IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Mark Basile

Old 3rd August 2015, 08:31 AM   #241
grandmastershek
Graduate Poster

Quote:
We are happy to report that Mark Basile´s red/gray chip study is finally back on track, after prolonged delays due to various problems that will not be detailed here
Isn't this the same "movement" that rambles on about transparency?
grandmastershek is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2015, 10:17 AM   #242
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
No word on what has been done. No word on when they will send samples. No word on if they have selected any specimens. No word on if they have selected any lab. No word on if and how the testing protocol has been changed from the original proposal (cue Rick, blabbing about this - I paraphrase - 'new (invented in the 1940s) Raman spectroscopy that Mark is looking into')

In other words: "Nothing has been done in one year. Sorry for procrastinating. The money looked real pretty in our bank account, thanks for throwing it at us!"
In other words, Basile's donors still don't even have an excuse. Ziggi says that "encountering some 'friction' was not unexpected" by most of them, but I should think that all of them expected some progress by now on a completely straight-forward process, but they don't even get an excuse why there's been none? What kind of "friction" prevents sending the stuff to a lab and asking them to identify it, Ziggi?
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2015, 12:33 PM   #243
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Mark Basile will (in addition to his own testing) delegate work to an independent lab (or several labs) sometime this fall, in order to confirm his own results - as promised in our fundraising campaign.

In other words: "Nothing has been done in one year. Sorry for procrastinating. The money looked real pretty in our bank account, thanks for throwing it at us!"
I'm a bit confused. What is he testing? According to the original study he was only going to select chips and send them out to be identified, emphasis on independent verification of the material. Basiles' job was only to make sure they had the right chips. If he needs to do lots of testing to make sure they get the right chips, that's an admission that the original papers selection criterion is woefully lacking.

Naturally "truthers" wouldn't notice but, this "update" makes no sense. Sorry Ziggy, try again........

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41

Last edited by DGM; 3rd August 2015 at 12:42 PM.
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2015, 12:34 AM   #244
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

[ETA]
Quite revealing of the truther mindset is this sentence: "Mark Basile will ... delegate work to an independent lab ... in order to confirm his own results".
The objective therefore is not analyze the red material and establish once and for all what it really is, and all its constituents (the identity of the organic binder, the identity of all the pigments, the exact composition of the gray oxidize structural steel layer) - no, the objective os to confirm their silly prejudice. They still don't grasp that among Mark's results was that he determined that the Al- and Fe- content is so extremely low (under 2 and 3%, respectively), compared to the organic content (>70%), that the observed exotherm reaction (the energy yield) must have been fulled to >99% by organic combustion on air - not a thermite reaction
[/ETA]

Perhaps Ziggi, when he reads this, can elaborate a bit on all the great things Mark hasn't done!
When this project was first proposed, it sounded like Basile intended to just repeat the Harrit experiments, which would have been a waste of time since that paper failed to prove anything; their conclusions didn't follow from their data. Then, later it sounded like Basile understood that to support those conclusions, the independent labs needed to do probative tests that Harrit didn't do, such as: do the chips contain elemental aluminum; do they ignite in an inert atmosphere; is aluminum oxide produced? Now, Ziggi says Basile intends for the labs to "confirm his own results?" WTF? I guess we have to wait until October to find out what that means, but I'll be waiting with greatly lowered expectations that it was worth waiting for.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2015, 06:32 AM   #245
Sunstealer
Illuminator

The whole thing is a nonsensical joke. Basile could get results inside 2 weeks if he wanted to. It really is the simplest thing in the world to get done.

What does "encountering some friction" mean? Why would there be any friction in the first place because all you are asking the lab(s) to do is provide quotes for the cost of doing the work to identify the material. Most would probably say they need to look at the sample in the SEM before deciding on further work, but that's not an issue.

SEM plus FTIR will do the job thoroughly. It's not even a days work.

Why have there been prolonged delays? It's laughable. I suspect they came up against the hard wall of reality when the labs they approached took one look at photographs of the chips and suggested procedures that would readily identify the material as red paint because that's exactly what the labs know the material is.

The fact that Ziggi has said they intend to delegate to the labs to confirm Basile's own results shows that they are probably dictating to the labs which tests and procedures they want done rather than tests that will positively identify the material.

Remember that they last thing these dishonest people want is the truth to be presented by a lab for all to see. They've invested too much to be shown up for the fools they are, so expect a massive fudge and a new round of fund raising.
Sunstealer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2015, 06:57 AM   #246
chrismohr
Master Poster

For what it's worth, I approached some two dozen labs before finding Jim Millette. Some refused to deal with me at all because it was connected to 9/11. Some refused because they feared that if there WERE thermite, it would damage their equipment. Some just suggested they do the tests with whatever equipment their lab happened to have. I found it to be very challenging. Sunstealer you might have been able to easily find a competent tester but it was not so easy for me. I too experienced "friction" along the way.
WTC Dust study http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64959841/911...12webHiRes.pdf Hundreds more links and info both sides: http:www.chrismohr911.com
chrismohr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2015, 09:45 AM   #247
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by beachnut View Post
Mark took a remedial physics class and figured out his claims on 911 were idiotic BS based on ... idiotic BS, a recursive kind of ignorance. So he dropped the study, and drank the money...
That would be the smartest move that any truther has done since the disappearance of the Buffet Slayer.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2015, 11:19 AM   #248
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by chrismohr View Post
For what it's worth, I approached some two dozen labs before finding Jim Millette. Some refused to deal with me at all because it was connected to 9/11. Some refused because they feared that if there WERE thermite, it would damage their equipment. Some just suggested they do the tests with whatever equipment their lab happened to have. I found it to be very challenging. Sunstealer you might have been able to easily find a competent tester but it was not so easy for me. I too experienced "friction" along the way.
Mark is a chemical engineer and works at (or perhaps used to work at) Waters, company that offers products and solutions for chemical analysis. Within his work environment, Mark has (or had) personal access to some of the analytical machinery we are talking about here. No doubt, Waters, and quite probably Mark himself, already have frequent contact to other professional analytical labs, so it should be relatively easy for Mark to find a suitable lab.

Perhaps some of the labs he contacted did a quick google seacht and determined that they have been contacted by a nutjob representing a weird fringe of irrational people, aiming to abuse their reputation for a wild goose chase with a foregone conclusion.
Old 4th August 2015, 01:45 PM   #249
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

For context, how did you approach the labs? Was it "can you test this for thermite?" or "I have these chips and I need to know what they are?" . The later in my opinion would be the way to go.

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2015, 03:39 PM   #250
jaydeehess
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by DGM View Post
For context, how did you approach the labs? Was it "can you test this for thermite?" or "I have these chips and I need to know what they are?" . The later in my opinion would be the way to go.
Possibly, but they might want background. If it were possible there was thermite, as mentioned above, there is the possibility of damaging equipment.
jaydeehess is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2015, 03:55 PM   #251
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Originally Posted by jaydeehess View Post
Possibly, but they might want background. If it were possible there was thermite, as mentioned above, there is the possibility of damaging equipment.
Thermite is not an unstable compound. Basic testing will tell them if it's something they need to be concerned with. What identifying technique would they use that would damage their equipment. Only a moron would light something on fire to see what it was.

Old 4th August 2015, 04:17 PM   #252
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jaydeehess View Post
That's nonsense, IMO. The specimens are so tiny, the Al-content so low, the expected maximum energy yield from a hypothetical thermite reaction therefor so miniscule, that it would at most scratch a sample holder - not explode the chamber and machine. Don't know what such mounts cost, but can't be the world. Just bill it to the customer if they need to exchange such a spare part.
Old 4th August 2015, 04:32 PM   #253
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

The only "friction" I can see is the lab not wanting to get into a patent fight. It would be like bringing a caramel colored liquid in and saying "What are the ingredients?".

You brought them a paint chip and you want the formula, It's that simple.

Old 4th August 2015, 08:59 PM   #254
chrismohr
Master Poster

I did ask them to test for thermite rather than ask, what is this? And Oystein, at least two labs said they won't touch anything that might be thermite because of the damage it could cause.
WTC Dust study http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64959841/911...12webHiRes.pdf Hundreds more links and info both sides: http:www.chrismohr911.com
chrismohr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2015, 11:51 PM   #255
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

I did ask them to test for thermite rather than ask, what is this? And Oystein, at least two labs said they won't touch anything that might be thermite because of the damage it could cause.
I know, and it's nonsense. Perhaps you didn't tell them, or they didn't understand, how tiny the specimens would be, and that they were already known to contain only a small proportion of Al.
Old 5th August 2015, 09:26 PM   #256
chrismohr
Master Poster

