ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 15th January 2019, 01:43 PM   #1
Information Analyst
Philosopher

New Gillette advert enrages subset of customer base

BBC News: Gillette faces backlash and boycott over '#MeToo advert'

"A Gillette advert which references bullying, the #MeToo movement and toxic masculinity has split opinion online.

The razor company's short film, called Believe, plays on their famous slogan "The best a man can get", replacing it with "The best men can be".

The company says it wants men to hold each other "accountable".

Some have praised the message of the advert, which aims to update the company's 30-year-old tagline, but others say Gillette is "dead" to them.

The ad has been watched more than 2 million times on YouTube in 48 hours.

It currently has 23,000 likes and 214,000 dislikes, at time of writing - and that's increasing all the time.

Comments on the video are largely negative, with viewers saying they will never buy Gillette products again or that the advert was "feminist propaganda".

"In less than two minutes you managed to alienate your biggest sales group for your products. Well done," wrote one angry viewer."

One would think that razor users would chose their product on the basis of effectiveness, not ideology, but there you go...

Potential conflicts of interest: None - I use an electric shaver.

Last edited by Information Analyst; 15th January 2019 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Worked out how to do it myself. Yay!
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2019, 01:44 PM   #2
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Pretty dumb tbf
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2019, 02:02 PM   #3
Cain
Straussian

The people complaining are like the feminists they criticize: casting themselves as victims.

One of the up-voted commenters complains that the ad's saying all men are violent rapists. What the ****?

Is it true that men tend to be more violent than (say) women? Yes.
Is it true that the vast majority of rapes are committed by men? Yes.

Is it true the vast majority of men will never rape or violently attack anyone? Yes. So their customer base should be fine.

The ad's saying that when boys are punching each other, tell them to stop. Street harassment is not OK. In a meeting, be aware that it's presumptuous to explain what a woman's "really" trying to say.

Get a ******* grip.
Old 15th January 2019, 02:07 PM   #4
Diablo
Muse

Maybe they're going the route of 'there ain't no such thing as bad publicity'.
Diablo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2019, 02:12 PM   #5
Stankeye
Thinker

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
The people complaining are like the feminists they criticize: casting themselves as victims.

One of the up-voted commenters complains that the ad's saying all men are violent rapists. What the ****?

Is it true the vast majority of men will never rape or violently attack anyone? Yes. So their customer base should be fine.

The ad's saying that when boys are punching each other, tell them to stop. Street harassment is not OK. In a meeting, be aware that it's presumptuous to explain what a woman's "really" trying to say.

Get a ******* grip.
Of course. Everyone misses church sermons so why not do them via adverts?
Stankeye is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2019, 02:18 PM   #6
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

It's for a new Gillette line: Razor For Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very Sensitive Skin.
Old 15th January 2019, 02:19 PM   #7
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by Stankeye View Post
Of course. Everyone misses church sermons so why not do them via adverts?
Companies have gone with aspirational branding for decades. It takes a special kind of insecurity to complain about wanting to be better.

Typical razor commercials have a guy who is 90% jaw, an insanely muscular physique (with nipples that can cut glass). I have no idea what the **** that has to do with shaving (unless they're trying to get you to shave your chest). But telling us to be more considerate of others -- that's a bridge too far. What a bunch of ********.
Old 15th January 2019, 02:21 PM   #8
Diablo
Muse

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
It's for a new Gillette line: Razor For Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very, Very Sensitive Skin.
You're 2 Very's short
Diablo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2019, 02:27 PM   #9
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Get a ******* grip.
Is it true that a we don't need a global razor company being preachy? Yes

Is it true that the ad was always go to offend a majority of dudes? Yes

It was always going to get people in a lather ......

It cuts deep ........

The ads a blunt instrument .............

Think it will turn out alright for them, but it was a close shave.........

Boomtish!!! (My DVD of greatest hits is available)
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2019, 02:30 PM   #10
plague311
Great minds think...

Companies have gone with aspirational branding for decades. It takes a special kind of insecurity to complain about wanting to be better.

Typical razor commercials have a guy who is 90% jaw, an insanely muscular physique (with nipples that can cut glass). I have no idea what the **** that has to do with shaving (unless they're trying to get you to shave your chest). But telling us to be more considerate of others -- that's a bridge too far. What a bunch of ********.
I couldn't agree more.

Nonetheless, comparing a 20-30 clip to a church sermon is ridiculous. If you don't like it just don't watch it.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2019, 02:34 PM   #11
phunk
Illuminator

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Is it true that the ad was always go to offend a majority of dudes? Yes
Is that true though? It's the internet we're talking about, 1% can be loud and whiny but that doesn't make it a majority.
phunk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2019, 02:34 PM   #12
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

I always look to the marketing departments of large personal care products corporations for moral guidance.
Old 15th January 2019, 02:35 PM   #13
Mumbles
Philosopher

Just like Nike's Colin Kaepernick ad, these folks know their audience - this is designed to appeal to a specific group (it's women that buy these household items disproportionally, remember, and I've seen plenty say that they're buying Gillette from here on out - as well as quite a few men), and to enrage another group that they don't care for. If you see a few shots of guys being jerks - and then a bunch of guys breaking up fights, taking care of their daughters, and the notably effeminate *checks commercial* Terry Crews testifying in congress, and your reaction is sputtering anger...well they say when you throw a rock into a kennel, the dog that hollers is the one that got hit. We've seen these freakouts with Nike and Keurig, didn't amount to much either time.
Why should it be different this time?

And just like the Nike ads, these are still ads - won't change their actual business practices in any way shape or form.

Me? I'll stick to the double-edge razor, those 12-blade contraptions give me razor bumps. And yeah, electric if I don't have time for that.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2019, 02:43 PM   #14
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Just like Nike's Colin Kaepernick ad, these folks know their audience - this is designed to appeal to a specific group (it's women that buy these household items disproportionally, remember, and I've seen plenty say that they're buying Gillette from here on out - as well as quite a few men), and to enrage another group that they don't care for. If you see a few shots of guys being jerks - and then a bunch of guys breaking up fights, taking care of their daughters, and the notably effeminate *checks commercial* Terry Crews testifying in congress, and your reaction is sputtering anger...well they say when you throw a rock into a kennel, the dog that hollers is the one that got hit. We've seen these freakouts with Nike and Keurig, didn't amount to much either time.
Why should it be different this time?

And just like the Nike ads, these are still ads - won't change their actual business practices in any way shape or form.

Me? I'll stick to the double-edge razor, those 12-blade contraptions give me razor bumps. And yeah, electric if I don't have time for that.
The original Mach III is the only razor I have ever used in my life that does not do bad things. I can't even use the next generation Mach IIIs - they hurt me.

Before the Mach III came out, I described myself as shaving impaired. I couldn't shave without major blood (my wife still laughs at how I cut my ear shaving....). Since the Mach III? All is good.
Old 15th January 2019, 02:44 PM   #15
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
The original Mach III is the only razor I have ever used in my life that does not do bad things. I can't even use the next generation Mach IIIs - they hurt me.

Before the Mach III came out, I described myself as shaving impaired. I couldn't shave without major blood (my wife still laughs at how I cut my ear shaving....). Since the Mach III? All is good.
Same as me pretty much.

Help going from foam to gel as well tbf

Old 15th January 2019, 02:56 PM   #16
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

I get an entire month out of 1 Gillette Fusion. $30 for a 12 pack on Amazon for a year. I don't exactly like it when huge conglomerate for-profit manufacturers try to make it look like they care about <insert social issue>. OTOH I don't really care.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2019, 02:59 PM   #17
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

...well they say when you throw a rock into a kennel, the dog that hollers is the one that got hit.
Hahahaha! Have never heard that one before. Love it! I will say, however, that around here there are often dogs (especially big ones) which will angrily bark at their own echo.

Quote:
This is a bullseye. I was just watching yesterday a Many Peters Youtube video with his wife on just this topic; this is all engineered precisely to generate some real or imagined controversy all including a phony non-apology simply to get more money.

It's all about the bucks, after all.
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2019, 03:03 PM   #18
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

The manliest men wouldn't be shaving anyway, they'd be growing beards lush and rampant.
Old 15th January 2019, 03:12 PM   #19
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Annoying privileged man-children on the Internet? Priceless.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2019, 03:19 PM   #20
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
I couldn't agree more.

Nonetheless, comparing a 20-30 clip to a church sermon is ridiculous. If you don't like it just don't watch it.
How will I know if I don't like it if don't watch it?
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2019, 03:24 PM   #21
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
Here's a working link to the BBC story.

https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-46874617

on edit - apparently youtube has had a "dislike" button for like 9 years and I have never noticed.
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2019, 03:24 PM   #22
Elagabalus
Illuminator

... And yeah, electric if I don't have time for that.
Only for the hardest of men ...

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Goto 4:47 (I can't do it for you!)
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2019, 03:25 PM   #23
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Women shave about eight times the area anyhow. Who needs men?
Old 15th January 2019, 03:31 PM   #24
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
I always look to the marketing departments of large personal care products corporations for moral guidance.

Ya, Gillette - leading the fight against the masculine male, champions in the fight against misogyny.......

Gillette razors for women

Gillette's women's razors are not only sexist but they're also more expensive than the male versions. Nice going Gillette!
Old 15th January 2019, 03:38 PM   #25
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

The manliest men wouldn't be shaving anyway, they'd be growing beards lush and rampant.
I'm so manly I just have to look at my stubble in the mirror and it just falls off in awe and fear.

Old 15th January 2019, 03:38 PM   #26
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Ya, Gillette - leading the fight against the masculine male, champions in the fight against misogyny.......

Gillette razors for women

Gillette's women's razors are not only sexist but they're also more expensive than the male versions. Nice going Gillette!
Why does market differentiation equate to misogyny? Your own link has an 18 pack for $12 BTW. Thats cheaper than men's razors.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2019, 03:38 PM   #27
baron
Philosopher

Get a ******* grip.
Have people lost their mind? It's an advert for a ******* razor!!!
Old 15th January 2019, 03:40 PM   #28
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Women shave about eight times the area anyhow. Who needs men?
Only because of un-endurable societal pressure. hammered down on them by the evil patriachy

Old 15th January 2019, 03:49 PM   #29
Information Analyst
Philosopher

All hipsters must die!
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2019, 03:50 PM   #30
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Here's a working link to the BBC story.

https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-46874617
Bah...!
Old 15th January 2019, 04:07 PM   #31
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

The push toward "manliness" is cutting directly into their bottom line. If guys grow and keep beards, they won't use razors as much. Oh, and if they can convince guys to shave other body parts, more sales!!!

Razors and toothbrushes are big business -- I'm often surprised at how much advertising goes into those products. I've never liked anything but the Gillette Atra for years -- simply two blades that do the job.
Old 15th January 2019, 04:51 PM   #32
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Only because of un-endurable societal pressure. hammered down on them by the evil patriachy
I mean Gillette did come up with the disposable razor, and then an ad campaign in the early 20th century that was basically underarm hair is gross.

https://www.bustle.com/articles/1370...airless-photos
Old 15th January 2019, 05:04 PM   #33
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

Hm, I thought it was a nice ad.

Don't see what the fuss is about. Showing men standing up to sexual assault and bullying is a negative?

Mmmkay. I mean it's a little tacky to try and sell razors by latching on to the MeToo thing, but I don't think that's what the fuss is about.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2019, 06:06 PM   #34
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
I get an entire month out of 1 Gillette Fusion. $30 for a 12 pack on Amazon for a year. I don't exactly like it when huge conglomerate for-profit manufacturers try to make it look like they care about <insert social issue>. OTOH I don't really care.
Actually organisations have been discussing social issues for years. This is one example of what I mean. In Australia we had a SSM debate and several organisations let their views be known. Or an organisation runs an ad that displays stereotypical role models. All shape society.

Organisations are part of society. They should influence what goes on in society. Hopefully for the better.

In short I believe that the Gillette ad is good in that it is promoting a good role model for men. Those that do not like the ad are in danger of supporting poor role models.

Comment on YouTube I agree with
Quote:
Travis Betts
How dare a company ask people to be decent human beings
Edit. I said above "They should influence..." Would also be true if I said "They do influence..."

Edit2

Another example of an organisation attempting to chance society. I guess they succeeded.
Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
I mean Gillette did come up with the disposable razor, and then an ad campaign in the early 20th century that was basically underarm hair is gross.

https://www.bustle.com/articles/1370...airless-photos

Last edited by rjh01; 15th January 2019 at 07:24 PM.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2019, 06:09 PM   #35
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
If Gillette's sponsorship of the New England Patriots hasn't resulted in massive boycotts, I don't think this will either.
Old 15th January 2019, 06:14 PM   #36
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Dollar Shave Club y'all

That is the best men can get at putting the least amount of effort into something trivial
Old 15th January 2019, 06:17 PM   #37
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

I like the ad and I've spent the last 24 hours screaming at anyone I find on social media that has issues with it. I unapologetically call them rapists until they block me. Because, seriously, if you have an issue with this advert you are a freaking rapist and no one will ever talk me out of that stance.
Old 15th January 2019, 06:26 PM   #38
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I like the ad and I've spent the last 24 hours screaming at anyone I find on social media that has issues with it. I unapologetically call them rapists until they block me. Because, seriously, if you have an issue with this advert you are a freaking rapist and no one will ever talk me out of that stance.
Ah, the soothing calm of a perfectly reasonable reaction. *Nods encouragingly, while backing out of the room*
Old 15th January 2019, 06:26 PM   #39
plague311
Great minds think...

Seems reasonable.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2019, 07:02 PM   #40
Stout
Illuminator

Wow, that's just woke AF
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events