ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 11th February 2019, 01:27 PM   #1
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Some Washington sheriffs refuse to enforce new gun laws

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wire...-laws-60985838

"Sheriffs in a dozen Washington counties say they won't enforce the state's sweeping new restrictions on semi-automatic rifles until the courts decide whether they are constitutional.

A statewide initiative approved by voters in November raised the minimum age for buying semi-automatic rifles from 18 to 21, required buyers to first pass a firearms safety course and added expanded background checks and gun storage requirements, among other things. It was among the most comprehensive of a string of state-level gun-control measures enacted in the U.S. after last year's shooting at a Florida high school.

Lincoln County Sheriff Wade Magers noted more than 75 percent of voters in his small county just west of Spokane voted against the initiative. He called the new rules unenforceable."

Old 11th February 2019, 01:37 PM   #2
fagin
Philosopher

That's what happens when you have politicians pretending to be cops.
Old 11th February 2019, 01:48 PM   #3
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post

"Sheriffs in a dozen Washington counties say they won't enforce the state's sweeping new restrictions on semi-automatic rifles until the courts decide whether they are constitutional.

A statewide initiative approved by voters in November raised the minimum age for buying semi-automatic rifles from 18 to 21, required buyers to first pass a firearms safety course and added expanded background checks and gun storage requirements, among other things. It was among the most comprehensive of a string of state-level gun-control measures enacted in the U.S. after last year's shooting at a Florida high school.

Lincoln County Sheriff Wade Magers noted more than 75 percent of voters in his small county just west of Spokane voted against the initiative. He called the new rules unenforceable."

The first three ARE enforceable.

...Lincoln County Sheriff Wade Magers noted more than 75 percent of voters in his small county just west of Spokane voted against the initiative...

Do you also get to choose how your tax dollars are spent?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 01:50 PM   #4
Thermal
Philosopher

And I hear the Sherrifs think we may have been a little hasty with the gay marriage thing, too. Their county residents don't like that one much, either. While they're at it, they're a-fixin to take a quick straw poll on the 13th amendment.
Old 11th February 2019, 01:54 PM   #5
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

I imagine that most licensed dealers are still going to be compliant. None of them are going to want to have the AG raining down legal hellfire for noncompliance.
Old 11th February 2019, 01:57 PM   #6
Delphic Oracle
Master Poster

The court decides when to stay implementation. A good way to get that judgment to not go your way is to publicly usurp court powers in a brazen display.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 02:11 PM   #7
crescent
Master Poster

They are associated with this group:

Constitutional Sheriffs and Peace Officers Association. They also came out in support of the (Bundy) Malheur Wildlife Refuge takeover, and I think one or two members visited the Bunkerville/Bundy standoff as well.

Old hat, nothing new. This happens with most any new gun safety regulations or laws.

Let's just hope they don't blabber on about "law abiding gun owners", since they seem to want to be complicit in allowing gun owners to break laws with impunity.

ETA: Another link about the group The Renegade Sheriffs.

Last edited by crescent; 11th February 2019 at 02:13 PM.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 02:14 PM   #8
Belz...
Fiend God

Thumbsup for illegal refusal to obey orders. Did the court issue a temporary order that allows for this decision?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 02:21 PM   #9
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post

Do you also get to choose how your tax dollars are spent?
To me they all look enforceable.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 02:25 PM   #10
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
They are associated with this group:

Constitutional Sheriffs and Peace Officers Association. They also came out in support of the (Bundy) Malheur Wildlife Refuge takeover, and I think one or two members visited the Bunkerville/Bundy standoff as well.

Old hat, nothing new. This happens with most any new gun safety regulations or laws.

Let's just hope they don't blabber on about "law abiding gun owners", since they seem to want to be complicit in allowing gun owners to break laws with impunity.

ETA: Another link about the group The Renegade Sheriffs.
No real Sherrif would take issue with arson or poaching
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 06:35 PM   #11
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
All of them have to do with buying. Sheriffs are not even involved with that. So, while I commend their attitude, it is just another posture.

So far as constitutionality, which part of " shall not infringe the right to keep and bear" is NOT in the constitution?

Age discrimination anybody? That will need the courts to decide.

So I can see the sheriffs have a point in waiting for the courts to drop a gavel. I assume that is a case in court?
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 06:38 PM   #12
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Fire them (the sheriffs, not the guns) and recruit people who WILL enforce the Laws.
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 06:47 PM   #13
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

They just want to be famous like that woman who refused to give marriage licenses to gay couples because "she didn't like it".
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 06:58 PM   #14
crescent
Master Poster

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
All of them have to do with buying. Sheriffs are not even involved with that. So, while I commend their attitude, it is just another posture.

So far as constitutionality, which part of " shall not infringe the right to keep and bear" is NOT in the constitution?

So I can see the sheriffs have a point in waiting for the courts to drop a gavel. I assume that is a case in court?
All parts of the act are things that have been previously challenged in court and found to be constitutional. To quote Justice Scalia:

Quote:
The right to keep and bear arms, according to Scalia, “was not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose.” Indeed, he adds, “nothing in our opinion should be taken to cast doubt” on a wide range of gun restrictions, including such categories as “laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of firearms,” “prohibitions on carrying concealed weapons,” and prohibitions on “dangerous and unusual weapons,” a listing of “presumptively lawful regulatory measures” that “does not purport to be exhaustive.”
The age discrimination may be a thing though. That may run afoul of the Constitution of the State of Washington - but that's not a federal issue.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 07:11 PM   #15
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I don't.

Police are there to enforce the laws, not to decide what is constitutional or unconstitutional; that latter part is for Congress and the Courts to decide, not beat cops. They should do their job and leave constitutionality in the purview of the lawmakers.

The Constitution does not specify what particular arms you have a right to bear, only that you have the right to bear them.

If you take the widest possible interpretation, you will have the right to keep and bear Abrams tanks, anti-aircraft guns, field howitzers, missiles and nuclear weapons... they are all "arms".

If you take the narrowest possible interpretation, your right to bear arms applies only the those types of arms that The Founders would have known about and would have had in mind, so, muzzle-loading flintlocks would be your limit.

Commonsense holds that it is reasonable to look for a fair compromise between those two limits.

I live in a society that bans ownership of firearms which are designed for the sole purpose of allowing the user to kill as many people as possible in the shortest possible time.... and even as a keen gun user myself, I am very happy about that.

Rubbish. All sorts of things have age limits and restrictions; driver licensing, voting in elections, joining the military, consuming alcohol. You even have an age limit on who can be POTUS (35 years IIRC)

Where to do draw the line? 18? 17? 16? 15? 14? 13? 12? 11? 10?

Do you really want eight and nine year-olds being legally allowed to tote an AR15?
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920

Last edited by smartcooky; 11th February 2019 at 07:13 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 10:38 PM   #16
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

They should all resign or be sacked
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2019, 12:20 AM   #17
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

It's already infringed. The only thing under contention is where to draw the line.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2019, 08:47 AM   #18
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

What's hilarious about the "Constitutional Sheriffs" organization is I'm pretty sure the word "Sheriff" appears nowhere in the document.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events