ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 8th February 2019, 06:48 PM   #41
d4m10n
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
To avoid confusion. It hurt. Honestly.
It's a fine use of an adjective.

Association FootballWP
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2019, 06:52 PM   #42
d4m10n
Illuminator

See also:

Gridiron FootballWP
Rugby FootballWP
Australian FootballWP
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2019, 09:25 AM   #43
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
Just want to say there’s an American who loves dirty words from over the pond. My favorite, as a euphemism for “fanny,” is “front-bum.”
I've always like the nice obscure Q-word.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2019, 09:27 AM   #44
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
One of the strangest moments in my life was when I discovered a food item in the frozen section of a supermarket called Dr. Brain's Pork Faggots. As if a pork faggot wasn't grim enough, they got a fella called Dr. Brain to market them.
Plus, they taste worse than they sound.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2019, 01:30 PM   #45
Thermal
Philosopher

Re:Op: I wonder if the complaining dad who didn't like the ad is launching a crusade against women's wear in general? Guys wearing suits and ties, with women showing leg and cleavage and what have you. The female model in the ad was certainly posing differently, but so what? Does the brother get out much? People present themselves a whole lot more provocatively without comment. Are we to return to the age of showing no bare ankles in public?
Old 9th February 2019, 02:47 PM   #46
Hungry81
Master Poster

BBC News: JD Sports removes Scotland kit photo after sexism row

"Scotland's official football kit retailer has removed a suggestive photo advertising women's football strips after a father complained.

JD Sports came under fire after using a model with ripped jeans, posing provocatively, to sell the female version of the official shirt.

Pictures of the men's and children's versions were presented in a more traditional standing pose.

The Scottish FA asked JD Sports to remove the image and it did.

Both the retailer and the SFA apologised "for any upset caused"."

Seems remarkable that nobody realised this would happen before the photos went live.
Man finds woman attractive. Complains.
News at 11.
Hungry81 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2019, 02:55 PM   #47
Hungry81
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Re:Op: I wonder if the complaining dad who didn't like the ad is launching a crusade against women's wear in general? Guys wearing suits and ties, with women showing leg and cleavage and what have you. The female model in the ad was certainly posing differently, but so what? Does the brother get out much? People present themselves a whole lot more provocatively without comment. Are we to return to the age of showing no bare ankles in public?
I take it no scottish women who find the males dominant stance attractive have enough time to complain?

Also isn't this a form of "slut" shaming?
Hungry81 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2019, 03:42 PM   #48
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Most Americans are surprised to learn that soccer is a UK term.
Many Brits, too.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 02:25 AM   #49
PursuedByABear
Scholar

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Many Brits, too.
Younger ones, maybe.

I am nearly 50 and when I was a kid the word "soccer" was ubiquitous in the UK. I don't know where this idea that it's a purely American term first took hold, but it came in very quickly, and without any justification.
PursuedByABear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 03:39 AM   #50
baron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
Man finds woman attractive. Complains.
News at 11.
What likely happened is he was leering at the photo when his wife caught him, prompting him to bluster, "This is disgusting! I was just about to complain in the strongest terms!" whilst turning away and tucking himself back in.
Old 13th February 2019, 04:05 AM   #51
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by PursuedByABear View Post
Younger ones, maybe.

I am nearly 50 and when I was a kid the word "soccer" was ubiquitous in the UK. I don't know where this idea that it's a purely American term first took hold, but it came in very quickly, and without any justification.
The thing is, it's slang, like "rugger." In colloquial usage, it's fine, but not so much in serious commentary or reporting.
Old 13th February 2019, 04:41 AM   #52
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

To any Scot in particular, the title of the thread

"Posing "provactively" whilst wearing an Scottish Association Football shirt..."

reads like it is a typo, since it is the Scottish Football Association (SFA) who run the game, including the national team.
Old 13th February 2019, 04:46 AM   #53
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
To any Scot in particular, the title of the thread

"Posing "provactively" whilst wearing an Scottish Association Football shirt..."

reads like it is a typo, since it is the Scottish Football Association (SFA) who run the game, including the national team.
No, the wording was very carefully considered, i.e. an Association Football shirt that is Scottish.
Old 14th February 2019, 02:50 AM   #54
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

No, the wording was very carefully considered, i.e. an Association Football shirt that is Scottish.
I am not saying it wasn't considered. I am saying to a Scot it reads oddly, like you have accidentally called the SFA the SAF.
Old 14th February 2019, 02:56 AM   #55
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

There does appear to be a typo though, isn't it 'provocatively'?
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2019, 04:01 AM   #56
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
Bah!
Old 14th February 2019, 12:09 PM   #57
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Originally Posted by PursuedByABear View Post
Younger ones, maybe.

Yep.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2019, 12:15 PM   #58
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
Yes, I thought about asking if posing retrovactively would be OK?*
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 02:15 AM   #59
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Yes, I thought about asking if posing retrovactively would be OK?*
I originally thought it meant "Proactively," but that didn't really square with the image of the Scotland team.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 12:44 PM   #60
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
I am not saying it wasn't considered. I am saying to a Scot it reads oddly, like you have accidentally called the SFA the SAF.
SAF sounds like a terrorist acronym, which to be fair, would be appropriate, given what they've done to the game.
Old 15th February 2019, 07:32 PM   #61
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Being jeered at and chastised by Brits all the time for using it instead of saying "football" might have something to do with that.

Last edited by quadraginta; 15th February 2019 at 07:51 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 07:46 PM   #62
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
One of the strangest moments in my life was when I discovered a food item in the frozen section of a supermarket called Dr. Brain's Pork Faggots. As if a pork faggot wasn't grim enough, they got a fella called Dr. Brain to market them.
Plus, they taste worse than they sound.
Quote:
"It is estimated that tens of millions of faggots are eaten every year, so they can't be that unpopular,"

BBC

The BBC can be so edgy.

Old 15th February 2019, 07:54 PM   #63
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Many Brits, too.

Being jeered at and chastised by Brits all the time for using it instead of saying "football" might have something to do with that.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events