IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 3rd September 2019, 05:23 PM   #1
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Another Noose and Hate Crime Charges

University of Illinois Student Charged With Hate Crime After Noose Found Hanging in Dorm Elevator: Officials

Originally Posted by The Daily Beast
A University of Illinois student has been charged with a hate crime after a noose was found hanging in an elevator at a residence hall, school officials said Tuesday. Andrew M. Smith, a 19-year-old student at the Urbana-Champaign campus, was arrested and charged with a misdemeanor count of disorderly conduct and a felony count of committing a hate crime. The university said that at about 1 a.m. on Sunday, staff members of the residence building Allen Hall reported the discovery of a rope tied into a noose inside an elevator. “After investigating, Smith was identified as the offender,” the university said, adding that Smith was arrested inside the residence hall Monday night. According to the Champaign County Sheriff’s Office, Smith is scheduled to be arraigned Tuesday afternoon in Champaign County Circuit Court. The incident comes just months after black employees filed a class-action lawsuit against the campus, alleging they faced racial harassment and were “exposed to threats of racial violence, such as nooses, swastikas, KKK garb, racist graffiti, and confederate flags.”
https://www.thedailybeast.com/univer...ator-officials

Black Mascara White Supremacist...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 186.jpg (26.0 KB, 20 views)
Old 3rd September 2019, 05:52 PM   #2
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

The Smollett Effect on the hoof

Speaking of on the hoof, if hommes was going for a sultry lip pursing in the left pic, we can safely say that's also been put out to pasture.

Eta: though I note the quote does not ascribe a gender pronoun to Andrew.

eta II: Illinois nazis? Illinois nazis!

Last edited by Thermal; 3rd September 2019 at 06:04 PM.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2019, 06:30 PM   #3
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

When Republican politicians were young, they were the kids who watched James Bond movies and said "I want to grow up to be just like [insert name of villain here]."
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2019, 06:58 PM   #4
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Is this going to be like the Boeing thing where even though they actually found the perpetrator people are going to insist he's a scapegoat and there was no noose and/or the university knowingly framed an innocent person as part of a conspiracy to avoid bad press, etc etc etc?
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2019, 07:06 PM   #5
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Is this going to be like the Boeing thing where even though they actually found the perpetrator people are going to insist he's a scapegoat and there was no noose and/or the university knowingly framed an innocent person as part of a conspiracy to avoid bad press, etc etc etc?
Take another gander at that pic before rolling out the assumed 'he'

Cis-hets. SMH.
Old 3rd September 2019, 07:18 PM   #6
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

That radical comb-over hairdo is a tribute to Trump who is the hero of Andrew Smith. This is just another Trump supporter taken down by hate crime charges. I bet Smith wishes it was a milkshake to the head instead of criminal charges.
Old 3rd September 2019, 07:20 PM   #7
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

There are plenty of people who identify as male who have long, flowing hair.

*tosses hair dramatically*

Three Word Story Wisdom
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2019, 07:26 PM   #8
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

...but presumably have better taste in eyeliner. I mean that shade with that top? Christ. Might as well be working the door at Sephora's.
Old 3rd September 2019, 08:28 PM   #9
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Another story:
https://www.courant.com/ct-universit...scm-story.html

This one refers to Smith with male pronouns. I'll assume he identifies as male until told otherwise.

I'm glad they caught the perpetrator (alleged perpetrator; he pleaded not guilty to the charges). Will they be able to prove the hate crime charges, which make it a felony rather than just a misdemeanor?

It's being treated as self-evident that leaving a noose around is intended to intimidate African Americans.

I do think that it's more than enough to expel him from the University. I just don't know if they can prove the felony charges. The act seems pretty obvious, but what motivated the act? I'd like to know more about the individual from people who knew him personally.
Old 3rd September 2019, 08:53 PM   #10
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

More pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 129.jpg (69.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 833.jpg (60.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg k4.jpg (10.9 KB, 17 views)
Old 3rd September 2019, 09:04 PM   #11
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Anyone taking bets that this turns out to be autoerotic asphyxiation gone south?
Old 3rd September 2019, 09:24 PM   #12
TalosMarr
Scholar

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Another story:
https://www.courant.com/ct-universit...scm-story.html

This one refers to Smith with male pronouns. I'll assume he identifies as male until told otherwise.

I'm glad they caught the perpetrator (alleged perpetrator; he pleaded not guilty to the charges). Will they be able to prove the hate crime charges, which make it a felony rather than just a misdemeanor?

It's being treated as self-evident that leaving a noose around is intended to intimidate African Americans.

I do think that it's more than enough to expel him from the University. I just don't know if they can prove the felony charges. The act seems pretty obvious, but what motivated the act? I'd like to know more about the individual from people who knew him personally.
Because it is. Using a symbol publicly associated with intimidation of minorities makes it such.

My uneducated guess would be edgelord prank gone wrong, for the prankster. But given that trolling as a racist for edginess is indistinguishable from being a racist for realsies, I'm not sure his actual intent will or even should matter.

Is there a functional difference between "I hung the noose to make people uneasy, and it happens to be a symbol associated with intimidation of minorities" and "I hung the noose to intimidate the darkies" or is it just semantics?

If he did it and is convicted I'm sure the difference should come in during mitigation, but for the charge beforehand if the effect is the same why shouldn't the charge be?
TalosMarr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2019, 09:26 PM   #13
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

"I found the noose in the dorm building and figured that someone had lost it. I hung it in the dorm elevator because that would be the best way for the owner to quickly get it back. Everybody rides that elevator. I would have done the exact same thing if it were a sock or a glove. You now arrest me for doing that? You are totally full of crap."
Old 3rd September 2019, 09:28 PM   #14
TalosMarr
Scholar

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
"I found the noose in the dorm building and figured that someone had lost it. I hung it in the dorm elevator because that would be the best way for the owner to quickly get it back. Everybody rides that elevator. I would have done the exact same thing if it were a sock or a glove. You now arrest me for doing that? You are totally full of crap."
Is this an actual quote from the suspect or just riffing?
TalosMarr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2019, 09:29 PM   #15
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TalosMarr View Post
In the full quote, Andrew prefaces with 'Darling' and ends with 'bitch, please'
Old 3rd September 2019, 09:42 PM   #16
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.
Old 3rd September 2019, 09:44 PM   #17
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

I think it's just Bill imagining an excuse.

If I were to give any legal advice to the suspect it would be to shut the hell up and let your lawyer do the talking. Saying something like Bill suggested might seem like a clever defense, but I doubt it would work and might just make things worse. Trying to explain yourself to the police is almost always a bad idea and just gives them more material to hang you with (no joke intended).

You said earlier that "I'm not sure his actual intent will or even should matter" but although I'm not a lawyer, I suspect that the actual intent does matter for legal reasons.

Here's the statute, fwiw:
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publ...?Name=100-0197

ETA: the fact that the crime was committed in a college dorm is an aggravating factor:
Quote:
(3) in a school or other educational facility,
including an administrative facility or public or private
dormitory facility of or associated with the school or
other educational facility;
That bumps it up from a class 4 felony to a class 3 felony.

Last edited by Puppycow; 3rd September 2019 at 09:48 PM.
Puppycow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2019, 10:09 PM   #18
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Take another gander at that pic before rolling out the assumed 'he'
The Boeing perpetrator was a he.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2019, 10:25 PM   #19
TalosMarr
Scholar

I think it's just Bill imagining an excuse.

If I were to give any legal advice to the suspect it would be to shut the hell up and let your lawyer do the talking. Saying something like Bill suggested might seem like a clever defense, but I doubt it would work and might just make things worse. Trying to explain yourself to the police is almost always a bad idea and just gives them more material to hang you with (no joke intended).

You said earlier that "I'm not sure his actual intent will or even should matter" but although I'm not a lawyer, I suspect that the actual intent does matter for legal reasons.

Here's the statute, fwiw:
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publ...?Name=100-0197

ETA: the fact that the crime was committed in a college dorm is an aggravating factor:

That bumps it up from a class 4 felony to a class 3 felony.
I suppose my question was more in the light of using a known racist symbol, doubly so at this school which is currently in the throes of legal action regarding the use of such symbols to intimidate minority staff. If you use such a symbol, in such an environment, even if play acting as I suspect would and should it matter in the eyes of the law?

From the statute provided;
Quote:
A person commits hate crime when, by reason of the
actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, ancestry,
gender, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, or
national origin of another individual or group of individuals,
regardless of the existence of any other motivating factor or
factors
, he or she commits assault, battery, aggravated
assault, intimidation, stalking, cyberstalking, misdemeanor
theft, criminal trespass to residence, misdemeanor criminal
damage to property, criminal trespass to vehicle, criminal
trespass to real property, mob action, disorderly conduct,
transmission of obscene messages, harassment by telephone, or
harassment through electronic communications as these crimes
are defined in ...
To me it looks that if using a publicly acknowledged symbol of racism qualifies as fulfilling the "by reason of the actual or perceived race" part, a "just trolling yo" defense wouldn't matter.

Interesting that being on a campus is an aggravating factor.

ETA - I would like to reiterate that I'm talking mostly out of my hat here. Just spitballing based on my own speculation.

Last edited by TalosMarr; 3rd September 2019 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Social anxiety
Old 3rd September 2019, 10:34 PM   #20
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

To me it looks that if using a publicly acknowledged symbol of racism qualifies as fulfilling the "by reason of the actual or perceived race" part, a "just trolling yo" defense wouldn't matter.

Interesting that being on a campus is an aggravating factor.
Yeah, and I'm not sure what the actual defense will be, but I imagine if he has a competent lawyer, it won't be "I was just trolling the libtards, lol."

The thing is though, that the burden of proof is supposed to be on the prosecution, not the defense. The prosecution needs to provide positive proof of the reason for the act; the defense only needs to argue that there is room for reasonable doubt: that the prosecution has not proven (not the fact of the act itself, but the reason for the act, the reason being what makes it a felony rather than a misdemeanor) beyond a reasonable doubt.
Old 3rd September 2019, 11:07 PM   #21
TalosMarr
Scholar

Yeah, and I'm not sure what the actual defense will be, but I imagine if he has a competent lawyer, it won't be "I was just trolling the libtards, lol."

The thing is though, that the burden of proof is supposed to be on the prosecution, not the defense. The prosecution needs to provide positive proof of the reason for the act; the defense only needs to argue that there is room for reasonable doubt: that the prosecution has not proven (not the fact of the act itself, but the reason for the act, the reason being what makes it a felony rather than a misdemeanor) beyond a reasonable doubt.
Agreed, though I think a "it was just an edgy prank" may be a possibility.

Maybe the question I have would be the defense, e.g. does using a symbol publicly known as being used to intimidate minorities meet the burden of proof for intent on its own just by nature of being a racist symbol that caused intimidation.

If it does, just a prank is no excuse per the regardless of other motivations clause, if it doesn't, acquittal. I guess we'll see at trial, assuming it gets that far and I'm right about the whole prank thing.

I haven't even been thinking about the friend who reported him to the police that is mentioned in the Courant article. It's not clear if she was with him when the noose was found or when it was put up, but she certainly felt the need to tell the police that Andrew had something to do with it.

Bleh, now I feel bad for speculating. I do genuinely want to know if using a hate symbol meets the burden of proof for intent on its face though.

Last edited by TalosMarr; 3rd September 2019 at 11:09 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 3rd September 2019, 11:07 PM   #22
cullennz
Banned

I would go for the obvious diversion defence.

"Everyone knows how high suicide attempts are with trans people. People were teasing me about my eye-line and I was going to kill myself in the lift, but changed my mind. Should have taken the rope down, I have just had my finger nails done and didn't want to damage them untying knots...So technically I am the victim"
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2019, 11:22 PM   #23
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Okay, stop.

There is no suggestion that this person is trans. And even if they are, it has nothing to do with whether they are guilty of a hate crime or not.

Three Word Story Wisdom
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2019, 11:46 PM   #24
cullennz
Banned

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Okay, stop.

There is no suggestion that this person is trans. And even if they are, it has nothing to do with whether they are guilty of a hate crime or not.
It was a joke in answer to William Parcher's post.

Should have quoted it.
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2019, 12:42 AM   #25
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
It was a joke in answer to William Parcher's post.

Should have quoted it.
You were the one who introduced their assumed transgender status into the joke. But you are not the only one doing this.

There is no suggestion that they are trans. Several people, including you, have been assuming, based on hair, eyeliner and duckface alone, that they are transgender.

Don't assume you know their gender. Wait for evidence.

Three Word Story Wisdom
Old 4th September 2019, 01:53 AM   #26
P.J. Denyer
Penultimate Amazing

Damn right

*tosses what's left of hair somewhat less dramatically*

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2019, 01:54 AM   #27
cullennz
Banned

You were the one who introduced their assumed transgender status into the joke. But you are not the only one doing this.

There is no suggestion that they are trans. Several people, including you, have been assuming, based on hair, eyeliner and duckface alone, that they are transgender.

Don't assume you know their gender. Wait for evidence.
The whole point of the joke was the assumption is the cops would assume they are trans from the look of them, like posters on this thread if they said they were as an alibi.

Geesh lighten tfu
Old 4th September 2019, 05:16 AM   #28
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

I'm curious if a federal hate crime charge has ever been brought in tandem with a disorderly conduct misdemeanor before. Usually hate crime charges are brought when a targeted crime has been committed, whereas this noose was just left in a public place as a general threat. Leaving a noose somewhere doesn't even qualify as vandalism, and leaving it in a public place for anyone to find probably isn't specific enough to be considered a criminal threat against an individual.

This might be a difficult stretch, but maybe it's just a gambit for a guilty plea for reduced charges. If the accusation is true, this guy is a real scumbag, but I'm a bit uncomfortable with the legal reach here. Disorderly conduct is already a real catch-all charge used to punish generic bad-behavior that isn't otherwise a crime, tacking on a felony gets a little to close to punishing "wrong-speak" for my comfort. Wonder what the ACLU might make of this.

Last edited by TurkeysGhost; 4th September 2019 at 05:21 AM.
TurkeysGhost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2019, 05:45 AM   #29
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I'm curious if a federal hate crime charge has ever been brought in tandem with a disorderly conduct misdemeanor before.
These are state charges, not federal.
Old 4th September 2019, 05:52 AM   #30
8enotto
Illuminator

Male with long hair here, there are other little clues this person is making a turn in life.

Not that it matters in a men's prison. The criminal justice system doesn't nicely ask which he will prefer.

That aside, things have changed since I was in school. We used to be able to carry pocket knives and tie nooses without having hateful ideas. This brave new world isn't quite right.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2019, 05:56 AM   #31
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

These are state charges, not federal.

Thanks for the correction. Looks like Illinois law explicitly lists disorderly conduct in its hate crime statute.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs...050k12-7.1.htm

Disorderly conduct always makes me a bit uncomfortable, as it's a very broad law that is often abused, often as a means of criminalizing protected expression. All that said, it seems like an appropriate charge here given the facts, as hanging a noose is generally understood as a threat.

This country has wide protections of free speech and it's not illegal to be a racist. It's nice when the racists are kind enough step on rakes and screw themselves over like this.
Old 4th September 2019, 06:28 AM   #32
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
That aside, things have changed since I was in school. We used to be able to carry pocket knives and tie nooses without having hateful ideas. This brave new world isn't quite right.
In all honesty, without sounding as dick-ish as possible, why would you? I'm an older individual and I don't think I've tied a noose...ever. I can't imagine a scenario I actually would tie a noose. Are you sure it wasn't your old school world that wasn't quite right, if you're the ones going around tying nooses for totes fun?
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2019, 07:35 AM   #33
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
In all honesty, without sounding as dick-ish as possible, why would you? I'm an older individual and I don't think I've tied a noose...ever. I can't imagine a scenario I actually would tie a noose. Are you sure it wasn't your old school world that wasn't quite right, if you're the ones going around tying nooses for totes fun?
Decorating the yard at Halloween called for nooses and dummys in my old hometown, in addition to tombstones and the other 'we don't have the cash for decorations but damned if we aren't gonna have fun' low-tech displays.

A noose makes a convenient knot for tying on to things you want to be able to reloosen. Can be handy, like other boy-scout knot-tying skills.

I think it was on the Boeing noose thread, I mentioned that I hadn't learned about racial lynching till I was in high school. A noose didn't have the race hate murder connotations it has now. Maybe because I grew up in a Union State, I dunno.
Old 4th September 2019, 07:41 AM   #34
8enotto
Illuminator

These were the days of the old Clint Eastwood films, Josey Wales, The good, The bad and the ugly....

Kids seen it and had to try to tie one. Now every kid is trying to turn a Toyota into a high performance race car.
I didn't knowingly hang out with haters of any sort at that time. I am not sure it was even much of a social factor in our lives.

It was just something a kid did and others copied. And it was a phase we all passed to get into real life stuff.

No big deal then.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2019, 08:24 AM   #35
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Leaving a noose somewhere doesn't even qualify as vandalism, and leaving it in a public place for anyone to find probably isn't specific enough to be considered a criminal threat against an individual.
Remember where you are. This is the ISF.

The noose represents white supremacy and therefore represents and encourages the killing of blacks and other non-whites, Jews, homosexuals and lesbians and trans, gypsies, et al. White supremacy is equated with neo-Nazi. All of that is domestic terrorism. The hanging of a noose is an act of domestic terrorism. The hanger of the noose is a domestic terrorist.

Old 4th September 2019, 08:35 AM   #36
plague311
Great minds think...

The noose represents white supremacy and therefore represents and encourages the killing of blacks and other non-whites, Jews, homosexuals and lesbians and trans, gypsies, et al. White supremacy is equated with neo-Nazi. All of that is domestic terrorism. The hanging of a noose is an act of domestic terrorism. The hanger of the noose is a domestic terrorist.

I didn't realize the ******* ISF charged him with the crimes, but totes sweet nonsensical crying. I give it a 7 out of 10. If you would have played into how this guy is the actual victim it would have been a 10 out of 10. Good luck next time.

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Decorating the yard at Halloween called for nooses and dummys in my old hometown, in addition to tombstones and the other 'we don't have the cash for decorations but damned if we aren't gonna have fun' low-tech displays.

A noose makes a convenient knot for tying on to things you want to be able to reloosen. Can be handy, like other boy-scout knot-tying skills.

I think it was on the Boeing noose thread, I mentioned that I hadn't learned about racial lynching till I was in high school. A noose didn't have the race hate murder connotations it has now. Maybe because I grew up in a Union State, I dunno.
So during your pre-high school days you would go to school and twist up some nooses for halloween?

Wait a second, people hang things by nooses as Halloween displays? What does a lynching have to do with Halloween? Maybe I'm missing that connection. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, it's just not something I've run into I guess. Must be a North Dakota thing where that isn't decor we use. Learn something new every day I guess.

Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
These were the days of the old Clint Eastwood films, Josey Wales, The good, The bad and the ugly....

Kids seen it and had to try to tie one. Now every kid is trying to turn a Toyota into a high performance race car.
I didn't knowingly hang out with haters of any sort at that time. I am not sure it was even much of a social factor in our lives.

It was just something a kid did and others copied. And it was a phase we all passed to get into real life stuff.

No big deal then.
Like I said, this is all news to me, but hey...I love to learn.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2019, 08:38 AM   #37
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I didn't realize the ******* ISF charged him with the crimes, but totes sweet nonsensical crying.
The ISF regularly charges people with domestic terrorism. White supremacy is domestic terrorism.

Do you read the ISF?
Old 4th September 2019, 08:40 AM   #38
plague311
Great minds think...

The ISF regularly charges people with domestic terrorism. White supremacy is domestic terrorism.

Do you read the ISF?
The ISF isn't a charging body of any particular consequence so it really doesn't matter. Also, you aren't charging people with domestic terrorism, you're here constantly. So...again, what the hell are you talking about?
Old 4th September 2019, 08:47 AM   #39
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

So during your pre-high school days you would go to school and twist up some nooses for halloween?

Wait a second, people hang things by nooses as Halloween displays? What does a lynching have to do with Halloween? Maybe I'm missing that connection. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, it's just not something I've run into I guess. Must be a North Dakota thing where that isn't decor we use. Learn something new every day I guess.
Nooses to me were from horror movies primarily, and westerns secondarily. Yes, we'd hang homemade dummies fron the trees with an ax handle buried in their heads, tombstones with gloves reaching out of the ground, and any other homemade imagery from the old Hammer Horror flicks from Saturday TV.
Old 4th September 2019, 08:48 AM   #40
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

I didn't realize the ******* ISF charged him with the crimes, but totes sweet nonsensical crying. I give it a 7 out of 10. If you would have played into how this guy is the actual victim it would have been a 10 out of 10. Good luck next time.

Like I said, this is all news to me, but hey...I love to learn.
I wouldn't say that a noose is automatically a racist dog whistle in every circumstance. If I saw a noose as part of a Halloween display, that wouldn't automatically translate "black lynching" scene. A noose could probably be considered general macabre in many circumstances. The Hangman with noose character is probably interchangeable with the character of The Executioner with axe. Out west, a noose probably more readily evokes scenarios of frontier justice than that of black lynching.

To be honest, unless the accused runs his mouth, proving racial animus in this case beyond a reasonable doubt would be tough. Personally, I feel comfortable saying that, in the context of the continuing racial harassment of the black staff, a racial taunt is the likeliest explanation, but that's a much lower standard. I am even more comfortable saying that any reasonable person would know that leaving a noose out to find is a pretty open threat, even if the target is not specified.

Last edited by TurkeysGhost; 4th September 2019 at 08:53 AM.
TurkeysGhost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events