ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags abortion issues , abortion laws , Ireland elections , Ireland issues , Ireland politics

Old 14th June 2018, 09:15 AM   #481
catsmate
No longer the 1

The three legal challenges to the referendum result will be heard on 26JUN.

Another referendum is proposed for October to eliminate blasphemy laws. It will probably be simultaneous with the presidential election.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2018, 06:44 AM   #482
catsmate
No longer the 1

In fact the three referenda proposed for October seem to be on schedule again. That is:
If Ireland should have directly elected mayors
Removal of the laws on blasphemy
The role of women in the home

The next tranche are currently proposed for June 2019. They are:
Extension of voting rights to citizens living abroad
Liberalising the divorce laws
Reducing the voting age to 16
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2018, 12:03 PM   #483
ddt
Mafia Penguin

There were a couple of posts in another thread that have bearing on this thread. I've highlighted the relevant part:

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Bearing in mind Finns were resistant to fascism, even pre-Hitler atrocities, it seems hardly likely they would have turned into card-carrying Nazis, either, as ddt et al like to think.

Unfortunately, some Lutheran pastors' beliefs are not far removed from fascism. A Norwegian pastor visited my church a few weeks ago. I went into shock by his attitude as he ranted on about how he was against women being ordained, abortion, gay marriage, etc., so much so I stayed away a couple of weeks.
Originally Posted by ddt View Post
Originally Posted by Vixen
Bearing in mind Finns were resistant to fascism, even pre-Hitler atrocities, it seems hardly likely they would have turned into card-carrying Nazis, either, as ddt et al like to think.
Judging by the election results of the IKL, likely as many Finns as of my countrymen.
Originally Posted by Vixen
Unfortunately, some Lutheran pastors' beliefs are not far removed from fascism. A Norwegian pastor visited my church a few weeks ago. I went into shock by his attitude as he ranted on about how he was against women being ordained, abortion, gay marriage, etc., so much so I stayed away a couple of weeks.
Bwahaha. Who called abortion a "silent holocaust" just a month ago?

And I'm at a loss what this has to do with fascism? This is ordinary, run-of-the-mill, religious social conservatism. What was his commentary on Romans 13?
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Originally Posted by ddt
Judging by the election results of the IKL, likely as many Finns as of my countrymen.

Bwahaha. Who called abortion a "silent holocaust" just a month ago?

And I'm at a loss what this has to do with fascism? This is ordinary, run-of-the-mill, religious social conservatism. What was his commentary on Romans 13?
There is a big difference between taking a position in a forum debate and actually going out lecturing people. In that thread, I took the position of the unborn foetus.

But I thought you said these loony vicars were fascists?
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

"I think accuracy is important" - Vixen

Last edited by ddt; 28th June 2018 at 12:05 PM.
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics