ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags spiders

Old 19th March 2017, 06:05 AM   #1
tinribmancer
NWO Templar Agent And Proud Of It!

Question 20cm spider in Western Europe that hisses.

I think I'm asking this in the right forum.

This is something that apparently happened in the 80's at my aunt & uncle's house. They claim up until today that they had a big black spider from 20 cm in their living room that started to hiss at my uncle when he tried to chase it out of their house.

Personally neither me nor my parents believe that story. Plus, back in the 80's, they lived right next to us, so my mother or father must've heard something if this was true (like my aunt yelling).

And, I'm pretty sure that those spiders can only be found in the amazon woods.

So, I told my mother that I would ask if spiders like that exist in this part of the world and whether they would hiss on that skepticforum that I visit.

So, in case the questions weren't clear yet:

1. hissing spiders, do they exist?
2. spiders from 20 cm in western europe, is this possible?

JC Denton

tinribmancer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2017, 06:11 AM   #2
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by tinribmancer View Post
I think I'm asking this in the right forum.

This is something that apparently happened in the 80's at my aunt & uncle's house. They claim up until today that they had a big black spider from 20 cm in their living room that started to hiss at my uncle when he tried to chase it out of their house.

Are you sure it wasn't a very small cat?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2017, 06:13 AM   #3
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

An escaped pet Tarantula?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2017, 06:14 AM   #4
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Google says wolf spiders and some tarantulas hiss.

Have you tried looking up spiders native to your area?

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 19th March 2017 at 06:19 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2017, 06:18 AM   #5
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
An escaped pet Tarantula?
When I was about 12, I found a tarantula in a vacant lot (Norwalk CA).
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2017, 06:57 AM   #6
tinribmancer

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Wasn't born yet. They still claim it was a spider.

@Captain_Swoop: they never had a pet spider.

@Skeptic Ginger: I have Arachnophobia. The last thing I'm going to be looking up on the internet, are crawling things with 8 legs (except scorpions).

I asked my father if he would look it up on his smartphone.

JC Denton

Last edited by tinribmancer; 19th March 2017 at 07:23 AM.
tinribmancer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2017, 07:08 AM   #7
baron
Illuminator

A goliath bird eating spider grows to that size, and larger, and also hisses. It must have been imported (if genuine). However, they are huge and bulky and not something you'd just chase out of your living room like a woodlouse or a wasp.
Old 19th March 2017, 07:09 AM   #8
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Do you mean the body was 20cm or the overall size, including legs?

Our big spiders can attain a size of around 100mm, including legs and tend to be aaaallllll legs.

Last edited by bluesjnr; 19th March 2017 at 07:12 AM.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2017, 07:40 AM   #9
tinribmancer

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
Do you mean the body was 20cm or the overall size, including legs?

Our big spiders can attain a size of around 100mm, including legs and tend to be aaaallllll legs.
Legs included.

Personally, I think it's a PIDOOMA. It's not the first time that my aunt & uncle are making up stories to get some attention...

JC Denton

Old 19th March 2017, 10:27 AM   #10
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Doesn’t have to be their pet spider, it could have wandered in from somewhere else.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2017, 10:30 AM   #11
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Big European Spiders
https://poitoucharentesinphotos.word...der-in-europe/
http://ednieuw.home.xs4all.nl/Spiders/spidhome.htm
Old 19th March 2017, 10:47 AM   #12
baron
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
The one in the OP was allegedly ten times that size.
Old 19th March 2017, 11:02 AM   #13
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

Last year during summer I had a spider in my home which was roughly 12 cm with legs. Even my cats were wary of playing with it. When i saw it I panicked and searched for a big book, line phone book. You can imagine the rest. It did not even splat fully. The body was more than 2cm in diameter.

I am still shivering thinking back about it.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2017, 01:13 PM   #14
Steve001
Graduate Poster

This is one bfs. https://youtu.be/aNHK565cVe8
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2017, 01:24 PM   #15
baron
Illuminator

Spider are great. I never kill spiders (or anything else for that matter). I always put them outside. The biggest one was too big to pick up so I went and got a pint glass but it wouldn't fit under that either. I guess its legs were about 4.5 inches across, its body 3/4 inch. Totally harmless, but very very fast.
Old 19th March 2017, 04:14 PM   #16
EHocking
Philosopher

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2017, 05:52 PM   #17
deadrose
Master Poster

We're one of two places in the Americas that have Eratigena atrica (previously known as Tegenaria Gigantea). They aren't 20 cm by any stretch, but they can certainly seem like that when they're skittering across the floor at you. I think the record is 10 cm, and the fastest true spider.

I try to let them be, because they're quite fond of dining on (or just outcompeting) hobo spiders and they would much rather run than bite. So as long as they don't get in my way, I'm content to share space with them.
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:18 PM   #18
Lensman
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
With 8 legs?

Must've been an octopussy.
If the early bird catches the worm - shouldn't the worm have stayed in bed?
Lensman is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal