ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 15th January 2019, 07:12 PM   #41
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Here's a working link to the BBC story.

https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-46874617
Thanks.
Old 15th January 2019, 07:19 PM   #42
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
I mean Gillette did come up with the disposable razor, and then an ad campaign in the early 20th century that was basically underarm hair is gross.

https://www.bustle.com/articles/1370...airless-photos
Fascinating link.
Old 15th January 2019, 07:56 PM   #43
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I like the ad and I've spent the last 24 hours screaming at anyone I find on social media that has issues with it. I unapologetically call them rapists until they block me. Because, seriously, if you have an issue with this advert you are a freaking rapist and no one will ever talk me out of that stance.
I think it is tedious, pointless and preachy.

I must be a rapist
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2019, 08:05 PM   #44
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
I'm so manly I just have to look at my stubble in the mirror and it just falls off in awe and fear.
Sure Chuck. Sure!
Old 15th January 2019, 08:36 PM   #45
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

I think it is tedious, pointless and preachy.

I must be a rapist
No, but it makes you surprisingly sensitive for such a masculine guy.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2019, 09:16 PM   #46
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Gillette's women's razors are not only sexist but they're also more expensive than the male versions. Nice going Gillette!
Women can always buy the "men's" razors. And, as I said, it's still an ad in the end. Nice sentiment in it, but it's made to sell products.

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
The push toward "manliness" is cutting directly into their bottom line. If guys grow and keep beards, they won't use razors as much. Oh, and if they can convince guys to shave other body parts, more sales!!!
You're off. It's as much companies like Harry's, which are very much advertised to...men. This ad is...more woman-friendly than just watching Captain Jawbone shaving, anyway.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2019, 09:21 PM   #47
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
This is a bullseye. I was just watching yesterday a Many Peters Youtube video with his wife on just this topic; this is all engineered precisely to generate some real or imagined controversy all including a phony non-apology simply to get more money.

It's all about the bucks, after all.
I haven't watched him in a good long while, and I'm not quite as cynical as he is - but I do remember him discussing this with that absurd Pepsi ad where people are protesting...nothing at all, and then one of the Jenners gives a soda to a cop and everyone cheers for...no reason. The point about women likely buying more shaving products than men is just intuition - seems to me women are more likely to buy for the men than vice versa, just based on what I know about division of labor.

Really, the people getting angry at the ad are absurd - saw a picture where some fool had thrown his razor (handle and all) into the toilet and posted it online - and the first reply pointed out that it wouldn't flush, so he'd have to get it out of the toilet water somehow.

Last edited by Mumbles; 15th January 2019 at 09:24 PM.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2019, 09:35 PM   #48
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
The point about women likely buying more shaving products than men is just intuition - seems to me women are more likely to buy for the men than vice versa, just based on what I know about division of labor.

But its logical

Men (generally) only shave their faces.
Women (generally) only shave their legs. (yes, I know about other parts they might shave! - let's not go there)

The surface area of two legs is a LOT larger than the surface area of a man's face, so it leads me to the conclusion that women probably wear out shavers considerably quicker than men, ergo, they would buy more for their personal use
Old 15th January 2019, 10:23 PM   #49
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
But its logical

Men (generally) only shave their faces.
Women (generally) only shave their legs. (yes, I know about other parts they might shave! - let's not go there)

The surface area of two legs is a LOT larger than the surface area of a man's face, so it leads me to the conclusion that women probably wear out shavers considerably quicker than men, ergo, they would buy more for their personal use
Except women don't shave their legs every/every other day, and unless they are Robin Williamsette, she is thinner, less hair on the surface error
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2019, 10:43 PM   #50
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
No, but it makes you surprisingly sensitive for such a masculine guy.
Travis just talked about screaming at random people because of an ad, and cullennz is the sensitive one?
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2019, 01:20 AM   #51
ThatGuy11200
Scholar

Why does anyone still buy this overpriced crap? Get a double-edged razor. The blades are about 20 times cheaper.
ThatGuy11200 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2019, 02:04 AM   #52
dann
Philosopher

I like the ad and I've spent the last 24 hours screaming at anyone I find on social media that has issues with it. I unapologetically call them rapists until they block me. Because, seriously, if you have an issue with this advert you are a freaking rapist and no one will ever talk me out of that stance.

I think that you should tell them how Tom-of-Finland-like their preferred razor commercials are!

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Typical razor commercials have a guy who is 90% jaw, an insanely muscular physique (with nipples that can cut glass). I have no idea what the **** that has to do with shaving (unless they're trying to get you to shave your chest).
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2019, 02:07 AM   #53
3point14
Pi

I find this stuff annoyingly patronising.

If a young man's upbringing has turned him into a cock, the marketing department of the people he buys his razors from isn't going to help.

If, however, the person watching it is not a cock and has had a reasonable upbringing, then it's like having stumbled into a remedial class somewhere. Seriously, I'm getting really, really fed up of having to go over this material again cos the ******** haven't got it. Can we separate out the idiots and preach to them separately, because a lot of the rest of us are fed up with the repeated exhortations to not be somebody we're already not.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2019, 02:22 AM   #54
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

I guess while everyone else is playing hurt moron, that means Gillette razors and cream will be going on special and I'll be able to stock up. Go Gillette! I'm 100% behind them and I totally agree. There are a lot of men with sexist attitudes, violence issues, and who have no issues with forcing themselves on women, be it a grope at a bar or club, to demanding sexual favours to remain employed, and the majority of men that aren't doing that sort of thing need to stop standing by when they see it happening, and treating it as a joke.

It's not a joke to talk and laugh about how you'd like to have your female boss under your desk, or to discuss how "tight" a teenage colleague might be, even if you wouldn't actually act on it. I know what guys are like when they are in groups without women around. I have seen it in the workplace, and the sports clubs and the bars, it's not pleasant, and it's up to other men to say no. Turning a blind eye and letting it carry on makes you no better than those doing it, and yes it's hard, I know, I have been there, but even if they turn on you, it's still the right thing to do and telling others no makes you more a man and far stronger then they are for denigrating women.

And yes I understand that there is some stuff that women say and do to guys that isn't right either, but two wrongs don't make a right, and if your best excuse is no better than a 2-year old's come back of "But she did it too!" then you are a pathetic excuse for a man and need to grow up.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2019, 02:26 AM   #55
dann
Philosopher

Destination creator schools Piers Morgan on horror history in Gillette ad-inspired Twitter feud (Entertainment Weekly, Jan. 15, 2018)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2019, 02:28 AM   #56
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
I find this stuff annoyingly patronising.

If a young man's upbringing has turned him into a cock, the marketing department of the people he buys his razors from isn't going to help.

If, however, the person watching it is not a cock and has had a reasonable upbringing, then it's like having stumbled into a remedial class somewhere. Seriously, I'm getting really, really fed up of having to go over this material again cos the ******** haven't got it. Can we separate out the idiots and preach to them separately, because a lot of the rest of us are fed up with the repeated exhortations to not be somebody we're already not.
No, because the "rest of us" need to have a good reminder that it's up to us to tell the cocks that it's not okay. You're right though that it's not the marketing department of the people he buys his razors from's job to try and teach the jerk offs that their behaviour is unacceptable. The problem is that the people whose job it is, yours and mine, have been unwilling to step up and do it, and now when they are being told to get off their arses and fix the issue they are all whining like little babies about how unfair and condescending it all is. Well too bad, you want to stop being condescended to? Stop standing aside and letting the cocks make the rest of Male-kind look bad. Get off your arse and tell them to grow up and stop their bad behaviours.

I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

Last edited by PhantomWolf; 16th January 2019 at 02:31 AM.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2019, 02:37 AM   #57
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
I guess while everyone else is playing hurt moron, that means Gillette razors and cream will be going on special and I'll be able to stock up. Go Gillette! I'm 100% behind them and I totally agree. There are a lot of men with sexist attitudes, violence issues, and who have no issues with forcing themselves on women, be it a grope at a bar or club, to demanding sexual favours to remain employed, and the majority of men that aren't doing that sort of thing need to stop standing by when they see it happening, and treating it as a joke.

It's not a joke to talk and laugh about how you'd like to have your female boss under your desk, or to discuss how "tight" a teenage colleague might be, even if you wouldn't actually act on it. I know what guys are like when they are in groups without women around. I have seen it in the workplace, and the sports clubs and the bars, it's not pleasant, and it's up to other men to say no. Turning a blind eye and letting it carry on makes you no better than those doing it, and yes it's hard, I know, I have been there, but even if they turn on you, it's still the right thing to do and telling others no makes you more a man and far stronger then they are for denigrating women.

And yes I understand that there is some stuff that women say and do to guys that isn't right either, but two wrongs don't make a right, and if your best excuse is no better than a 2-year old's come back of "But she did it too!" then you are a pathetic excuse for a man and need to grow up.
a) Apart from a couple of law firms where we live there are hardly any.

b) The vast vast majority of blokes who see these miniscule amounts of stuff don't "stand by when they see it happening, and treat it as a joke."

Last edited by cullennz; 16th January 2019 at 02:47 AM.
Old 16th January 2019, 03:21 AM   #58
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Really? You know how many women find themselves being felt up in clubs? You know how every boss in NZ treats their female workers?

Quote:
b) The vast vast majority of blokes who see these miniscule amounts of stuff don't "stand by when they see it happening, and treat it as a joke."
Really? Remember Roast-Busters? When was the last time you heard about a guy getting called out in club by another guy for harassing a woman? (How about over one who wasn't his gf?) How about a guy telling another guy to can it when he was cat-calling? Seriously, if you don't think this stuff goes on in NZ, in the clubs, the streets and workplaces, then you are either being willfully blind or you are so incredibly sheltered you never leave your mum's basement.

And yes, in my experience the vast majority of guys DO treat it as a joke, or "well boys will be boys", especially what they consider minor, the "just for fun" stuff, and most of them react in shock and horror that "you can't take a joke" when they are confronted with their behaviour.

Last edited by PhantomWolf; 16th January 2019 at 03:23 AM.
Old 16th January 2019, 03:26 AM   #59
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Pretty dumb tbf
The butt hurt from male boomers has been.
Old 16th January 2019, 03:39 AM   #60
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

I also suggest talking to some women, you might be shocked.

This video is from the UK not NZ

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

But it might give you an idea of what ordinary women have to put up with and why it's up to men to not only change their own behaviours, but to get those men around them to change theirs too. We can all be better men without having to be ******** who think with their fists and only see women as pieces of meat to be used and abused.

And yes, if you are already beyond that line, then congratulations on making it to the extraordinary level of decent human being, what do you want, a medal for understanding and living by acceptable civilised behaviour?

No, it's not enough to just be civilised yourself, as men it's our responsibility to try and educate and drag the Neanderthals among us into the 21st Century where men can be manly without getting ********* on alcohol and starting fights, and beating up your partner, or drunkenly assaulting women.

Old 16th January 2019, 03:53 AM   #61
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Women can always buy the "men's" razors.
Mrs Analyst always has done, and continues to do so, even now that customer pressure has forced parity of prices in most major UK retailers.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2019, 03:59 AM   #62
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
The people complaining are like the feminists they criticize: casting themselves as victims.

One of the up-voted commenters complains that the ad's saying all men are violent rapists. What the ****?

Is it true that men tend to be more violent than (say) women? Yes.
Is it true that the vast majority of rapes are committed by men? Yes.

Is it true the vast majority of men will never rape or violently attack anyone? Yes. So their customer base should be fine.

The ad's saying that when boys are punching each other, tell them to stop. Street harassment is not OK. In a meeting, be aware that it's presumptuous to explain what a woman's "really" trying to say.

Get a ******* grip.
But those are all the most fundamentally manly of things! How can someone be a man with out sexually harassing women? See the thread about people being upset that these things are an issue to psychologists.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2019, 04:05 AM   #63
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Real manly men don't want to be told that bullying is bad!
Real manly men want to gawk at the chiselled features of a male model wearing nothing but a towel!

Listen, I know it's annoying to get lectured, especially when it's just a cynical marketing ploy, and even more especially when you're held responsible for something you don't do, just because you're part of a group.

