ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 17th January 2019, 01:46 AM   #281
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Must be fun for her round you
People without sarcasm detectors shouldn’t respond to any posts. Ever.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 01:47 AM   #282
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
People without sarcasm detectors shouldn’t respond to any posts. Ever.
I know it was sarcasm

I was just demonstrating how irritating it is when people take jokes so offensively
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 01:49 AM   #283
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
I know it was sarcasm

I was just demonstrating how irritating it is when people take jokes so offensively
Oh a joke. Must be some new, wierd definition. In my day, jokes were meant to be funny.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 01:53 AM   #284
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
But then, the message isn't aimed at you
Fair point. But those it is aimed at won't pay attention and won't get it.

Quote:
I see it as the opposite. The ad says that bully and creep are not our default settings.

Again, not aimed at you.
Who is it aimed at?

Quote:
So, advertising is a multi-billion dollar industry because it doesn't work?
One of my favourite vexed questions. I think there's a significant difference in effect between trying to advertise a man into changing his base nature and trying to persuade him to buy a different bag of crisps. (Cigarettes still sell in the UK, despite an advertising ban. When the ban was instituted, tobacco co. companies profits went up)

Quote:
Or maybe it lets people who are tired of that sort of behavior know they aren't alone and its socially acceptable to say so.
Fair point.

Quote:
Whats more likely is that Gillette saw a social trend and decided to get in front and market towards it. At least it ain't a rich white girl dismissing her black assistant to co-opt a Black Lives Matter analogue. So, hooray for low bars.

Either way, I don't see why you are so offended.
Not offended. Annoyed. And really rather irrationally, to be honest, there is always an off button. I think, if I'm experiencing any offence it's that I live in a world where this stuff has to be said. This is basic 'being a human being' stuff.

Quote:
Yes, but you need to define ****** and also, the marketers need to hit their quota.
Ultimately, that's what it's all about. As far as this piece is concerned, anything that doesn't get people buying razors (and associated shaving products) is a side effect.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 01:53 AM   #285
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Oh a joke. Must be some new, wierd definition. In my day, jokes were meant to be funny.
I just assumed your sarcasm was in a jokey sense

You actually believe people on here put that little value on females?

Love to know your evidence, but I doubt you will give it, so will leave you to do whatever you are doing.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 02:03 AM   #286
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
And as I noted before, I have had a very wide net of social groups, everywhere from Blue Collar mechanics to White Collar businessmen, from Police Officers to Accountants to Engineers to Educators. From Rugby Players to Cricket Teams to Service Club Members. The fact that I have had such a wide array of interactions with vastly different groups, and yet seen the same attitudes inside each of them is why I feel I can comment more broadly.

I think you have too much faith in the randomness of your own life.

You can't obviate the effects of a non-randomly selected group by saying 'well, my life is very diverse'. It just doesn't work that way.

The group you are sampling is not randomly selected. Neither is mine. Neither can be leaned upon as evidence of anything.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 02:20 AM   #287
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Who needs a new place to hang out?

One of the more puzzling questions.

The person to whom I was replying. I'm struggling to discern how there's any confusion there.

Old 17th January 2019, 02:35 AM   #288
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
One of the more puzzling questions.

The person to whom I was replying. I'm struggling to discern how there's any confusion there.
I think one of the issues is what I pointed out earlier.

The people (and I say people including females) who say their own social relationships contain men who disrespect/mistreat women (so assume all do), seem to be preaching to other men whose social relationships contain no known men who mistreat women, to speak up.

When surely if you know it might be a good idea to sort your male mates out first

Old 17th January 2019, 03:01 AM   #289
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
I'm mystified by people complaining that there's no equivalent lecturing of women in commercial advertising.

Women are told how they should act all the time in advertising. Also how they should dress, how they should speak, how they should look, what they should be doing at home, and how much they should weigh. Is this something that's genuinely unnoticeable until the message is an "SJW" one?

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Wudang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 03:30 AM   #290
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I've been meaning to post this for a bit, but this is from a campaign on violence here from 2007

Where they weren't some global company owned by Proctor and Gamble (known for child labour stuff), trying to jump on the bandwagon, in a pretense to care

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Procte...#Controversies

It is done by non profits

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Not sure if it means anything to the discussion, but personally think it gives a broader perspective

Old 17th January 2019, 04:07 AM   #291
baron

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post

I'm so sorry!

Holy crap.

What sort of context does this happen in?
In my younger days, in pubs and clubs mostly. I never complained. I used to bodybuild. Ass grabs were not an issue, titty twisting was sometimes painful but let me tell you, when a woman grabs you by the balls where you're not expecting it, that is pain that only a man can understand.

I don't get it so much these days (like, not at all). I like to think it's because I no longer to go to pubs and clubs, but if I'm honest it's because I'm old and saggy.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 04:12 AM   #292
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by baron View Post
In my younger days, in pubs and clubs mostly. I never complained. I used to bodybuild. Ass grabs were not an issue, titty twisting was sometimes painful but let me tell you, when a woman grabs you by the balls where you're not expecting it, that is pain that only a man can understand.

I don't get it so much these days (like, not at all). I like to think it's because I no longer to go to pubs and clubs, but if I'm honest it's because I'm old and saggy.
Nope, don’t believe a word of this.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 17th January 2019, 04:16 AM   #293
3point14
Pi

Did nobody ever react to the unsolicited bollock grabbing with an unsolicited smack round the chops?

Old 17th January 2019, 04:18 AM   #294
baron

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
But women do get molested.
Of course they do.

Hell I saw a teenage girl cosplayer get her butt grabbed at ComicCon last year. Guy just felt her up as he walked by. Then she looked at him as he walked away with this defeated look that really stuck with me. She did not like it but just sort of looked worn down to accept it as how our society works.

I really kick myself for no confronting the buttgrabber when I could have. It is a profound regret of mine and part of why this advert really spoke to me.
I wouldn't have spoken up in that instance. It might seem admirable when you see it in an ad but what does it really say? "Oh, this little woman can't stand up for herself, she needs a man to do it for her." It's either egotistical or patronising, neither of which is a good look.

Now if a woman were being threatened, that's a different thing altogether, because it's a simple fact that men are much stronger than women. That woman might need a man to stand up for her. And I've done it, too, when I was a student (A guy had his girlfriend pinned against a shop front outside our digs, I lent out the 3rd floor window and told him to F off, he challenged me to come down and say it to his face so I did, but he'd run off by the time I got there, leaving the woman who gave every impression of resenting my intervention and who went after the bloke, calling his name).

Last edited by baron; 17th January 2019 at 04:21 AM. Reason: sp
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 04:21 AM   #295
baron

Nope, don’t believe a word of this.
And your opinion is worth what, precisely?

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Did nobody ever react to the unsolicited bollock grabbing with an unsolicited smack round the chops?
The extreme bollock grab was a one-off, and if I had been able to react I wouldn't have done that, because I know it hadn't been intended.
Old 17th January 2019, 04:23 AM   #296
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

And your opinion is worth what, precisely?
About as much as your incredible posts.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 17th January 2019, 04:30 AM   #297
baron

About as much as your incredible posts.
So zero, by your own estimation. Thanks for the clarification, but I already knew.
Old 17th January 2019, 05:25 AM   #298
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
Some have praised the message of the advert, which aims to update the company's 30-year-old tagline, but others say Gillette is "dead" to them.
That's hilarious. "Gillete is dead to me!" I use Bic 3-blades and give no *****.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 05:26 AM   #299
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Most of those sorts are neckbeards, anyway. Do they shave that fuzz? I thought it was a membership requirement in the IGGWAWTSMU (I'm a great guy why aren't women willing to sex me up?) crowd.
Maybe the term hasn't hit your part of the world yet, but I've recently heard of people describing themselves as "incel". (involuntarily celibate)
Old 17th January 2019, 05:57 AM   #300
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
The analogy is more responding to the advise "Brush your teeth" by keeling over and holding your nuts.
I think we're getting lost in analogies, here.

The point of the matter is that the way the message is conveyed is key. If you have a regular Gillette commercial that changes the slogan to "be the best man you can be" or somesuch, accompanied by some examples more-or-less related to the product, it might actually slip into the psyche better. But this? It sounds preachy, and that's usually not well received. Again, Coca Cola does that much better.

Quote:
I...I really don't see how you get that. One is just a general statement, the reaction takes it personally for no reason and reacts in a rage.
And what does that have to do with being a rapist, I ask you?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 06:00 AM   #301
Belz...
Fiend God

I know I quickly dealt with this before I went to bed last night, but since then I have gone back and looked at your posts before you claimed I ignored your question, and the post you claimed I ignored it was the first time you asked it, so claiming I was ignoring your question, which you had not previously asked, was thoroughly disingenuous.
You really should've looked harder before posting the above:

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Yes but that's because you seem to have a predetermined conclusion about that. Maybe they just don't like the suggestion that they are something they're not. If I called you a rapist, assuming you're not one, would you not be offended? Would your offense prove my accusation?
Why did you ignore my previous question? If I called you a rapist, would you be offended by it, and would that prove the accusation correct?
The question was the one you just quoted. Please answer it. If I called you a rapist, would you be offended by it, and would that prove the accusation correct?

Will you apologise now for calling me disingenous?

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 06:02 AM   #302
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Again, Coca Cola does that much better.
Coke has lost it's marbles in the UK advertising market. The new ad is a mess.

Coca-Cola, please.

With sugar, or without?

Either! I just really love Coke!

Then everyone starts ******* dancing or some crap like that, to some filthy tune. What's all that about? Whoever thought it up definitely loves coke, and not the kind that comes in drink form.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 06:06 AM   #303
Belz...
Fiend God

As noted before, I am speaking of my experiences, and I think I have had a wide enough group in that to make a judgement.
You really don't. No one does. That's why we have science and statistics; to remove that bias in personal experience.

Quote:
Maybe you show stop asking leading questions then.
You have no idea if the question is "leading". You're just looking for excuses.

Quote:
I disagree with you.
Which part?

Quote:
I'm talking the well known and known to be accurate ones.
Fair enough.

Quote:
The reason it is irrelevant is because you are attempting to personalise the question.
First of all, no I'm not. I'm illustrating why the logic doesn't work via an example. Second, your objection is rich, considering that you're using your personal experience as an argument.

Quote:
Having someone personally call you a rapist is going to have a different reaction to someone calling all men rapists and you being a man, and that will be a different reaction to having that person say, "Most men are rapists," and further still having them say, "Some men are rapists."

And this is why your question is totally irrelevant. You are trying to equate the reaction to "Some men are Rapists" and "You personally are a Rapist" and that is simply not a valid comparison.
Again you're backing away from your own claims. You said "most", nor "some". That naturally means you're more likely to include a particular person in that group than not. It's completely understandable that someone would object. I thought you were on the side of those who don't want offensive language to be used. Why the double standard?

Old 17th January 2019, 06:09 AM   #304
3point14
Pi

You really don't. No one does. That's why we have science and statistics; to remove that bias in personal experience.

This. Too few people know and understand this.

Old 17th January 2019, 06:12 AM   #305
Belz...
Fiend God

In my experience the vast majority of this behaviour comes from women. The catcalling, the innuendos, the butt grabbing, the inappropriate sexual references, pretty much exclusive to women. Indeed, I can't recall ever seeing a guy grab a woman's butt or titty, but I've had my own grabbed by women hundreds or possibly thousands of times.
Nobody does it to me. Are you particularily attractive? Or am I butt ugly?

Originally Posted by Robin View Post
Are you saying that it is horse **** that men seem to be threatened by this ad?

Piers Morgan is calling it an assault on masculinity.

If that is not a man who feels threatened then he will do until one comes along.
Yeah but Piers Morgan is an idiot.

Well I watched it and never did I think it was telling me that I'm bad.
Huh, nice dodge.

And were they alaways funny?

Old 17th January 2019, 07:27 AM   #306
Stout
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
I have the same regrets about not standing up against similar incidents that occurred at high school in the ‘80s. It spoke to me also for that reason.

The way Trump’s “grabbing them by the pussy” recording was brushed off as locker room talk and he still got in is clear evidence that this culture is still very much alive in society.
There are bystander intervention courses out there that you can take to help you dell with these sort of issues. It may be worth spearheading the initiative to have your company HR department offer one of these to all the male employees in your workplace.

Failing that, you could always get a group of your buddies together and do one of these courses a a sort of guys night out.

As we've seen with the 10 Hours of Walking in NYC as a Woman there should be no shortage of opportunities to practice your new skills.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 07:34 AM   #307
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Stout View Post
As we've seen with the 10 Hours of Walking in NYC as a Woman there should be no shortage of opportunities to practice your new skills.
I'm not sure that video was a great example.

Old 17th January 2019, 07:39 AM   #308
Stout
Illuminator

I'm not sure that video was a great example.
Maybe not, but it's better than the Drunk Girl in Public one.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 07:43 AM   #309
Belz...
Fiend God

I don't get the reference.

Old 17th January 2019, 08:12 AM   #310
Stout
Illuminator

It was a video that came out on the heels of the Walking in New York one, only it turned out to be a fake. The producers must have had a hard time to find enough men acting like scum for their purposes so they decided to manufacture some instead.

Link
Old 17th January 2019, 08:27 AM   #311
baron

Nobody does it to me. Are you particularily attractive? Or am I butt ugly?
No, I look like a gorilla.

And I have no idea.
Old 17th January 2019, 08:38 AM   #312
Belz...
Fiend God

And I have no idea.
Maybe it's your irresistible magnetism. I can feel that from here. Maybe that's why we butt heads so often; I unconsciously see you as a rival.

Old 17th January 2019, 09:00 AM   #313
baron

Maybe it's your irresistible magnetism. I can feel that from here. Maybe that's why we butt heads so often; I unconsciously see you as a rival.
That's probably true. We are both butt heads.
Old 17th January 2019, 09:04 AM   #314
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

And I have no idea.
What's the context(s) in which this happens?
Old 17th January 2019, 09:11 AM   #315
baron

What's the context(s) in which this happens?
I look like a gorilla 24/7, context doesn't come into it.
Old 17th January 2019, 09:14 AM   #316
Belz...
Fiend God

Gorillas are gentle creatures. At least you don't look like those Chimpanzee asshats.

Old 17th January 2019, 09:19 AM   #317
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Seriously, are you just walking around the grocery store getting drive-by groped by fellow shoppers monthly, or what?
Old 17th January 2019, 09:21 AM   #318
Belz...
Fiend God

Seriously, are you just walking around the grocery store getting drive-by groped by fellow shoppers monthly, or what?
I wonder if stand-your-ground laws apply to that. Can baron shoot them in self-defense?

Old 17th January 2019, 09:44 AM   #319
baron

You know when you first raised this topic you appear to be obsessed with? I replied, in the very first sentence, with all the information you are now pretending you are unaware of? Well, that will answer your question.
Old 17th January 2019, 10:01 AM   #320
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

You know when you first raised this topic you appear to be obsessed with? I replied, in the very first sentence, with all the information you are now pretending you are unaware of? Well, that will answer your question.
I really didn't see it. My bad.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events