ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 30th January 2019, 09:34 PM   #41
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
We're literally one stop away from people just making up stuff and going "Doesn't this just sound like the sort of the 'the other side' would get mad at? Don't you just want to sit here and think about how the other side would get mad at this and get all mad about it?"
Triggered!!!!!!
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 10:30 PM   #42
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
A working man's pub perchance?
No, toxic masculinity.
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 10:42 PM   #43
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by qayak View Post
No, toxic masculinity.
Definitely toxic masculinity.

I think we all know the owner of the joint needs to watch the Gillette ad a few times to teach how he can improve himself
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 10:55 PM   #44
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Yes, steaming liberals are fighting for the greater good. Thank gawd for your awesomeness, please tell me how to behave.

And thank you for admitting that for the true American SJW it's all about optics, not substance.
“If people can't control their own emotions, then they have to start trying to control other people's behavior.”

― Robin Skynner
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 11:23 PM   #45
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
A working man's pub perchance? Were other pics showing how hard men work?
No, the place I'm thinking of was definitely a movers and shakers kind of lunch spot back in the '80s and '90s; I know it still exists, but not sure if the clientele is the same as it was back then. The pictures were varied; IIRC if there was a general theme it was drinking.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 11:42 PM   #46
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post
This guy better never watch the Step in Time sequence from Mary Poppins. 20 men (and a woman) in Blackface singing and dancing while two kids in blackface watch. It would make his head explode. Perhaps it should be cut from the Movie.

Norm
Did someone mention Mary Poppins?

Last edited by zooterkin; 31st January 2019 at 01:17 AM. Reason: Rule 5
Puppycow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 05:42 AM   #47
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
We all know or know of someone deathly afraid of clowns. Mickey D needs to offer them alternate routes into the restaurant so they don't have to pass by that creepy Ronald statuette outside.
To be fair, I don't think you need to be afraid of clowns to find Ronald creepy.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 06:11 AM   #48
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post

Betcha they didn’t black up for the 2018 remake. . .
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 07:16 AM   #49
Drewbot
Philosopher

A picture of coal miners, with coal on their face?!?

Complainer agrees that it is a photo of coal miners, but that he is still offended.

https://1010wins.radio.com/articles/...ners-blackface
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 07:46 AM   #50
Thermal
Philosopher

OK, so the issue here is that the author feels he is entitled to dictate the decor of businesses based on his personal feelings? Oh, god: what if a black person is waiting tables??? What kind of message is that sending???

#DictatorOfHowTheWorldShallAppear

So speaketh the Tumblr King
Old 31st January 2019, 02:47 PM   #51
Manger Douse
Thinker

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post

"We're being attacked by hottentots!" is pretty racist no?
Manger Douse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 09:59 PM   #52
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
A picture of coal miners, with coal on their face?!?

Complainer agrees that it is a photo of coal miners, but that he is still offended.

https://1010wins.radio.com/articles/...ners-blackface

The whole thing makes me think of this story on Snopes.

Quote:
The word 'picnic' originated with crowds gathering to witness lynchings.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/picnic-origin/

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 09:47 AM   #53
Flanh Flah
Scholar

Is it Cooperstown, Alice's Restaurant?
Flanh Flah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 09:54 AM   #54
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
On reflection, I think people have always done that. The advance in civilization is that our stories are more genteel. These days we accuse our perceived enemies of saying stupid things, whereas a century ago we accused them of murdering babies as human sacrifices. Baby (nonsacrificial) steps!
Problem is, we treat both as equally evil.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 09:57 AM   #55
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Race grifter gets offended at a 100 year old photo.

Writes an opinion piece in a USA Today publication.
Dude, it's been more than a week. Find a new word.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 09:58 AM   #56
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Only read the OP, here is the problem:

"I think the photograph should be taken down — sacrificing one image for the greater good."
The greater good.

Old 1st February 2019, 09:59 AM   #57
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Problem is, we treat both as equally evil.
And, for me at least, that's the problem. The Conservation of Outage.

When "Slavery" and "White People Wearing Dreadlocks" invoke the same emotional response from some people, what's the bloody point?

Everytime something doesn't go 100% one of the Tribe's way you get caterwauling about how "It's like we back in the 1800s."

It's even worse in politics. The sides have been demonizing each other for so long that when a real demon like Trump comes along the language has nowhere to go. Every thing said about Trump was said about Obama and Bush and Clinton and Bush and Reagan and the only difference is a "Okay but this time we mean it!"
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 10:02 AM   #58
Belz...
Fiend God

The Conservation of Outage.
I hate it when that happens. Let me watch my Youtube videos, dammit!

Quote:
When "Slavery" and "White People Wearing Dreadlocks" invoke the same emotional response from some people, what's the bloody point?

Everytime something doesn't go 100% one of the Tribe's way you get caterwauling about how "It's like we back in the 1800s."

It's even worse in politics. The sides have been demonizing each other for so long that when a real demon like Trump comes along the language has nowhere to go. Every thing said about Trump was said about Obama and Bush and Clinton and Bush and Reagan and the only difference is a "Okay but this time we mean it!"
Yep. What can I say? Humans suck.

Old 1st February 2019, 10:12 AM   #59
ahhell
Master Poster

We're literally one stop away from people just making up stuff and going "Doesn't this just sound like the sort of the 'the other side' would get mad at? Don't you just want to sit here and think about how the other side would get mad at this and get all mad about it?"
Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I think that's already going on, and has been for years.
Beat to it, we are definitely already in the, "I'm outraged that people are outraged about this thing I don't think they should be outraged about even though I don't really have evidence that anyone cares except this one dude on the internet!" era of civilization.

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
And he admits this. His issue appears to be that since he, a black man, sees "people in black face" as an alternate explanation, they should cave to his sensitivities and remove the picture. And the teetotallers who object to the depiction of beer? We all know or know of someone deathly afraid of clowns. Mickey D needs to offer them alternate routes into the restaurant so they don't have to pass by that creepy Ronald statuette outside.
I really have know idea how to respond to this guy. He seems to be saying, "I know its not blackface but it looks like blackface so it should be taken down or they are racists"? Maybe not racist but so incentive as to be unwelcoming to blackmen.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 10:14 AM   #60
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
I really have know idea how to respond to this guy.
I no.

Old 1st February 2019, 10:16 AM   #61
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Dude, it's been more than a week. Find a new word.
I'm actually liking the introduction of "grifter" to our political lexicon. I'm actually a little surprised that it wasn't already there from way back.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 10:17 AM   #62
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I'm actually liking the introduction of "grifter" to our political lexicon.
Not I. It's already become as useless as "fake news".

Old 1st February 2019, 10:44 AM   #63
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I'm actually liking the introduction of "grifter" to our political lexicon. I'm actually a little surprised that it wasn't already there from way back.
That makes two of you.

The rest anxiously await February's Gratuitous Word of the Month
Old 1st February 2019, 10:48 AM   #64
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
That makes two of you.

The rest anxiously await February's Gratuitous Word of the Month
'Can'tdidate', referring to anyone who suggests they should run for president in 2020 but who really, really should not.
Old 1st February 2019, 10:54 AM   #65
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

I thought a race grifter was someone who attaches the stalks of one variety of an Asian cereal crop to the roots of a different variety to improve its hardiness?
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 10:56 AM   #66
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

"Grifter" to me is a con-man (think that one Simpsons episode.) I'm not sure what context that works within race relations.

"Race Baiter" as over used and inflammatory as it was got the point it was trying to get across across.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 11:03 AM   #67
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

"Grifter" to me is a con-man (think that one Simpsons episode.) I'm not sure what context that works within race relations.

"Race Baiter" as over used and inflammatory as it was got the point it was trying to get across across.
In the case of supremacists, 'Master Race Baiters'.
Old 1st February 2019, 11:09 AM   #68
Whip
Graduate Poster

the grift currency is the outrage
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 12:26 PM   #69
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

They are conning people into being outraged over something that is BS. Think Al Sharpton and Tawana Brawley.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 12:41 PM   #70
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Is it OK for me to get outraged next time I see a made up circus clown? "Whiteface!!!"?

How about a hundred year old pic of some bakers? Didn't the Three Stooges do a scene in a bakery?

As a member of the white minority I'm feeling downtrodden. They still make fun of my ethnic group on TV- seen Fam? EVERYBODY is smarter, more well balanced than the Dad. Just because we are in whiteface doesn't make us clowns.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 01:23 PM   #71
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

I don't believe this article is written in good faith. Nobody is this precious. This is cynical pot-stirring.
Old 1st February 2019, 01:48 PM   #72
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
They are conning people into being outraged over something that is BS. Think Al Sharpton and Tawana Brawley.
Not exactly. They are conning people into thinking the other side is outraged over something that is BS.

The internet is a big place full of anonymous people operating mostly on the Id level. As is being noted but ignored across multiple threads you can find any wild, outrageous opinion online. It's meaningless.

This isn't pot stirrer. This is ego feeding.
Old 1st February 2019, 02:11 PM   #73
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I don't believe this article is written in good faith. Nobody is this precious. This is cynical pot-stirring.
What really is confusing me is why would anyone running for president write an article like that? Even if they are running as a democrat. Has the left really lost the plot or what?

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 02:47 PM   #74
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/virginianpilot/s...44446183477248

That's blackface...

And a KKK outfit.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 06:50 PM   #75
Hungry81
Master Poster

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post

That's blackface...

And a KKK outfit.
On second viewing I think it is a statement about white islamic transgender coal miners who wear full burquas/niquab/ whatevers. Therefore it is exceedingly woke and regardless of what it actually depicts/is intended to depict, I say it is ok and should be enlarged, prominantly displayed on many walls and given a prestegious art prize. Do Nobels cover art?

Last edited by Hungry81; 1st February 2019 at 06:51 PM.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 08:05 PM   #76
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post

That's blackface...

And a KKK outfit.
That is pretty atrocious tbf
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 07:41 AM   #77
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
What really is confusing me is why would anyone running for president write an article like that? Even if they are running as a democrat. Has the left really lost the plot or what?
I missed something. Who is running for president related to this thread?

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2019, 12:27 AM   #78
Hungry81
Master Poster

This disgusting racisim is worldwide. look at these disgusting racist *********:

Last edited by Hungry81; 6th February 2019 at 12:34 AM.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2019, 04:46 AM   #79
Wolrab
Illuminator

Is it at all possible that the miners in tho OP pic might be relatives of the owners?
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2019, 11:14 AM   #80
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
I missed something. Who is running for president related to this thread?
Nobody. Just pointing out (sarcastically) that the author is just that: nobody. He is not representative of any group, since he is being railed by everyone.

And yet in the future we will get to hear about how liberals don't even want pictures of miners in pubs. Sigh.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events