But is there anything actually wrong with their message?
Bullying, harrassment, sexism and so on are bad, and if we want to lessen their impact, we should speak up.
I disagree with those who say that's my duty as a man, but I would say that it's our duty as human beings. (Don't expect me to get into fistfights with strangers about this though)

Are people getting angry because they don't see anything wrong with the behavior and think their masculinity is under attack, or because they think it's insulting that they're expected to speak up to wrongdoers just because they've got a similar set of genitalia?
Porpoise of Life is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2019, 04:18 AM   #64
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
I disagree with those who say that's my duty as a man, but I would say that it's our duty as human beings. (Don't expect me to get into fistfights with strangers about this though)
No one is expecting you to get in a fist fight over it, in fact that would be exactly the wrong thing when the message is that violence is not appropriate.

However I will disagree with you here. I get where you are coming from when you say that "it's our duty as human beings", but I'm going to point out why this is wrong. Half the population of Human Beings has been trying to tell men this message for decades, and those that need to hear and have the message driven into their skulls will not listen to them because when they feel so entitled that they can beat on, harass, sexually assault, and act in otherwise demeaning and sexist manners towards women, then they certainly far too entitled to ever listen to a "mere woman."

They might be willing to listen to a man, especially one they respect, so yes it is up to men to change the behaviours of those among us that are ******** to women. And also the ones that are ******** to men, because we are the ones they might actually listen too.

It's also on us to behave in the right ways, and to make sure that we are not being ********, because our sons are watching us, and it is from us that they will learn what is right and wrong, and how to be a real man without falling into the toxic behaviours that are both self destructive and also destructive to others. And that is not something that women can do for them.

Last edited by PhantomWolf; 16th January 2019 at 04:21 AM.
Old 16th January 2019, 04:19 AM   #65
3point14
Pi

No, because the "rest of us" need to have a good reminder that it's up to us to tell the cocks that it's not okay.

This is not my experience.

Quote:
You're right though that it's not the marketing department of the people he buys his razors from's job to try and teach the jerk offs that their behaviour is unacceptable. The problem is that the people whose job it is, yours and mine, have been unwilling to step up and do it,

Quote:
and now when they are being told to get off their arses and fix the issue they are all whining like little babies about how unfair and condescending it all is.
This makes a number of inaccurate assumptions. You seem to think that I, and others, are going about our days deliberately ignoring things Gillette think we shouldn't. I can tell you that that's not true at all. I don't recognise the world you describe.

Quote:
Well too bad, you want to stop being condescended to? Stop standing aside and letting the cocks make the rest of Male-kind look bad.
With the greatest of respect, **** you. You don't know enough to accuse me of such inaction. You know nothing about me. Don't insult me like that.

Quote:
Get off your arse and tell them to grow up and stop their bad behaviours.
Been there, done that, still collecting tshirts. Your comments are, and I'm being very, very charitable here, inaccurate with respect to myself and those I associate with.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2019, 04:21 AM   #66
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Really? You know how many women find themselves being felt up in clubs? You know how every boss in NZ treats their female workers?

Really? Remember Roast-Busters? When was the last time you heard about a guy getting called out in club by another guy for harassing a woman? (How about over one who wasn't his gf?) How about a guy telling another guy to can it when he was cat-calling? Seriously, if you don't think this stuff goes on in NZ, in the clubs, the streets and workplaces, then you are either being willfully blind or you are so incredibly sheltered you never leave your mum's basement.

And yes, in my experience the vast majority of guys DO treat it as a joke, or "well boys will be boys", especially what they consider minor, the "just for fun" stuff, and most of them react in shock and horror that "you can't take a joke" when they are confronted with their behaviour.
Yes

And the roast busters were a few teenagers not bosses

Old 16th January 2019, 04:22 AM   #67
3point14
Pi

You're in dire need of a new social group.

Old 16th January 2019, 04:28 AM   #68
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Well good for you, do you want a medal?

Quote:
Congratulation is you do stand up when you see it, you made it to the level of basic human decency.

Quote:
This makes a number of inaccurate assumptions. You seem to think that I, and others, are going about our days deliberately ignoring things Gillette think we shouldn't. I can tell you that that's not true at all. I don't recognise the world you describe.
If you don't recogcise it then either you live in an amazingly enlightened part of the world (I seriously doubt it) to you need to open your eyes and ask a few of the women you know about their experiences with harassment.

Quote:
With the greatest of respect, **** you. You don't know enough to accuse me of such inaction. You know nothing about me. Don't insult me like that.
Your reaction by itself speaks volumes.

Quote:
Been there, done that, still collecting tshirts. Your comments are, and I'm being very, very charitable here, inaccurate with respect to myself and those I associate with.
Well, well done you of making it beyond the stage of Homo Erectus, do you want a cookie for being a decent human being?

Old 16th January 2019, 04:30 AM   #69
baron

I see their YouTube ad is doing well. 229K likes vs 598K dislikes.

Who would have thought that an ad for razors which does nothing but equate men with rapists would no be an instant success?
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2019, 04:31 AM   #70
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

You're in dire need of a new social group.
Or you need to open your eyes. It has nothing to do with my "social groups."

I have see it from work mates who range from blue collar to white collar workers. I have see in in most sports teams (both rugby and cricket) I have been associated with, even from fellow rugby referees when I was doing that. I have even heard and seen it from police officers that I have worked with. My social group range is pretty vast, and so are the behaviours.

Old 16th January 2019, 04:32 AM   #71
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by baron View Post
I see their YouTube ad is doing well. 229K likes vs 598K dislikes.

Who would have thought that an ad for razors which does nothing but equate men with rapists would no be an instant success?
Not that the ad actually did equate men to rapists, and nor was it an ad for razors, but is it a fact that most rapists are men? Like 95%+ of them?

Last edited by PhantomWolf; 16th January 2019 at 04:33 AM.
Old 16th January 2019, 04:32 AM   #72
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Well good for you, do you want a medal?

Congratulation is you do stand up when you see it, you made it to the level of basic human decency.

If you don't recogcise it then either you live in an amazingly enlightened part of the world (I seriously doubt it) to you need to open your eyes and ask a few of the women you know about their experiences with harassment.

Your reaction by itself speaks volumes.

Well, well done you of making it beyond the stage of Homo Erectus, do you want a cookie for being a decent human being?
You have made some extremely broad accusations of what "is real" in NZ Phantom

A bit of evidence other than roast busters is kind of wanting

Old 16th January 2019, 04:38 AM   #73
baron

Not that the ad actually did equate men to rapists, but is it a fact that most rapists are men? Like 95%+ of them?
It is. But so what, it's an advert for razors FFS! Mothers are about 250% more likely to kill their children than fathers; maybe that can be worked into the next tampon ad.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2019, 04:39 AM   #74
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

You have made some extremely broad accusations of what "is real" in NZ Phantom

A bit of evidence other than roast busters is kind of wanting
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/ind...les-since-2015

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/107...zealand-police

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-z...rk-survey.html

https://healthcentral.nz/young-femal...and-hospitals/

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-...-harassment-v1

Yeah, just a few teens, nothing to worry about, and this is just the stuff that is big enough to get official complaints!

Old 16th January 2019, 04:42 AM   #75
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by baron View Post
It is. But so what, it's an advert for razors FFS! Mothers are about 250% more likely to kill their children than fathers; maybe that can be worked into the next tampon ad.
You haven't watched the ad have you? If you had, you'd know that it's not an ad for razors.

And nice Tu quoque fallacy there.

Old 16th January 2019, 05:02 AM   #76
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dann View Post
I almost forgot about Piers Morgan's meltdown over the ad. That's another benefit.
Old 16th January 2019, 05:10 AM   #77
Worm
Master Poster

If Piers Morgan is annoyed - it's probably a good idea.

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2019, 05:21 AM   #78
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Worm View Post
If Piers Morgan is annoyed - it's probably a good idea.
And the prize for most triggered snowflake on Twitter goes to Pier....ohhh...wait...

Jesus! Way to give up the sane high ground, Travster!
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2019, 05:23 AM   #79
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
BBC News: Gillette faces backlash and boycott over '#MeToo advert'

"A Gillette advert which references bullying, the #MeToo movement and toxic masculinity has split opinion online.

The razor company's short film, called Believe, plays on their famous slogan "The best a man can get", replacing it with "The best men can be".

The company says it wants men to hold each other "accountable".
Laudable aims but A) not great for a razor company and B) at some point, too much of this well-meaning stuff will just create a backlash, if it isn't already the case.

Anyway, I'll stick with my Philips.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2019, 05:26 AM   #80
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Jesus! Way to give up the sane high ground, Travster!
You’re only noticing now?
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events