ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 31st January 2019, 08:12 AM   #41
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
Good lord. They all have motors and wheels and they go places much faster than walking.

Six months into the zombie apocalypse, the desperate survivors will be talking about how the other guy's chainsaw is a model only favored by wimps, mutants, and people who stand near windows.
Old 31st January 2019, 08:15 AM   #42
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Good lord. They all have motors and wheels and they go places much faster than walking.
Well, we've established you're not the target audience.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 08:29 AM   #43
AJM8125
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

I didnít realize jeeps are gay. Iím in San Francisco nearly every day but I donít see a whole lot of jeeps - maybe thereís gay people in them. Should I ask?

Most of the gay people I know prefer European and Japanese luxury sedans, hybrids and Teslas. Then thereís this one rich dude who alternates between a 458 Italia, his McLaren 720S or whatever the sportbike he has - I canít tell what it is. Itís usually going by too fast.

Oh and one does not ďcruiseĒ the streets of SF, either in the driving or social sense of the word. One does sit in hopelessly gridlocked traffic, surrounded by hundreds upon hundreds ride sharing cars, you know, the ones that were going to solve all of our traffic congestion problems by getting cars off the roads. Iím not sure but there may be gay people using those too. I should probably ask about that as well?

The better you get, the harder you work.
AJM8125 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 08:35 AM   #44
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Most of the criticism of TG and now GT has been somewhat put on and smacks of being generated for publicity purposes and to get people to watch more, so they can be offended.
Old 31st January 2019, 09:06 AM   #45
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
Most of the criticism of TG and now GT has been somewhat put on and smacks of being generated for publicity purposes and to get people to watch more, so they can be offended.
Actually, it's the way Clarkson panders to that, most of all, that makes me think he's a ****.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 09:14 AM   #46
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Is Key West supposedly gay? I took the joke to be about people buying SUVs for the Rugged Individualist / Raw Offroader image, then driving them in the city.
If they meant that they would have said Melbourne, not Sydney, they know enough about Australia to get that stereotype right. In Melbourne they're commonly called Toorak Tractors after a posh inner suburb.
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 09:16 AM   #47
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Does it then follow that i'm not allowed to tell my mate that his MX5 (Miata for you colonial types ), is a hairdressers car?
I would have thought that's more a midlife crisis car
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 09:21 AM   #48
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by AJM8125 View Post
I didnít realize jeeps are gay. Iím in San Francisco nearly every day but I donít see a whole lot of jeeps - maybe thereís gay people in them. Should I ask?
Yeah, that is not a strong correlation in Texas either. Everyone owns Jeeps here.

Most gay men I know drive A4s or BMW 5 Series (depending on whether they use a blinker or not) but I get that those are more known as bankers cars in the UK.

And most Miatas I see are more less about hair prep and more about race prep. I love to see all the different roll bar setups.

But one thing does seem universal: Porsche's go with ********.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 09:34 AM   #49
wobs
Graduate Poster

On TG, I also recall Clarkson pointing out that a certain super car (probably Lamborghini) was driven by men who could stand closer to the porcelain than most men.

I've seen quite a few adverts for GT recently, which made me think "oh, is that still going?". Having never seen it.

Used to watch TG, but it was getting tired.
Old 31st January 2019, 10:06 AM   #50
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

The thought occurs that I havne't seen the same column inches for the third series ot The Grand Tour as I did for the first two.

Seems to have a few more now. How terribly fortunate...
Yeah. How surprising. Happens a lot to the "stars" who go with the money, for example take the money to do a series on Sky. They find they simply don't get the same amount of publicity, especially those that move from the BBC and the anti-BBC media inspired coverage disappears.
Old 31st January 2019, 11:00 AM   #51
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

For the record, I would have an MX5 tomorrow. If I didn't need more boot space, I would actually have one. It's an awesome car, it's just one that's stereotyped to be driven by hairdressers. Just as Jeep Wranglers are stereotypically driven by gay men. I'm not saying it's sophisticated humour, but I am saying I don't see the insult in pointing out that the image of the car someone is driving does not match the rest of their image and why that is.
In what way doesn't Clarkson's image match that of a gay man?
Old 31st January 2019, 11:08 AM   #52
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
In what way doesn't Clarkson's image match that of a gay man?
He has a wife and at least two children and, as far as I'm aware, isn't sexually attracted to men. (unless he's fantastically closeted, which I'm guessing he isn't.)

It's not the presenter that's being stereotyped, it's the car.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]

Last edited by 3point14; 31st January 2019 at 11:11 AM.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 11:13 AM   #53
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

IIRC it is Richard Hammond who points out to Clarkson that the Jeep Wrangler has a bit of a gay association, but Clarkson just shrugs his shoulders and shows he is not bothered. Clarkson makes the comment, but again, he is making it clear he is not bothered.

