ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 30th January 2019, 04:50 PM   #1
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Resolved: Jeremy Clarkson still a ****

Jeremy Clarkson accused of 'repulsive' homophobia over jokes about Sydney Jeep drivers

Quote:
Jeremy Clarkson and his former Top Gear co-hosts have been accused of making "repulsive" homophobic jokes on their new television series.

Clarkson has denied knowledge of any homophobic jokes on Twitter
British singer-songwriter and actor Will Young outlined his anger at the remarks made by the cast of The Grand Tour in a string of posts on Twitter, stating "you can be honest and funny without this ridiculous 'lad' ooh being gay and let's laugh about it mentality."

One of the remarks in question features Clarkson describing the Jeep Wrangler as being "bought by people who like cruising the streets of San Francisco and Key West and Brighton and Sydney".

Young, who was a guest on Top Gear, described the comments about the supposed sexuality of Jeep Wrangler drivers made on a recent episode of the program as "bigoted", "pathetic" and "homophobic".

He described the cast — which also features fellow former Top Gear co-hosts James May and Richard Hammond — as "obtuse, bigoted, immature babies of men".
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 05:03 PM   #2
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

That's how he makes his living...being an obnoxious "lad".
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 05:08 PM   #3
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Repulsive? Really?

On a scale of repulsiveness where 1 is mildly unpleasant and 100 is something that is actually repulsive, I will give this a solid 3, and an oh dear.
Old 30th January 2019, 05:49 PM   #4
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Is Key West supposedly gay? I took the joke to be about people buying SUVs for the Rugged Individualist / Raw Offroader image, then driving them in the city.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 06:19 PM   #5
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

One great thing about the new season is the lack of dirt dumb stupid and completely uninteresting "celebrities".
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 06:49 PM   #6
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
One great thing about the new season is the lack of dirt dumb stupid and completely uninteresting "celebrities".
I thought Joey from Friends had turned out to be smarter than anyone had realized and that he had been playing a character on that show the whole time.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 06:55 PM   #7
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Is Key West supposedly gay?
Yes, a mecca for LBGTQ. Of those it would be predominantly lesbian and gay.

Quote:
I took the joke to be about people buying SUVs for the Rugged Individualist / Raw Offroader image, then driving them in the city.
It wouldn't be a joke or funny if you told people they could drive a Jeep Wrangler both rough and in the city.
Old 30th January 2019, 07:09 PM   #8
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Re: Thread title. Is this supposed to be surprising to anyone?
Old 30th January 2019, 09:08 PM   #9
8enotto
Critical Thinker

Clarkson and crew have a certain irreverent style that many dislike. They have crossed the line of good taste but most times it is just humour.

I have watched other things done by Clarkson and Hammond like war documentaries that were excellent productions and a completely respectable manner all the way.
It's just a role they play for each format, fans of Top Gear and later Grand Tour kind of expect this humour.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 09:21 PM   #10
angrysoba
Philosophile

I would have to watch the segment to decide if it is...

A) funny
B) beyond the pale

I remember when everyone lost their **** about Clarkson saying all people on strike should be shot in the head in front of their families. Out of context it was outrageous but in context it was funny and not objectionable at all.

That said, punching the Irishman in the face was out of order, and calling a South-east Asian man a “slope” was wrong.

I think at this point though, people are often going to think the worst of Clarkson at any opportunity. He probably knows that o and knows how to remind people that they have a TV show.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 10:15 PM   #11
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
I would have to watch the segment to decide if it is...

A) funny

B) beyond the pale

I remember when everyone lost their **** about Clarkson saying all people on strike should be shot in the head in front of their families. Out of context it was outrageous but in context it was funny and not objectionable at all.

That said, punching the Irishman in the face was out of order, and calling a South-east Asian man a “slope” was wrong.

I think at this point though, people are often going to think the worst of Clarkson at any opportunity. He probably knows that o and knows how to remind people that they have a TV show.
If you want to know if he's just a harmless lad or a bully, just remember he will hit you if he feels like it and it's off camera.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 10:16 PM   #12
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

It's a shame, really, because Top Gear was a genuinely good show for the most part. It would have been better if Clarkson didn't have to be such a **** at every opportunity. I understand it's his character. He's usually not that bad when he's on QI. But he should have chosen to portray a different character.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 10:34 PM   #13
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
If you want to know if he's just a harmless lad or a bully, just remember he will hit you if he feels like it and it's off camera.
I would love it if he did. I could take Clarkson down without much trouble. But you are right that that is bullying behaviour.

Old 30th January 2019, 10:39 PM   #14
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Clarkson is a jerk, but old Will seems a bit over-sensitive
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 11:19 PM   #15
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

To be fair to Clarkson, people who drive Jeeps deserve all the abuse thrown at them.
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 11:21 PM   #16
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by qayak View Post
To be fair to Clarkson, people who drive Jeeps deserve all the abuse thrown at them.
But saying they are gay is not abuse, is it!

Old 31st January 2019, 01:31 AM   #17
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
But one time it was Piers Morgan who was the target, so he gets a bit of credit for that.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 02:01 AM   #18
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

IIRC it is Richard Hammond who points out to Clarkson that the Jeep Wrangler has a bit of a gay association, but Clarkson just shrugs his shoulders and shows he is not bothered. Clarkson makes the comment, but again, he is making it clear he is not bothered.

I am amazed that has attracted criticism, but the donkey shagging scene has not.
Old 31st January 2019, 02:35 AM   #19
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by qayak View Post
In a similar vein, I recall Nigel Havers saying (in an interview) that he loves Porsche sports cars, but he would never want to own one for fear of being associated the the kind of prats and posers who are usually seen driving them.

As for "bought by people who like cruising the streets of San Francisco and Key West and Brighton and Sydney", being homophobic? Really? I've always associated Key West with Hemingway, Ft Lauderdale, and the disappearance of Flight 19.
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 02:45 AM   #20
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
In a similar vein, I recall Nigel Havers saying (in an interview) that he loves Porsche sports cars, but he would never want to own one for fear of being associated the the kind of prats and posers who are usually seen driving them.

As for "bought by people who like cruising the streets of San Francisco and Key West and Brighton and Sydney", being homophobic? Really? I've always associated Key West with Hemingway, Ft Lauderdale, and the disappearance of Flight 19.

They had the radio playing "It's raining men" just in case you thought there was anything ambiguous about their statement.

BTW. I hate jeeps, but just because they are **** cars.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 03:02 AM   #21
3point14
Pi

They stereotyped the Jeep Wrangler as a car liked by gay men.

Is the offensive remark that gay men have no taste in cars?

I'm desperately trying to remember the offensive bits, someone remind me. Or is it simply the whole 'gay men buy this car' thing?
Old 31st January 2019, 03:16 AM   #22
baron
Philosopher

I don't like Clarkson and his goons on account of they turned an informative show about cars into a literal sitcom. The fact they makes jokes, some funny, most not, doesn't worsen my opinion of them one iota. When was the decree made that homosexuals are exempt from having jokes made about them?
Old 31st January 2019, 03:43 AM   #23
3point14
Pi

The thought occurs that I havne't seen the same column inches for the third series ot The Grand Tour as I did for the first two.

Seems to have a few more now. How terribly fortunate...
Old 31st January 2019, 04:03 AM   #24
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Clarkson is a bit of a tit. Events have overtaken him however and he's struggling to make it into the top 100 nobheads in the UK nowadays. Thank Brexit for that.
Old 31st January 2019, 04:11 AM   #25
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post

I'm desperately trying to remember the offensive bits, someone remind me. Or is it simply the whole 'gay men buy this car' thing?

It's one of the stories where they each pick a car, this time to drive through the wilderness of Columbia (the country). The hippy guy comes with a Fiat Panda 4x4, then Clarkson shows up with the Wrangler boasting how manly that is. Then someone mentions a poll that has the Jeep as a favorite car of homosexuals. Which is easy to find. Then the little guy shows up with one of those idiotic big wheel US pickup trucks. Through the episode we have Clarkson mentioning that the others "keep bringing it up" and he doesn't know why. Haha. People who find that offensive sure have to get their head examined. The (mildly amusing and interesting, but I fell asleep) Columbia adventure will continue next episode, btw - watch to stick it to this whiny celeb.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 04:14 AM   #26
3point14
Pi

Does it then follow that i'm not allowed to tell my mate that his MX5 (Miata for you colonial types ), is a hairdressers car?
Old 31st January 2019, 04:40 AM   #27
EHocking
Philosopher

No it’s the whole “gay as an insult thing”.
Oddly fitting thread considering the number of threads currently discussing toxic masculinity.

Clarkson is the walking embodiment of the concept.

ETA: an MX5 is a hairdresser’s car
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage

Last edited by EHocking; 31st January 2019 at 04:42 AM.
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 04:43 AM   #28
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
No it’s the whole “gay as an insult thing”.
I really didn't see it as that. It's more 'straight bloke in gay man's car'. It's the same as 'man U fan in Man City shirt', it's incongruous and therefore, possibly, funny.

I failed to see the 'gay is bad' in the piece. I admit, memory is fuzzy, but I certainly didn't read it as 'gay is bad' at any point, just 'Clarkson's in a gay man's car but he's straight'. Exactly like 'non-hairdresser in hairdressers car.