It was nonsense, I agree, but for me it was definitely "friction" as well!
Old 11th August 2015, 10:37 AM   #257
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Naturally "truthers" wouldn't notice but, this "update" makes no sense. Sorry Ziggy, try again........
Request denied, apparently...
Old 11th August 2015, 06:14 PM   #258
BasqueArch
Graduate Poster

It was nonsense, I agree, but for me it was definitely "friction" as well!
It's obvious Basile's real problem is "fiction" not "friction."
In Your Guts You Know They're Nuts. "There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true." -Kierkegaard . "The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. "- Marcus Aurelius
A Truther is a True Believer convinced by lies. You can't reason someone out of a thing they weren't reasoned into.There's a sucker born every minute-Barnum
BasqueArch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2015, 06:37 PM   #259
Redwood
Graduate Poster

It seems that Basile's website is "unavailable". (http://markbasile.org)
Redwood is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2015, 06:39 PM   #260
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
It's still there.

Not that they are actually accomplishing anything...........

Old 25th September 2015, 06:51 PM   #261
Redwood
Graduate Poster

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood

It's still there.

Not that they are actually accomplishing anything...........
My browser still says "Site not available". WAIT! Now I can get his site! What gives? Is this all part of the Vast Conspiracy?
Redwood is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2015, 07:14 PM   #262
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Bump:

I'm surprised how long it takes to send a sample to a competent lab.

Old 8th October 2015, 11:53 PM   #263
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Bump:

Perhaps Criteria, when (s)he reads this, can contact Ziggi and inquire about a new status report. After all, Ziggi blogged two months ago:
Originally Posted by Ziggi Zugam
We hope to give you another update in early October.
Old 9th October 2015, 02:17 AM   #264
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Bump:

Maybe all the competent labs are seeing how they respond to results they don't like, and thinking better of having anythng to do with them.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2015, 09:00 PM   #265
Redwood
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Maybe all the competent labs are seeing how they respond to results they don't like, and thinking better of having anythng to do with them.

Dave
More likely, Basile & Co. got the "bad" news back from the lab[s] and have decided to suppress the results, like Harrit's FTIR and XRD results.
Old 9th October 2015, 11:29 PM   #266
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
More likely, Basile & Co. got the "bad" news back from the lab[s] and have decided to suppress the results, like Harrit's FTIR and XRD results.
No, why would so twooffull people be so dishonest?
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2015, 11:48 AM   #267
Sunstealer
Illuminator

I don't think Mark Basile's study will ever get done. They know the results from an independent lab would make them all look very silly.
Sunstealer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2015, 03:45 PM   #268
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Originally Posted by Sunstealer View Post
I don't think Mark Basile's study will ever get done.
My prediction. As they have already changed the study to "confirming" Basiles finding instead of doing the actual work(*). They will claim the lab was wrong/ sold out and carry on as usual (until the need more money to do it again).

"Truthers" won't question this. They have never questioned the word of their leaders.

(*) a point no "truther" has dared to point out.

Last edited by DGM; 13th October 2015 at 03:47 PM.
Old 13th October 2015, 03:56 PM   #269
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Then: What was going to be done by an independent lab.

Quote:
Proposal:
Sample Preparation:
- Red/gray chip separation using optical microscopy and magnetic attraction to assist in isolation of particles of interest.
- Optical images of collected particulates as collected at appropriate magnifications to record condition as collected.
Sample Analysis:
- SEM/EDX with elemental quantification of red/gray chips, both red and gray layers.
- FTIR analysis of organic components of red/gray chips, both red and gray layers.
- ESCA small spot technique with argon ion sputter for depth profiling to definitively establish the presence of elemental aluminum within the red layer of the red/gray chips. Scans of gray layer also to be taken to add to information base.
- DSC analysis of red/gray chips focusing on exothermic/endothermic reactions near 400 degrees C. Some chips to be scanned in inert atmosphere and some in air or oxygen containing gas stream.
- SEM/EDX with elemental quantification of residual products of DSC analysis of red/gray chips.
- Optical images of reaction products after DSC experiments.
Now:

Quote:
It has been almost a full year since we posted our last update, and some of our readers were starting to express concern about the lack of new updates.

We are happy to report that Mark Basile´s red/gray chip study is finally back on track, after prolonged delays due to various problems that will not be detailed here. I am sure, however, that most of our supporters knew and realized from the beginning that encountering some "friction" was not unexpected.

Mark Basile will (in addition to his own testing) delegate work to an independent lab (or several labs) sometime this fall, in order to confirm his own results - as promised in our fundraising campaign.

Thank you all for your donations and patience!
Can anyone spot the shift in the study?

