ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags gun control issues , Las Vegas incidents , shooting incidents

Old 4th August 2018, 10:23 AM   #2241
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Without any connection to political or military goals it fails the primary test of the common understanding of terrorism.

So, just senseless slaughter.
Old 4th August 2018, 11:12 AM   #2242
Sherkeu
Muse

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Without any connection to political or military goals it fails the primary test of the common understanding of terrorism.

So, just senseless slaughter.
The secret plotting and planning can be fulfillment on its own. And then some actually execute those plans. I think the pilot of MH370 had similar motives.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2018, 11:23 AM   #2243
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
The secret plotting and planning can be fulfillment on its own. And then some actually execute those plans. I think the pilot of MH370 had similar motives.

Maybe so, but the word "terrorism" has meaning. Without the clear and public motivation of political or military goals that meaning is not fulfilled.

No such motive is known (yet, at least) for the Las Vegas slaughter or whatever may have happened to MH370.
Old 4th August 2018, 11:30 AM   #2244
Sherkeu
Muse

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Maybe so, but the word "terrorism" has meaning. Without the clear and public motivation of political or military goals that meaning is not fulfilled.

No such motive is known (yet, at least) for the Las Vegas slaughter or whatever may have happened to MH370.
I agree. I don't think either one is terrorism. They aren't doing it for anyone's goal but their own.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2018, 11:34 AM   #2245
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
I agree. I don't think either one is terrorism. They aren't doing it for anyone's goal but their own.

We don't know enough to ascribe a motive to either one.

If either was actually terrorism they missed an important step.
Old 4th August 2018, 08:35 PM   #2246
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Could you two slightly reword it a couple more times, while agreeing with each other... I don't think I've caught the gist just yet.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2018, 12:23 PM   #2247
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
Could you two slightly reword it a couple more times, while agreeing with each other... I don't think I've caught the gist just yet.
I think you don't get what they are saying because it could be said in different ways but still mean the same thing. Maybe you could try to rewrite what they are vehemently agreeing about in your own words to clarify.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2018, 01:33 PM   #2248
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I think you don't get what they are saying because it could be said in different ways but still mean the same thing. Maybe you could try to rewrite what they are vehemently agreeing about in your own words to clarify.
What they are saying is essentially the same, but they are using different words.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2018, 01:38 PM   #2249
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
What they are saying is essentially the same, but they are using different words.
No, I think they are using some of the same words, but not in the same order, to say mainly the same thing.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2019, 01:06 PM   #2250
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

FBI concludes investigation without identifying a motive.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/29/us/la...nds/index.html

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2019, 01:13 PM   #2251
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
FBI concludes investigation without identifying a motive.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/29/us/la...nds/index.html
Might have to place this one in the "Often there is no real explaining insanity" department.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 12:42 PM   #2252
Ranb
Philosopher

Destroy the guns or sell them to raise money?
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/25/u...-donation.html

Quote:
In the aftermath of the 2017 shooting, loved ones of the 58 people who lost their lives in the rampage faced a difficult choice over what to do with the 50 guns and accessories that were owned by the gunman, Stephen Paddock. They could possibly sell the weapons to raise money or have the guns destroyed in a symbolic renunciation of violence.

Now the families don’t have to worry about making that decision — the donor, who wishes to remain anonymous, has stepped in to cover the funds. His only condition is that the guns are destroyed.
There is really nothing to be gained by destroying legal to possess guns. The bump stocks will have to be removed.

Quote:
The collection of firearms and equipment was valued at $62,340 in a recent inventory of Mr. Paddock’s nearly $1.4 million estate by a court-appointed special administrator. As Mr. Paddock died without a will, his mother, under Nevada law, became the heir to his assets, which she agreed to give to the families of the dead victims last March.
That is an ugly way to become an heir to an estate.

Quote:
If the gunman’s estate were to be divided up equally, each of the 58 families would receive about $24,000 — with the firearms accounting for close to $1,100 per family. The estate also includes an investment property worth a little more than $90,000 and bank and brokerage accounts totaling $455,758.
Quote:
One family, who intends to sue the manufacturers of the guns used in the shooting, would like to see those weapons kept in tact rather than destroyed.
I suspect that this family will be wasting their time and money like the shooting victims in Aurora did.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 12:56 PM   #2253
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

If those guns were sold as being from the "Stephen Paddock Collection" they would bring a premium. Much more so if the ones used in the shooting were identified. Memorabilia related to famous criminal killers is something that some people will pay a lot a money for.
Old 31st January 2019, 05:00 AM   #2254
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Might have to place this one in the "Often there is no real explaining insanity" department.
He was just a school shooter with grey hair and an enlarged prostate.

A late-bloomer, if you will.

I sometimes have to remind myself that a subset of the population is really shallow and that a subset of that subset is misanthropic and sociopathic.
Old 1st February 2019, 01:50 AM   #2255
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
If those guns were sold as being from the "Stephen Paddock Collection" they would bring a premium. Much more so if the ones used in the shooting were identified. Memorabilia related to famous criminal killers is something that some people will pay a lot a money for.
Which is another argument to destroy them.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 01:37 PM   #2256
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder if a firearm used in a crime and collected as evidence ever made it back into the public?

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?

Last edited by LTC8K6; 1st February 2019 at 01:38 PM.
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 09:26 PM   #2257
Ranb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
I wonder if a firearm used in a crime and collected as evidence ever made it back into the public?
Police department policies differ. In WA the police are allowed to sell the guns to raise funds.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 09:37 PM   #2258
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

This is a new one for me.

For some reason, which is purely vague memory, I thought I read somewhere weapons used in mass shootings in the US were destroyed after a while.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 02:43 PM   #2259
Ranb
Philosopher

There is no federal law that says crime weapons must be destroyed. For example Oswald's Carcano is still around as is the handgun Ruby used to kill Oswald.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events