I am amazed that has attracted criticism, but the donkey shagging scene has not.
Yeah... this is people looking for a reason to be offended. Clarkson doesn't care that the Jeep Wrangler is associated with gay culture, he drove it anyways. Next, we'll hear how they've offended donkey *******. Yeah thats a real thing in Columbia apparently. If you don't like the antics of these 3 self-confessed idiots, watch something else, and don't subscribe to Amazon.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 11:15 AM   #54
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Is Key West supposedly gay? I took the joke to be about people buying SUVs for the Rugged Individualist / Raw Offroader image, then driving them in the city.
Yeah, I would have heard that as more of "Mall Rated" joke than a gay joke.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 11:17 AM   #55
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Damien Evans View Post
What kind of pathetic life has a Miata as its midlife crisis car?!
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 12:01 PM   #56
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by qayak View Post
You should see my midlife crisis car...

Old 31st January 2019, 12:08 PM   #57
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

The only person that I know who owns a Miata is a gay couple. It's their car #3 and it is always garaged unless they want to do a sunshine ride with the top down. These guys have nothing to do with hairdressing and mostly don't care very much about their personal vanity. Just humble regular dudes who love that car. The Miata is mint with very low miles.
Old 31st January 2019, 12:13 PM   #58
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Yes:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Equating cars to gender is as old as the hills of Sicily.

The Ford Mustang was originally intended to be a "secretary's car" and Carroll Shelby was brought in to butch it up.

ETA:

https://www.torquenews.com/106/how-c...s-ford-mustang

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus

Last edited by BStrong; 31st January 2019 at 12:15 PM.
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 12:23 PM   #59
baron

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
The only person that I know who owns a Miata is a gay couple. It's their car #3 and it is always garaged unless they want to do a sunshine ride with the top down.
I have to admit, if the topic wasn't gay owners the euphemisms currently in my head would not be there.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 12:24 PM   #60
Mark F
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by qayak View Post
Mine. Except my MLC Miata will have a roll cage and full race suspension on it.
Old 31st January 2019, 01:09 PM   #61
fagin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Damien Evans View Post
Mine was. I bought a motorcycle, realised I just didn't have the balls I had when I was 18, ended up blowing the motor, and bought an MX5. A nice original MK1 with manual everything.

Lovely car.

I decided mid life crisis are good fun and have had a number since then. MLCs anyway.
Old 31st January 2019, 01:30 PM   #62
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

He has a wife and at least two children and, as far as I'm aware, isn't sexually attracted to men. (unless he's fantastically closeted, which I'm guessing he isn't.)

It's not the presenter that's being stereotyped, it's the car.
It's actually both.
Old 31st January 2019, 02:59 PM   #63
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
Yeah... this is people looking for a reason to be offended. Clarkson doesn't care that the Jeep Wrangler is associated with gay culture, he drove it anyways. Next, we'll hear how they've offended donkey *******. Yeah thats a real thing in Columbia apparently. If you don't like the antics of these 3 self-confessed idiots, watch something else, and don't subscribe to Amazon.

But I can still illegally download it ...right? That way I can watch it, enjoy being outraged by it and stick it to "The Man" all in one. Win,Win,Win!!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 05:37 PM   #64
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Mark F View Post

Old 31st January 2019, 07:48 PM   #65
xjx388
Philosopher

Cars have a direct correlation to sexuality now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 31st January 2019, 08:04 PM   #66
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
I'd put the money into an old RX3 or even into an RX7. The biggest problem with an MX5 is they don't have a Wankel.
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 03:05 AM   #67
3point14
Pi

It's actually both.

It isn't.

(Did you really think I was going to go where you tried to send me???)

Old 1st February 2019, 03:08 AM   #68
baron

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Cars have a direct correlation to sexuality now?
Sure. Mine's a straight six.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 03:22 AM   #69
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Everyone knows what Clarkson is like, many just watch him to be offended.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...larkson-amazon

"The schoolboy sniggering of The Grand Tour is catastrophically unfunny."

So don't watch it then.
Old 1st February 2019, 03:26 AM   #70
baron

Everyone knows what Clarkson is like, many just watch him to be offended.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...larkson-amazon

"The schoolboy sniggering of The Grand Tour is catastrophically unfunny."

So don't watch it then.
I think it works fine for what it is - a sitcom. If you like that kind of thing then watch it, if not, don't. I don't, but my problem is that it transitioned from a show about cars to a sitcom as if that sort of thing is natural or desirable. There are sill people out there who don't believe every word, action and 'hilariously unplanned event' is scripted up the kazoo.
Old 1st February 2019, 03:31 AM   #71
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
But one thing does seem universal: Porsche's go with ********.
Horsches? (Which is how I imagine Sean Connery says 'horses')

As for Clarkson, he either doesn't care that 'lol, that's gay' isn't as acceptable as it used to be, or he's doing it on purpose because it amuses him to see people take offense.
Either ignore him, or make him the butt of the joke. Telling him he's a naughty boy would sooner give him a hardon than make him change his ways.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 03:42 AM   #72
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

It isn't.

(Did you really think I was going to go where you tried to send me???)
Oh yes it is. Unless there is an actual "gay" car and a "gay" image then both were lazy stereotypes.
Old 1st February 2019, 03:51 AM   #73
3point14
Pi

Oh yes it is. Unless there is an actual "gay" car and a "gay" image then both were lazy stereotypes.

I don't think it's de facto offensive to indulge in stereotyping a car as being driven by a particular subset of individuals.

BMW drivers doin't indicate, Merc drivers don't know what size their car is, Jag drivers are a bit Terry Thomas, Anyone male driving a big V8 is under endowed. And Jeep's are often driven by gay men.

Clarkson, not being a gay man, driving a car that is seen to be traditionally driven by gay men is incongruous and therefore, to some, this is funny. I'm not telling you you have to find it funny, I'm not telling you that it's sophisticated humour. I just don't see the offense.

I'd be open to you explaining it to me though, I may have missed something.

Old 1st February 2019, 04:05 AM   #74
Tomtomkent
Philosopher

The bits where Hammond and May talk about what makes particular cars interesting is still enjoyable. The ďbanterĒ has moments that are funny, and moments that look like they are trying too hard to be complained about.

Clarkson trying to guess what LGBTQ meant was more horrifying than Hammondís bad jokes.

Never look up an E-book because this signature line told you. Especially not Dead Lament (ASIN: B00JEN1MWY). Or A Little Trouble (ASIN: B00GQFZZQW).
Tomtomkent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 04:43 AM   #75
elgarak
Illuminator

Quote:
He described the cast — which also features fellow former Top Gear co-hosts James May and Richard Hammond — as "obtuse, bigoted, immature babies of men".
1) I thought that was the point of their shows.
2) It's why I do not watch it, or get the appeal.
elgarak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 04:49 AM   #76
baron

Originally Posted by Tomtomkent View Post
The bits where Hammond and May talk about what makes particular cars interesting is still enjoyable. The ďbanterĒ has moments that are funny, and moments that look like they are trying too hard to be complained about.
That's the thing, though, there is no 'banter'. It's a script and the trio adhere to it as closely as any actor.
Old 1st February 2019, 04:55 AM   #77
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by baron View Post
That's the thing, though, there is no 'banter'. It's a script and the trio adhere to it as closely as any actor.

Is this supposition on your part or is there evidence?

Old 1st February 2019, 04:57 AM   #78
baron

Is this supposition on your part or is there evidence?
Both, although I honestly don't see how anybody needs the latter. I used to go out with someone who worked on shows like that (although not this particular one). Nothing is left to chance, absolutely nothing.
Old 1st February 2019, 05:00 AM   #79
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by baron View Post
Both, although I honestly don't see how anybody needs the latter.
Because, as much as you think you can read people perfectly, you might be wrong. I was intrigued to see if you were guessing or if you knew.

Quote:
I used to go out with someone who worked on shows like that (although not this particular one). Nothing is left to chance, absolutely nothing.

Everyone who seems to think it's rigidly scripted but I've seen no evidence to support that, just people guessing.

Old 1st February 2019, 05:19 AM   #80
baron

Because, as much as you think you can read people perfectly, you might be wrong. I was intrigued to see if you were guessing or if you knew.

Everyone who seems to think it's rigidly scripted but I've seen no evidence to support that, just people guessing.
That's because Clarkson and his mates are at the top of their game. They're very good at what they do. Like 'Never Mind the Buzzcocks' and 'Have I Got News for You'; people love the spontaneity, but these are rehearsed too. They're given the questions and topics before-hand, they sit around discussing their answers, work up their jokes, practice their interactions, etc. and whilst they don't learn a physical script it's the same thing. There are a lot of edits but what makes it to the screen is pre-planned and rarely off-the-cuff. When I say nothing is left to chance I don't mean every word is memorised, more that everybody knows exactly what the others will say, and every action - especially true in the case of TG - is planned, scrutinised, approved and choreographed. Hammond doesn't get set foot in that rocket propelled bathtub without knowing exactly which bush it will end up in.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events