ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Closed Thread
Old 2nd February 2019, 12:41 AM   #3401
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Well...

My recommendation to you, is that every time you see a news story, with any identifiable quotes, you visit the website of the person (or organisation) that was quoted, and check the press releases on their media page.

Some of my stuff ran in the USA by the way.

YMMV.
Old 2nd February 2019, 03:00 PM   #3402
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
<snip>

I wonder if the dressing-up will have the effect hoped for here. Part of me would think it better for her to come on as a tough professional cop. If the charge is that her action was caused by a lack of expertise and experience, I don't spiffy dress as being the way to counter it.

The charge doesn't have anything to do with what caused her to gun down an unarmed man sitting in his own apartment eating cereal and watching sports.

The charge is that she did it. The prosecution doesn't have to explain why.

That's the defense's job, trying to snow the jury into believing there was some rational explanation for what she did that somehow relieves her of culpability.

I doubt that 'tough, highly trained professional' is the right tack to take if they want to do that.
Old 2nd February 2019, 06:59 PM   #3403
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
The charge doesn't have anything to do with what caused her to gun down an unarmed man sitting in his own apartment eating cereal and watching sports.

The charge is that she did it. The prosecution doesn't have to explain why.

That's the defense's job, trying to snow the jury into believing there was some rational explanation for what she did that somehow relieves her of culpability.

I doubt that 'tough, highly trained professional' is the right tack to take if they want to do that.
I suppose I put it badly, but I think that since there's no doubt in anyone's mind that she did the thing she did, there is little defense for it unless it can be shown that, in some way, it is the kind of thing an otherwise competent person might do. Of course things can be played in other ways, and juries are funny sometimes, so who knows. I would not have thought that justification for such an act is found in one's appearance, but I'm not on the jury.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2019, 05:34 AM   #3404
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I suppose I put it badly, but I think that since there's no doubt in anyone's mind that she did the thing she did, there is little defense for it unless it can be shown that, in some way, it is the kind of thing an otherwise competent person might do. Of course things can be played in other ways, and juries are funny sometimes, so who knows.

That's right. That's pretty much what I just said.

Quote:
I would not have thought that justification for such an act is found in one's appearance, but I'm not on the jury.

Defense lawyers know that their client's appearance will have a huge effect on a jury, and do everything they can to control that.

It probably shouldn't be that way. Research has shown that juries come to noticeably different conclusions when they are given transcripts of a trial rather than watching the same trial in person, but the system we have is what we have to work with, and lawyers on both sides of any trial are going to take every advantage of it.
Old 3rd February 2019, 02:23 PM   #3405
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Defense lawyers know that their client's appearance will have a huge effect on a jury, and do everything they can to control that.

It probably shouldn't be that way. Research has shown that juries come to noticeably different conclusions when they are given transcripts of a trial rather than watching the same trial in person, but the system we have is what we have to work with, and lawyers on both sides of any trial are going to take every advantage of it.
Of course. Even our "criminal justice system" has been monetized and overrun with money-based manipulations.
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 11:40 AM   #3406
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Neighbor who filmed aftermath of shooting of Botham Jean has received death threats, she says

Originally Posted by ABC News
The woman who filmed the aftermath of the shooting of Botham Jean the man killed in his own apartment by former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger said she has been receiving death threats and was fired from her job after she uploaded the video to social media.

The video shows an apparently distressed Guyger, still in her police uniform, talking on her phone as she paces back-and-forth outside Jean's apartment on Sept. 6. The neighbor who took it, who only wished to be identified by the name "Bunny," said in an interview published on Jan. 20 on YouTube by the Advise Media Network that she began recording about 60 seconds after hearing two gunshots and hearing a male voice saying, "Oh my God. Why did you do that?"

Bunny says she didn't plan on uploading the video at first, but in the days after the shooting, she saw reports that contradicted what was on the video she took on her phone...

The harassment began shortly after Bunny uploaded the video to social media, she said. "I did get a few threats from people saying they weren't gonna leave any witnesses behind, telling me I need to watch my back, things like that," she said. Trolls also found the name of the pharmaceutical company where Bunny worked and began harassing the company by phone, email and posting to its Facebook page, saying she was a "radical," "anti-police" and "a black extremist," she said.

Bunny said her employer let her go, explaining that they "didn't want their company associated with a high-profile case." When she threatened to go to the media, they then "took it a step further" and blacklisted her credentials, which she said they were able to do because she earned the credentials while working for them. Bunny did not reveal the name of the company because she is in the process of appealing the blacklisting of her credentials, she said. ABC News could not independently confirm her claims that she was fired, or, if so, why...
This is one of the two sisters mentioned as witnesses.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/neighbor-f...ry?id=60750902

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Two sisters. Sometimes reported as living together and sometimes as living separate. Can't find their names or the location of their unit(s) other than near Jean. Several days after the incident, Attorney Merritt says they say they heard knocking, "Let me in", gunshots, and then "Oh my God why did you do that?" Police source (leak) says that they didn't give the same story to police right after the incident.
I didn't know that one of these sisters was the video-taker of the scene with Guyger pacing and on the phone. Now we know that she lives on the floor below Jean.
Old 11th February 2019, 11:48 AM   #3407
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Seems odd to me. The video does not appear to be anything but neutral to me. It doesn't help or hurt either side.

It's just a poor quality, but interesting, video of Guyger right after the incident.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 11:56 AM   #3408
Ron Swanson
Illuminator

[b]"Blacklisted" her Credentials.
I'd like to see the technical procedure on how that occurs?

What "credentials" are needed to work at a pharmacy? In Canada (besides the pharmacist)all you need is white coat and how do the "credentials" get officially "black listed" ... seems odd to me.
Ron Swanson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 12:03 PM   #3409
Ron Swanson
Illuminator

This is the video I saw of her entering court. ....
agreed ... I'd say she looks very young .. like college kid in that video ... blonde people often are assume to be more innocent looking as well.
Ron Swanson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 12:14 PM   #3410
Ron Swanson
Illuminator

Quote:
... plays loud music early in the morning so I walk into his apartment and shoot him.
I've seen this scenario posted here a dozen times ... does ANYONE actually think this is what happened??
Old 11th February 2019, 12:21 PM   #3411
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
I've seen this scenario posted here a dozen times ... does ANYONE actually think this is what happened??
It's hard to believe that many people believe that, but clearly they do.

I would guess that the prosecution's theory of the case will not have any such reason for the shooting, or any reason at all.

The theory will be that Guyger's basic story is accurate, and that she's guilty of some degree of murder based upon that story.

There will never be any evidence of any connection between Guyger and Jean, because there is no connection.

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 12:31 PM   #3412
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Seems odd to me. The video does not appear to be anything but neutral to me. It doesn't help or hurt either side.

It's just a poor quality, but interesting, video of Guyger right after the incident.
Bunny (like Merritt) thinks that the killing was premeditated. They think that Guyger went to Jean's apartment for the purpose of killing him.

She thinks that her video shows contradictions of what Guyger is known to have said about the incident. She sees that Guyger is pacing and talking on the phone instead of giving first aid, which is what she said she did. Bunny says that the phone call sounded personal rather than a call to 911. So Bunny is thinking, "Not giving first aid and not even calling 911. This woman wants that man to be dead. My video shows this."

Originally Posted by ABC News
"It was just a lot of crying, a lot of hysterics," Bunny said. "She was just pacing back-and-forth for at least seven minutes, according to my video."
Her video lasts for 7 minutes? I don't recall it being that long. I also don't remember her video showing the arrival of first responders - only when they leave with Jean on the gurney. Bunny says that she started filming Guyger only about 60 seconds after the gunshots.

