ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 18th March 2017, 05:06 AM   #41
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Bluegill View Post
Does anyone think this might be an example of pareidolia? Or maybe that's not quite the right word for this, if it is--what I mean is, maybe the combination of background vegetation and pixelation just by chance made a very dude-in-a-baseball-cappy illusion.
I think it would be the right word, and is possible.

Pareidolia can be pretty powerful. Karen and I were sitting at a traffic light in Jacksonville Beach, FL trying to figure out the box sign across the way:

I thought it looked like an Arab with a hook nose. Karen settled on Frank Zappa.

What do you think?

"I doubt that!" - James Randi
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2017, 06:03 AM   #42
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Originally Posted by Learjet View Post
Amateur astronomer here also. The latest ghost hunting fad is with full spectrum cameras. As such there are quite a few models available that have been modified for ghost hunting, for which I am grateful for my interest in astrophotography and infrared scene photography.
So fake ghost, but real silver lining. I'll take that as a win for science.
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2017, 06:13 AM   #43
Jodie
Philosopher

The "ghost" looks like some kind of reflection of the guy bending over to me since he is wearing a ball cap too. I can't see the guy's face to know if their features match. When you have a cool morning followed by a hot humid day you can get some weird reflections in outdoor pics, that's probably what it is.
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 01:07 PM   #44
Steve
Master Poster

An astronomical number of people have died over the course of history, and every one of them has become a ghost. There is nowhere for them to go so they are all left hanging around on earth. There is only a finite amount of space for them so the earth is becoming overcrowded with ghosts. The result of this is that just about every photograph taken these days has ghosts in it. You just have to look closely to see them. Some are just easier to spot than others. So, yes, of course that is a real ghost. It is hard to avoid them really.

Now, should we discuss how ghosts occupy themselves with all that free time?
Old 21st March 2017, 07:33 AM   #45
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Now, should we discuss how ghosts occupy themselves with all that free time?
If this is going to be about ectoplasm, I don't want to know, thanks.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal