IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bitcoin , cryptocurrency

Old 3rd October 2019, 12:52 AM   #201
trustbutverify
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
I just made a prediction with a stop loss.
Thank you for attending
You just flipped a coin.

Thank you for pretending.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2019, 02:12 AM   #202
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
You just flipped a coin.

Thank you for pretending.
Flipping coin is too rational, I doubt he did that.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2019, 03:46 AM   #203
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
Flipping coin is too rational, I doubt he did that.
Yes you are quite correct. Flipping coins resolves with time but the stupidity of investors is inviolate. I will tell you stalwarts when to take profit on this short position. The medium drive for 5k is underway I might remind.
Thank you.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2019, 04:21 AM   #204
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

Yes you are quite correct. Flipping coins resolves with time but the stupidity of investors is inviolate. I will tell you stalwarts when to take profit on this short position. The medium drive for 5k is underway I might remind.
Thank you.
so funny.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2019, 04:54 AM   #205
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
so funny.
Hmm
I am giving proper advice.
Why be derisive? I have stated I don't trade the entity so am completely objective. Any number of platforms offer a 50 dollar spread which is wide but tractable.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2019, 10:11 AM   #206
trustbutverify
Penultimate Amazing

Hmm
I am giving proper advice.
Why be derisive? I have stated I don't trade the entity so am completely objective. Any number of platforms offer a 50 dollar spread which is wide but tractable.
Given your(remarkable)record of catastrophic failure, wouldn't it be ethical to advise folk to bet the opposite of your random guesses?
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2019, 11:00 AM   #207
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

With bitcoin at 8316, I strongly suggest shorting the magic carpet.
As always, the thread records in perpetuity the nonsense.
Thank you for attending.
What, exactly, are you proposing here?
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2019, 11:38 AM   #208
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
What, exactly, are you proposing here?
Bitcoin suddenly shed about $2000 last week. Samson is guessing using TA to suggest that further price drops will happen in the near future.
Old 4th October 2019, 12:53 AM   #209
Tolls
Philosopher

For a vague definition of "near future"?
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2019, 02:00 AM   #210
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
For a vague definition of "near future"?
I see 2 and a half thousand in about 4 months, it is all a bit like an open mic night , all singing to each other.
Old 4th October 2019, 11:31 AM   #211
trustbutverify
Penultimate Amazing

I see 2 and a half thousand in about 4 months, it is all a bit like an open mic night , all singing to each other.
You seem to be the only one singing... and way, way off key.
Old 4th October 2019, 11:40 AM   #212
xjx388

Be specific. BTC value =$2.5K or BTC loses another $2.5K or BTC gains $2.5K?

My prediction: BTC will be at a price that is completely unpredictable in four months. Could be lunch meat; could be peaches...we won’t know ‘til the van is opened.
Old 5th October 2019, 12:08 AM   #213
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

As reply to last 2 posts, I see a technical and fundamental picture concording (is that a word)
The infinite supply of crypto currencies is the fundamental reason they are a nonsense.

Being captured by the apparent genius of Craig Wright is a temporary foolishness.

Last edited by Samson; 5th October 2019 at 12:09 AM.
Old 5th October 2019, 02:53 AM   #214
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

The infinite supply of crypto currencies is the fundamental reason they are a nonsense.
The infinite supply of gold is also why it is a nonsense. OK, some of it is called iron, or copper, or lead, or etc. But metal is metal, right?
Old 5th October 2019, 03:21 AM   #215
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
The infinite supply of gold is also why it is a nonsense. OK, some of it is called iron, or copper, or lead, or etc. But metal is metal, right?
No
The important principal of a heavy metal like gold is that all the heavier metals are more rare precious and beautiful.
So you cant introduce fools gold without down weighting
Old 5th October 2019, 03:27 AM   #216
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Special pleading.
Old 5th October 2019, 03:54 AM   #217
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Special pleading.
wut?

avoir dupois is a stringent test.
Bitcoin is cleverly man made but a worthless construct for the god's eye.
Old 5th October 2019, 03:58 AM   #218
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

wut?

avoir dupois is a stringent test.
Bitcoin is cleverly man made but a worthless construct for the god's eye.
I didn't know that you are religious. AFAIK he old notion of "noble" metals and "base" metals doesn't exist any more since they were mostly a religious distinction anyway.

Since you draw a distinction between gold and other metals, you must draw the same distinction between bitcoin and other cryptos.
Old 6th October 2019, 12:51 AM   #219
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

I didn't know that you are religious. AFAIK he old notion of "noble" metals and "base" metals doesn't exist any more since they were mostly a religious distinction anyway.

Since you draw a distinction between gold and other metals, you must draw the same distinction between bitcoin and other cryptos.
I am surely not "religious", the word seems foreign to the forum fortunately.
There are 104 elements in the universe and nearly 3000 so called crypto currencies. In a trillion years there will be 104 elements on the periodic table and no crypto currencies.

ETA from wiki

Elements 95 to 118 have only been synthesized in laboratories or nuclear reactors.[3] The synthesis of elements having higher atomic numbers is currently being pursued: these elements would begin an eighth row, and theoretical work has been done to suggest possible candidates for this extension. Numerous synthetic radionuclides of naturally occurring elements have also been produced in laboratories.

It seems easier to extend the list of cryptos than lists of things like gold.

Last edited by Samson; 6th October 2019 at 12:53 AM.
Old 6th October 2019, 12:07 PM   #220
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Such confidence in assertion without fact.
How delightful, let's watch that short at 8316 with a stop loss at

For the record I would cover that short here at 7876.
One reason I like bitcoin is that traders are fresh and fall for all the tricks and deceits of free markets.
Old 7th October 2019, 12:47 AM   #221
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

There are 104 elements in the universe and nearly 3000 so called crypto currencies.
Only one of them is bitcoin.
Old 7th October 2019, 03:04 AM   #222
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Only one of them is bitcoin.
Interestingly the fashion now is to say bitcoin circulation will be stretched like fiat, so the one true quantity constrained crypto is like those things in Alien the movie.
Old 7th October 2019, 07:05 AM   #223
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

How does one stretch 21M BTC "like fiat"?
Old 7th October 2019, 12:45 PM   #224
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

How does one stretch 21M BTC "like fiat"?
I skimmed this link

https://bitcoinist.com/bitcoin-btc-s...er-21-million/
Old 8th October 2019, 12:48 AM   #225
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Fancy fractional reserve banking being possible with bitcoin? Who'd have thunk? I'm shocked I tells you, SHOCKED!!!

No wait, I just remembered something:
Originally Posted by psionl0 on 4th June 2011
Once people start writing their IOUs in bitcoins you will have fractional reserve banking and a boom/bust economy similar to gold standard days.
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...54#post7249154

Yet again, there is nothing new under the sun. And the Ripple network has been designed to transmit IOUs whether they be in gold, bitcoin, fiat currency or any other currency you might want to make up (I still have some PSIONS on Ripple if anybody is interested).

Last edited by psionl0; 8th October 2019 at 12:50 AM.
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 02:22 AM   #226
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Fancy fractional reserve banking being possible with bitcoin? Who'd have thunk? I'm shocked I tells you, SHOCKED!!!

No wait, I just remembered something:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...54#post7249154

Yet again, there is nothing new under the sun. And the Ripple network has been designed to transmit IOUs whether they be in gold, bitcoin, fiat currency or any other currency you might want to make up (I still have some PSIONS on Ripple if anybody is interested).
Bitcoin maximalists will always despise cryptos that can breed like cockroaches.
Of course that is exactly what cryptos do, so the maximalists preach like the lotus eaters.

We should all short bitcoin here on the algorithm at 8568

eta yes psion I read your original post, if only we could stop sniping at each other.