I wonder if Bunny actually started filming after the first reponders were already there and working on Jean inside the apartment.
Old 11th February 2019, 12:46 PM   #3413
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

Bunny (like Merritt) thinks that the killing was premeditated. They think that Guyger went to Jean's apartment for the purpose of killing him.

She thinks that her video shows contradictions of what Guyger is known to have said about the incident. She sees that Guyger is pacing and talking on the phone instead of giving first aid, which is what she said she did. Bunny says that the phone call sounded personal rather than a call to 911. So Bunny is thinking, "Not giving first aid and not even calling 911. This woman wants that man to be dead. My video shows this."
I don't know, what makes Bunny think she can tell the difference between a personal call and a 911 call in a situation like that? The caller is hysterical, it's not like they put on their "phone voice." When a person calls emergency services in the thick of something like this, I would expect many to be babbling and incoherent and definitely speaking informally.

I have no position on what really happened here. Like most people I've talked to, I find the whole story simply bizarre. But somehow, the idea that the killing was premeditated (with THIS as the cover story?) seems even more farfetched to me than Guyger's explanation.
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 12:47 PM   #3414
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
What "credentials" are needed to work at a pharmacy? In Canada (besides the pharmacist)all you need is white coat and how do the "credentials" get officially "black listed" ... seems odd to me.
It says she worked at a pharmaceutical company, not a pharmacy. Who knows what she did there. It seems weird to me, or at least she has a weird way of describing what her employer did to her.
Old 11th February 2019, 12:53 PM   #3415
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by isissxn View Post
I don't know, what makes Bunny think she can tell the difference between a personal call and a 911 call in a situation like that? The caller is hysterical, it's not like they put on their "phone voice." When a person calls emergency services in the thick of something like this, I would expect many to be babbling and incoherent and definitely speaking informally.

I have no position on what really happened here. Like most people I've talked to, I find the whole story simply bizarre. But somehow, the idea that the killing was premeditated (with THIS as the cover story?) seems even more farfetched to me than Guyger's explanation.
Bunny might be 100% correct about that being a personal phone call. Guyger may have already made the call to 911 and now she is on a call to a family member. Guyger may have made multiple phone calls with the first one being to 911 while she is still inside the apartment.
Old 11th February 2019, 12:58 PM   #3416
Drewbot
Philosopher

It sounds like Bunny might be playing for a GoFundMe page, or some lawsuit.
Drewbot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 10:47 PM   #3417
chrispy
Muse

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
It sounds like Bunny might be playing for a GoFundMe page, or some lawsuit.
Ah, yes. The completely logical conclusion (*no bias included).
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 11:24 PM   #3418
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
Ah, yes. The completely logical conclusion (*no bias included).
She does have a GoFundMe page to raise funds for herself where she has nearly met the $30,000 goal. She has also said that she is trying to get a book deal. And she started up a clothing brand on social media.

She seems to be making a much bigger deal of this video that it is. She seems to think there is some grand conspiracy which she has had a major role in uncovering, which I don't think is the case.

Her claims for the motivation for firing her as well as the claims of being blacklisted and denied some sort of certificate seem like unsubstantiated speculation at best.
Heaven forbid someone reads these words and claims to be adversely affected by them, thus ensuring a barrage of lawsuits filed under the guise of protecting the unknowing victims who were stupid enough to read this and believe it! - Kevin Trudeau
DevilsAdvocate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 11:33 PM   #3419
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

"Oh my god, why did you do that?" Could be from one of the first responders or a bystander. It could even have been Guyger talking to herself.

Old 11th February 2019, 11:53 PM   #3420
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Her video lasts for 7 minutes? I don't recall it being that long. I also don't remember her video showing the arrival of first responders - only when they leave with Jean on the gurney. Bunny says that she started filming Guyger only about 60 seconds after the gunshots.

I wonder if Bunny actually started filming after the first reponders were already there and working on Jean inside the apartment.
Is the full 7 minute video available somewhere?

The claim that she was filming Guyger 60 seconds after the shooting seems misleading or simply incorrect. Part of the video shows Guyger on the phone walking into the hallway and turning around back into the hallway. Just after that the video show a police officer entering the hallway from the left. It then cuts to another scene.

That means police were on site at the time Guyger was filmed talking on the phone. We have previous reports that the police arrived 3-4 minutes after the 911 call. The police station is only about a block and half away, but some officers responded on foot and they could not get in the locked doors and had to bang on the doors to get residents to let them in. A 3 minute response time seems reasonable.

Bunny may have started recording 60 seconds after the shots were fired, but the part of the video with Guyger talking on the phone would have to be about 3-4 minutes after the 911 call when police were on site. That would mean that the video does not directly contradict Guyger's claim that she rendered aid immediately after the 911 call.
Heaven forbid someone reads these words and claims to be adversely affected by them, thus ensuring a barrage of lawsuits filed under the guise of protecting the unknowing victims who were stupid enough to read this and believe it! - Kevin Trudeau

Last edited by DevilsAdvocate; 12th February 2019 at 12:10 AM.
DevilsAdvocate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th February 2019, 12:07 AM   #3421
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

"Oh my god, why did you do that?" Could be from one of the first responders or a bystander. It could even have been Guyger talking to herself.
She said it was a man's voice. She says she heard it right after she heard the gunshots.

Given the circumstances, it would be a reasonable thing for Jean to say. But it seems unlikely Bunny would have heard that.

Merritt had said she was in her apartment. Jean would have had to yell that very loud for his voice to travel across his apartment, out the door, through the hall, down to the next floor, and into her apartment. Especially when nobody else has claimed to have heard that. No next door neighbors. Not even the neighbor that was right there in the hall leading to Jean's apartment.
Old 12th February 2019, 12:27 AM   #3422
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

It kind of looks like Jean fell all the way back near the rear window of the apartment, assuming that the items on the floor are bloody and that's a blood stain on the floor.

If that's the case, I did not realize Jean was that far back.

https://www.insideedition.com/sites/...1280x720_0.jpg

https://youtu.be/-Mb6EHNnpEA?t=18

Last edited by LTC8K6; 12th February 2019 at 12:29 AM.
Old 12th February 2019, 05:15 AM   #3423
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

It kind of looks like Jean fell all the way back near the rear window of the apartment, assuming that the items on the floor are bloody and that's a blood stain on the floor.

If that's the case, I did not realize Jean was that far back.

https://www.insideedition.com/sites/...1280x720_0.jpg

https://youtu.be/-Mb6EHNnpEA?t=18
he may have moved to that spot after being shot. We don't know that he immediately fell and may very well have retreated from the armed invader of his apartment before dying of his wounds.
Old 12th February 2019, 07:48 AM   #3424
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
he may have moved to that spot after being shot. We don't know that he immediately fell and may very well have retreated from the armed invader of his apartment before dying of his wounds.
The ottoman with the bowl of cereal is right there.

There appears to be a TV there as well to the left.

Plus we can see a bullet hole high in the wall right in line with that area.

For now, I think Jean was back there when he was shot.

Still looking for better pics, though.

That may be why there are murder charges?

If Jean was back there, he was no immediate threat to Guyger at all.

Last edited by LTC8K6; 12th February 2019 at 07:49 AM.
Old 12th February 2019, 07:53 AM   #3425
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

We did get a report about how far his body was away from the door. His body was found closer to the door than where this staining appears.
Old 12th February 2019, 07:57 AM   #3426
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Is this where you see the possible blood staining?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stain.jpg (55.3 KB, 15 views)
Old 12th February 2019, 07:57 AM   #3427
Thermal
Philosopher

The ottoman with the bowl of cereal is right there.

There appears to be a TV there as well to the left.

Plus we can see a bullet hole high in the wall right in line with that area.

For now, I think Jean was back there when he was shot.

Still looking for better pics, though.

That may be why there are murder charges?

If Jean was back there, he was no immediate threat to Guyger at all.
Very minor point: pics of the place seem to show that Jean was not exactly a neat freak. That cereal bowl could have been from the morning.
Old 12th February 2019, 08:01 AM   #3428
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

https://100-jo.com/wp-content/upload...r-1024x576.jpg

Does anyone else see a possible empty round on the ottoman?

Last edited by LTC8K6; 12th February 2019 at 08:03 AM.
Old 12th February 2019, 08:03 AM   #3429
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Is this where you see the possible blood staining?
Yes.

Old 12th February 2019, 08:06 AM   #3430
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Does anyone else see a possible empty round on the ottoman?
Nope.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cereal.jpg (26.6 KB, 18 views)
Old 12th February 2019, 08:08 AM   #3431
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Nope.
Doesn't really look like the item, though.

And the papers appear to be gone?

Old 12th February 2019, 08:09 AM   #3432
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

But, I think I do remember the listing of the recovery of Guyger's empties.

Old 12th February 2019, 08:10 AM   #3433
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

But, I think I do remember the listing of the recovery of Guyger's empties.
Two empty cartridges found just inside the doorway.
Old 12th February 2019, 08:13 AM   #3434
Drewbot
Philosopher

From Dallas PD General Orders.

I've picked out some relevant portions, bolded related details:

Originally Posted by 801.03
G. The uniform will not be worn off-duty except when:
1. Traveling to and from work.
2. Appearing in court in an official capacity for the Dallas Police Department.
3. Engaging in outside employment in an approved official police capacity
Originally Posted by 802.19
5. All uniformed officers will wear their ballistic vest while working off-duty jobs.
Originally Posted by 906.02
A. Justification for the Use of Deadly Force -In all situations, justification for the use of deadly force must be limited to
the facts reasonably apparent to the officer at the time the officer decides to use the force.
B. Definitions
1. Reasonably Perceive - The facts or circumstances the employee knows, or should know, that would cause an
ordinary and prudent peace officer to act or think in a similar way under similar circumstances.
2. Reasonable Alternative - An action that may be taken by the officer that may allow the officer to avoid the use of
deadly force.
3. Reasonable Belief - A belief that would be held by an ordinary and prudent person in the same circumstances
as the actor.
4. Serious Bodily Injury - Bodily injury that creates a substantial risk of death, serious permanent disfigurement, or
protracted loss of impairment of the function of any bodily member or organ.
C. Avoiding the Use of Deadly Force
1. At the point when an officer should reasonably perceive the potential exists that deadly force may be an
outcome of any situation, the officer must use reasonable alternatives if time and opportunities permit. The
reasonableness of the action is based upon the time available, the opportunity of performing the action, and the
facts apparent to the officer prior to and during the incident.
2. Planned and supervised hazardous entry situations are recognized as meeting the requirements of reasonable
alternatives above.
3. Officers will not fire their weapons under conditions that would unnecessarily subject bystanders or hostages to
death or possible injury except to preserve life or to prevent serious bodily injury.
D. Authorization to Use Deadly Force -Officers will only use deadly force to protect themselves or another person from
imminent death or serious bodily injury
E. Drawing or Displaying Firearms - Officers may draw or display firearms when there is a threat or reasonable belief
that there is a threat to life or they have a reasonable fear for their own safety and/or the safety of others.

F. Discharging Firearms at Moving Vehicles -
1. Discharging firearms at a moving or fleeing vehicle is prohibited unless it is necessary to prevent imminent
death or serious bodily injury to the officer or another person.
2. Officers will not voluntarily place themselves in a position in front of an oncoming vehicle where deadly force is
a probable outcome.
3. When confronting an oncoming vehicle, officers will move out of its path, if possible, rather than fire at the
vehicle.
G. Officers will not fire warning shots.
H. Policy Restrictions - The restrictions of this policy shall not apply if an off-duty officer acts within the provisions of
current state statutes to protect the employee's personal property. In this case the officer is acting as a private
citizen
Now I'm wondering if they fired her, so she wouldn't have to answer to the reasonable alternatives restriction. Maybe they are helping her by firing her?
There is no duty to retreat for a private citizen?

