ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 30th January 2019, 02:23 AM   #1
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Blackface in Phoenix Restaurant?

Count on the always ready to be offended:

Quote:
A few weeks ago, I attended a holiday party at a downtown Phoenix restaurant. I walked around to view the photographs on the wall.

Then a photograph caught my attention.

Friends said, “It’s coal miners at a pub after work.” It was a photograph of coal miners with blackened faces. I asked a Latinx and white woman for their opinion. They said it looked like coal miners at a pub after work. Then they stepped back, frowned and said it’s men in blackface.
If you look at the photo in question, it is obviously of coal miners at a pub after work. There's a better quality image here.
Brainster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 02:54 AM   #2
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Count on the always ready to be offended:

If you look at the photo in question, it is obviously of coal miners at a pub after work. There's a better quality image here.
I'm really trying, but really struggling to see the point of this thread about an old photo
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 03:03 AM   #3
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Ahh

Might be a regional thing but only half the story loaded at first.

The bloke is guilty of just not seeing the bleedn obvious.

Not a hanging offence, but not one worthy of wasting time over
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 03:06 AM   #4
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Well the most obvious things are that Rashaad Thomas is ignorant, over-sensitive, and stupidly stubborn. Saying the miners' faces are covered in "soot" and not coal dust is the least of his errors, although it is symptomatic. Although he acknowledges that the photograph does in fact show coal miners, he still describes it as, "the photograph of men in blackface." So he gets offended by something that isn't what he first thinks it is, because it reminds him of something that it isn't, and refusing to back down.

Of course, there may be a question as to why a restaurant in Arizona has a photograph of Welsh coal miners on the wall, but since he doesn't identify the restaurant, there is no knowing if it's just a random out of place photograph, or one that fits in with an overall theme. It seems that Arizona does have a history of coal mining, which might explain it (although not using a Welsh photograph).

Last edited by Information Analyst; 30th January 2019 at 03:09 AM.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 03:14 AM   #5
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
Well the most obvious things are that Rashaad Thomas is ignorant, over-sensitive, and stupidly stubborn. Saying the miners' faces are covered in "soot" and not coal dust is the least of his errors, although it is symptomatic. Although he acknowledges that the photograph does in fact show coal miners, he still describes it as, "the photograph of men in blackface." So he gets offended by something that isn't what he first thinks it is, because it reminds him of something that it isn't, and refusing to back down.

Of course, there may be a question as to why a restaurant in Arizona has a photograph of Welsh coal miners on the wall, but since he doesn't identify the restaurant, there is no knowing if it's just a random out of place photograph, or one that fits in with an overall theme. It seems that Arizona does have a history of coal mining, which might explain it (although not using a Welsh photograph).
Plenty of imports in the US who have themed stuff

Know of a few kiwis who do kiwi styled cafes etc

Plenty of Irish pubs

Not hard to imagine a welsh person or even a US person setting up a Welsh style joint.

End of the day. Get over yourself (not you obviously, the writer)

Old 30th January 2019, 03:17 AM   #6
philkensebben
Illuminator

Did water not exist in 1910 with which to have a little wash before an after work beer?
philkensebben is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 03:18 AM   #7
baron
Philosopher

Slightly OT, I read Orwell's 'The Road to Wigan Pier' not long ago, focusing on the lives of working classes in the North of England between the wars, miners especially. These people were a different species, their physical endurance quite incredible. It's no exaggeration to say the fittest person today would have serious trouble in actually reaching the place the miners began work, let alone doing a full day's toil underground and making the journey back, then doing the same only hours later the next day, and the next, and the next.
Old 30th January 2019, 03:23 AM   #8
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by philkensebben View Post
Did water not exist in 1910 with which to have a little wash before an after work beer?
Considering half the people in the photo probably died about 30 years to early after crawling their **** off for about 2 km in tunnels to get to actually earn money for ten odd hours a day when they reached their destination under ground to mine and then back again, from black lung, I would think washing their faces was the least of their priorities

Old 30th January 2019, 03:26 AM   #9
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Sorry Baron

Missed your post

You are right. It was day after day after day

Old 30th January 2019, 03:31 AM   #10
baron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Considering half the people in the photo probably died about 30 years to early after crawling their **** off for about 2 km in tunnels to get to actually earn money for ten odd hours a day when they reached their destination under ground to mine and then back again, from black lung, I would think washing their faces was the least of their priorities
After some time the dirt became actually ingrained into the skin of these miners. Not to the extent shown in the photo, of course, but to the degree they always looked dirty even after having washed.
Old 30th January 2019, 03:31 AM   #11
fagin
Philosopher

My grandparents in the north of England only got an indoor bathroom in the early 1970's. (Council house)
Before that they had an outside toilet and bathed in a zinc tub in the kitchen.

It's fair to assume that a coal mine in 1910 didn't have the kind of ablution facilities we are used to now.
Old 30th January 2019, 03:35 AM   #12
philkensebben
Illuminator

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
My grandparents in the north of England only got an indoor bathroom in the early 1970's. (Council house)

It's fair to assume that a coal mine in 1910 didn't have the kind of ablution facilities we are used to now.
You know I realise people of 1910 didnt have quite the same priorities as we have now on hygiene, or indeed access to facilities, but I'd atleast of thought a trough of water might have existed between the mine and pub to simply wash hands and face in.
philkensebben is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 03:36 AM   #13
philkensebben
Illuminator

I still remember having to use an outside toilet in my first house in suburban Perth in 1980!
Old 30th January 2019, 03:37 AM   #14
Information Analyst
Philosopher

It was traditional for miners to go to the pub for a pint at the end of their shift, before going home to bathe. The first pithead bath in Wales wasn't opened until 1916, while the photograph dates from 1910.

Last edited by Information Analyst; 30th January 2019 at 03:39 AM.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 03:39 AM   #15
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by baron View Post
After some time the dirt became actually ingrained into the skin of these miners. Not to the extent shown in the photo, of course, but to the degree they always looked dirty even after having washed.
It's a funny one this stuff.to me

Hard to know whether to celebrate the pure butchiness (for want of a better made up word)

Just be shocked at the disgustingness (for want of a better made up word) of the whole thing by the people running it and those putting up with it.

Or a mix of the two.

Tend to go with the mix

Old 30th January 2019, 03:45 AM   #16
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Rather curiously, our 1911 terrace was built with an upstairs indoor toilet, but no bathroom. Like a lot of the other houses down the street, part of the large front bedroom was subsequently separated off as a bathroom (others simply converted the small rear bedroom), but the toilet is still at the rear.
Old 30th January 2019, 03:51 AM   #17
Hungry81
Master Poster

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
those ************* racists. Not content to merely go to a pub in blackface, they decided to go in blacklung as well.

Also the author is an idiot.

Last edited by Hungry81; 30th January 2019 at 03:53 AM.
Hungry81 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 04:20 AM   #18
newyorkguy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Count on the always ready to be offended...
Okay you were offended by this. Got it.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 06:11 AM   #19
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

That could be Mike Rowe after virtually any episode of Dirty Jobs. But especially the one about working in the coal mine.
Old 30th January 2019, 08:11 AM   #20
sadhatter
Philosopher

You know I realise people of 1910 didnt have quite the same priorities as we have now on hygiene, or indeed access to facilities, but I'd atleast of thought a trough of water might have existed between the mine and pub to simply wash hands and face in.
Guessing you are around your early twenties? Maybe younger?

If not you are the first person of my age or older that has that confused cat attitude about the past. " why didn't they just have better things/do things better".
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 08:16 AM   #21
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

You might want to look into the history of cleanliness and sanitation. It took humanity way too long to come around to how amazing and life prolonging an idea it was.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 09:16 AM   #22
philkensebben
Illuminator

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
Guessing you are around your early twenties? Maybe younger?

If not you are the first person of my age or older that has that confused cat attitude about the past. " why didn't they just have better things/do things better".
I'm in my 40's.

Wash your face man! Thats all I said!
Old 30th January 2019, 09:18 AM   #23
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

We're literally one stop away from people just making up stuff and going "Doesn't this just sound like the sort of the 'the other side' would get mad at? Don't you just want to sit here and think about how the other side would get mad at this and get all mad about it?"
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 09:21 AM   #24
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
We're literally one stop away from people just making up stuff and going "Doesn't this just sound like the sort of the 'the other side' would get mad at? Don't you just want to sit here and think about how the other side would get mad at this and get all mad about it?"
I think that's already going on, and has been for years.
Old 30th January 2019, 09:25 AM   #25
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I think that's already going on, and has been for years.
Well yeah that's functionally what the whole "I'M JUSTIFIED IN MY OUTRAGE AND A BETTER PERSON THAN YOU BECAUSE I TOOK THE TIME AND EFFORT TO FIND A RANDOM, ANONYMOUS INTERNET COMMENT THAT SAYS THE BAD THING!" is.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 09:32 AM   #26
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Well yeah that's functionally what the whole "I'M JUSTIFIED IN MY OUTRAGE AND A BETTER PERSON THAN YOU BECAUSE I TOOK THE TIME AND EFFORT TO FIND A RANDOM, ANONYMOUS INTERNET COMMENT THAT SAYS THE BAD THING!" is.
On reflection, I think people have always done that. The advance in civilization is that our stories are more genteel. These days we accuse our perceived enemies of saying stupid things, whereas a century ago we accused them of murdering babies as human sacrifices. Baby (nonsacrificial) steps!
Old 30th January 2019, 09:39 AM   #27
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Well that and the internet gives you the ability to find at least one token person making nearly any fool statement you can imagine.

Like when I was back arguing with Jabba and he tried to pull a "I found a website that agrees with me" tactic I literally made up a conspiracy theory out of whole cloth and that was purposely as stupid and nonsensical as I can imagine, that Adolf Hitler was born a woman.

30 seconds of Googling, and I found a Swiss Historian who has been trying to get the theory that Hitler was born a woman accepted for over 30 years.

You can't make up something so crazy that you can't find a website devoted to it.
Old 30th January 2019, 09:42 AM   #28
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Race grifter gets offended at a 100 year old photo.

Writes an opinion piece in a USA Today publication.
Old 30th January 2019, 12:13 PM   #29
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Race grifter gets offended at a foreign 100 year old photo.

Writes an opinion piece in a USA Today publication.
FTFY.
Old 30th January 2019, 12:32 PM   #30
bignickel
Mad Mod Poet God

Clickbaiters gonna get clicks.
"You can find that book everywhere and the risk is that many people who read it believe that those fairy tales are real. I think I have the responsibility to clear things up to unmask the cheap lies contained in books like that."
- Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone
bignickel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 12:33 PM   #31
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by bignickel View Post
Clickbaiters gonna get clicks.
Thank you for taking the bait
Old 30th January 2019, 12:52 PM   #32
mgidm86
Philosopher

Only read the OP, here is the problem:

Quote:
Friends said, “It’s coal miners at a pub after work.” It was a photograph of coal miners with blackened faces. I asked a Latinx and white woman for their opinion. They said it looked like coal miners at a pub after work. Then they stepped back, frowned and said it’s men in blackface.
Definitely ripe for offense.

Quote:
The operators of that downtown restaurant can choose to take the photograph down, leave it up or create a title card with an intention statement. No matter their decision, I think the photograph should be taken down — sacrificing one image for the greater good.

Yes, steaming liberals are fighting for the greater good. Thank gawd for your awesomeness, please tell me how to behave.

And thank you for admitting that for the true American SJW it's all about optics, not substance.
Old 30th January 2019, 01:17 PM   #33
fromdownunder
Philosopher

This guy better never watch the Step in Time sequence from Mary Poppins. 20 men (and a woman) in Blackface singing and dancing while two kids in blackface watch. It would make his head explode. Perhaps it should be cut from the Movie.

Norm

Last edited by fromdownunder; 30th January 2019 at 01:19 PM.
fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 01:25 PM   #34
bignickel
Mad Mod Poet God

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Thank you for taking the bait
Nefarious
"You can find that book everywhere and the risk is that many people who read it believe that those fairy tales are real. I think I have the responsibility to clear things up to unmask the cheap lies contained in books like that."
- Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone
bignickel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 01:34 PM   #35
carlitos
"más divertido"

The author could have learned something, but he was determined to teach something instead.
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 01:56 PM   #36
Whip
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
The author could have learned something, but he was determined to teach something instead.
Whip is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 02:27 PM   #37
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
FTFY.
Yeah, the author seemed to associate the picture with Arizona...

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 02:52 PM   #38
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Only read the OP, here is the problem:

Definitely ripe for offense.

Yes, steaming liberals are fighting for the greater good. Thank gawd for your awesomeness, please tell me how to behave.

And thank you for admitting that for the true American SJW it's all about optics, not substance.
It's been that way forever. About 20 years ago, the mayor of the city of Mesa, Arizona, tried to change the name of a local landmark from Spook Hill because it was racially insensitive. One problem: the hill got its name when settlers noticed that horses and cattle tended to avoid the area.

BTW, for those wondering why I found this noteworthy, first I live in Phoenix, and second I am pretty sure I know that downtown restaurant.
Brainster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 03:18 PM   #39
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

A working man's pub perchance? Were other pics showing how hard men work?

Looking at my genealogy of the many Lithuanians who came to America to work in the mines. I just read how one of the most progressive mines actually put in showers for the men, about 1920s. Ever listened to "16 tons" by Tennessee Ernie Ford? Or "Big John" by Jimmy Dean.

My bet that whoever started this debacle never worked up a sweat in his life. Even Mike Rowe knows that dirt sticks to sweat. And he's an opera singer.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 09:23 PM   #40
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

I don't get the looking-for-something-to-be-offended-by attitude. He starts off saying that the picture is of miners covered in coal dust(well, he says soot). The "Latinx" and the white woman also first see miners. They step back and say, "Oh, it's people in blackface?" Is that missing something? Did they "step back, realize they were talking to a black man with a puzzled look on his face and then say "Oh, it does look like people in black face."

At most, that's all that it should be. Maybe the restaurant could put a caption under the photo "Coal miners, Wales 1900, Covered In Coal Dust".

If you show an Asian a picture of someone pulling the corners of their eyes up so that they look "slant-eyed", most Asians would take offense. If you show an Asian a picture of a woman doing that because it helps remove crows' feet, they'd probably all be trying it themselves.

I think we have to be just a little bit rational, sometimes. I've seen numerous photos of mine workers who look very similar. You can Google "pictures, filthy coal miners" and about half the results are in various stages of "blackface".

And he admits this. His issue appears to be that since he, a black man, sees "people in black face" as an alternate explanation, they should cave to his sensitivities and remove the picture. And the teetotallers who object to the depiction of beer? We all know or know of someone deathly afraid of clowns. Mickey D needs to offer them alternate routes into the restaurant so they don't have to pass by that creepy Ronald statuette outside.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events