ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 28th January 2019, 06:31 PM   #361
Steve
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
But that is not right. The police report mentions two other witnesses: one is a neighbor who lived in the building Beckham and Cassidy were found in front of, whom the report says "heard the commotion outside his window and ran out" whereupon Beckham yelled at him to call 911. We know the police spoke to him, because the report specifically mentions that he gave a sworn statement (and forgets to redact his name - oops!). And the other witness is Beckham's daughter, who is named in the report, and who said she had just exited the shower and was getting dressed when Cassidy was at her window. It is possible that this information came purely from Beckham himself; but I very highly doubt it, firstly since he was outside the house when he spotted Cassidy and likely wasn't aware of precisely what his daughter was doing in her bedroom at that moment; and secondly because I don't find it likely that the officer would put her full name (which it clearly does, though it is redacted) in the report without having at least talked to her directly, especially given her importance as a potential witness of Cassidy's actions.

But even if we discount those, it wasn't only Beckham's statement either. Firstly, Cassidy tried to escape while Beckham was being interviewed, and had to be recaptured and handcuffed by the police. That's not incriminating, perhaps; but it's attention-getting in all the wrong ways. Then, the police report says that after he was given a medical examination, the officer interviewed Cassidy at the hospital, and that Cassidy was uncooperative there as well. More specifically, Cassidy refused to really provide an alternate account of the events outside Beckham's house, when the police asked him for his story. Which is his legal right of course; but the officer only made the decision to arrest and book him after and in light of all those facts, NOT at the scene immediately after Beckham's sole testimony.

But the arrest and charge isn't the final word. Cassidy is perfectly entitled to choose to defend himself in court to a judge and/or jury rather than to police if that's his wont; in point of fact, he's entitled to not actively defend himself even in court. But as things stood, what the officer was faced with was a situation where one man gave an account that incriminated the other, and the accused person refused to contest it when given the chance. Filing the charge was logical. One runner refusing to leave the starting line doesn't stop the other one from going in the books as the winner of the race.
When a person is trying to keep a spin going reality can be rather inconvenient.
Old 28th January 2019, 07:12 PM   #362
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
When a person is trying to keep a spin going reality can be rather inconvenient.
If it helps, I think Thermal is less dead-set on Beckham specifically being absolutely wrong, and more upset that it looked to him like everyone was refusing to consider even the possibility due to what Cassidy is accused of.

I can only assure everyone that in my particular case that's not it. I genuinely feel that certain crimes justify a certain level of force by witnesses to capture and hold someone for police if they choose that risk; and I genuinely don't feel that Cassidy's injuries in specific, which a doctor decided didn't require any treatment, do not indicate an excessive level of force was used. But, I DO feel there is a limit.

As a point in support, I'll re-invoke a case I recalled earlier, where a man caught another man in the act of sexually assaulting his young son and proceeded to pulp the offender's face. In that instance, I agree that forceful intervention was necessary; and given the man was actually in the process of assaulting the child when he was spotted, I would even go as far as to say that more force to subdue him than would be justified in subduing Cassidy, for instance, was be allowable. But even so, I did NOT agree with the amount of force the father ended up using in that case; it was far, far more than was ever reasonably necessary to subdue the offender. Visibly the guy didn't just have a bruise and a busted lip; his face looked like something you'd pull out of the freezer to thaw the night before Thanksgiving.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 09:16 PM   #363
Thermal
Philosopher

But that is not right. The police report mentions two other witnesses: one is a neighbor who lived in the building Beckham and Cassidy were found in front of, whom the report says "heard the commotion outside his window and ran out" whereupon Beckham yelled at him to call 911. We know the police spoke to him, because the report specifically mentions that he gave a sworn statement (and forgets to redact his name - oops!).
The name in the report is Antonio. That's Beckham (we call him Tony but his actual name is Antonio). The other tenant at 2050 was evidently not named or spoken to on the scene.

Quote:
And the other witness is Beckham's daughter, who is named in the report, and who said she had just exited the shower and was getting dressed when Cassidy was at her window. It is possible that this information came purely from Beckham himself; but I very highly doubt it, firstly since he was outside the house when he spotted Cassidy and likely wasn't aware of precisely what his daughter was doing in her bedroom at that moment; and secondly because I don't find it likely that the officer would put her full name (which it clearly does, though it is redacted) in the report without having at least talked to her directly, especially given her importance as a potential witness of Cassidy's actions.
The paragraph these statements are made begins with "I spoke with the B/M, identified as [Antonio Beckham] and he stated the following:" He does not mention speaking to anyone else in this paragraph or anywhere else in the report except Cassidy. Police reports are pretty exacting about who they spoke to and a brief description of them. We can be virtually positive that the details of the daughter were being recounted by Beckham.

If it helps, I think Thermal is less dead-set on Beckham specifically being absolutely wrong, and more upset that it looked to him like everyone was refusing to consider even the possibility due to what Cassidy is accused of.
Yeah, pretty much. To interpret TB's actions, we need some kind of legal standard, which I think is pretty ambiguous as written (citizens arrest, in particular). I've been trying since the OP to discuss the generality, then apply it to Beckham to see if it flies. Hasn't worked in ten pages, and I don't imagine it will start anytime soon. See ya on the next one.
Old 1st February 2019, 02:32 PM   #364
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

The prosecutor can drop the charges, the judge can dismiss the charges, etc.

The judge or prosecutor can also decide that Beckham used excessive force.

There is still plenty of opportunity for Beckham to need to legally defend his actions.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 02:35 PM   #365
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Cassidy's bond was listed at $1,500.00 previously.

I just checked and it's now listed as $5,000.00

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 01:32 PM   #366
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post

That's curious. I wonder why the increase. Was it actually raised at some point, or was the original amount simply misreported?
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 02:49 PM   #367
baron
Philosopher

As a point in support, I'll re-invoke a case I recalled earlier, where a man caught another man in the act of sexually assaulting his young son and proceeded to pulp the offender's face. In that instance, I agree that forceful intervention was necessary; and given the man was actually in the process of assaulting the child when he was spotted, I would even go as far as to say that more force to subdue him than would be justified in subduing Cassidy, for instance, was be allowable. But even so, I did NOT agree with the amount of force the father ended up using in that case; it was far, far more than was ever reasonably necessary to subdue the offender. Visibly the guy didn't just have a bruise and a busted lip; his face looked like something you'd pull out of the freezer to thaw the night before Thanksgiving.
I remember that. I thought the father was pretty restrained, considering.
Old 2nd February 2019, 07:02 PM   #368
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

That's curious. I wonder why the increase. Was it actually raised at some point, or was the original amount simply misreported?
Not sure, both numbers are from the detention center inmate search.

Old 2nd February 2019, 07:38 PM   #369
AJM8125
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post

Mr. Cassidy's first court appearance was 30 January - seems the felony charges were dropped, misdemeanor charges were filed and bail was increased to $5,000. Cassidy has plead not guilty. Next court date is 19 February.

https://applications.mypalmbeachcler...ndingPage.aspx

(Free court records search, just click 'continue as guest'.)

Last edited by AJM8125; 2nd February 2019 at 07:40 PM.
AJM8125 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 08:35 PM   #370
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Originally Posted by AJM8125 View Post
Mr. Cassidy's first court appearance was 30 January - seems the felony charges were dropped, misdemeanor charges were filed and bail was increased to $5,000.
I'm feeling comfortable enough to say I called it; there was no way they could support that felony they originally were trying for.
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 08:54 PM   #371
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by AJM8125 View Post
Mr. Cassidy's first court appearance was 30 January - seems the felony charges were dropped, misdemeanor charges were filed and bail was increased to $5,000. Cassidy has plead not guilty. Next court date is 19 February.

https://applications.mypalmbeachcler...ndingPage.aspx

(Free court records search, just click 'continue as guest'.)
So ten pages and in the end the sick dude only got charged with voyeurism.

Quote:
Penalties for Voyeurism in Florida

A violation of Florida Statute Section 810.14 for voyeurism can be charged as a misdemeanor in the first degree which is punishable by up to 12 months in the county jail and a $500 fine.

If a person has previously been convicted of this crime or adjudicated delinquent in juvenile court, then a second offense can be charged as a third-degree felony which is punishable by up to five years in Florida State Prison and a $5,000 fine.
Be lucky if he even gets a fine.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 10:50 PM   #372
mgidm86
Philosopher

Well then I am fine with the ass kicking even more.
Old 3rd February 2019, 01:45 AM   #373
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
So ten pages and in the end the sick dude only got charged with voyeurism.
Voyeurism I get but can can it also be considered trespassing? There's also the matter of fleeing from police (don't know if that's a crime in itself).

I don't know what else he can get charged with based on what he actually did. He didn't rape or even touch the girl so it's not sexual assault or sexual abuse. He's obviously not considered dangerous. With luck he tops out at a peeping Tom and is not someone who would graduate to physical harm.

Being a sleaze is not actually a crime.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2019, 02:22 AM   #374
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Voyeurism I get but can can it also be considered trespassing? There's also the matter of fleeing from police (don't know if that's a crime in itself).

I don't know what else he can get charged with based on what he actually did. He didn't rape or even touch the girl so it's not sexual assault or sexual abuse. He's obviously not considered dangerous. With luck he tops out at a peeping Tom and is not someone who would graduate to physical harm.

Being a sleaze is not actually a crime.
Totally hope so too
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2019, 05:40 AM   #375
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Interesting that his charges were reduced from felonies to misdemeanors and his bail amount was more than tripled.
Old 3rd February 2019, 12:15 PM   #376
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Interesting that his charges were reduced from felonies to misdemeanors and his bail amount was more than tripled.
Yup. Sounds like a slam-dunk case of excessive bail (which is unconstitutional) to me but hey, he's only a homeless mentally-ill pervvy dude so who cares, amirite?
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events