ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 3rd January 2019, 04:23 PM   #41
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Because we just know that some racists are gonna race, it should be pointed out that this was a white rhino.
Well it would have to be; all the black rhinos have been shot.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 07:05 PM   #42
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Well it would have to be; all the black rhinos have been shot.
... in the back,... by cops

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 07:07 PM   #43
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

This was supposed to be a lighthearted thread about a toddler being stamped into a thin red paste, but you guys just had to go and ruin the mood. For shame!
Old 3rd January 2019, 07:29 PM   #44
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
This was supposed to be a lighthearted thread about a toddler being stamped into a thin red paste, but you guys just had to go and ruin the mood. For shame!
Hey, but we've established that a bunch of nitpickers didn't know one of the ways to express "not equal/not equal to".

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 11:25 PM   #45
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Hey, but we've established that a bunch of nitpickers didn't know one of the ways to express "not equal/not equal to".
And that biggest doesn’t mean most.
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 11:40 PM   #46
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

And they missed <> shame, shame, shame...
Old 4th January 2019, 01:40 AM   #47
Castro
Muse

Originally Posted by TheGnome View Post
ALGOL 68? Fortran 90? Haskell?

At least according to Wikipedia
Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Thanks - I did not know that.
Me neither. Thanks TheGnome.
Castro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 02:24 AM   #48
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
This is journalism sensational hype.
No, it's OP hype

Quote:
This is a two year old toddler who should have been held back by her parents.
The article, as you state yourself, says she was being held by her father at all times.

Quote:
She had to wedge her way through the bars.
Untrue, the article states that she stumbled and fell between the bars.

Quote:
The father kept hold of her the whole time. She got "bumped" by the snout of one rhino. She suffered a mild abrasion to her face.

A kid would suffer more injury and risk by tripping on a lego brick and faceplanting on the carpet.
Well she might have had more potential injury, but the actual injury was pretty minor, yes.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 02:25 AM   #49
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Notwithstanding the former member who would probably argue that the parents were trying to murder their kid, this seems like a perfect storm of stupidity.

Who thought, "I know, we'll build a rhino enclosure for the Get Up Close to the Terrifying Beasts area and leave spaces in the fence that a toddler can get through" was a good idea?

I realize most people have never been out in the Umfolozi but the first thing Ranger Gary told us, and he repeated often, was "they're instinctively territorial and will charge anything or any creature that crosses their arbitrary boundaries". Those boundaries change depending on various factors, and I'd imagine that at a zoo "enclosure I go to often" is probably a line of demarcation.

Who let's their toddler out of their arms around great hulking mindless brutes (people or animals - I would neither let my toddler down in the All Blacks scrum nor in a crash of rhinos)?

Very fortunate that the tyke isn't dead.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/01/01/u...zoo/index.html
Did you actually read the article you posted?

I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 11:45 PM   #50
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Did you actually read the article you posted?
Well, yes. Do you have a point you wish to make or are you taking a survey?

Old 5th January 2019, 02:04 AM   #51
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Untrue, the article states that she stumbled and fell between the bars.
They changed the article. It originally said "At some point during the experience, the toddler wedged through the posts and got into the rhinos' yard, said Andrea Hill, the zoo's marketing and communications director."

In the video in the article the reporter still says "she managed to wedge through the steel posts".
Heaven forbid someone reads these words and claims to be adversely affected by them, thus ensuring a barrage of lawsuits filed under the guise of protecting the unknowing victims who were stupid enough to read this and believe it! - Kevin Trudeau
DevilsAdvocate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 02:04 AM   #52
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

My wife and I stayed overnight at the Werribee Zoo (in the other, better, Melbourne) and part of the deal was a close up and friendly with rhinos. I reckon a toddler could have managed to get through the fence. No children were allowed on this event.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 08:24 PM   #53
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Well, yes. Do you have a point you wish to make or are you taking a survey?
Deleted after seeing DevilsAdvocate's post, seems that the article was edited without noting it, so this explains the difference in the OP and the article.

Last edited by PhantomWolf; 5th January 2019 at 08:27 PM.
Old 5th January 2019, 08:34 PM   #54
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I've seen the video footage. It went something like this:

TODDLER'S FATHER (CHAD): La, la, la, I am enjoying this alcoholic beverage too much to pay attention to my child!
TODDLER'S MOTHER (TYFFANI-SHERYSE): Hee, hee, me also! Why attend children when we can ignore them instead!
RHINOCEROUS (KEVIN): Garrrgh! I thirst for the blood of the human children!
TODDLER (HORATIO): Alas! I am caught upon these bars!
CHAD: Does Poopsikins want to say hello to the whinoceros?
TYFFANI-SHERYSE: Here, honey, let me push you through the bars!
KEVIN: My insatiable blood thirst consumes me! Give unto me the child!
HORATIO: No, beloved parents, this course of action is unwise!
CHAD: Blood for the rhinocerous!
TYFFANI-SHERYSE: I voted for Obama!
KEVIN: Yaaaargh!!!!
HORATIO: Woe is me!
[grisly stamping sounds, punctuated by toddler screams and drunken laughter]
CHAD: I hope nobody on the internet finds out about this!
Old 5th January 2019, 08:51 PM   #55
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Deleted after seeing DevilsAdvocate's post, seems that the article was edited without noting it, so this explains the difference in the OP and the article.
The editing of the article doesn't change my editorializing one iota. There is no doubt that the design allowed to the toddler to get through. There is some doubt as to whether dad was holding onto her as originally claimed, or not, but if he had a grip on her jacket or hand, he certainly wasn't "holding her" which is quite different from "holding onto". 'Cuz the original reports also said she "fell through" the barrier which is kinda impossible if you're holding(carrying) her, unless you dropped her.

One local article, since removed, included a blurb from the Zoo's promo material (the zoo's website has been down for two days) saying that it was an attraction for kids 3 and over. Maybe they did realize it wasn't toddler friendly?

I'll take any comments from the zoo's PR department with a grain of salt. The OP stands with either version of the story. Stupid Parents + Stupid Zoo Design.

Old 5th January 2019, 09:00 PM   #56
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The toddler needs to be arrested for trespassing - the rhino was clearly just stomping its ground.
Old 7th January 2019, 05:07 PM   #57
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I've seen the video footage. It went something like this:

TODDLER'S FATHER (CHAD): La, la, la, I am enjoying this alcoholic beverage too much to pay attention to my child!
TODDLER'S MOTHER (TYFFANI-SHERYSE): Hee, hee, me also! Why attend children when we can ignore them instead!
RHINOCEROUS (KEVIN): Garrrgh! I thirst for the blood of the human children!
TODDLER (HORATIO): Alas! I am caught upon these bars!
CHAD: Does Poopsikins want to say hello to the whinoceros?
TYFFANI-SHERYSE: Here, honey, let me push you through the bars!
KEVIN: My insatiable blood thirst consumes me! Give unto me the child!
HORATIO: No, beloved parents, this course of action is unwise!
CHAD: Blood for the rhinocerous!
TYFFANI-SHERYSE: I voted for Obama!
KEVIN: Yaaaargh!!!!
HORATIO: Woe is me!
[grisly stamping sounds, punctuated by toddler screams and drunken laughter]
CHAD: I hope nobody on the internet finds out about this!
Correction: the toddler's name was ABCDE not Horatio, silly.
Old 14th January 2019, 11:40 AM   #58
CORed
Philosopher

I think I saw a recent ranking of all creatures.

1. Man
2. Mosquito
3. Tse Tse Fly
4. Saltwater Croc
and then a whole bunch of amphibians, fish and reptiles five through nine and the Cape Buffalo was #10. No hippos, no rhinos. I think the latter can be explained by there being so few rhinos left. I'd imagine that while there are plenty of hippos, their habitat is much more limited now, too.

Oh, and you have to split "dogs" into two categories.... rabid and not. It's not the dog that kills, it's the rabies, so they count them as "disease deaths". Dogs would be waaaay up there near mosquitos if you counted rabies deaths which are astonishingly high, like 50 x that of crocodiles.
For the sake of consistency, if you're going to count mosquitoes, you should count rabid dogs. After all, it's not the mosquito bite that actually kills you, it's the disease organisms the mosquito transmits. The same is true for the tsetse fly. If you count those deaths against the insects, you should count the rabies deaths against dogs.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2019, 02:27 PM   #59
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Because we just know that some racists are gonna race, it should be pointed out that this was a white rhino.
Minor piece of trivia. It's commonly said that the names "white rhino" and "black rhino" don't refer to colouration. A member of the white rhino breeding team at Western Plains Zoo in Dubbo once explained to me that "white rhino" is actually a corruption of "wide-mouthed rhino". The "black" rhino is simply the species that has a narrow mouth.

Wikipedia refers to this claim as "widely discredited" so there you go.
Old 14th January 2019, 03:21 PM   #60
baron

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Minor piece of trivia. It's commonly said that the names "white rhino" and "black rhino" don't refer to colouration. A member of the white rhino breeding team at Western Plains Zoo in Dubbo once explained to me that "white rhino" is actually a corruption of "wide-mouthed rhino". The "black" rhino is simply the species that has a narrow mouth.
It's a racist thing, invented by wide-mouthed supremacists.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2019, 11:22 PM   #61
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Updated.

Apparently we're back to "fell through the bars", but they're still quoting handlers as saying that the parents were very attentive and holding onto her.
Yeah, except when they let go and she fell through the bars to the enclosure. It's also not clear from the article if that's a new quote or from the original news articles.

Interesting is that the family were friends of one of the handlers. Maybe that's how they got a two-year-old admitted to an attraction for "three and up"?

They also report that the space between the bars at that point is eight (not eleven) inches. Eight inches is certainly enough for a toddler to get through (obviously).

The most significant part of the update, though, is that the little girl got some serious bashing. I have no doubt that it was merely nudging but "nudging" to a rhinoceros and "nudging" to a ten kilo toddler are quite different things.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/01/31/u...red-rhino-zoo/

Old 5th February 2019, 06:09 AM   #62
Drewbot
Philosopher

Hippos kill the more than the Big 5 African animals (Lions, Leopards, Rhinos, Elephants, Cape Buffalo)

This is because there are areas where river crossings are not done by bridge or boat, laundry is still done in the river, bathing takes place in the rivers, and of course playing takes place in the river.

Crocodiles would probably be higher on the list, but many crocodile attacks are not reported as crocodile attacks. A Nile Crocodile will take a person, and wedge them under a tree limb to soften for a few days before eating them.
Deaths by crocodile often are reported as a missing person. The only ones reported are the ones with witnesses.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2019, 12:01 PM   #63
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Hippos kill the more than the Big 5 African animals (Lions, Leopards, Rhinos, Elephants, Cape Buffalo)

This is because there are areas where river crossings are not done by bridge or boat, laundry is still done in the river, bathing takes place in the rivers, and of course playing takes place in the river.

Crocodiles would probably be higher on the list, but many crocodile attacks are not reported as crocodile attacks. A Nile Crocodile will take a person, and wedge them under a tree limb to soften for a few days before eating them.
Deaths by crocodile often are reported as a missing person. The only ones reported are the ones with witnesses.
I think I'm gonna pass on scheduling a fly fishing trip to Africa. Fly fishing necessarily involves wading in rivers. With hippos and crocodiles inhabiting rivers, fly fishing seems like a bad idea. So does doing your laundry or bathing in the river, but I guess the locals really don't have any alternatives.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2019, 12:12 PM   #64
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

The tragedy here is that the rhino was deprived of his rightful prey. To preserve karmic balance and zoological order a toddler must be fed to the rhino.
Old 9th February 2019, 09:25 AM   #65
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
I think I'm gonna pass on scheduling a fly fishing trip to Africa. Fly fishing necessarily involves wading in rivers. With hippos and crocodiles inhabiting rivers, fly fishing seems like a bad idea. So does doing your laundry or bathing in the river, but I guess the locals really don't have any alternatives.
Face it, megafauna wouldn't be my main concern.

Guinea Worm and Schistosomiasis, however are horrible, and slow.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2019, 09:30 AM   #66
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Face it, megafauna wouldn't be my main concern.

Guinea Worm and Schistosomiasis, however are horrible, and slow.
Although, of course, the Carter Foundation has almost eradicated Guinea Worm, and with very simple techniques.

A president who has achieved far more since leaving office than in office.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events