Last edited by Samson; 10th October 2019 at 02:23 AM.
Old 10th October 2019, 09:11 AM   #227
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Bitcoin maximalists will always despise cryptos that can breed like cockroaches.
Of course that is exactly what cryptos do, so the maximalists preach like the lotus eaters.
As usual, your response appears to bear no relation whatsoever to what you have quoted.

I say "appears" because in your attempts to appear intelligent, you have made up expressions that are so sophisticated that they are essentially meaningless.
Old 10th October 2019, 11:55 PM   #228
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

As usual, your response appears to bear no relation whatsoever to what you have quoted.

I say "appears" because in your attempts to appear intelligent, you have made up expressions that are so sophisticated that they are essentially meaningless.
I am not trying to appear intelligent, I realise there are far better brains on ISF.
However I do make predictions and log them, in the hope that they work, and they all do.

TA is a simple process that does work.
Old 11th October 2019, 07:06 AM   #229
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

I am not trying to appear intelligent, I realise there are far better brains on ISF.
However I do make predictions and log them, in the hope that they work, and they all do.

No, your predictions don't all work.

Furthermore the nature of your predictions makes it pretty easy for them to work. All you have to do is not pick an all time high/low because you don't apply any kind of timescale.

TA is nonsense and if it wasn't you'd keep quiet about it while the millions and billions flooded in.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 08:00 AM   #230
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
No, your predictions don't all work.

Furthermore the nature of your predictions makes it pretty easy for them to work. All you have to do is not pick an all time high/low because you don't apply any kind of timescale.

TA is nonsense and if it wasn't you'd keep quiet about it while the millions and billions flooded in.
Which is a statement tantamount to the thought experiment saying the big bang did not happen because you can't get something from nothing.
Old 11th October 2019, 11:05 AM   #231
trustbutverify
Penultimate Amazing

Have you lost your mind? Your "predictions" are overwhelmingly failures. Given it's as unlikely to be always wrong as it is to be always right, it would be virtually impossible for every one of your blind guesses to be wrong, simply by random chance. Your overall record is astonishingly inaccurate.

Maybe TA works... but certainly not in your hands.

Last edited by trustbutverify; 11th October 2019 at 11:07 AM.
Old 18th October 2019, 01:52 AM   #232
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Have you lost your mind? Your "predictions" are overwhelmingly failures. Given it's as unlikely to be always wrong as it is to be always right, it would be virtually impossible for every one of your blind guesses to be wrong, simply by random chance. Your overall record is astonishingly inaccurate.

Maybe TA works... but certainly not in your hands.
Careless and unscientific post.
For fundamental and technical reasons the crypto world is in structural price decline.
Why not join the party by shorting Bitcoin?
Old 18th October 2019, 02:07 AM   #233
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

For fundamental and technical reasons the crypto world is in structural price decline.
What are these "fundamental" and "technical" reasons. Are they anything new?
Old 18th October 2019, 02:39 AM   #234
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Quantum computing comes to mind ...
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2019, 02:40 AM   #235
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

I guess in a moment of TA objectivity I see a substantial rally here in the deplorable "assets"
7952 right now for bitcoin..
Old 20th October 2019, 06:00 AM   #236
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

I guess in a moment of TA objectivity I see a substantial rally here in the deplorable "assets"
Well we shouldn't be surprised. Comments driven by random data will come out as random.
Old 20th October 2019, 09:02 AM   #237
trustbutverify
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe. Or maybe not.
Old 21st October 2019, 02:46 AM   #238
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe. Or maybe not.
I am used to this.
The silence of the lambs.
Old 21st October 2019, 03:17 AM   #239
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

I am used to this.
And I am used to your responses being just a string of random words that bear no relation to what you quoted whatsoever.
Old 21st October 2019, 04:12 AM   #240
Belz...
Fiend God

I am used to this.
The silence of the lambs.
...what?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance