ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 28th January 2019, 11:03 AM   #281
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing
 
kellyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,069
Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I can only answer for myself, but I have no difficulty wanting different things from different people. Sometimes you want to hold hands under the stars, and sometimes you want to choke a guy until he orgasms. They don't have to be the same guy. In fact, wouldn't it be a bit weird if it was?
It's really not weird for me at all. I've been with the same one dude since I was 17, and I just turned 40. Different things with different people seems weird to me. LOL
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts ~ Bertrand Russell
I am proud to say that Henry Kissinger is not my friend.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 11:43 AM   #282
dann
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 7,155
Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
It's easier to be gay.

At least, you're probably much less likely to believe in pseudo-Darwinian fairy tales like this:

Originally Posted by qayak View Post
Supposing the last two on Earth were male and female and aware that the other existed, pretty soon you would most likely find them together trying to make more humans because that's what humans do.

Or would you close your eyes and think of the propagation of the species?
__________________
/dann
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 11:43 AM   #283
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom
 
Hellbound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Posts: 13,318
Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
Femininity, is a good thing which contributes greatly to the well being of our culture.
Masculinity, is also a good thing which contributes greatly to the well being of our culture.

Describing bad behavior as some kind of "toxic" version of masculinity or femininity is akin to describing drowning as "death by toxic hydration".
Just as an aside, you do realize that over-hydration can cause death by water toxicity, yes? So no, it wouldn't be drowning, but drinking water taken too far.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 12:22 PM   #284
Magrat
Mrs. Rincewind
 
Magrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Lancre Kingdom/Adirondack Mountain Region, NY
Posts: 4,181
I am really stuck on that suggestion that women are settling...I can't help but see a really poor self image behind comments like that. Along with suggesting that you would be with someone because you lacked a choice.

Reminds me of my ex husband. He used to say to me that I couldn't leave him because "nobody wants a middle aged cripple with two kids." Like first of all, **** you. But secondly, it assumes that you must be with someone. Like being alone just isn't an option. I told him, I would rather spend the rest of my life broke and alone than spend another minute with you.

There is no lack of options. I mean...I met my husband online, which is the biggest ocean full of fish you could imagine and really, no matter how weird or bizarre you think you are, there really is someone out there. I wasn't on the isf looking for someone...I had planned to never get married again after 17 years of Mr Wonderful...but seriously, if me and Rincewind found each other, there's a screw for every nut out there.

But being alone with your own self is always an option and nothing wrong with that. if you cant be with you, how could expect someone else to be with you?

Anyway, I am a woman, been one for 41 years now, and I have known a lot of women. I can guarantee that women do not look for Thor but settle for Ant-Man. If you think your wife/girlfriend settled for you, maybe you have some serious soul searching to do. But to ascribe such shallow and ridiculous ideas to 51% of the population because you feel bad about yourself is absurd.
__________________
Non ergo nothi tere vos usque.

Magrat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 12:41 PM   #285
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles
 
TragicMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Monkey
Posts: 48,264
Originally Posted by dann View Post
At least, you're probably much less likely to believe in pseudo-Darwinian fairy tales like this:




Or would you close your eyes and think of the propagation of the species?
I think even if I were straight and wanted kids I'd not reproduce in that situation as it would only prolong the species by a single generation. Unless they reproduced incestuously, in which case there might be a few more generations of increasingly mutated monstrosities before pedigree collapse wiped them out for good.
__________________
You added nothing to that conversation, Barbara.
TragicMonkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 12:53 PM   #286
Elagabalus
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 4,096
Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I think even if I were straight and wanted kids I'd not reproduce in that situation as it would only prolong the species by a single generation. Unless they reproduced incestuously, in which case there might be a few more generations of increasingly mutated monstrosities before pedigree collapse wiped them out for good.
I was just thinking about this. She might die in childbirth. Then what happens? Ewwww.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 01:14 PM   #287
Magrat
Mrs. Rincewind
 
Magrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Lancre Kingdom/Adirondack Mountain Region, NY
Posts: 4,181
This is one of the many confusing parts of the Bible. The Bible says only Adam and Eve were in Eden, and lists only their sons. Then suddenly their sons have wives? Were they their sisters? And when Cain is exiled, he goes and lives with other people...who are they?

Always makes me wonder when people claim the Bible is the literal truth if they've actually read it...this part is in the first book!
__________________
Non ergo nothi tere vos usque.

Magrat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 01:21 PM   #288
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing
 
kellyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,069
Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I think even if I were straight and wanted kids I'd not reproduce in that situation as it would only prolong the species by a single generation. Unless they reproduced incestuously, in which case there might be a few more generations of increasingly mutated monstrosities before pedigree collapse wiped them out for good.
The writer of this free ebook devises a somewhat plausible way the species could continue at the end of the book, but it ain't pretty!
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts ~ Bertrand Russell
I am proud to say that Henry Kissinger is not my friend.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 01:21 PM   #289
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom
 
Hellbound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Posts: 13,318
Originally Posted by Magrat View Post
This is one of the many confusing parts of the Bible. The Bible says only Adam and Eve were in Eden, and lists only their sons. Then suddenly their sons have wives? Were they their sisters? And when Cain is exiled, he goes and lives with other people...who are they?

Always makes me wonder when people claim the Bible is the literal truth if they've actually read it...this part is in the first book!
Those are just extras, they don't count as part of the cast.

Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 01:33 PM   #290
Chanakya

 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,013
Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
... finding people online has a higher percentage of folks doing it because they have no options.

Does that mean everyone doing it is a troll looking individual? No, but I'm likely to ruin into more online than if I were to use more traditional methods.

(a) Citation?

(b) Even if you did produce convincing evidence (which you haven't yet): As you yourself point out, averages don't bear on actual specifics. This discussion was on specifics, and the person concerned had already explained their motives satisfactorily.
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 01:34 PM   #291
Cain
Straussian
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,722
Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
I'm talking about satisfying long term relationships, not "getting laid" via social media and booze. If you stepped away from the depressed braincel crowd for a while, you might rediscover a whole different world out there, where people fall and stay in love for years or decades.
You were just insisting on the relevance of incels. Satisfying long-term relationships are going to be more difficult, and not just for undesirable people. Why is it that celebrities are more likely to get divorced? Because Hollywood's "culture" is hopelessly bankrupt? Or, maybe part of the explanation has to do with very desirable people with tons of options. They're also away from their partners for extended periods of time, which provides more opportunities to cheat. Why are Blacks less likely to marry? Because Black culture is so hopelessly toxic? Part of the reason surely has to do with so many men being imprisoned, which gives the remaining free men an advantage.

Quote:
You're the one who posted that link to back up your point about what women really want.

Maybe you should actually read the content of the links you post? That would really help you make coherent and persuasive arguments.
You take foolish positions, but at least you're a crappy debater. Add a dose of certainty and I wonder who you think you're fooling. When it comes to what women want, or what they find desirable, you're part of the contingent insisting attraction to famous celebrity because he's smart/funny/x, not because he's a famous celebrity. How can you be so certain?

Quote:
Pay attention.
This is just ironic. A demonstration of wit and intelligence is undeniable. (And if you want to say "Well, what if he cribbed that line from someone else?" then the same could apply to the picture.)
__________________
April 13th, 2018:
Ranb: I can't think of anything useful you contributed to a thread in the last few years.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 01:41 PM   #292
Magrat
Mrs. Rincewind
 
Magrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Lancre Kingdom/Adirondack Mountain Region, NY
Posts: 4,181
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
You were just insisting on the relevance of incels. Satisfying long-term relationships are going to be more difficult, and not just for undesirable people. Why is it that celebrities are more likely to get divorced? Because Hollywood's "culture" is hopelessly bankrupt? Or, maybe part of the explanation has to do with very desirable people with tons of options. They're also away from their partners for extended periods of time, which provides more opportunities to cheat. Why are Blacks less likely to marry? Because Black culture is so hopelessly toxic? Part of the reason surely has to do with so many men being imprisoned, which gives the remaining free men an advantage.



You take foolish positions, but at least you're a crappy debater. Add a dose of certainty and I wonder who you think you're fooling. When it comes to what women want, or what they find desirable, you're part of the contingent insisting attraction to famous celebrity because he's smart/funny/x, not because he's a famous celebrity. How can you be so certain?



This is just ironic. A demonstration of wit and intelligence is undeniable. (And if you want to say "Well, what if he cribbed that line from someone else?" then the same could apply to the picture.)
You should be a politician. You're very good at using a whole ton of words to say very little of substance. Or in this case, nothing at all.
__________________
Non ergo nothi tere vos usque.

Magrat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 01:42 PM   #293
Chanakya

 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,013
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
When a member here makes their personal life part of the discussion, it is fair play to comment on that personal life. If you don't want it discussed. don't bring it up.

That sounds reasonable.


Quote:
Often you find members bringing up their personal life, having it commented on, and then taking offence in an attempt to salvage their side of a discussion. That the real cheap shot.

Non sequitur?

(In other words: How, would you say, does this last tie in with my comment, that you've quoted, or with the discussion that my own post referenced?)
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 01:43 PM   #294
Cain
Straussian
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,722
Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
I was actually thinking of all that as I was typing it, but decided not to go into it.

Honestly, I think I'd be lucky if I was able to be friends with the only other person on earth. The chances I'd be in love with them seems very, very slim.
Not surprisingly, this is silly. If you were one of the last two people on earth, then 1) I'd feel sorry for the other person; 2) if both decided to continue living, you'd probably find Harvey Weinstein attractive. What happens to people when they're all alone? They go nuts.

"There are no words to express the abyss between isolation and having one ally. It may be conceded to the mathematicians that four is twice two. But two is not twice one; two is two thousand times one." - GK Chesterton

Most humans will adapt to their circumstances, and comfort ourselves with rationalizations and lies. "He's misunderstood. No, he's changed. He's actually very sweet." Of course, there are those people who insist they'd never go along with the Miligram experiments.
__________________
April 13th, 2018:
Ranb: I can't think of anything useful you contributed to a thread in the last few years.

Last edited by Cain; 28th January 2019 at 01:44 PM.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 01:45 PM   #295
Magrat
Mrs. Rincewind
 
Magrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Lancre Kingdom/Adirondack Mountain Region, NY
Posts: 4,181
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Not surprisingly, this is silly. If you were one of the last two people on earth, then 1) I'd feel sorry for the other person; 2) if both decided to continue living, you'd probably find Harvey Weinstein attractive. What happens to people when they're all alone? They go nuts.

"There are no words to express the abyss between isolation and having one ally. It may be conceded to the mathematicians that four is twice two. But two is not twice one; two is two thousand times one." - GK Chesterton

Most humans will adapt to their circumstances, and comfort ourselves with rationalizations and lies. "He's misunderstood. No, he's changed. He's actually very sweet." Of course, there are those people who insist they'd never go along with the Miligram experiments.
Having an ally to help you survive and being in love are very different things. I am beginning to doubt you have experienced love if this is the type of example you bring.
__________________
Non ergo nothi tere vos usque.

Magrat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 01:51 PM   #296
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing
 
kellyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,069
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
When it comes to what women want, or what they find desirable, you're part of the contingent insisting attraction to famous celebrity because he's smart/funny/x, not because he's a famous celebrity. How can you be so certain?
I was using Oswalt as a example of the type of guys I know personality-wise who girls have always liked even tho they are not objectively anyone's idea of "stunningly handsome".


Quote:
This is just ironic. A demonstration of wit and intelligence is undeniable. (And if you want to say "Well, what if he cribbed that line from someone else?" then the same could apply to the picture.)
The study wasn't evaluating profiles where wit could be demonstrated.

It says:
Quote:
"Researchers asked young women (ages 15 to 29) to choose potential dates from a series of photographs and descriptions, while the women's mothers (ages 37 to 61) were asked to select possible boyfriends for their daughters using the same information. Results showed that a man's looks influenced both groups of women more strongly than his personality profile."
and..
Quote:
Each photograph came with one of three trait profiles, which included personality characteristics and attributes that prior studies had determined to be one of three different levels of attractiveness to women
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts ~ Bertrand Russell
I am proud to say that Henry Kissinger is not my friend.

Last edited by kellyb; 28th January 2019 at 01:53 PM.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 01:55 PM   #297
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,334
Originally Posted by Lithrael View Post
The idea that you call what’s been discussed here “soul mate” talk is absurd.

Some people just don’t want to be in a relationship enough to “settle” anyways.
And good on them. The ones that are in a relationship settled.
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 02:02 PM   #298
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,334
Originally Posted by Chanakya View Post
Non sequitur?

(In other words: How, would you say, does this last tie in with my comment, that you've quoted, or with the discussion that my own post referenced?)
Simply pointing out that we were already 3/4 of the way down that path:

1 Someone brought up their personal life.

2 Someone made a legitimate, if mildly harsh, comment on that life.

3 Someone took offence.

The next step would be for members to shut down the commenting member because of the offence taken.
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 02:09 PM   #299
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,334
Originally Posted by dann View Post
At least, you're probably much less likely to believe in pseudo-Darwinian fairy tales like this:




Or would you close your eyes and think of the propagation of the species?
Pseudo-Darwinian?

You're the only one who talks about saving the species. I just said humans seek out other humans and procreate. Evolution and human psychology demonstrate that.
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 02:10 PM   #300
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing
 
kellyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,069
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Not surprisingly, this is silly. If you were one of the last two people on earth, then 1) I'd feel sorry for the other person; 2) if both decided to continue living, you'd probably find Harvey Weinstein attractive. What happens to people when they're all alone? They go nuts.

"There are no words to express the abyss between isolation and having one ally. It may be conceded to the mathematicians that four is twice two. But two is not twice one; two is two thousand times one." - GK Chesterton

Most humans will adapt to their circumstances, and comfort ourselves with rationalizations and lies. "He's misunderstood. No, he's changed. He's actually very sweet." Of course, there are those people who insist they'd never go along with the Miligram experiments.
I know people go stark raving mad in solitary confinement, but I think I might be ok as long as I have dogs with me, and total freedom. I'd probably figure out how to at least be friendly acquaintances with the other person, too. Hopefully close friends.
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts ~ Bertrand Russell
I am proud to say that Henry Kissinger is not my friend.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 02:10 PM   #301
Magrat
Mrs. Rincewind
 
Magrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Lancre Kingdom/Adirondack Mountain Region, NY
Posts: 4,181
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
And good on them. The ones that are in a relationship settled.
Proof?

To me this smacks of the overweight neckbeard sitting in his mother's basement wearing Dorito stained sweatpants ranting on WoW that Rhianna's forehead is too big.
__________________
Non ergo nothi tere vos usque.

Magrat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 02:12 PM   #302
Magrat
Mrs. Rincewind
 
Magrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Lancre Kingdom/Adirondack Mountain Region, NY
Posts: 4,181
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
Pseudo-Darwinian?

You're the only one who talks about saving the species. I just said humans seek out other humans and procreate. Evolution and human psychology demonstrate that.
I cannot imagine there are too many people stupid enough to think one male and one female can singlehandedly regenerate a species.
__________________
Non ergo nothi tere vos usque.

Magrat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 02:15 PM   #303
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing
 
kellyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,069
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
The ones that are in a relationship settled.
I'm sure a couple of them out there are. I have no problem taking you at your word that you're the expert on this one.
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts ~ Bertrand Russell
I am proud to say that Henry Kissinger is not my friend.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 02:17 PM   #304
Magrat
Mrs. Rincewind
 
Magrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Lancre Kingdom/Adirondack Mountain Region, NY
Posts: 4,181
Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
I'm sure a couple of them out there are. I have no problem taking you at your word that you're the expert on this one.
Im getting more of a "No woman is good enough for me" vibe. But I am not an expert
__________________
Non ergo nothi tere vos usque.

Magrat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 02:26 PM   #305
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing
 
kellyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,069
Originally Posted by Magrat View Post
I cannot imagine there are too many people stupid enough to think one male and one female can singlehandedly regenerate a species.
If they started young enough and they were willing to be brutal, I think it might work.

I'd rather not think about it too much, tho.
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts ~ Bertrand Russell
I am proud to say that Henry Kissinger is not my friend.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 02:27 PM   #306
Chanakya

 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,013
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
...
1 Someone brought up their personal life.
Okay.

Quote:
2 Someone made a legitimate, if mildly harsh, comment on that life.
(a) The legitimacy is suspect. You left out, in yur own post, the part of my comment that touched on that.

(b) I was questioning the need for that harshness in that specific instance.

Quote:
3 Someone took offence.
A different someone.

Quote:
Simply pointing out that we were already 3/4 of the way down that path:
Not really, because #2(a) and #3 above.

Quote:
The next step would be for members to shut down the commenting member because of the offence taken.
(a) No longer applies, because above.

(b) Even otherwise, I question your implication, given that what you feared might happen hadn't actually happened. Seems a stretch to generalize that principle.
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 02:28 PM   #307
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing
 
kellyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,069
Originally Posted by Chanakya View Post

A different someone
I wouldn't even call it "taking offense" so much as noting butthole behavior.
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts ~ Bertrand Russell
I am proud to say that Henry Kissinger is not my friend.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 02:35 PM   #308
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing
 
kellyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,069
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
I just said humans seek out other humans and procreate.
Except when they don't.

See: Japan, homosexuality, women post-menopause, etc and so on.
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts ~ Bertrand Russell
I am proud to say that Henry Kissinger is not my friend.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 02:37 PM   #309
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles
 
TragicMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Monkey
Posts: 48,264
Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Those are just extras, they don't count as part of the cast.

I figure the wives are nameless NPCs. Like how in Skyrim the villages and towns are full of people with names and backstories, but if you encounter NPCs in the wilds they're likely to just be "Stormcloak Soldier" or "Bandit Thug". Adam and Eve's sons married Bandit Thugs, most likely wearing Hide Armor.
__________________
You added nothing to that conversation, Barbara.
TragicMonkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 02:38 PM   #310
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,334
Originally Posted by Magrat View Post
I cannot imagine there are too many people stupid enough to think one male and one female can singlehandedly regenerate a species.
You'll have to talk to Dann regarding their intelligence then.

I think it is equally stupid to think individuals procreate to save a species. Individuals are programmed to procreate to carry on their own genes. If enough of a species does that it survives. If not, it doesn't.
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 03:14 PM   #311
Magrat
Mrs. Rincewind
 
Magrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Lancre Kingdom/Adirondack Mountain Region, NY
Posts: 4,181
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
You'll have to talk to Dann regarding their intelligence then.

I think it is equally stupid to think individuals procreate to save a species. Individuals are programmed to procreate to carry on their own genes. If enough of a species does that it survives. If not, it doesn't.
Individuals do not procreate to carry on their own genes. At least, most humans do not consciously think "Imma have a baby so my genes will live on!" We have babies because we want one, or our biological clocks or ticking, or because Mom wants to be a grandma, or -often- because birth control is fallible and humans even more so. I would be surprised if even even a large minority of babies are made because their parents consciously thought "my genes must live on!"
__________________
Non ergo nothi tere vos usque.


Last edited by Magrat; 28th January 2019 at 03:17 PM.
Magrat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 04:03 PM   #312
Lithrael
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,464
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Of course, there are those people who insist they'd never go along with the Miligram experiments.
What kind of nonsense thing is this to say? Not even everybody IN the Milgram experiments went along with the Milgram experiments.
Lithrael is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 04:12 PM   #313
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing
 
Roboramma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 12,076
Originally Posted by Magrat View Post
Individuals do not procreate to carry on their own genes. At least, most humans do not consciously think "Imma have a baby so my genes will live on!" We have babies because we want one, or our biological clocks or ticking, or because Mom wants to be a grandma, or -often- because birth control is fallible and humans even more so. I would be surprised if even even a large minority of babies are made because their parents consciously thought "my genes must live on!"
That's exactly qayak's point.

People like having sex. The reason we like having sex is the people who didn't like sex, didn't have it.
__________________
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 04:58 PM   #314
Magrat
Mrs. Rincewind
 
Magrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Lancre Kingdom/Adirondack Mountain Region, NY
Posts: 4,181
Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
That's exactly qayak's point.

People like having sex. The reason we like having sex is the people who didn't like sex, didn't have it.
I am not certain where s/he said that, as I do not see that.
__________________
Non ergo nothi tere vos usque.

Magrat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 06:20 PM   #315
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,334
Originally Posted by Magrat View Post
Individuals do not procreate to carry on their own genes. At least, most humans do not consciously think "Imma have a baby so my genes will live on!"
What's "consciously" got to do with it.

Quote:
We have babies because we want one, or our biological clocks or ticking, or because Mom wants to be a grandma, or -often- because birth control is fallible and humans even more so.
There are a lot of justifications for actions we have already taken, or actions we will take anyway. You seem to think being human puts you above your biology.

Quote:
I would be surprised if even even a large minority of babies are made because their parents consciously thought "my genes must live on!"
I never said anyone thought about it. I said we evolved that way.
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 06:39 PM   #316
Magrat
Mrs. Rincewind
 
Magrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Lancre Kingdom/Adirondack Mountain Region, NY
Posts: 4,181
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
What's "consciously" got to do with it.



There are a lot of justifications for actions we have already taken, or actions we will take anyway. You seem to think being human puts you above your biology.



I never said anyone thought about it. I said we evolved that way.
So explain what any of this has to do with the thread topic then? Apparently I missed a turn at Albuquerque.
__________________
Non ergo nothi tere vos usque.

Magrat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 07:46 PM   #317
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,334
Originally Posted by Magrat View Post
So explain what any of this has to do with the thread topic then? Apparently I missed a turn at Albuquerque.

"What's up, Doc?"

It had as much to do with the thread topic as the post it was responding too.

I know little to nothing about you, so this may be something you already know: Ideas do not just pop out of thin air, they are a long process of all the things you do, and experience, in life. The more you ask someone to clarify, or explain, their ideas, the more off topic things go. I came in when things had already gone off topic, how you bring that back on topic in your own mind is up to you.
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."

Last edited by qayak; 28th January 2019 at 08:53 PM.
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 07:52 PM   #318
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,334
Originally Posted by Magrat View Post
I am not certain where s/he . . .
Really? How insensitive can you be? Don't try to stuff me into your little boxes. If you must refer to my gender please do so as "165 pounds of twisted steel and sex appeal!"

I expect you to remember that in the future.
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 07:56 PM   #319
Lithrael
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,464
Yeah, I'm not sure where 'humans mostly have a reproductive drive like whoa' ends up meaning 'you are wrong when you say you, personally, would not be guaranteed to end up hooking up with the last man on earth.'
Lithrael is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 08:05 PM   #320
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing
 
kellyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,069
Originally Posted by Lithrael View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure where 'humans mostly have a reproductive drive like whoa' ends up meaning 'you are wrong when you say you, personally, would not be guaranteed to end up hooking up with the last man on earth.'
It's on down yonder, at the corner of Contrarian Crossing and Arrogance Ave.
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts ~ Bertrand Russell
I am proud to say that Henry Kissinger is not my friend.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:15 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.