ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 9th February 2019, 03:22 PM   #41
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
People are oversensitive, you were right the first time.

Vaudeville performers didn't paint on red lips when doing blackface. Do black people have very red lips or something? Didn't think so.

The design is pretty stupid, but it's only offensive if you really want it to be, or if your friends think it is.

The racist reaction is really stupid.
Being stupid about racial stereotypes is offensive.

If you feel offended or demoralized by the way the dickbag progressives on this forum stereotype you on the regular, then you should have some empathy for black people who have to face stereotyping from society on a daily basis, and from all directions.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2019, 03:40 PM   #42
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
I haven't worn a balaclava since I was about ten. Who wears that ******
Norwegian soldier reporting in....

The balaclava is part of standard infantry equiptment here.
Ryokan is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2019, 03:53 PM   #43
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Er, why for gay men? Why not for straight men?
Other than LGBTQ, I'm having a hard time imagining men wearing it. I'm open to the idea though. My point was it wasn't offensive.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 9th February 2019 at 03:55 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2019, 04:28 PM   #44
cmikes
Critical Thinker

I had a job as traffic control for an oil field site for a while. Believe me, when you're outside 12 hours a shift in subzero weather, you wear whatever you can. Thankfully, in West Virginia, you don't need gear like that for very long every year, but when you need it, you really need it.
cmikes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2019, 05:10 PM   #45
Distracted1
Master Poster

I used to wear a scarf wrapped around my face, along with a wool cap. I only discovered that wonderful piece of clothing a few years ago when my youngest son came home with one.
I love the things. Massively comfortable in seriously cold weather.

This sweater is not, to my understanding, a balaclava however.
Old 9th February 2019, 05:15 PM   #46
RolandRat
Thinker

IMO Gucci knew full well what they were doing. Smacks of a publicity stunt.
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2019, 05:30 PM   #47
GT/CS
Illuminator

Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
IMO Gucci knew full well what they were doing. Smacks of a publicity stunt.
I think you may be giving the fashion industry and large companies way too much credit. Most of it and them seem to be filled with morons.
Old 9th February 2019, 06:51 PM   #48
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Probably. Still stupid, but not grossly offensive.
Maybe pink lips would have been better?
Old 9th February 2019, 10:22 PM   #49
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Maybe pink lips would have been better?
White. I mean thatís what they were really aiming for, surely?
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2019, 02:13 PM   #50
Elvis666
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
I used to wear a scarf wrapped around my face, along with a wool cap. I only discovered that wonderful piece of clothing a few years ago when my youngest son came home with one.
My wife bought me one a few years ago to use when observing the skies in winter. Also keeps the exhalation through the nose from fogging up the eyepiece.
Old 10th February 2019, 06:48 PM   #51
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

TBF Balaclavas can be way too hot in some countries, but in I wouldn't rob another bank without one.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With todayís Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 06:10 AM   #52
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
Norwegian soldier reporting in....

The balaclava is part of standard infantry equiptment here.
I can definitely see them serving a good purpose for a soldier, but for a random bloke in the UK, I just don't see it.

They were a thing of childhood for me, when it was cold and you were going round the shops for sweets, lol.

The Mexican cartels seem to get a lot of use out of them.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 06:14 AM   #53
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post

This sweater is not, to my understanding, a balaclava however.
Originally Posted by cmikes View Post
I had a job as traffic control for an oil field site for a while. Believe me, when you're outside 12 hours a shift in subzero weather, you wear whatever you can. Thankfully, in West Virginia, you don't need gear like that for very long every year, but when you need it, you really need it.

Yeah, they can have a purpose, if you work a certain job or spend a lot of time outdoors in the low temperatures.

But I don't know if this Gucci one is intended for such things, though it can certainly be used for such.

I just envision man-bun having, tight-jeans wearing, stylish beard-owning men wearing them to go to their local craft beer bar in slightly cold weather to discuss how Brexit will affect them being able to buy German whey protein.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 07:15 AM   #54
Fizil
Muse

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Vaudeville performers didn't paint on red lips when doing blackface. Do black people have very red lips or something? Didn't think so.
The stereotype isn't really red lips, it is excessively large lips (although I take issue with your point anyway, there are plenty of examples of at least the advertisements for minstrel shows showing large red lips, I have no idea if they were actually red in the shows as every picture I've seen in black-and-white).

This actually brings to mind minor childhood psychological trauma. In early grade school, I was the only white kid in my school. Kids, being the *bleep*s that they are, would often tease me about wearing lipstick. Because of course, black people's lips often don't look very red, my lips were much redder than any other kid, reminding them of lipstick.

Last edited by Fizil; 11th February 2019 at 07:17 AM.
Fizil is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 03:27 PM   #55
Information Analyst
Philosopher

I can definitely see them serving a good purpose for a soldier, but for a random bloke in the UK, I just don't see it.

They were a thing of childhood for me, when it was cold and you were going round the shops for sweets, lol.

The Mexican cartels seem to get a lot of use out of them.
"Balaclava helmets" were very much part of my 70s childhood in Hull.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 05:58 PM   #56
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
"Balaclava helmets" were very much part of my 70s childhood in Hull.
And a gay bar in Sebastopol?
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 06:07 PM   #57
Distracted1
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Fizil View Post
The stereotype isn't really red lips, it is excessively large lips (although I take issue with your point anyway, there are plenty of examples of at least the advertisements for minstrel shows showing large red lips, I have no idea if they were actually red in the shows as every picture I've seen in black-and-white).

This actually brings to mind minor childhood psychological trauma. In early grade school, I was the only white kid in my school. Kids, being the *bleep*s that they are, would often tease me about wearing lipstick. Because of course, black people's lips often don't look very red, my lips were much redder than any other kid, reminding them of lipstick.

These were ubiquitous when I was a small child.
Old 12th February 2019, 09:22 AM   #58
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Katy Perry faces criticism over shoe design resembling blackface
CNN: https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/11/enter...oes/index.html
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2019, 09:25 AM   #59
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Popular North Myrtle Beach SC restaurant:

https://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/ne...E_1140/Capture
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2019, 09:55 AM   #60
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Katy Perry faces criticism over shoe design resembling blackface
CNN: https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/11/enter...oes/index.html
A shoe with eyes and lips on it is kind of fun. But that colorway is certainly problematic at this point in human history.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2019, 11:33 AM   #61
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

So high profile democrat and democrat convention free concert giver, is actually an alt-right, nazi, white nationalists thug.

Wouldn't surprise me is she wears confederate flag patterned under pants

Horrifying

Quick - Everyone boycott her music and tweet about how shocked we are at her racist attitudes.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With todayís Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2019, 11:58 PM   #62
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

For what it is worth, I used to wear a balaclava, rolled up, as a beanie, when walking in the high country.

When the weather rolled in, as it often does, I'd just roll it down to cover my face and neck.

You can do that very quickly, and to your walking companions, it presents like a scary magic trick.

No way I'd wear one decorated like the jumper in the OP though.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events