Quote:
Oddly fitting thread considering the number of threads currently discussing toxic masculinity.

Clarkson is the walking embodiment of the concept.
I don't see it (or rather, recall it) in this piece.
Old 31st January 2019, 05:14 AM   #29
fagin
Philosopher

Does it then follow that i'm not allowed to tell my mate that his MX5 (Miata for you colonial types ), is a hairdressers car?

ETA: an MX5 is a hairdresser’s car
I had an MX5, currently have an MGF. I'm happy to be a hairdresser if it's that much fun.

ps. I also have a Porsche and a Subaru, just to prove I'm a manly man. And it's not a Boxster.
Old 31st January 2019, 05:17 AM   #30
EHocking
Philosopher

I really didn't see it as that. It's more 'straight bloke in gay man's car'. It's the same as 'man U fan in Man City shirt', it's incongruous and therefore, possibly, funny.

I failed to see the 'gay is bad' in the piece. I admit, memory is fuzzy, but I certainly didn't read it as 'gay is bad' at any point, just 'Clarkson's in a gay man's car but he's straight'. Exactly like 'non-hairdresser in hairdressers car.
They go out of their way to set up these situations just so they can crowbar in their juvenile macho schtick.
The “slope” comment that they set up in the episode where “they” built their Bridge over the River Qwai, is a case in point.

Quote:
I don't see it (or rather, recall it) in this piece.
It is fairly obvious. Did you watch the rest of it? They, in their usual fashion, flog the whole gay thing to death.
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 05:19 AM   #31
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
I had an MX5, currently have an MGF. I'm happy to be a hairdresser if it's that much fun.

ps. I also have a Porsche and a Subaru, just to prove I'm a manly man. And it's not a Boxster.

For the record, I would have an MX5 tomorrow. If I didn't need more boot space, I would actually have one. It's an awesome car, it's just one that's stereotyped to be driven by hairdressers. Just as Jeep Wranglers are stereotypically driven by gay men. I'm not saying it's sophisticated humour, but I am saying I don't see the insult in pointing out that the image of the car someone is driving does not match the rest of their image and why that is.
Old 31st January 2019, 06:27 AM   #32
3point14
Pi

They go out of their way to set up these situations just so they can crowbar in their juvenile macho schtick.
The “slope” comment that they set up in the episode where “they” built their Bridge over the River Qwai, is a case in point.

It is fairly obvious. Did you watch the rest of it? They, in their usual fashion, flog the whole gay thing to death.

I watched the whole thing.

They flogged the gag to death, yes, just as they do every other single gag they ever do. Repetition is funny (and if you don't believe me, I can prove that to you).

The fact that they flogged a bad gag to death is neither here nor there, the question is if the gag is offensive in the first place. I really didn't notice that it was. I'd be interested in a transcript with the offensive bits highlighted.
Old 31st January 2019, 06:33 AM   #33
Mark F
Graduate Poster

As I recall Will Young and Clarkson got on so well when Young did Top Gear that it became the butt of jokes later on in that series.
Old 31st January 2019, 06:40 AM   #34
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Repetition is funny (and if you don't believe me, I can prove that to you).
Go on then.

(Lemon curry?)

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 06:49 AM   #35
Worm
Master Poster

For the record, I would have an MX5 tomorrow. If I didn't need more boot space, I would actually have one.
It may be a car for haridressers - as long as they are small hairdressers.

I actually looked at an MX5 at one point. Man that car is small. Absolutely no way I could fit in it. (i'm a big fella - 6'2" - but I'm no giant)

I ended up going with the Mini Coupé. Sports car performance, but tonnes of room inside and a decent boot. Shortly afterwards they stopped making them

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 07:01 AM   #36
fagin
Philosopher

I took a guy I worked with in NZ to pick up his car once (proper NZ bloke, drove a Holden HSV). He was so big the roof wouldn't go up. Didn't worry me, my roof only goes up if it's raining (and that's in the UK) but he's never let me forget how chilly he got.

He was probably secretly gay...
Old 31st January 2019, 07:39 AM   #37
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
But saying they are gay is not abuse, is it!
Only if you hate gay people.
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 07:47 AM   #38
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

If he's a mate, you should tell him often.

My neighbour had a Mustang GT but found it was too much car for him so his wife took it over and bought him an MX5.
Old 31st January 2019, 07:52 AM   #39
baron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
As I recall Will Young and Clarkson got on so well when Young did Top Gear that it became the butt of jokes later on in that series.
I see what you did there.
Old 31st January 2019, 07:55 AM   #40
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Go on then.

(Lemon curry?)

Dave

Good god, nobody was meant to take me up on the offer!!!

Although I do like the idea of this lemon curry you mention....

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events