ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 16th January 2019, 06:28 PM   #241
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
That book was written about 5 years after this event, so . . . no. As for her husband, I pulled the plug before I approached her so he never got the chance to wake up!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6_G0BCs-Fo
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2019, 06:30 PM   #242
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
Do you know where I can find extra-large condoms?
For extra large dickheads?

"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2019, 06:34 PM   #243
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
My comment about the kids fighting, though, is 'let kids solve their own disputes without parental interference' is the healthy thing to do unless one needs to intervene to prevent injuries.
The problem with that is that once kids are in the dirt trading punches or choking each other, whatever dispute got them there isn't going to get "resolved" by the outcome of the fight.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2019, 06:35 PM   #244
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
I have no idea either way on this, but what's the conversational "in" with a woman at the store?
"That's a lovely pair of melons you have there luv'.... Worth a squeeze?......Woof!"

Something tasteful like that.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2019, 06:37 PM   #245
xjx388
Philosopher

I have no idea either way on this, but what's the conversational "in" with a woman at the store?
"Uh, excuse me . . . yo girl, you are so hot!" Oh wait, you want the non-creepy one. . .

There are a lot of "ins" depending on the context. You can ask for help picking something out and see if anything develops. But see, I can also recognize that some guys are just way too aggressive and don't know how NOT to get pushy because things don't develop. Just approach, ask and if nothing happens, nothing happens -walk away. It used to work ok for me because I was content to drop it if she didn't continue the conversation.

I mean seriously though . . . how do people meet each other if it's creepy to approach strangers? Granted, I was married at 19, 30 years now, so it's been a long while since I've had to worry about it so I'm out of touch.
Old 16th January 2019, 06:41 PM   #246
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

He's really not.

It's the "boycott Gillette!" freakout crew that's highly likely to have a lot of paleolithic woman-haters among their ranks.

Gillette's probably run the math and decided those people are too small in numbers to worry about, since people (like you) who are merely annoyed by the ad won't change their/your purchasing behavior as a result of it, and it might win some brand loyalty converts among women and those who see themselves as male feminists.
Most of those sorts are neckbeards, anyway. Do they shave that fuzz? I thought it was a membership requirement in the IGGWAWTSMU (I'm a great guy why aren't women willing to sex me up?) crowd.

The usual array of anti-progressives. Poor stooges waited their entire lives to get past puberty, then drivers license age, then voting age, then drinking age... because at some point the fact that they were MEN was gonna get 'em some nookie, finally. And yet, it never happened, so they whine about it because all great movements have been commandeered by whiners. I fondly recall Martin Luther's seventh point...... "Besides, the Pope's a big meanie!"

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2019, 06:44 PM   #247
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
The problem with that is that once kids are in the dirt trading punches or choking each other, whatever dispute got them there isn't going to get "resolved" by the outcome of the fight.
It just didn't look that way in the ad.

IMO of course.
Old 16th January 2019, 06:47 PM   #248
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

"Uh, excuse me . . . yo girl, you are so hot!" Oh wait, you want the non-creepy one. . .

There are a lot of "ins" depending on the context. You can ask for help picking something out and see if anything develops. But see, I can also recognize that some guys are just way too aggressive and don't know how NOT to get pushy because things don't develop. Just approach, ask and if nothing happens, nothing happens -walk away. It used to work ok for me because I was content to drop it if she didn't continue the conversation.

I mean seriously though . . . how do people meet each other if it's creepy to approach strangers? Granted, I was married at 19, 30 years now, so it's been a long while since I've had to worry about it so I'm out of touch.
What you're describing isn't creepy at all.

I guess it's more creepy when/if they can't think of anything to say/ask to test the waters besides something that comes out weird, like "What's your name?" or "Where do you live?" or "I like your shoes" (unless the shoes are really unusual and objectively, strikingly badass, in which case that would be fine) right off the bat.
Old 16th January 2019, 06:48 PM   #249
xjx388
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
It just didn't look that way in the ad.

IMO of course.
Yeah, it seemed like the ad depicted a couple of kids just roughhousing as boys do. You only need to intervene when the roughhousing gets a little too exuberant and someone gets hurt. Maybe I saw it wrong.
Old 16th January 2019, 06:53 PM   #250
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Yeah I know I said I was out and this will be it. I just thought that of the 11 comments on this video, the top one just sort of put an exclamation mark on this thread for me.

It reads....

Quote:
Ras Alghul
4 months ago
She is so beautiful in this movie - I bet Mel was looking forward to the day he got to film the sex scene with her.
Yup, pretty much says it all.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2019, 06:53 PM   #251
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Wait....so you're trying to tell me a funeral is not an appropriate place to approach women for hook-ups? You know, once you've double-checked to make sure they're not related to you and all that?
My grandmother went to a funeral specifically to meet my grandfather, since he was an eligible bachelor.

They were third cousins. It was Ireland.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2019, 06:53 PM   #252
ProBonoShill
Master Poster

Originally Posted by baron View Post
In my experience the vast majority of this behaviour comes from women. The catcalling, the innuendos, the butt grabbing, the inappropriate sexual references, pretty much exclusive to women. Indeed, I can't recall ever seeing a guy grab a woman's butt or titty, but I've had my own grabbed by women hundreds or possibly thousands of times.

But it's OK when women do it, right?
You mean like this (imagine the reaction if this was an older man doing this to random women):

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 16th January 2019, 07:03 PM   #253
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Females by far commit the vast majority of Neonaticides.

I think it is time all women had a look in the mirror and sort your crap out.

In fact I think we need a "Lady Shave" advert created to drive the point home to the lot of you.
We're gonna need a bigger truck!

The straw is overflowing. Are you comparing the number of instances of neonaticide or even infanticide to the number of instances of primitive male behavior? Perhaps you could cite some statistics for us.

Infanticide and Neonaticide: nnn (with n equaling a digit from 0-9)
Bullying: n99
Sexual Harassment: n123
etc....

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2019, 07:11 PM   #254
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
We're gonna need a bigger truck!

The straw is overflowing. Are you comparing the number of instances of neonaticide or even infanticide to the number of instances of primitive male behavior? Perhaps you could cite some statistics for us.

Infanticide and Neonaticide: nnn (with n equaling a digit from 0-9)
Bullying: n99
Sexual Harassment: n123
etc....
Besides that, I can't think of anything about "woman culture" which is responsible for it, or could change to lessen the frequency.

Maybe someone else here can think of something though. It's not "women sitting by idly while another woman commits infanticide", or "the widespread belief that infanticide is no big deal".

Perhaps cullenz has some ideas...
Old 16th January 2019, 07:26 PM   #255
pharphis
Graduate Poster

What you're describing isn't creepy at all.

I guess it's more creepy when/if they can't think of anything to say/ask to test the waters besides something that comes out weird, like "What's your name?" or "Where do you live?" or "I like your shoes" (unless the shoes are really unusual and objectively, strikingly badass, in which case that would be fine) right off the bat.
The two "ins" recommended by Dick Masterson are "What's your dad like?" (assuming all girls have daddy issues) and "I like your shoes". First one seems like a gamble
pharphis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2019, 07:29 PM   #256
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pharphis View Post
The two "ins" recommended by Dick Masterson are "What's your dad like?" (assuming all girls have daddy issues) and "I like your shoes". First one seems like a gamble
If a guy approached me at a store and asked me what my dad was like, I'd abandon my cart and ask security to walk me to my car.

Being complemented on totally average shoes would merely give me the heebie jeebies.

Who's Dick Masterson?

Last edited by kellyb; 16th January 2019 at 07:30 PM.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2019, 07:31 PM   #257
pharphis
Graduate Poster

If a guy approached me at a store and asked me what my dad was like, I'd leave my cart and ask security to walk me to my car.

Being complemented on totally average shoes would merely give me the heebie jeebies.

Who's Dick Masterson?
I think the idea is it's for a bar setting or something like that... I don't know I don't go to bars or try to pick up people.

"Totally average" shoes to you might be cool to someone else! (I'm indifferent to all of them)

Masterson is a comedian who is a parody male chauvinist who wound up on Dr. Phil (who confused him as a real character - these episodes were later pulled for legal reasons involving the other people on it - there's a bounty on it if anyone has a copy)

Last edited by pharphis; 16th January 2019 at 07:32 PM.
pharphis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2019, 07:36 PM   #258
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

I think the idea is it's for a bar setting or something like that... I don't know I don't go to bars or try to pick up people.

"Totally average" shoes to you might be cool to someone else! (I'm indifferent to all of them)

Masterson is a comedian who is a parody male chauvinist who wound up on Dr. Phil (who confused him as a real character - these episodes were later pulled for legal reasons involving the other people on it - there's a bounty on it if anyone has a copy)
The dad thing would be equally alarming at a bar, too, but it sounds like the advice was actually intended to elicit alarm and rejection, anyway. LOL

Last edited by kellyb; 16th January 2019 at 07:45 PM.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2019, 07:41 PM   #259
sphenisc
Illuminator

If a guy approached me at a store and asked me what my dad was like, I'd abandon my cart and ask security to walk me to my car.
Which means the security guard's wingman's done his job properly.
Old 16th January 2019, 07:42 PM   #260
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Yeah I know I said I was out and this will be it. I just thought that of the 11 comments on this video, the top one just sort of put an exclamation mark on this thread for me.

It reads....

Yup, pretty much says it all.
I bet he was though.

Old 16th January 2019, 07:43 PM   #261
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
First of all, the actual analogy should be "stop being a thief or enabling thieves". So the reaction is entirely understandable.

Second, no, absolutely not. One has NOTHING to do with the other. You're simply drawing a completely irrational conclusion. Hell, you're even proud of it.

Well I watched it and never did I think it was telling me that I'm bad.

In my experience the vast majority of this behaviour comes from women. The catcalling, the innuendos, the butt grabbing, the inappropriate sexual references, pretty much exclusive to women. Indeed, I can't recall ever seeing a guy grab a woman's butt or titty, but I've had my own grabbed by women hundreds or possibly thousands of times.

Sure...whatever.

But women do get molested. Hell I saw a teenage girl cosplayer get her butt grabbed at ComicCon last year. Guy just felt her up as he walked by. Then she looked at him as he walked away with this defeated look that really stuck with me. She did not like it but just sort of looked worn down to accept it as how our society works.

I really kick myself for no confronting the buttgrabber when I could have. It is a profound regret of mine and part of why this advert really spoke to me.
Old 16th January 2019, 07:44 PM   #262
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

You should write plots for horror movies. lol
Old 16th January 2019, 07:51 PM   #263
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Oof, too late.

When I was a teen, I volunteered in a hospital. There was a young lady sitting in the lobby reading a book. I walked over and said, "what are you reading?" We flirted a bit and I asked for her number. We dated for a few months, so I don't think she thought it was creepy, at least.

I mean, c'mon, really? No guy here has ever just approached a woman on the street, at a store, etc?
No, I never have. Not even when I was young and stupid.

And yes, I'm sure there would be times when the other person might see it positively. Far better, in my opinion, to err on the side of not doing it, than to risk making someone feel like they're being creeped on.

But please, at the very least when you do this, if the other person says "no", back off. Don't push the issue.
Old 16th January 2019, 08:56 PM   #264
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
But women do get molested. Hell I saw a teenage girl cosplayer get her butt grabbed at ComicCon last year. Guy just felt her up as he walked by. Then she looked at him as he walked away with this defeated look that really stuck with me. She did not like it but just sort of looked worn down to accept it as how our society works.

I really kick myself for no confronting the buttgrabber when I could have. It is a profound regret of mine and part of why this advert really spoke to me.
I have the same regrets about not standing up against similar incidents that occurred at high school in the ‘80s. It spoke to me also for that reason.

The way Trump’s “grabbing them by the pussy” recording was brushed off as locker room talk and he still got in is clear evidence that this culture is still very much alive in society.
Old 16th January 2019, 09:09 PM   #265
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Besides that, I can't think of anything about "woman culture" which is responsible for it, or could change to lessen the frequency.

Maybe someone else here can think of something though. It's not "women sitting by idly while another woman commits infanticide", or "the widespread belief that infanticide is no big deal".

Perhaps cullenz has some ideas...
Lol

Don't ask me

I was just trying to come up with an equally stupid scenario as this ad.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2019, 10:08 PM   #266
xjx388
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
No, I never have. Not even when I was young and stupid.

And yes, I'm sure there would be times when the other person might see it positively. Far better, in my opinion, to err on the side of not doing it, than to risk making someone feel like they're being creeped on.

But please, at the very least when you do this, if the other person says "no", back off. Don't push the issue.

Well of course I would back off if nothing developed. But why should I not even take the chance? Had I not taken a chance, I never would have met my wife. I met my wife in an elevator where I happened to strike up a conversation with her.

I don’t think I should have to alter my behavior because there are some guys who are complete misogynistic jerks. I KNOW that I’m not that guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 16th January 2019, 10:12 PM   #267
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Well of course I would back off if nothing developed. But why should I not even take the chance? Had I not taken a chance, I never would have met my wife. I met my wife in an elevator where I happened to strike up a conversation with her.

I don’t think I should have to alter my behavior because there are some guys who are complete misogynistic jerks. I KNOW that I’m not that guy.
She doesn't.
Old 16th January 2019, 10:17 PM   #268
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

I'm mystified by people complaining that there's no equivalent lecturing of women in commercial advertising.

Women are told how they should act all the time in advertising. Also how they should dress, how they should speak, how they should look, what they should be doing at home, and how much they should weigh. Is this something that's genuinely unnoticeable until the message is an "SJW" one?
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2019, 10:26 PM   #269
pharphis
Graduate Poster

She doesn't.
Women must be fragile little angels that need to fear for their lives with any encounter with a male stranger
Old 16th January 2019, 10:30 PM   #270
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

I'm mystified by people complaining that there's no equivalent lecturing of women in commercial advertising.

Women are told how they should act all the time in advertising. Also how they should dress, how they should speak, how they should look, what they should be doing at home, and how much they should weigh. Is this something that's genuinely unnoticeable until the message is an "SJW" one?
Apparently.
Old 16th January 2019, 10:32 PM   #271
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Women must be fragile little angels that need to fear for their lives with any encounter with a male stranger
Some women are really skittish about that sort of stuff. Most aren't, but some are.
Old 16th January 2019, 10:41 PM   #272
pharphis
Graduate Poster

Some women are really skittish about that sort of stuff. Most aren't, but some are.
Ya, some people have extreme anxiety regarding any social interaction (or mere presence). Doesn't mean men (and women, but we all know it's mostly men approaching) from approaching women. After all, he might be a rapist, a murderer, mugger or (gasp) might be interested in pursuing someone sexually/romantically.

It's weird how people want us to think of women as strong, independent, just as capable as men (or more capable), etc. but only selectively. I don't get it.
Old 16th January 2019, 10:49 PM   #273
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Ya, some people have extreme anxiety regarding any social interaction (or mere presence). Doesn't mean men (and women, but we all know it's mostly men approaching) from approaching women. After all, he might be a rapist, a murderer, mugger or (gasp) might be interested in pursuing someone sexually/romantically.
I don't think we should change the rules of everyday human interaction to just to accommodate people with anxiety disorders, either.

Quote:
It's weird how people want us to think of women as strong, independent, just as capable as men (or more capable), etc. but only selectively. I don't get it.
Well let me explain:

Not all people are the same. Not all women are the same.
Also, some men can flirt without coming across creepy, and other can't.
Old 16th January 2019, 11:12 PM   #274
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Old 16th January 2019, 11:16 PM   #275
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Oh for pity's sake. Unless you are a male stripper that highlighted claim simply is not credible.
Old 16th January 2019, 11:32 PM   #276
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

As long as you didn’t ask her if she wanted a coffee...
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2019, 11:41 PM   #277
xjx388
Philosopher

She doesn't.
So I should never take a chance because she maybe might feel uncomfortable? How do people function in the real world these days?

I’m going to do an experiment. I’m just gonna approach strangers and then ask them if they felt they were in danger. I’d wager that most people would not say they felt threatened by my approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17th January 2019, 01:18 AM   #278
ThatGuy11200
Scholar

I watched someone's opinion of this advert who pointed out that Gillette received a lot of flack for a prior advert that seemed to be appealing to Trump voters. So this ad is just a cynical attempt to get more left-leaning people back onside.

I'll put the whole video here. It seems a bit haphazard compared to most of her other videos but she does have some points to make.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
ThatGuy11200 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 01:26 AM   #279
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

My non-snowflake, ever practical wife has no problems with the ad and think it’s message positive. But she’s just a woman I suppose.......

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 01:40 AM   #280
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
My non-snowflake, ever practical wife has no problems with the ad and think it’s message positive. But she’s just a woman I suppose.......
Must be fun for her round you

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events