ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 2nd January 2019, 09:56 PM   #1
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Stupid Parents + Stupid Zoo /= Dead Toddler, Luckily

Notwithstanding the former member who would probably argue that the parents were trying to murder their kid, this seems like a perfect storm of stupidity.

Who thought, "I know, we'll build a rhino enclosure for the Get Up Close to the Terrifying Beasts area and leave spaces in the fence that a toddler can get through" was a good idea?

I realize most people have never been out in the Umfolozi but the first thing Ranger Gary told us, and he repeated often, was "they're instinctively territorial and will charge anything or any creature that crosses their arbitrary boundaries". Those boundaries change depending on various factors, and I'd imagine that at a zoo "enclosure I go to often" is probably a line of demarcation.

Who let's their toddler out of their arms around great hulking mindless brutes (people or animals - I would neither let my toddler down in the All Blacks scrum nor in a crash of rhinos)?

Very fortunate that the tyke isn't dead.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/01/01/u...zoo/index.html

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 10:04 PM   #2
angrysoba
Philosophile

Because we just know that some racists are gonna race, it should be pointed out that this was a white rhino.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 10:09 PM   #3
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Toddler should have had a gun.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 10:55 PM   #4
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

There's something just very wrong about the whole concept of "popular rhino encounters."

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 11:30 PM   #5
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
A gun to stop a rhino would have to be bigger than the kid

Amazing animals

Fast as f'. Weigh about as much as a car, and are probably stronger and more protected. Get angry.

I think I read years ago (not sure if it's still current or whether I have it perfectly correct), that while people think the big cats are the biggest human killers, it is rhinos.

Mind you I would be angry too if I were them
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000

Last edited by cullennz; 2nd January 2019 at 11:31 PM.
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 11:31 PM   #6
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Somebody appears to have forgotten that a safe enclosure bars both the animals and the humans from each other's territory.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 11:32 PM   #7
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
s

Amazing animals

Fast as f'. Weigh about as much as a car, and are probably stronger and more protected. Get angry.

I think I read years ago that while ago (not sure if it's still current or whether I have it perfectly correct), that while people think the big cats are the biggest human killers, it is rhinos.

Mind you I would be angry too if I were them
Actually I thought I heard the biggest human killers are hippos.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 11:37 PM   #8
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Could be true actually now I think

It was years ago

They aren't a fun thing to run into either I would imagine
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 11:50 PM   #9
Shadowdweller
Muse

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Rhino too
Shadowdweller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 12:12 AM   #10
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Yes, because they spend a lot of time in rivers and lakes where people might fish, for example.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 12:51 AM   #11
EHocking
Philosopher

Since they’re the 3rd largest land animal behind elephant and white rhino, I’d say that they are not the biggest killers.

And of course none of these are the most deadly. The deadliest is actually one of the smallest animal.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald

Last edited by EHocking; 3rd January 2019 at 01:00 AM.
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 01:39 AM   #12
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

This is journalism sensational hype. This is a two year old toddler who should have been held back by her parents. She had to wedge her way through the bars. The father kept hold of her the whole time. She got "bumped" by the snout of one rhino. She suffered a mild abrasion to her face.

A kid would suffer more injury and risk by tripping on a lego brick and faceplanting on the carpet.
Old 3rd January 2019, 01:44 AM   #13
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
Since they’re the 3rd largest land animal behind elephant and white rhino, I’d say that they are not the biggest killers.

And of course none of these are the most deadly. The deadliest is actually one of the smallest animal.
Every ones friend the mosquito

I was talking butch animals

Made a hash of that post all round really

Old 3rd January 2019, 02:16 AM   #14
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

I think I saw a recent ranking of all creatures.

1. Man
2. Mosquito
3. Tse Tse Fly
4. Saltwater Croc
and then a whole bunch of amphibians, fish and reptiles five through nine and the Cape Buffalo was #10. No hippos, no rhinos. I think the latter can be explained by there being so few rhinos left. I'd imagine that while there are plenty of hippos, their habitat is much more limited now, too.

Oh, and you have to split "dogs" into two categories.... rabid and not. It's not the dog that kills, it's the rabies, so they count them as "disease deaths". Dogs would be waaaay up there near mosquitos if you counted rabies deaths which are astonishingly high, like 50 x that of crocodiles.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 3rd January 2019 at 02:17 AM.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 03:11 AM   #15
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post

1. Man
2. Mosquito
3. Tse Tse Fly
4. Saltwater Croc
and then a whole bunch of amphibians, fish and reptiles five through nine and the Cape Buffalo was #10. No hippos, no rhinos. I think the latter can be explained by there being so few rhinos left. I'd imagine that while there are plenty of hippos, their habitat is much more limited now, too.

Oh, and you have to split "dogs" into two categories.... rabid and not. It's not the dog that kills, it's the rabies, so they count them as "disease deaths". Dogs would be waaaay up there near mosquitos if you counted rabies deaths which are astonishingly high, like 50 x that of crocodiles.
Bit of a nitpick, but why count mosquitoes if we're going to leave out dogs? It's mosquito-borne disease that kills, not the loss of blood
Old 3rd January 2019, 03:17 AM   #16
baron

Quote:
A 2-year-old girl remains in the hospital a day after she was injured at a Florida zoo during a private rhino encounter experience
In the final analysis, all rhino encounters are private, and very personal.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 03:32 AM   #17
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
Bit of a nitpick, but why count mosquitoes if we're going to leave out dogs? It's mosquito-borne disease that kills, not the loss of blood
Perhaps because you can't vaccinate mosquitos? Alternately, the mosquito borne killers are pretty exclusive to that critter but rabies can come from various mammals, so the dog bit is significant.

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 3rd January 2019 at 03:33 AM.
Old 3rd January 2019, 03:46 AM   #18
baron

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
It would be more logical to discount mosquitoes. It's a bit like saying water is the most deadly liquid on earth on account of five million people dying from waterborne diseases each year. The only conceivable purpose of these 'most deadly' lists is a fun point of interest, and in which case it should relate to the character, behaviour and inherent danger of the animal itself.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 04:15 AM   #19
catsmate
No longer the 1

Mosquitoes, tsetse flies...
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 07:18 AM   #20
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

I wiki'd it, 55,000 rabies deaths per year worldwide.

Likje oine case/year in California, either in an international traveler or from a raccoon.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 08:28 AM   #21
baron

The dog bite problem is created entirely by humans. Dogs are domesticated animals. When people fail to live up to their responsibilities dogs run wild and become diseased, and some of those diseases come back to literally bite people in the ass. You reap what you sow.
Old 3rd January 2019, 08:42 AM   #22
carlitos
"más divertido"

Correcting the topic title to "does not equal" instead of "slash equal sign" would be helpful in this instance. I was surprised to read that the toddler died, after having read that she was only injured yesterday.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 08:48 AM   #23
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

An 11" gap? That wouldn't even cut it for a stair railing, how did they get away with that here?

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 09:28 AM   #24
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

....while people think the big cats are the biggest human killers, it is rhinos.......
No, you're confusing rhinos with hippos. And that's wrong too (rhinos, the few remaining ones, run away from humans). The biggest killers in the wild in Africa are 1/ mosquitoes, 2/ snakes, 3/ feral dogs. Hippos, in some sources, are said to kill around 3000 people a year (compared with 20,000+ each for dogs and snakes), and lions, leopards etc just a handful. Rhino kills of humans could likely be counted on one hand........per decade, and they'll all be captive animals.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 09:41 AM   #25
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I think we all know the difference between an animal attack and disease transmission.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 09:46 AM   #26
Castro
Muse

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Correcting the topic title to "does not equal" instead of "slash equal sign" would be helpful in this instance. I was surprised to read that the toddler died, after having read that she was only injured yesterday.
Does /= = ≠? (genuine question).
Castro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 09:53 AM   #27
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I think we all know the difference between an animal attack and disease transmission.
What does it count as if a chimp stabs you with a hepatitis-infected needle? Worst New Year's party ever.
Old 3rd January 2019, 09:55 AM   #28
Whip
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Because we just know that some racists are gonna race, it should be pointed out that this was a white rhino.
male? that would explain it.
Whip is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 10:29 AM   #29
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Castro View Post
Does /= = ≠? (genuine question).
I have seen it as " =/= " but never " /= "
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 10:37 AM   #30
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post

1. Man
2. Mosquito
3. Tse Tse Fly
4. Saltwater Croc
and then a whole bunch of amphibians, fish and reptiles five through nine and the Cape Buffalo was #10. No hippos, no rhinos.
I've seen various different reports in this regard. "Man" is frequently left out of the rankings as being in a separate category, mosquitos and tse tse flies may be left out since it's the diseases they spread which does the actual killing. For the rest, it seems to depend a bit on who you ask and how you count. This place claims hippos are number one in Africa:
https://www.reference.com/science/de...290af1b2ef5da3
This place lists top ten in Africa:
https://www.planetdeadly.com/animals...animals-africa
Rhinos are number 9, Nile croc is number 4, hippos are number 3. The number 2 and number 1 slots are really categories and not species: parasites and snakes, respectively.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 10:41 AM   #31
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

I've also seen it written as " != ", since that's frequently how it's written for computer programming.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 10:42 AM   #32
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by baron View Post
In the final analysis, all rhino encounters are private, and very personal.
Swipe charge right.
Old 3rd January 2019, 10:42 AM   #33
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Whip View Post
male? that would explain it.
Male rhinos are notoriously horny.
Old 3rd January 2019, 02:34 PM   #34
TheGnome
Thinker

ALGOL 68? Fortran 90? Haskell?

At least according to Wikipedia
TheGnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 03:34 PM   #35
Whip
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Male rhinos are notoriously horny.
but 'white males' are the devil. well, at least that's the latest rage.
Whip is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 03:40 PM   #36
Bob001
Philosopher

Let's note that she was barely brushed by the rhino. It would have been a tragedy -- and obviously unnecessary -- to kill it.
Quote:
The girl's father had been holding onto her at the time she fell and was able to pull her back almost as soon as she went into the enclosure, Winsten said.

When that happened, one of the female white rhinos turned her head and her snout made contact with the little girl. Winsten said zoo officials do not believe the rhino's horn hit the little girl.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...da/2461411002/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 03:44 PM   #37
EHocking
Philosopher

Yeah well my pedants joke about hippos only being the 3rd biggest killer vs the the most deadly was lost as well.

Even my point about mosquitoes seems to have not been read either, as there were a number of subsequent posts to mine that were basically “mosquitoes, Gotcha!”.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 04:03 PM   #38
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Up close petting a rhino. What could possibly go wrong.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 04:05 PM   #39
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Whip View Post
but 'white males' are the devil. well, at least that's the latest rage.
Yeah, the latest rage for white males with a crippling persecution complex.

"I'm being oppressed, woe is me!"

Lol
Old 3rd January 2019, 04:08 PM   #40
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by TheGnome View Post
ALGOL 68? Fortran 90? Haskell?

At least according to Wikipedia
Thanks - I did not know that.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events