Originally Posted by Code of Conduct Chapter 3
3.6 Officers must be armed at all times while on duty in the City of Dallas unless directed not to carry a weapon by the Chief of
Police. When an officer is on duty, the weapon shall conform to the standards and required qualifications as set forth in the
General Orders.
3.7 With the exceptions listed, an officer at his option, when off-duty, may be armed with a departmentally approved make and
caliber weapon. If armed, the officer must be currently qualified with that weapon as set forth in the General Orders.
Exceptions: An officer must be armed with a departmentally approved weapon:
A. At any time when in a city vehicle.
B. At any time when in uniform.
C. When performing police related off-duty employment.
Here is where we can maybe find out why she was fired
Originally Posted by Code of Conduct Ch 4
4.1 Dereliction of duty on the part of any employee, detrimental to the proper performance of the functions of the Department,
is cause for corrective action.
The following subsections constitute dereliction of duty.
A. Failure of a supervisor or commander to immediately take action when a violation of rules or regulations comes to his
attention, regardless of the supervisor's or violator's assignment or rank within the Department.
B. Failure to deliver to the official departmental custodian any property found by, confiscated by, or relinquished to
officers of this Department without undue delay and, in any event, before their tour of duty is ended.
C. Failure to place evidence in its officially designated place for preservation and storage.
D. Failure to take appropriate police action to aid a fellow peace officer exposed to danger or in a situation where danger
might be impending.
E. Cowardice or failures to perform police duties because of danger.
F. Any action that places any person in greater danger than is necessary for the proper performance of the employee's
duties.

G. To offer, agree to accept/deliver, or solicit a bribe. (A bribe shall be defined as a gift, emolument, money, thing of
value, testimonial, appointment or personal advantage, or the promise or solicitation of same for the purpose of
obtaining special privileges or personal gain by the donor or other person.)
H. For the purpose of protecting life and property, officers will always be considered on duty while in the City of Dallas
and shall be prepared to act to the extent possible any time circumstances indicate their services are required.
The above enforcement action will not include:
1. Enforcement of laws of a Class C Misdemeanor nature or traffic enforcement when out of uniform and off-duty
unless in an off-duty employment capacity and with prior supervisory permission.
2. Enforcement responsibilities beyond the ability of the officer when he is not armed. (Appropriate action in such
cases may include calling 911.)
4.2 No employee shall be convicted of, nor commit, any act or omission which is defined as a criminal act.
4.3 No employee shall engage in any conduct which adversely affects the morale or efficiency of the Department or which has
a tendency to adversely affect, lower or destroy public respect and confidence in the Department or officer.

4.4 No employee, when acting outside the course and scope of his duties, shall precipitate, cause, or escalate a disturbance or
police incident to his discredit.

4.5 No employee shall fail or deliberately refuse to obey a lawful order given by a supervisory member including any order
relayed from a superior by an employee of same or lesser rank.
4.6 Employees shall treat supervisory members, subordinates, and associates with respect. They shall be courteous and civil
at all times in their relationships with one another.
4.7 Employees shall not publicly criticize or ridicule the Department, its policies, or other employees by talking, writing, or
expressing in a manner which:
A. Is defamatory.
B. Is obscene.
C. Is unlawful.
D. Tends to impair the operation of the Department by interfering with its efficiency, by interfering with the ability of
supervisors to maintain discipline, or by a reckless disregard for the truth.
4.8 No employee shall be under the influence of drugs or be a user of drugs when such drugs are not prescribed by a physician
or dentist or to take drugs in a manner not prescribed by a physician or dentist.
4.9 Employees will notify a supervisor in their chain of command when they are taking any drug prescribed by a physician or
dentist which might impair their ability to operate a motor vehicle or which might affect their judgment.
(When notice is
provided by prescription label).
4.10 Officers shall not use any unnecessary or inappropriate force against any person.
4.11 No employee shall at any time ridicule, mock, deride, taunt, or belittle any person.
4.12 No employee shall willfully embarrass, humiliate, or shame any person.
4.13 No employee shall willfully harass any person nor take any action in a manner that might excite a person to violence.
4.14 No employee shall use loud or harsh language in performance of official duties except as necessary to gain control of an
escalating situation.
4.15 No employee shall use indecent or profane language in the performance of official duties or in the presence of the public.
4.16 No employee will make any comment or expression, either written or oral, which would deride, demean, condemn, or
ridicule any person based upon their race
, ethnicity, sex, religion, or sexual orientation, either on-duty or off-duty, if such
comment or expression will tend to generate controversy and disruption within the Department, impede upon the
Department’s general operation and performance, and affect working relationships necessary to the Department’s proper
functioning.
While on-duty or on City premises, employees’ will neither display nor wear items that they know another person could
reasonably consider offensive
4.17 Employees will be courteous and civil when dealing with members of the public or other City employees. Employees will
not treat members of the public or other employees in a discourteous, irresponsible, or indifferent manner. <Snipped out to 4.21>
Originally Posted by Code of Conduct Chapter 5
5.15 A. Employees shall not consume intoxicants while off-duty and operate any city equipment while such consumption is
apparent.
B. Employees shall not consume intoxicants while off-duty to the extent that evidence of such consumption is apparent
when reporting for duty or to the extent their job performance is impaired.
5.16 Employees shall not be intoxicated while on duty. They shall not at any time, on or off-duty, be intoxicated in public view.
5.17 No employee in uniform shall purchase, possess, be under the influence of, or drink intoxicants while on or off-duty.
https://www.muckrock.com/foi/dallas-...16/#file-81249

Last edited by Drewbot; 12th February 2019 at 08:14 AM.
Drewbot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th February 2019, 08:19 AM   #3435
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Doesn't really look like the item, though.
It is the same object. Look at it during camera pan at 0:42 instead of as a still frame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Mb6EHNnpEA
Old 12th February 2019, 08:40 AM   #3436
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

This is what I have.

Blue=reported location of two spent cartridges.
Red=reported location of Jean's body.
Turquoise=possible blood stains.
Green=location of bullet hole.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Floorlocations.jpg (63.6 KB, 15 views)
Old 12th February 2019, 09:40 AM   #3437
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

This is what I have.

Blue=reported location of two spent cartridges.
Red=reported location of Jean's body.
Turquoise=possible blood stains.
Green=location of bullet hole.
So maybe he is sitting back there eating cereal and watching TV.

Guyger at the door causes him to put the cereal bowl down on the ottoman and go to see who's messing with his door.

Guyger shoots him.

He makes it back to the spot near the sofa, probably trying to get to his cell phone.

I guess that is plausible.

Old 12th February 2019, 09:45 AM   #3438
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Jesus goddamn Christ.

Can I get list of all the ways I'm "allowed" to act when sitting alone in my own home that won't invite a wave of "Well that's odd... that's suspicious... well that just doesn't seem right to me..." when a cop walks in uninvited and shoots me dead for no reason?
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th February 2019, 09:52 AM   #3439
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Jesus goddamn Christ.

Can I get list of all the ways I'm "allowed" to act when sitting alone in my own home that won't invite a wave of "Well that's odd... that's suspicious... well that just doesn't seem right to me..." when a cop walks in uninvited and shoots me dead for no reason?
With what I believe to be blood, it just looked like Guyger might have shot Jean while he was considerably farther away from her.

I had never noticed the blood before.

Old 12th February 2019, 10:16 AM   #3440
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Can I get list of all the ways I'm "allowed" to act when sitting alone in my own home that won't invite a wave of "Well that's odd... that's suspicious...

I think you are seeing that where it doesn't exist.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events