ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 17th January 2019, 07:53 AM   #1
Thermal
Philosopher

Peeping Tom Gets Worked By Homeowner

In the Great State of Florida, Geoffrey Cassidy was allegedly caught peeping in a window, masturbating while looking in at a teenage girl getting changed. The girl's father, former NFL defensive back Tony Beckham, saw him and chased him down 'had a good conversation with him'. Cassidy was treated for multiple broken bones. Cassidy was arrested and charged. Beckham was not.

So while I am inclined to applaud this, it does smack of vigilantism and revenge beating. Is there some interpretation of Florida law where this 'conversation' was legally justified?

https://www.local10.com/news/florida...ughters-window
Old 17th January 2019, 08:30 AM   #2
baron

I couldn't care less about the guy, but it seems like an overreaction to me.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 08:40 AM   #3
ahhell
Master Poster

Originally Posted by baron View Post
It is, but I totally understand.

They should both get arrested, if I were a judge or on the jury, i'd probably go pretty easy on the line backer, though I would certainly find him guilty of something.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 08:55 AM   #4
Whip
Graduate Poster

it would become a he said - he said in court unless there was some type of video proving the peeping I would imagine. we had a creep around here that would let his dog off the leash so he could 'chase' it and look in our windows.
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 09:07 AM   #5
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by baron View Post
In general, I'm inclined to let this be a matter of personal preference for individual householders.

If you ever find someone trespassing on your property sexually pleasuring themselves while they spy on your naked child, and you think it would be an overreaction to chase them down and beat them up... Then don't do it. I won't make you do it, and I won't argue for a law that would make you do it.

I will, however, hope for a legal system that allows a little leeway for householders who don't think it's an overreaction to act on their personal preference in such matters.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 09:11 AM   #6
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

If being a 'peeping tom' is a misdemeanor rather than a felony in Florida, then the 'peeping tom' would've been perfectly justified in shooting Geoffrey Cassidy to death under their Stand Your Ground legislation. Just something to think about before chasing someone down to beat them up in Florida.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 09:13 AM   #7
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Funny how certain posters magical ability to craft alternative universe scenarios why actions are okay seems to have evaporated in this thread. I can't imagine what the difference is.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 09:14 AM   #8
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

"masturbating while looking in at a teenage girl getting changed"

That's well beyond a mere peeping tom, and I can't imagine any prosecutor in the USA that would bring any charges against the father of the girl.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 09:14 AM   #9
baron

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
In general, I'm inclined to let this be a matter of personal preference for individual householders.

If you ever find someone trespassing on your property sexually pleasuring themselves while they spy on your naked child, and you think it would be an overreaction to chase them down and beat them up... Then don't do it. I won't make you do it, and I won't argue for a law that would make you do it.

I will, however, hope for a legal system that allows a little leeway for householders who don't think it's an overreaction to act on their personal preference in such matters.
Sure, he brought it on himself. I can't get worked up about it.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 09:15 AM   #10
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Funny how certain posters magical ability to craft alternative universe scenarios why actions are okay seems to have evaporated in this thread. I can't imagine what the difference is.
Have you considered citing one of the posts you have in mind, and asking the poster what the difference is?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 09:23 AM   #11
Thermal
Philosopher

Have you considered citing one of the posts you have in mind, and asking the poster what the difference is?
You mean that making snide passive aggressive comments to no one in particular complaining about postings having evaporated by freaking post number six needs clarification?
Old 17th January 2019, 09:24 AM   #12
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

The perp had a black eye and facial fractures, so the father must have punched him in the face to subdue him and hold him for police.

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 10:07 AM   #13
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
You mean that making snide passive aggressive comments to no one in particular complaining about postings having evaporated by freaking post number six needs clarification?
Sort of. I mean that Joe doesn't really do this forum any favors by his posting style.
Old 17th January 2019, 10:33 AM   #14
Stankeye
Critical Thinker

In the Great State of Florida, Geoffrey Cassidy was allegedly caught peeping in a window, masturbating while looking in at a teenage girl getting changed. The girl's father, former NFL defensive back Tony Beckham, saw him and chased him down 'had a good conversation with him'. Cassidy was treated for multiple broken bones. Cassidy was arrested and charged. Beckham was not.

So while I am inclined to applaud this, it does smack of vigilantism and revenge beating. Is there some interpretation of Florida law where this 'conversation' was legally justified?

This is what Gillette wants right?
Stankeye is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 10:33 AM   #15
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
It's Florida. Chase him around to the backyard and then drown the perp in the pool.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 10:48 AM   #16
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Well, ...

Considering that people in Florida have been legally exonerated for killing a person who is wearing the wrong color skin and the wrong types of clothes,

Then I expect that there are many Florida authorities who are not willing to waste a large amount of their staff time and money pursing a criminal case involving an unreasonable use of force on a Peeping Tom case.
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 10:54 AM   #17
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
If being a 'peeping tom' is a misdemeanor rather than a felony in Florida, then the 'peeping tom' would've been perfectly justified in shooting Geoffrey Cassidy to death under their Stand Your Ground legislation. Just something to think about before chasing someone down to beat them up in Florida.
"Stand your ground" allows someone to commit suicide? Really?
Old 17th January 2019, 10:55 AM   #18
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Ooops I thought Cassidy was the homeowner.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 10:59 AM   #19
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post

That's well beyond a mere peeping tom, and I can't imagine any prosecutor in the USA that would bring any charges against the father of the girl.
Even if they did, I elect trial by jury, and make sure my lawyer gets plenty of soccer mums and football dads on the jury.

I will NOT be convicted.
Old 17th January 2019, 11:03 AM   #20
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Like a reverse "Blazing Saddles". "Next man makes a move, the Master Debater gets it"
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 11:18 AM   #21
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I wonder what the social commentary would be if the races were reversed. Some or many might consider it "excessive force fueled by racism" if a white father beat the crap out of a black guy for the same thing.
Old 17th January 2019, 11:34 AM   #22
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

In Texas, it's legal to shoot someone in the back as they're running away with your stuff. I'm okay with the idea that in Florida, it might be de facto permitted to savagely beat down a trespasser who's jerking off to your teenage daughter.
Old 17th January 2019, 11:35 AM   #23
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Even if they did, I elect trial by jury, and make sure my lawyer gets plenty of soccer mums and football dads on the jury.

I will NOT be convicted.
That was a joke, right?

(Soccer moms and football dads are sure to side with the football playing father, I would think.)

Old 17th January 2019, 11:35 AM   #24
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
I wonder what the social commentary would be if the races were reversed. Some or many might consider it "excessive force fueled by racism" if a white father beat the crap out of a black guy for the same thing.
That's one thing I don't wonder about, and I'm thankful AF that it's not an issue in this thread.
Old 17th January 2019, 11:36 AM   #25
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder what the perps record looks like in Ohio?

Old 17th January 2019, 11:41 AM   #26
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

In Texas, it's legal to shoot someone in the back as they're running away with your stuff. I'm okay with the idea that in Florida, it might be de facto permitted to savagely beat down a trespasser who's jerking off to your teenage daughter.
It was apparently just a punch in the eye, not a savage beat down.

Old 17th January 2019, 11:47 AM   #27
Thermal
Philosopher

Sort of. I mean that Joe doesn't really do this forum any favors by his posting style.
You don't find that random bitching and complaining while contributing nothing to a discussion is productive? Well, to each his own, I guess.

Here's something to make him happy: the masterpeeper says he was just waiting for his overheated car to cool down. So when the police up, all they would see is a middle aged guy that got his ass broken up by a former NFL athelete, who claims to have had a 'good discussion'. There were no other reported witnesses to back up the peeping Tom claim.

Were the police right in taking the guy who pretty much admitted to a non-self-defense use of force at his word that he had any reason at all to bust Cassidy up? What made the police so sure that Beckham was not mistaken?
Old 17th January 2019, 12:04 PM   #28
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Well, of course. What better case than to subtly reinforce the (overall harmful) status quo of rugged individualism, physical violence and vigilantism?

Just look at the comments in this thread so far, even. No real condemnation (except by me) or maybe some mild objection at best.
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 12:07 PM   #29
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

That was a joke, right?

(Soccer moms and football dads are sure to side with the football playing father, I would think.)
Comprehension fail! Did you even read my post, which replied to the point your post was making?

You said: "I can't imagine any prosecutor in the USA that would bring any charges against the father of the girl."

I replied: "Even if they did, I elect trial by jury"

Last edited by smartcooky; 17th January 2019 at 12:10 PM.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 12:09 PM   #30
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
Well, of course. What better case than to subtly reinforce the (overall harmful) status quo of rugged individualism, physical violence and vigilantism?

Just look at the comments in this thread so far, even. No real condemnation (except by me) or maybe some mild objection at best.
I think the father was fairly restrained in his reaction and I have no problem with him catching, subduing, and holding the criminal for the police.

Old 17th January 2019, 12:10 PM   #31
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Did you even read my post, which replied to the point your post was making?

You said: "I can't imagine any prosecutor in the USA that would bring any charges against the father of the girl."

I replied: "Even if they did, I elect trial by jury"
Yeah, I've been working too many hours this week...

Old 17th January 2019, 12:25 PM   #32
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Florida allows citizen arrests, so that's really all this is. I don't think any more force than necessary was used to keep the perp from escaping.

Old 17th January 2019, 12:34 PM   #33
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I don't think any more force than necessary was used to keep the perp from escaping.
The face punching may have been unnecessary to keep him from escaping.
Old 17th January 2019, 12:39 PM   #34
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

The face punching may have been unnecessary to keep him from escaping.
How else do you get him to quit fighting with you and give up when you are one on one?

You are trying to detain a person who is desperate to get away from you and avoid the police.

You are going to be punching him somewhere, I would think.

Old 17th January 2019, 12:47 PM   #35
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

How else do you get him to quit fighting with you and give up when you are one on one?

You are trying to detain a person who is desperate to get away from you and avoid the police.

You are going to be punching him somewhere, I would think.
Forget the fighting. If holding him down doesn't work then just let him run, but stay within sight. The cops will take care of everything quickly.

The punching may have been emotional and unnecessary for the guy to have been quickly dealt with by the law.
Old 17th January 2019, 12:57 PM   #36
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Forget the fighting. If holding him down doesn't work then just let him run, but stay within sight. The cops will take care of everything quickly.

The punching may have been emotional and unnecessary for the guy to have been quickly dealt with by the law.
Or he may have been defending himself while trying to detain a felon...

The cops will take 10 minutes to arrive...they certainly won't take care of anything quickly.

Last edited by LTC8K6; 17th January 2019 at 12:58 PM.
Old 17th January 2019, 12:58 PM   #37
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

The laws is far from clear in Florida on citizen's arrests, but it seems like it is an accepted practice in the state.

Last edited by LTC8K6; 17th January 2019 at 12:59 PM.
Old 17th January 2019, 01:19 PM   #38
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Or he may have been defending himself while trying to detain a felon...

The cops will take 10 minutes to arrive...they certainly won't take care of anything quickly.
Or maybe he was worried that police would not beat up the perp and instead would simply arrest him.

There are plenty of fathers who would not attack a mentally ill pervert like this and instead rely on the police and give them a good description.
Old 17th January 2019, 01:25 PM   #39
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Or maybe he was worried that police would not beat up the perp and instead would simply arrest him.

There are plenty of fathers who would not attack a mentally ill pervert like this and instead rely on the police and give them a good description.
I think most fathers who caught a guy in the act of looking in their 15 year old daughter's window and jerking off to her undressing, would react pretty much the same way.

There's no way they'd know who he was or if he was mentally ill. That wouldn't even be a factor.

It's just a creep trespassing, peeping, and sexually harassing his 15 year old daughter.

In FL, the creep is lucky he wasn't shot on sight.

Old 17th January 2019, 01:32 PM   #40
baron

It was apparently just a punch in the eye, not a savage beat down.
In that case I revise my opinion. I had only skimmed the article and went from the OP's 'multiple broken bones', thinking arms and legs. A couple of punches is perfectly acceptable and every bush-based wanker should expect one.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events