Old 15th October 2015, 09:31 AM   #270
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

It's now officially mid-October and no progress report. You'd think Ziggi would at least post an new excuse.
Old 15th October 2015, 10:40 PM   #271
ProBonoShill
Master Poster

How *********** difficult is it to get a simple study done?
ProBonoShill is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2015, 03:30 AM   #272
Sunstealer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by ProBonoShill View Post
How *********** difficult is it to get a simple study done?
Not difficult at all. It would take a couple of weeks at the most to arrange, agree fees, carry out and then report. Just ask a lab to find out what the material is as cheaply as possible.

A lab would do a quick visual study, then straight into the SEM to have a closer look. Then use EDX on the layers and the particles in the red layer. That would tell them the material is paint adhered to steel. Wouldn't take a day, someone getting a move on could do it in half a day for one chip. Then they'd probably contact the submitter with a brief email giving details and then ask if they wanted to fund further study (FTIR) to identify the carbon based matrix and whether they want further conformation of particle type using other methods.

I think Basile fears being found out.
Old 16th October 2015, 06:11 AM   #273
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Sunstealer View Post
Not difficult at all. It would take a couple of weeks at the most to arrange, agree fees, carry out and then report. Just ask a lab to find out what the material is as cheaply as possible.

A lab would do a quick visual study, then straight into the SEM to have a closer look. Then use EDX on the layers and the particles in the red layer. That would tell them the material is paint adhered to steel. Wouldn't take a day, someone getting a move on could do it in half a day for one chip. Then they'd probably contact the submitter with a brief email giving details and then ask if they wanted to fund further study (FTIR) to identify the carbon based matrix and whether they want further conformation of particle type using other methods.

I think Basile fears being found out.
No not Basile he is so dedicated to the truth.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2015, 06:41 AM   #274
cantonear1968
Graduate Poster

Quote:
It has been almost a full year since we posted our last update, and some of our readers were starting to express concern about the lack of new updates.

We are happy to report that Mark Basile´s red/gray chip study is finally back on track, after prolonged delays due to various problems that will not be detailed here. I am sure, however, that most of our supporters knew and realized from the beginning that encountering some "friction" was not unexpected.

Thank you all for your donations and patience!

Nice! Just ambiguous enough to give the impression they were harassed by The Powers That Be.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
-Good luck America with President Trump
cantonear1968 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2015, 08:59 PM   #275
alienentity
Illuminator

Seriously? Nothing yet? this is embarrassing for all his supporters.

It's almost as lame as the nonexistent followup from Jones et al., which they promised waaaay back in 2009!!

alienentity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2015, 11:07 PM   #276
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by Crazy Chainsaw View Post
No not Basile he is so dedicated to the truth.
As long as the truth confirms his beliefs.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2015, 02:54 AM   #277
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

Originally Posted by tsig View Post
As long as the truth confirms his beliefs.
Did you mean to say lines his pockets with cash, because that's what I heard.
Old 4th November 2015, 06:45 AM   #278
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

[long email conversation deleted]

And just as I had concluded that there would not come a response from Mark Basile, here it is, fresh in my inbox as I was writing the original version of this post:
Originally Posted by Mark Basile
Gentlemen,

I am working on this project still. Results will be made public when ready and not sooner.

If anyone thinks I am going to ruin my reputation over a sum which is close to, but never actually even reached $5000 they are wrong.

All funds are safe and untouched.

If your patience is expired then I suggest you initiate your own study.

Mark

Last edited by Oystein; 4th November 2015 at 06:49 AM. Reason: Re-do due to breaking news
Oystein is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2015, 07:27 AM   #279
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

[long email conversation deleted]

And just as I had concluded that there would not come a response from Mark Basile, here it is, fresh in my inbox as I was writing the original version of this post:
Why would someone working so slow it's like watching a dead snail race, try anyone's patience?

The Basile study is over, before it began either that or they will try to sneek in some paint
Chips they modified, I know longer trust Basile too little to late and no real reason for it.
Old 4th November 2015, 07:50 AM   #280
jaydeehess
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
If anyone thinks I am going to ruin my reputation over a sum which is close to, but never actually even reached $5000 they are wrong
Not producing anything despite a long time working at it is exactly one criticism truthers level at NIST, and one reason why they have no regard for NIST's reputation.

Basile IS damaging his reputation by being so slow.

Last edited by jaydeehess; 4th November 2015 at 07:51 AM.
jaydeehess is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories