ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 17th January 2019, 01:53 PM   #41
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Forget the fighting. If holding him down doesn't work then just let him run, but stay within sight. The cops will take care of everything quickly.
Bless your heart, William Parcher.

Even when there's actual deadly violence in progress, and there are cops already on the scene, there's still no guarantee that the cops will take care of anything quickly.

Last edited by theprestige; 17th January 2019 at 01:55 PM.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 01:55 PM   #42
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

A black eye doesn't bother me too much.

A beating like this, in the above situation, would've been out of line perhaps.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 01:59 PM   #43
Thermal
Philosopher

The article cites fractures to his face and eye. Fractures, pluralized, sounds like a tad more than a black eye.
Old 17th January 2019, 02:03 PM   #44
ahhell
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
The article cites fractures to his face and eye. Fractures, pluralized, sounds like a tad more than a black eye.
It could still be just one really good hit.

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post

I aint saying it's right but I get it and if I could I'd of probably done the same.

Last edited by ahhell; 17th January 2019 at 02:07 PM.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 02:06 PM   #45
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

I'm inclined to praise the father for exhibiting such restraint.
Old 17th January 2019, 03:05 PM   #46
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

"Dad was acting like a dad. I don’t see anything we should charge the dad with,” Daytona Beach police Chief Mike Chitwood told The News Journal.

A sentiment I can agree with. Just giving the perp a heads-up on some of what he can expect when he goes to jail.

Last edited by smartcooky; 17th January 2019 at 03:06 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 03:08 PM   #47
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I would have taken photos of the bloke and let the police handle the beating.
Old 17th January 2019, 03:18 PM   #48
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

On the other hand, a beating like that, in the situation you cited, seems pretty much in line to me.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 03:19 PM   #49
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Yep. Another completely valid option, and one that also carries less legal risk. If you happen to catch a trespasser jerking off to your child, I won't fault you at all if you choose to take this route instead of the other.
Old 17th January 2019, 03:23 PM   #50
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Gillette would say that this was a case of both men being men.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 03:55 PM   #51
Checkmite

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
On the other hand, a beating like that, in the situation you cited, seems pretty much in line to me.
I would tend to concur.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 04:04 PM   #52
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Yep. Another completely valid option, and one that also carries less legal risk.
Also less physical risk. The perp could beat the crap out of the father if he tries to fight or it could get worse than that. The perp might pull a knife or gun but only if he encounters anyone who gets physical with him.
Old 17th January 2019, 04:13 PM   #53
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
"Dad was acting like a dad. I don’t see anything we should charge the dad with,” Daytona Beach police Chief Mike Chitwood told The News Journal.

A sentiment I can agree with.
But this sentiment can come close to allowing "cops to act like cops" when they beat up criminals that they have encountered. It's as if the cops are like a father and the law-abiding community is their child. A certain kind of criminal can enrage them and cause them to use what might be considered "excessive force".

In general this forum is strongly against cops using violence against criminals and those who they believe are criminals. That generality is reversed here when a civilian is doing the violence. It seems like a double standard to me but maybe it isn't.
Old 17th January 2019, 04:21 PM   #54
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Also less physical risk. The perp could beat the crap out of the father if he tries to fight or it could get worse than that. The perp might pull a knife or gun but only if he encounters anyone who gets physical with him.
And that's why I'm in favor of leaving it up to the personal preferences of the victims. If you feel up to the legal and physical risk, do the thing. If not, do a different thing. I'll support you either way.
Old 17th January 2019, 04:26 PM   #55
Checkmite

Very true. If you rush out all huffing and puffing to confront the perpetrator and get ventilated, who's now stopping the window-wanker from walking right into your house and assaulting your daughter physically?

But this sentiment can come close to allowing "cops to act like cops" when they beat up criminals that they have encountered. It's as if the cops are like a father and the law-abiding community is their child. A certain kind of criminal can enrage them and cause them to use what might be considered "excessive force".
That's....a stretch. So much of one, that police have never even tried to use such an excuse. They're pretty consistent about arguing a strictly rational "threat assessment" basis for using lethal force.
Old 17th January 2019, 05:58 PM   #56
Thermal
Philosopher

In general this forum is strongly against cops using violence against criminals and those who they believe are criminals. That generality is reversed here when a civilian is doing the violence. It seems like a double standard to me but maybe it isn't.
These were the lines I was thinking along. Posters here seem a pretty vigalante bunch in this thread. All well and good. Considering that the peeper did not appear to be posing an imminent threat, I wonder under what circumstances a non violent creep can have his bones broken with impunity? Richard Spencer is a creep, too, although a different sort. Perhaps the forum is abandoning the rule of law in favor of some old school comeuppance?
Old 17th January 2019, 06:05 PM   #57
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stankeye View Post
This is what Gillette wants right?
Yes, according to the Gillette thread it is the responsibility of men to help one another see the error of their ways.

At first I thought the Dad went too far. He chased the guy off the property to confront him. But it looks like "broken bones" sounds a lot worse than it is - one punch could have done it and I am willing to give him a few punches in this case.

Combine that with Florida law and I'm cool with it.

Who suggested that he should have taken a photo of the perp? "Ya, wait I gotta grab my phone before I chase the bad guy, and hey can you hold still for a sec - I mean you don't have a gun, right?"
Old 17th January 2019, 06:58 PM   #58
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Who suggested that he should have taken a photo of the perp? "Ya, wait I gotta grab my phone before I chase the bad guy, and hey can you hold still for a sec - I mean you don't have a gun, right?"
I don't know about you, but I can grab my phone and open the camera app in a few seconds regardless of where I am. I don't need them to hold still. And if they have a gun, well, masturbation is the least of my problems.
Old 17th January 2019, 07:47 PM   #59
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

These were the lines I was thinking along. Posters here seem a pretty vigalante bunch in this thread. All well and good. Considering that the peeper did not appear to be posing an imminent threat, I wonder under what circumstances a non violent creep can have his bones broken with impunity? Richard Spencer is a creep, too, although a different sort. Perhaps the forum is abandoning the rule of law in favor of some old school comeuppance?
Sometimes a Peeping Tom pervert who masterbates only does that and they don't want to interact or be seen. That is still illegal and is generally morally condemned.

I do wonder if accusations of racism would happen if the races were reversed. "You know that white guy didn't really have to beat up that black guy and instead could have let the police handle it. He probably thinks that all black guys are rapists and that's why he busted up his face."
Old 17th January 2019, 07:48 PM   #60
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

If the beating had been significantly worse, I’d still be okay with it.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 07:57 PM   #61
Checkmite

I do wonder if accusations of racism would happen if the races were reversed.
The case I linked earlier did involve a white father who beat a black perpetrator. The incident was discussed in a thread on this forum, and to my recollection nobody proposed racism as a motivating factor.
Old 17th January 2019, 07:58 PM   #62
Thermal
Philosopher

And that's why I'm in favor of leaving it up to the personal preferences of the victims. If you feel up to the legal and physical risk, do the thing. If not, do a different thing. I'll support you either way.
You support vigilante punishment in all cases, or this one in particular? Not playing games, just would not have expected this response.
Old 17th January 2019, 08:12 PM   #63
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
If the beating had been significantly worse, I’d still be okay with it.
Why is that? Is breaking faces an okay way to handle Peeping Toms? How many criminals are not entitled to due process?

Not saying I disagree with you. I would do the same or hopefully worse to someone I found peeping at my daughter. And I would know that I was wrong and hands-down the bad guy every step of the way. It would not be okay, even if I was the one dishing it out.
Old 17th January 2019, 08:27 PM   #64
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Funny how certain posters magical ability to craft alternative universe scenarios why actions are okay seems to have evaporated in this thread. I can't imagine what the difference is.
Yeah, it's a freaking mystery.

Last edited by Lambchops; 17th January 2019 at 08:31 PM.
Lambchops is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 08:28 PM   #65
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

The criminal justice system is I suppose adequate for prosecuting crimes.

But its existence doesn’t render human emotion/conflict/anger irrelevant. People can justifiably resort to violence under certain circumstances and I see this as one of them, as a parent’s job is to protect his child.

Was the child under imminent physical threat? Perhaps not but the father IMO invested a worthwhile effort into ensuring she won’t be in the future either.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 08:33 PM   #66
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes".

I'd say that applies here.
Old 17th January 2019, 08:51 PM   #67
Thermal
Philosopher

But its existence doesn’t render human emotion/conflict/anger irrelevant. People can justifiably resort to violence under certain circumstances and I see this as one of them, as a parent’s job is to protect his child.

Was the child under imminent physical threat? Perhaps not but the father IMO invested a worthwhile effort into ensuring she won’t be in the future either.
I'm with the man on protecting his daughter. Multiple bone fractures is not simply protecting her, though. This was punishment. And as he was outside the home, I am not clear enough on Florida's law to understand why Beckham was not charged, at least preliminarily. Is this a case of police looking the other way? Do we really want selective law enforcement at the cops' discretion? I wouldn't want to be on the wrong end of that deal.
Old 17th January 2019, 09:01 PM   #68
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by baron View Post
In that case I revise my opinion. I had only skimmed the article and went from the OP's 'multiple broken bones', thinking arms and legs. A couple of punches is perfectly acceptable and every bush-based wanker should expect one.
Was just about to post the same thing

I was thinking broken arms etc.

It is just a couple of punches by someone who is obviously very strong. Or his head hit the ground when he fell.

"Cassidy was taken to Wellington Regional Medical Center to be treated for fractures to his face and eye. "
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 09:01 PM   #69
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

I suppose if Mr Masturbator had walked in and shot Mr Black Dad dead in Mr Black Dad's own home, because Mr Masturbator was really sleepy and had forgotten where he lived, that would be all good.

Provided of course, that Mr Masturbator had been wearing a cop uniform while white.

But Mr Black Dad kicking Mr Masturbator's ass for jacking off outside Mr Black Dad's daughter's window is just wrong

Last edited by Lambchops; 17th January 2019 at 09:05 PM.
Lambchops is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 09:18 PM   #70
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
I suppose if Mr Masturbator had walked in and shot Mr Black Dad dead in Mr Black Dad's own home, because Mr Masturbator was really sleepy and had forgotten where he lived, that would be all good.

Provided of course, that Mr Masturbator had been wearing a cop uniform while white.

But Mr Black Dad kicking Mr Masturbator's ass for jacking off outside Mr Black Dad's daughter's window is just wrong
Ok, I'll bite.

What the hell are you talking about?
Old 17th January 2019, 09:19 PM   #71
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Ok, I'll bite.

What the hell are you talking about?
"Reality" as seen through the eyes of the International "Skeptics" Forum.

Last edited by Lambchops; 17th January 2019 at 09:21 PM.
Old 17th January 2019, 09:20 PM   #72
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

In an age of freely available internet porn, there is something to be said for a person willing to make the effort and take the risk of peeping on people.

Note: the correct move would have been to grab the guy and let his daughter kick him good and hard.
Old 17th January 2019, 09:23 PM   #73
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
In an age of freely available internet porn, there is something to be said for a person willing to make the effort and take the risk of peeping on people.

Note: the correct move would have been to grab the guy and let his daughter kick him good and hard.
The correct move would have been to beat the guys ass and let the daughter finish him off.
Old 17th January 2019, 09:23 PM   #74
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Admittedly I have only skim read the thread, but there aren't that many people saying the father was in the wrong?
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 09:25 PM   #75
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Admittedly I have only skim read the thread, but there aren't that many people saying the father was in the wrong?
Oh, there are some.

Last edited by Lambchops; 17th January 2019 at 09:27 PM.
Old 17th January 2019, 09:28 PM   #76
Thermal
Philosopher

Oh, there are some.
Such as? Everyone seems to be on Beckham's side here
Old 17th January 2019, 09:32 PM   #77
Thermal
Philosopher

"Reality" as seen through the eyes of the International "Skeptics" Forum.
Oh that's much clearer.
Old 17th January 2019, 09:46 PM   #78
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Oh that's much clearer.
Indeed.
Old 17th January 2019, 10:02 PM   #79
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The correct move would have been to beat the guys ass and let the daughter finish him off.
Disagree.
The Dad wasn't the target/aggrieved party. Personal justice should have been dished out by the daughter.
Old 17th January 2019, 10:08 PM   #80
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Florida allows citizen arrests, so that's really all this is. I don't think any more force than necessary was used to keep the perp from escaping.
There are still rules to follow even during a so-called citizen's arrest. You sure he followed them?

Or he may have been defending himself while trying to detain a felon...
You're saying that the parent knew for a fact that there was a felony being committed in his presence?

I think most fathers who caught a guy in the act of looking in their 15 year old daughter's window and jerking off to her undressing, would react pretty much the same way.

There's no way they'd know who he was or if he was mentally ill. That wouldn't even be a factor.

It's just a creep trespassing, peeping, and sexually harassing his 15 year old daughter.

In FL, the creep is lucky he wasn't shot on sight.
Why limit to Florida? This same attitude is nationwide. People just hate their guns until they love their guns!

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
It could still be just one really good hit.

I aint saying it's right but I get it and if I could I'd of probably done the same.
Oh, please. Just say "it's right." Don't you have any courage of your convictions?

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post

A sentiment I can agree with. Just giving the perp a heads-up on some of what he can expect when he goes to jail.
With your attitude you'd make a great American. It's so strange that you are so frightened of guns.

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Hahaha! Of course! Let the violence of the state handle the beating for you! That's what government is for, after all.

I'm not surprised at the American responses because that's how we're socially conditioned but it's a little more surprising to me of the non-Americans who are so calloused and indifferent.

Frankly, the whole situation is sad. However, unless the suspect admits to it, there's no way a trial would bring conviction.

What happens if the guy is wrong? What happens if you all are wrong about what the father "saw"?

Oh well and who cares?

I'm with the man on protecting his daughter. Multiple bone fractures is not simply protecting her, though. This was punishment. And as he was outside the home, I am not clear enough on Florida's law to understand why Beckham was not charged, at least preliminarily. Is this a case of police looking the other way? Do we really want selective law enforcement at the cops' discretion? I wouldn't want to be on the wrong end of that deal.
Yeah, it's sad to see but completely unsurprising that so many are aware of the unreliability of eye witnesses and yet are so willing to virtue signal and posture how tough they are and the word of this father is automatically believed to the point that any violence already put upon the suspect is A-Okay.

Such as? Everyone seems to be on Beckham's side here
I'm certainly not. I'm pretty disgusted at the casual disregard of human beings that are indicated here, depending on which category a person is pigeon-holed in.
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events