IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bitcoin , cryptocurrency

Old 21st October 2019, 08:46 AM   #241
trustbutverify
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
I am used to this.
The silence of the lambs.
What the devil are you talking about now?
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2019, 09:50 AM   #242
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

For fundamental and technical reasons the crypto world is in structural price decline.
I guess in a moment of TA objectivity I see a substantial rally here in the deplorable "assets"
Proof that you are right 50% of the time.
Old 22nd October 2019, 04:02 PM   #243
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Proof that you are right 50% of the time.
I don't know why you make these statements, bitcoin is a very technical market, and everyone should profit from it, though I cerainly don't want to encourage the nonsense.
That rally has expired as expected and at 8070 now an outstanding short.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2019, 10:03 PM   #244
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

I don't know why you make these statements, bitcoin is a very technical market, and everyone should profit from it, though I cerainly don't want to encourage the nonsense.
I guess that I shouldn't say "50%". Your language is so vague that it could literally mean anything.

That "substantial rally" doesn't even register when you draw the price chart to the same scale that saw a moderate (20%) price drop on 24 September.

All I know for certain is that everybody who has ever predicted a terminal (or "structural") price decline has wound up with egg on their faces. Since you employ the same debating technique as the author of the money thread, you are likely to be permanently eggy despite your constant attempts to reinterpret your past statements.
Old 23rd October 2019, 01:59 AM   #245
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

I guess that I shouldn't say "50%". Your language is so vague that it could literally mean anything.

That "substantial rally" doesn't even register when you draw the price chart to the same scale that saw a moderate (20%) price drop on 24 September.

All I know for certain is that everybody who has ever predicted a terminal (or "structural") price decline has wound up with egg on their faces. Since you employ the same debating technique as the author of the money thread, you are likely to be permanently eggy despite your constant attempts to reinterpret your past statements.
Exactly. Unless Bitcoin is at an all time high or has set a new benchmark low, Samson's "Bitcoin will go up/down" style "predictions" will eventually be right.

I realise this is an argument from incredulity but if I had an effective TA algorithm, I'd either keep very quiet about it and make millions or billions trading or sell it to a major financial institution for a huge sum. If I wasn't interested in personal enrichment, I'd donate most or all of the proceeds to charity.

I wouldn't be spending my time boasting about it on a minor internet forum.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2019, 02:29 AM   #246
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Exactly. Unless Bitcoin is at an all time high or has set a new benchmark low, Samson's "Bitcoin will go up/down" style "predictions" will eventually be right.

I realise this is an argument from incredulity but if I had an effective TA algorithm, I'd either keep very quiet about it and make millions or billions trading or sell it to a major financial institution for a huge sum. If I wasn't interested in personal enrichment, I'd donate most or all of the proceeds to charity.

I wouldn't be spending my time boasting about it on a minor internet forum.
The fate of the bitcoin scenic route is independant of my aspirations or aims for self enrichment. I am simply telling the thread where I would buy in real time, and where I would sell.
The thread is the record, and bitcoin affords candy from many babies.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2019, 02:33 AM   #247
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

I guess in a moment of TA objectivity I see a substantial rally here in the deplorable "assets"
7952 right now for bitcoin..
That was a substantial rally?
Old 23rd October 2019, 02:44 AM   #248
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
Come on, it was almost 4% ! That's unheard of on market as stable as bitcoin.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2019, 02:58 AM   #249
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
The rally exceeded 8350, so 5%.
But importantly the price was straight there after the post, so risk/reward was close to 1 to 25 on
Old 23rd October 2019, 03:57 AM   #250
Tolls
Philosopher

So you're rich now then?
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2019, 10:40 AM   #251
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
So you're rich now then?
I know it's not entirely relevant to the thread, but if it makes any difference my Ripple hasn't made me rich. If Sam has something that will work for Ripple I'd be all ears.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2019, 12:59 PM   #252
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
I know it's not entirely relevant to the thread, but if it makes any difference my Ripple hasn't made me rich. If Sam has something that will work for Ripple I'd be all ears.
Ripple was about 0.29 when I posted BC was a great short at 8070, and now seems to be 0.267, they all move roughly together.
I guess I will continue to post on bitcoin. As I keep trying to explain, the cryptos are very technical markets because no one has any idea of intrinsic value.
Of course I think that value is zero.
Old 23rd October 2019, 06:23 PM   #253
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

Bitcoin Price En Route to Descending Triangle Target of $5,000
Quote:
After a 45% Drop, Bitcoin Price Has a Lot More Room to Fall

Bitcoin price is currently trading below $7,500, an over 45% drop from the high of the 2019 parabolic rally that took the price of the leading crypto asset to $14,000 before being rejected... The powerful drop confirmed the chart pattern as valid and took the price of the first-ever cryptocurrency to $7,700 where it bounced and consolidated for a few weeks in what appeared to be a textbook bear flag. But the bear flag was formed along the way to what a prominent crypto analyst says is the eventual target of $5,000, according to a measurement taken from the height of the triangle to its base...

If for some reason $5,000 does breakdown further, Bitcoin would be at risk of potentially setting a new bear market low – suggesting that a bottom wasn’t actually in, and it could cause widespread fear and panic across the cryptocurrency market.
But...

Quote:
A strong bounce at $5,000 or any of the aforementioned support levels would result in a successful retest and confirmation of resistance turned support, and could give bulls enough confidence to be able to push Bitcoin back into a bull market, and out of the claws of bearish traders.
Is Bitcoin finished, or can it break free from the bear's claws and live to see another day? Tune in to next week's exciting episode!
Old 23rd October 2019, 09:59 PM   #254
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
Who'd have thought that you could find an article that was negative on bitcoin? And on the internet of all places! I salute your extraordinary detective skills!

OTOH, with its talk about "triangles" (and other TA terms), lack of a time table and no failure of prediction definitions, you might as well just quote Samson.
Old 23rd October 2019, 11:01 PM   #255
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Who'd have thought that you could find an article that was negative on bitcoin? And on the internet of all places! I salute your extraordinary detective skills!

OTOH, with its talk about "triangles" (and other TA terms), lack of a time table and no failure of prediction definitions, you might as well just quote Samson.
Interestingly the logarithmic triangle target is 6 thousand, I also noticed Roger's article.
But let us not quibble, I will post an idea to buy these cursed cryptos when appropriate simply because I can get it right.
Old 24th October 2019, 06:20 AM   #256
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

Interestingly the logarithmic triangle target is 6 thousand, I also noticed Roger's article.
But let us not quibble, I will post an idea to buy these cursed cryptos when appropriate simply because I can get it right.
It's important to have dreams
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2019, 07:11 PM   #257
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Xi Ping says embrace blockchain, without mentioning cryptos, but btc rallied 40 %
One mother of a short squeeze.
Old 25th October 2019, 08:57 PM   #258
fromdownunder
Philosopher

Based on Coindesk figures, Bitcoin started today at $7,452, jumped as high as $10,332 and is now $9,551 as I type. You must have a remarkable ability to be able to develop a program capable of predicting this sort of freak event.

Norm

fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2019, 09:06 PM   #259
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post
Based on Coindesk figures, Bitcoin started today at $7,452, jumped as high as $10,332 and is now $9,551 as I type. You must have a remarkable ability to be able to develop a program capable of predicting this sort of freak event.

Norm
Fair question.
The algorithm is very simple, as required by minimal optimisation.
I last said short at 8070, and the market got to about 7350, a decline of 8.2%

There is no point me saying what I would have done at that point. No one suggests they predict everything, but frequently there is a high probability of a particular direction, and success is about going further into the money than out of the money after placing the bet. A simple Turing tape will give a winning strategy.
Old 25th October 2019, 11:15 PM   #260
fromdownunder
Philosopher

So you make it all your real or theoretical profits based on predictions made after the actual event. Got it.

Norm

fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2019, 12:29 AM   #261
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post
So you make it all your real or theoretical profits based on predictions made after the actual event. Got it.

Norm
No you did not got it Norm.
I said short at 8070, run a Turing tape to exit and enter more positions.
Any mathematician on this forum will understand my post, and if they do not they are not a mathematician.
Old 26th October 2019, 12:48 AM   #262
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

And at 9449 right now, I suggest going short for 8600 target
Old 26th October 2019, 01:37 AM   #263
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Any mathematician on this forum will understand that my post is nonsense, and if they do not they are not a mathematician.
ftfy. You don't even have to be a mathematician to understand this.

Face it, predicting bitcoin's price day to day is like predicting next week's lotto numbers. Pure soothsaying.

Based on history, one might be able to make some predictions for the long term price of bitcoin with a small degree of confidence. For example, there is a reasonable probability that the price of bitcoin will again exceed $20,000 - maybe by a big margin. However, we may be looking at years before this happens.
Old 26th October 2019, 01:40 AM   #264
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

ftfy. You don't even have to be a mathematician to understand this.

Face it, predicting bitcoin's price day to day is like predicting next week's lotto numbers. Pure soothsaying.

Based on history, one might be able to make some predictions for the long term price of bitcoin with a small degree of confidence. For example, there is a reasonable probability that the price of bitcoin will again exceed $20,000 - maybe by a big margin. However, we may be looking at years before this happens.
20,000 looks like zero in a probability play.
infinity is the number of ico's possible, Bitcoin value should be divided by infinty.
Old 26th October 2019, 01:48 AM   #265
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

20,000 looks like zero in a probability play.
infinity is the number of ico's possible, Bitcoin value should be divided by infinty.
Did you again forget that this argument has already been thoroughly rebutted - frequently?
Old 26th October 2019, 02:07 AM   #266
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Did you again forget that this argument has already been thoroughly rebutted - frequently?
It will always be my proposition, but I read all links if you care to repost any rebuttal.
Old 26th October 2019, 02:38 AM   #267
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

No you don't.
Old 26th October 2019, 02:01 PM   #268
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

No you don't.
I read a great deal about cryptos, but I have not read that an exact replica of bitcoin cannot be established. Maybe there is intellectual property involved, but that would contravene the doctrine of freedom.
Old 26th October 2019, 03:15 PM   #269
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

I read a great deal about cryptos, but I have not read that an exact replica of bitcoin cannot be established. Maybe there is intellectual property involved, but that would contravene the doctrine of freedom.
That is not your argument (and there are no "exact replicas" of bitcoin).

Your argument is that all cryptos are bitcoin and you repeat it constantly as if nobody has ever pointed out how moronic an argument it is.

If the alt-coins had bled money away from the bitcoin market then you should be able to tell us how much has been bled and what the price of bitcoin would be otherwise. Of course you can't and have no intention of doing so because you are not interested in facts. You only want to sound authoritative.

Last edited by psionl0; 26th October 2019 at 03:33 PM.
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2019, 05:35 AM   #270
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

That is not your argument (and there are no "exact replicas" of bitcoin).

Your argument is that all cryptos are bitcoin and you repeat it constantly as if nobody has ever pointed out how moronic an argument it is.

If the alt-coins had bled money away from the bitcoin market then you should be able to tell us how much has been bled and what the price of bitcoin would be otherwise. Of course you can't and have no intention of doing so because you are not interested in facts. You only want to sound authoritative.
Authoritative no, an enquiring demeanour I thought.
I have become convinced bitcoin will get to 2000 soon, so shorting more at 9126 looks good.
Old 30th October 2019, 09:03 AM   #271
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

Authoritative no, an enquiring demeanour I thought.
I have become convinced bitcoin will get to 2000 soon, so shorting more at 9126 looks good.
That's almost prediction. At least you got us number. Now give us a date.
Old 6th November 2019, 01:58 AM   #272
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
That's almost prediction. At least you got us number. Now give us a date.
I find this disconcerting to say the violation of the co2 constraint is not holding.
This disgraceful enterprise is set to cast greater emissions as the insatiable gluttony of the hold ons for dear life is encouraged.
God does not exist, but if she does please exterminate the vermin promoting this enterprise.

Last edited by Samson; 6th November 2019 at 02:00 AM.
Old 6th November 2019, 04:18 AM   #273
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

I find this disconcerting to say the violation of the co2 constraint is not holding.
This disgraceful enterprise is set to cast greater emissions as the insatiable gluttony of the hold ons for dear life is encouraged.
God does not exist, but if she does please exterminate the vermin promoting this enterprise.
So, no date then?
Old 6th November 2019, 10:43 AM   #274
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

Bitcoin’s record price surge of 2017 was caused by a single person
Quote:
Bitcoin's dramatic price surge in 2017 that saw it reach record highs was caused by a single cryptocurrency trader, according to a new study...

"This one large player or entity either exhibited clairvoyant market timing or exerted an extremely large price impact on bitcoin that is not observed in aggregate flows from other smaller traders,"...

This year bitcoin's price has risen steadily and it is currently trading at around $9,300, having briefly reached above $12,000 in June. It remains prone to sudden swings in price, which some attribute to market manipulation by so-called bitcoin whales that are able to influence the price through a single trade.

A flash crash that wiped $1,000 from bitcoin's value in less than an hour was triggered by the sale of 5,000 bitcoins - worth around $40 million at the time of the trade.
But the unpredictable actions of 'whales' doesn't make TA invalid, just... unreliable.
Old 6th November 2019, 01:34 PM   #275
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

So, no date then?
No date, and I have no stake in it. Nevertheless the current meandering price looks like distribution, ready for a sharp fall. I would be shorting it here still at
Old 6th November 2019, 03:25 PM   #276
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

No date, and I have no stake in it. Nevertheless the current meandering price looks like distribution, ready for a sharp fall. I would be shorting it here still at
It will go up, then down, and then up again. I'm sure.
Old 6th November 2019, 03:41 PM   #277
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

No date, . . . .
So when you used the word "soon" it was meaningless. You could claim success if the price dropped to $2,000 in the next infinity years.
Old 7th November 2019, 01:27 PM   #278
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

So when you used the word "soon" it was meaningless. You could claim success if the price dropped to $2,000 in the next infinity years.
I expect the drop during my lifetime, as I repeatedly say there is infinite supply of this detritus.
Old 7th November 2019, 02:52 PM   #279
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

I expect the drop during my lifetime, as I repeatedly say there is infinite supply of this detritus lie and act as if my drivel has never been addressed - let alone rebutted.
ftfy.

So are you going to die "soon"?
Old 8th November 2019, 02:32 AM   #280
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

ftfy.

So are you going to die "soon"?
Here is another way of imagining this issue.
If the price of bitcoin drops to 2k US, will you claim that this is completely unrelated to the presence of 2000 lookalikes to choose from.
Gold will never be created the way bitcoin clones can be created, and indeed are created.
Remember Warren Buffet and Charlie Munger

"This will end badly".

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance