanical to me.
__________________
A sentimental materialization of the kind of quasi‐rural bonhomie that seemed a millimeter from actual goose‐stepping and brown‐shirt uproars of bumpkin fascism.

Tom McGuane
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 12:06 PM   #93
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 15,538
Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
Could be a bigfoot call then.
No, it couldn't.
__________________
A sentimental materialization of the kind of quasi‐rural bonhomie that seemed a millimeter from actual goose‐stepping and brown‐shirt uproars of bumpkin fascism.

Tom McGuane
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 12:07 PM   #94
smartcooky
Philosopher
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 6,427
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
That assumption is not even remotely in evidence. Steve has said several times that he doesn't believe that any of the noises are Bigfoot. He's asking if anyone can identify what is really making the noises.

Perhaps you should be a little more charitable and not make unwarranted assumptions.
100%. There is a tendency for some posters here to dogpile on a poster at the first mention of Bigfoot, and I don't think these posters are being very fair on Steve01. I'll quote from his opening post...

"I used to believe in Bigfoot when I was a kid and was pretty disappointed when, little by little, I began to realize that none of the "evidence" came close to adding up to anything substantial."


This doesn't read like the words of a Figbooter to me. Steve01 is a long time poster here (joined 9 years ago) and as far as I can see, he has no previous form for trolling or making claims for the reality of Bigfoot in the Bigfoot threads, so I fail to see why accusations of trolling are being leveled at him now.
__________________
► 9/11 was a terrorist attack by Islamic extremists; 12 Apollo astronauts really did walk on the Moon; JFK was assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald,who acted alone.
► Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed. - Jay Utah
► Heisenberg's Law - The weirdness of the Universe is inversely proportional to the scale at which you observe it, or not.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 12:11 PM   #95
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 15,538
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
100%. There is a tendency for some posters here to dogpile on a poster at the first mention of Bigfoot, and I don't think these posters are being very fair on Steve01. I'll quote from his opening post...

"I used to believe in Bigfoot when I was a kid and was pretty disappointed when, little by little, I began to realize that none of the "evidence" came close to adding up to anything substantial."


This doesn't read like the words of a Figbooter to me. Steve01 is a long time poster here (joined 9 years ago) and as far as I can see, he has no previous form for trolling or making claims for the reality of Bigfoot in the Bigfoot threads, so I fail to see why accusations of trolling are being leveled at him now.
Originally Posted by Steve001
I believe you never said the audio was submitted, only stated the sound is unknown to you. So the sound was submitted but remains unidentified. Could be a bigfoot call then.
Or . . .
__________________
A sentimental materialization of the kind of quasi‐rural bonhomie that seemed a millimeter from actual goose‐stepping and brown‐shirt uproars of bumpkin fascism.

Tom McGuane
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 12:22 PM   #96
smartcooky
Philosopher
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 6,427
Originally Posted by Cervelo View Post
Here's another one for ya....tree knocking, I've heard this sound on a regular basis since about 8yrs old. Close your eyes and picture a monkey man banging a stick on a tree....
https://soundcloud.com/cervelo/knocks
I used to hear a sound similar to this when I went horse-riding (Endurance training) before dawn in Waiwhero Forest, Nelson. Turned out to be the shotgun blasts of duck hunters several miles away in the estuary near Mariri. The sound were muffled by all the trees.

I worked this out from the fact that I only ever heard these sounds in May each year, and more often near the beginning of May (the Duck hunting season in NZ starts the first weekend in May).
__________________
► 9/11 was a terrorist attack by Islamic extremists; 12 Apollo astronauts really did walk on the Moon; JFK was assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald,who acted alone.
► Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed. - Jay Utah
► Heisenberg's Law - The weirdness of the Universe is inversely proportional to the scale at which you observe it, or not.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 12:25 PM   #97
Cervelo
Graduate Poster
 
Cervelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,365
Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
I believe you never said the audio was submitted, only stated the sound is unknown to you.
So the sound was submitted but remains unidentified. Could be a bigfoot call then.
Well it's good to know you don't read post completely before you shoot your mouth off and that your footer

Here's the response (again) from Cornell Lab of Ornithology, I'll roll with their opnion every time over an Internet footer.

There are two Carolina Wrens singing. I'm not sure what the final sound is, but it's mechanical, not a bird.

There's so much going on at the Lab that is fascinating. To learn more about some of those activities, sign up for our monthly eNewsletter at www.birds.cornell.edu. I also encourage you to visit our Facebook page, www.facebook.com/cornellbirds, where there is a community of people who are always asking and answering questions about birds.

Laura Erickson
Science Editor
Cornell Lab of Ornithology
http://www.birds.cornell.edu
Cervelo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 12:27 PM   #98
smartcooky
Philosopher
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 6,427
Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Or . . .
"could be" is a fair and reasonable statement for someone who had adopted a neutral position on something.


If you can show me (with evidence) that Steve01 has a history of trolling Bigfoot threads in his 10 years and over 1100 posts here, I'll gladly retract my earlier statement.
__________________
► 9/11 was a terrorist attack by Islamic extremists; 12 Apollo astronauts really did walk on the Moon; JFK was assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald,who acted alone.
► Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed. - Jay Utah
► Heisenberg's Law - The weirdness of the Universe is inversely proportional to the scale at which you observe it, or not.

Last edited by smartcooky; 5th March 2017 at 12:28 PM.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 12:32 PM   #99
Cervelo
Graduate Poster
 
Cervelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,365
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I used to hear a sound similar to this when I went horse-riding (Endurance training) before dawn in Waiwhero Forest, Nelson. Turned out to be the shotgun blasts of duck hunters several miles away in the estuary near Mariri. The sound were muffled by all the trees.

I worked this out from the fact that I only ever heard these sounds in May each year, and more often near the beginning of May (the Duck hunting season in NZ starts the first weekend in May).
And another winner of a chicken dinner!!!!
Same here....years of hunting identified this sound decades ago. The other fascinatiing point (made by many members already) is the astounding amount of distortion due to environment, that could turn a pack of deer dogs sounding off into a bizzare roaring.
Cervelo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 12:48 PM   #100
Castro
Muse
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 666
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
[I]"could be"[/i] is a fair and reasonable statement for someone who had adopted a neutral position on something.


If you can show me (with evidence) that Steve01 has a history of trolling Bigfoot threads in his 10 years and over 1100 posts here, I'll gladly retract my earlier statement.
Then I suppose that "could be a pink unicorn call" (or whatever imaginary animal you like) would also be a fair and reasonable statement. I mean from a neutral position of course.
Castro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 01:03 PM   #101
Steve001
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,260
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
This "I'm not a footer" thing is getting less and less convincing.
I've never seen one, heard one and I don't know anyone personally and otherwise who has. I don't go bigfoot hunting and I have no inclination to do so- ever. What I'm failling to point out is there are somethings that can be dismissed such as astrology, anything from Malbec's et al. mouths... because they've been tested or fail rational logic. However, an unknown creature that many claim to have seen does not fall into that category in my opinion. Granted the case for a large primate roaming America does not look good, but in this specific case I take a wait see approach instead of cavelier dismissal. I hope I've clarifies thing.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 01:31 PM   #102
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 15,538
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
"could be" is a fair and reasonable statement for someone who had adopted a neutral position on something.


If you can show me (with evidence) that Steve01 has a history of trolling Bigfoot threads in his 10 years and over 1100 posts here, I'll gladly retract my earlier statement.
Never claimed he was a troll.

ETA: "could be" isn't a neutral position. "I don't know" would be.
__________________
A sentimental materialization of the kind of quasi‐rural bonhomie that seemed a millimeter from actual goose‐stepping and brown‐shirt uproars of bumpkin fascism.

Tom McGuane

Last edited by Resume; 5th March 2017 at 01:41 PM.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 01:50 PM   #103
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 15,538
Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
Granted the case for a large primate roaming America does not look good, but in this specific case I take a wait see approach instead of cavelier dismissal. I hope I've clarifies thing.
I think examination of most bigfoot threads here will reveal that a relative few have dismissed the bigfoot hypothesis "cavalierly" but rather, after careful consideration of what passes for bigfoot evidence, find it sorely lacking. Indeed, you will find any number of positions from I don't know, to I don't believe, to There is no bigfoot. I am in the no bigfoot camp.
__________________
A sentimental materialization of the kind of quasi‐rural bonhomie that seemed a millimeter from actual goose‐stepping and brown‐shirt uproars of bumpkin fascism.

Tom McGuane

Last edited by Resume; 5th March 2017 at 01:53 PM. Reason: typo
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 02:29 PM   #104
Lucian
Illuminator
 
Lucian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,146
Originally Posted by Cervelo View Post
Well it's good to know you don't read post completely before you shoot your mouth off and that your footer

Here's the response (again) from Cornell Lab of Ornithology, I'll roll with their opnion every time over an Internet footer.

There are two Carolina Wrens singing. I'm not sure what the final sound is, but it's mechanical, not a bird.

There's so much going on at the Lab that is fascinating. To learn more about some of those activities, sign up for our monthly eNewsletter at www.birds.cornell.edu. I also encourage you to visit our Facebook page, www.facebook.com/cornellbirds, where there is a community of people who are always asking and answering questions about birds.

Laura Erickson
Science Editor
Cornell Lab of Ornithology
http://www.birds.cornell.edu
You don't have to be a footer or an incompetent reader to be confused by your initial post quoting Ms. Erickson from the Cornell Bird Lab. The post is confusing. You provide no introductory information (e.g., "I sent the recording to the Cornell Lab of Ornithology and got this response"), nor do you set off the quote in quotation marks. On first reading, it seems that the paragraph beginning "There are two Carolina Wrens singing" is your own writing. On subsequent readings, it's not clear whether that paragraph is part of the quote or not. In other words, it's difficult for a reader to know whether the judgment that the final sound is mechanical and not a bird comes from a bird expert or not.

Originally Posted by Cervelo View Post
Winner winner chicken dinner!!!

There are two Carolina Wrens singing. I'm not sure what the final sound is, but it's mechanical, not a bird.

There's so much going on at the Lab that is fascinating. To learn more about some of those activities, sign up for our monthly eNewsletter at www.birds.cornell.edu. I also encourage you to visit our Facebook page, www.facebook.com/cornellbirds, where there is a community of people who are always asking and answering questions about birds.

Laura Erickson
Science Editor
Cornell Lab of Ornithology
http://www.birds.cornell.edu
Lucian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 02:47 PM   #105
smartcooky
Philosopher
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 6,427
Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
I've never seen one, heard one and I don't know anyone personally and otherwise who has. I don't go bigfoot hunting and I have no inclination to do so- ever. What I'm failling to point out is there are somethings that can be dismissed such as astrology, anything from Malbec's et al. mouths... because they've been tested or fail rational logic. However, an unknown creature that many claim to have seen does not fall into that category in my opinion. Granted the case for a large primate roaming America does not look good, but in this specific case I take a wait see approach instead of cavelier dismissal. I hope I've clarifies thing.
Cavalier dismissal is probably not an appropriate appraisal in this context. The facts are that there is simply not a single iota of evidence for the existence of bigfoot, or any other large, previously undiscovered primate roaming the remote forests and hills of North America. Even if you ignore the fact that no-one has ever produced a body or a carcass or a skeleton (or even parts of a skeleton), there is the issue that there simply could not be just a few of them. In order to account for the large number of sightings over such a wide area, there would have to be many, sustainable populations. It is a fact that every primate species known to man lives together in groups, and if bigfoots really existed, such groups would have been discovered by now.

IMO, "sightings" of Bigfoot fall into three main categories.

1. Hoaxes, perpetrated either by pranksters or genuine bigfooters trying to make up evidence to support their case.

2. Misidentified humans at a distance or optical illusions created by light and shadow

3. Misidentified sightings of North American Black bears.

In support of No. 3 above...

a. it is known that the location of sightings of Bigfoot coincide to a high degree of precision with the known habitat of the North American black bears. There are black bear remains routinely found throughout their habitat... but no bigfoot remains are ever found.

b. the term "black bear" is somewhat misleading. Black bears come in a range of colours - black, brown, cinnamon, blond, blue-gray, and white. Coincidentally, this is the same range of colours that Bigfoot sightings are reported in.

c. Black bears are known to stand up and walk on their hind legs.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE


Imagine seeing the part from :06 to 0:13 of this video happening in the bush/forest where you can't actually get a clear view.

While none of this is "proof" (correlation does not prove causation), there are strong implications that misidentified black bears could account for a fair number of the "genuine" sightings (by genuine, I mean people reporting honestly what they think they have seen).

Back to your questions regarding howling sounds, like any animal, black bears make a range of different sounds.

https://www.bear.org/website/bear-pa...-language.html

Distance and environment can also affect how these sounds are perceived.
__________________
► 9/11 was a terrorist attack by Islamic extremists; 12 Apollo astronauts really did walk on the Moon; JFK was assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald,who acted alone.
► Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed. - Jay Utah
► Heisenberg's Law - The weirdness of the Universe is inversely proportional to the scale at which you observe it, or not.

Last edited by smartcooky; 5th March 2017 at 03:40 PM.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 03:53 PM   #106
Steve001
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,260
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Cavalier dismissal is probably not an appropriate appraisal in this context. The facts are that there is simply not a single iota of evidence for the existence of bigfoot, or any other large, previously undiscovered primate roaming the remote forests and hills of North America. Even if you ignore the fact that no-one has ever produced a body or a carcass or a skeleton (or even parts of a skeleton), there is the issue that there simply could not be just a few of them. In order to account for the large number of sightings over such a wide area, there would have to be many, sustainable populations. It is a fact that every primate species known to man lives together in groups, and if bigfoots really existed, such groups would have been discovered by now.

IMO, "sightings" of Bigfoot fall into three main categories.

1. Hoaxes, perpetrated either by pranksters or genuine bigfooters trying to make up evidence to support their case.
I mentioned black bears as one source of claimed bigfoot sounds.

Orangutans are solitary coming together only to mate.

2. Misidentified humans at a distance or optical illusions created by light and shadow

3. Misidentified sightings of North American Black bears.

In support of No. 3 above...

a. it is known that the location of sightings of Bigfoot coincide to a high degree of precision with the known habitat of the North American black bears. There are black bear remains routinely found throughout their habitat... but no bigfoot remains are ever found.

b. the term "black bear" is somewhat misleading. Black bears come in a range of colours - black, brown, cinnamon, blond, blue-gray, and white. Coincidentally, this is the same range of colours that Bigfoot sightings are reported in.

c. Black bears are known to stand up and walk on their hind legs.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE


Imagine seeing the part from :06 to 0:13 of this video happening in the bush/forest where you can't actually get a clear view.

While none of this is "proof" (correlation does not prove causation), there are strong implications that misidentified black bears could account for a fair number of the "genuine" sightings (by genuine, I mean people reporting honestly what they think they have seen).

Back to your questions regarding howling sounds, like any animal, black bears make a range of different sounds.

https://www.bear.org/website/bear-pa...-language.html

Distance and environment can also affect how these sounds are perceived.
When I said cavalier I had one poster in mind named *cervelo. I mentioned black bears.
Orangutans are solitary primates only coming together to mate.

* member castro might also fall into that characterization.

P.S. That poor bear was shot by a hunter.

Last edited by Steve001; 5th March 2017 at 04:11 PM.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 04:04 PM   #107
Steve001
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,260
Originally Posted by Castro View Post
Then I suppose that "could be a pink unicorn call" (or whatever imaginary animal you like) would also be a fair and reasonable statement. I mean from a neutral position of course.
I'm certain unicorns have never existed along with other magical creatures.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 04:20 PM   #108
Steve001
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,260
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I used to hear a sound similar to this when I went horse-riding (Endurance training) before dawn in Waiwhero Forest, Nelson. Turned out to be the shotgun blasts of duck hunters several miles away in the estuary near Mariri. The sound were muffled by all the trees.

I worked this out from the fact that I only ever heard these sounds in May each year, and more often near the beginning of May (the Duck hunting season in NZ starts the first weekend in May).
First time I listen to it was on my mobile with ok audio, now on my pc with much better audio it is easy to tell what is making those sounds. About 6 miles from where I live is a skeet trap range. Those shotgun blast sounds match perfectly those in this audio clip.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 04:24 PM   #109
Steve001
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,260
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
100%. There is a tendency for some posters here to dogpile on a poster at the first mention of Bigfoot, and I don't think these posters are being very fair on Steve01. I'll quote from his opening post...

"I used to believe in Bigfoot when I was a kid and was pretty disappointed when, little by little, I began to realize that none of the "evidence" came close to adding up to anything substantial."


This doesn't read like the words of a Figbooter to me. Steve01 is a long time poster here (joined 9 years ago) and as far as I can see, he has no previous form for trolling or making claims for the reality of Bigfoot in the Bigfoot threads, so I fail to see why accusations of trolling are being leveled at him now.
Thanks.

To the bold. Everyone likes fresh meat.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 04:29 PM   #110
Steve001
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,260
Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Okay.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Awesome Wolf Howling Compilation

More
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Wolves - Howling - In Nature
As I said before there be wolves howling in that audio clip presented by Northern lights (NL). In the second audio clip those howls sound just like wolves howling. I'd betcha using Paul Stretch on certain parts of the second clip would match very closely to NL's audio clip.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 04:41 PM   #111
Pterodactyl
Muse
 
Pterodactyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 624
Could be wrong, but I think most of those louder howls can likely be attributed to a middle-aged, overweight Packer fan with chronic hemmorhoids enduring the excruciating bowel movement that follows a failed attempt on the "nuclear boneless wyngz" challenge at the local sports bar.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 05:21 PM   #112
smartcooky
Philosopher
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 6,427
Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
Orangutans are solitary primates only coming together to mate.
Actually, they are semi-solitary, but I take your point.

It would still take a very large population of bigfoots to support all those sightings, over such a wide area, and such a large population would be as easy to find as black bears
__________________
► 9/11 was a terrorist attack by Islamic extremists; 12 Apollo astronauts really did walk on the Moon; JFK was assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald,who acted alone.
► Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed. - Jay Utah
► Heisenberg's Law - The weirdness of the Universe is inversely proportional to the scale at which you observe it, or not.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 05:36 PM   #113
Castro
Muse
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 666
Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
I'm certain unicorns have never existed along with other magical creatures.
Good for you. No piece of bigfoot has ever been found. Not even a little one. No body, no bones, no flesh, no DNA, nothing, never. By contrast, bigfoot sounds, prints, stories are not lacking (funny that). It's almost as if bigfoot was a product of a mix of hoaxes and imagination. A perfect thing for internet imo. Unfortunately for footers I'm afraid that all that will never suffice to make their imaginary giant monkey a real animal. Science is cruel. Too bad. Saying about an unidentified sound that it could be a bigfoot call is clearly putting the cart before the horse.

Last edited by Castro; 5th March 2017 at 05:39 PM.
Castro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 06:30 PM   #114
Steve001
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,260
Originally Posted by Castro View Post
Good for you. No piece of bigfoot has ever been found. Not even a little one. No body, no bones, no flesh, no DNA, nothing, never. By contrast, bigfoot sounds, prints, stories are not lacking (funny that). It's almost as if bigfoot was a product of a mix of hoaxes and imagination. A perfect thing for internet imo. Unfortunately for footers I'm afraid that all that will never suffice to make their imaginary giant monkey a real animal. Science is cruel. Too bad. Saying about an unidentified sound that it could be a bigfoot call is clearly putting the cart before the horse.
You gave out of the blue a snarky reply and I quipped back and now it seems I hurt your feelings. I'm sorry.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 06:36 PM   #115
Steve001
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,260
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Actually, they are semi-solitary, but I take your point.

It would still take a very large population of bigfoots to support all those sightings, over such a wide area, and such a large population would be as easy to find as black bears
Yes it would, that's something for bigfooters too consider.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 11:18 PM   #116
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 15,538
Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
Yes it would, that's something for bigfooters too consider.
Fairly certain footers are aware of this, and other problems with the bigfoot hypothesis. These are merely handwaved away as inconvenient.
__________________
A sentimental materialization of the kind of quasi‐rural bonhomie that seemed a millimeter from actual goose‐stepping and brown‐shirt uproars of bumpkin fascism.

Tom McGuane
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2017, 11:57 PM   #117
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,861
Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
Unfortunately for bigfooters the rest of us can't be as confident as to the veracity of this claim. In short there is no natural history of bigfoot. Without that there's way to determine if a bigfoot made these sounds.
At first I gave you the benefit of the doubt. Now I see it is just trolling.

Sure, sure - you can say unicorns do not exist. But an alleged animal order of magnitude larger? Totally different story, lol.

The umpteenth person to walk in with the same arrogance - no need to show any respect to the people here by reading some of the thousands of posts on the subject. His Highness gets the de Novo treatment. Nothing in all previous human history need be acknowledged: gravity, mathematics, the alphabet - none exist until His Highness acknowledges so, and all should bring to his feet the arguments and evidence anew.

That's more what people get irked about - being insulted and toyed with, along with how tiring the feigned position is of virtually every single Bigfoot Live Action Alternate Reality Gamer we have ever seen. Actually, no it isn't reasonable at all to spend zero time looking into what everyone else here has demonstrated over the years in order to play coy.

For the rest, this is just another BLAARGer. Anyone can play the game and we have lots of experience with "skeptics" doing just this. A key feature of this alternate reality is this whole arrogant de Novo posture. The Arrogance of Ignorance.

The gamer has to maintain a position of plausible deniability: pretend he is not gaming us. Initially, the best way to do that is this Arrogance of not needing to show respect to anyone here by acknowledging the vast treasury of arguments and evidence prior to his arrival. After all, he is The King.

But enough contradictions have arisen now to call this one. Thanks for playing.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 05:54 AM   #118
Drewbot
Philosopher
 
Drewbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,845
Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
We winnow out all the easy-to-identify sounds and are left with that which we cannot identify - then ascribe them to bigfoot or ghosts or whatever, which is a lesson in drawing the false conclusion.
It is also a double whammy.

We not only take the unidentified sounds and attribute them to Bigfoot, but we attribute behavior to the Bigfoot, that fits the sounds.

An unidentified higher pitch howl= Clearly a juvenile Bigfoot looking for home

I've heard stories of Locator calls, mating calls, infrasound calls.

I just wish the NAWAC had recorded that tree breaking incident, i'm sure we would have heard the first "OOOOOOOOOHHHHH FUUUUUUUDDDDDGGEEEEEE" Bigfoot call, as the beast rode that tree 50' to crash on the ground below.
__________________
"I dont call that evolution, I call that the survival of the fittest." - Bulletmaker
"I thought skeptics would usually point towards a hoax rather than a group being duped." - makaya325
Kit is not a skeptic. He is a former Bigfoot believer that changed his position to that of non believer.- Crowlogic
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 06:09 AM   #119
Steve001
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,260
Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
At first I gave you the benefit of the doubt. Now I see it is just trolling.

Sure, sure - you can say unicorns do not exist. But an alleged animal order of magnitude larger? Totally different story, lol.

The umpteenth person to walk in with the same arrogance - no need to show any respect to the people here by reading some of the thousands of posts on the subject. His Highness gets the de Novo treatment. Nothing in all previous human history need be acknowledged: gravity, mathematics, the alphabet - none exist until His Highness acknowledges so, and all should bring to his feet the arguments and evidence anew.

That's more what people get irked about - being insulted and toyed with, along with how tiring the feigned position is of virtually every single Bigfoot Live Action Alternate Reality Gamer we have ever seen. Actually, no it isn't reasonable at all to spend zero time looking into what everyone else here has demonstrated over the years in order to play coy.

For the rest, this is just another BLAARGer. Anyone can play the game and we have lots of experience with "skeptics" doing just this. A key feature of this alternate reality is this whole arrogant de Novo posture. The Arrogance of Ignorance.

The gamer has to maintain a position of plausible deniability: pretend he is not gaming us. Initially, the best way to do that is this Arrogance of not needing to show respect to anyone here by acknowledging the vast treasury of arguments and evidence prior to his arrival. After all, he is The King.

But enough contradictions have arisen now to call this one. Thanks for playing.
Have I insulted anyone in this thread no, Have I ever insulted anyone in any thread no, unless they deserved it, truthist comes to mind. That post was mod deleted. Now you come flying in, read a few posts and think you have me all figured out. Your post reminds me of something Phil Plait spoke about. I hope you get the well deserved reference.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 06:20 AM   #120
Steve001
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,260
Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Fairly certain footers are aware of this, and other problems with the bigfoot hypothesis. These are merely handwaved away as inconvenient.
Bigfooters certainly don't have exclusive rights to handwaving away their cognitive dissonance. I see it all the time with many areas. It bugs me to know end folks cling to their strange particular ideology. There are two subjects that really get my dander up. Those two are evolution is false and climate change is a hoax.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:57 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.