ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 1st February 2019, 05:07 PM   #1
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 23,446
Another missing girl found, with a twist

A 14-year-old girl who went missing in Tennessee two weeks ago has been found in Wisconsin. But in a dramatic turn of events, the girl's adoptive father in Tennessee, Randall Pruitt, was charged with her rape.

Quote:
Randall Pruitt, who adopted the girl, was arrested Thursday in Tennessee and charged with rape, the sheriff said. "(The girl) would be the victim in that," Jones said.

The sheriff did not provide many details about the case in a news conference Thursday, but said there could be additional suspects.

"I'm having to be vague on all my statements because this is still an ongoing investigation," he said. "At this point, we are still investigating there's a possibility of multiple other charges coming forth with multiple people involved."
The girl disappeared from Madisonville, TN on January 13, but the search quickly became an interstate one when her cellphone pinged the next morning 130 miles away in Kentucky. She was found last night in Wisconsin, but police have thus far been vague as to where she exactly was found, how she had traveled there, and who she was with, other than to say that she was in good condition and had access to food and necessities, and that they believe she ran away intentionally. There's no word on whether whomever she was found with would be facing any legal actions.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 05:25 PM   #2
Thermal
Philosopher
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: NJ USA. We Don't Like You Either
Posts: 7,570
Was really hoping the twist would be fun and quirky. Perhaps the darker recesses of hell could warrant a more somber descriptor?
__________________
"Half of what he said meant something else, and the other half didn't mean anything at all" -Rosencrantz, on Hamlet
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 05:29 PM   #3
Whip
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,414
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 08:16 PM   #4
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 34,105
That doesn't seem like much of a twist, actually.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2019, 08:29 PM   #5
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,339
Girl runs away because of sexual abuse from a guardian.

Not particularly unusual or "twisty"
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 01:29 AM   #6
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 40,374
I'll be curious to hear the details of her "disappearance"(escape). Sounds like a friend/acquaintance knew what was going on and got her out of there. Maybe by contacting one of the various Runaway Hotlines. The minute sexual abuse gets into the conversation, there are groups that will help runaways find an exit if they're unable to stand up to the abuse any longer and unwilling to go to the authorities.
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 02:02 AM   #7
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 23,446
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Girl runs away because of sexual abuse from a guardian.

Not particularly unusual or "twisty"
Conceptually and in general, certainly not; but it does seem to me to be unusual that a missing persons case which makes national headlines ends with the police arresting the grieved parent who has been pleading on television for their missing child's safe return, and not arresting the person the child was eventually found with. I'm not saying there aren't any other such cases, but I'm struggling to recall any. To the best of my feeble recollection, when the custodial parent of a missing child ends up being arrested, it's usually on a murder charge.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 07:13 AM   #8
Bob001
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,640
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Conceptually and in general, certainly not; but it does seem to me to be unusual that a missing persons case which makes national headlines ends with the police arresting the grieved parent who has been pleading on television for their missing child's safe return, and not arresting the person the child was eventually found with. I'm not saying there aren't any other such cases, but I'm struggling to recall any. To the best of my feeble recollection, when the custodial parent of a missing child ends up being arrested, it's usually on a murder charge.
Chances are that in most cases if the child of an abuser ran away, the abuser wouldn't be so eager to attract police attention. And this was an adopted child; maybe he just saw her as his property and deserved to get her back.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 08:14 AM   #9
Magrat
Mrs. Rincewind
 
Magrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Lancre Kingdom/Adirondack Mountain Region, NY
Posts: 4,181
Wait, I'm confused. was she assaulted and then ran away, or did he snatch her and assault her?
__________________
Non ergo nothi tere vos usque.

Magrat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 10:36 AM   #10
Bob001
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,640
Originally Posted by Magrat View Post
Wait, I'm confused. was she assaulted and then ran away, or did he snatch her and assault her?
Read the story. She (allegedly) ran away from an abusive father, who has been arrested.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 10:38 AM   #11
Magrat
Mrs. Rincewind
 
Magrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Lancre Kingdom/Adirondack Mountain Region, NY
Posts: 4,181
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Read the story. She (allegedly) ran away from an abusive father, who has been arrested.
Ok, sorry, brain fart. That sucks. Poor kid.
__________________
Non ergo nothi tere vos usque.

Magrat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 11:51 AM   #12
casebro
Penultimate Amazing
 
casebro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,485
I wonder if her escort was her bio father? And is it another non-custodial parent making up stories?

Is there any physical evidence? Semen stained panties, vaginal swab? Or, high tech-ist is still a possibility, the genes of the harmless germs interchanged with sex. (My nieces had recurring UTIs, CPS made my brother get a sample taken. Talk about a long ways from Probable Cause. But it would be appropriate in this case)

eta: We'll probably never hear another word about his case. "Relieved of charges" is not sensational. We'll never know.
__________________
Great minds discuss ideas.
Medium minds discuss events.
Small minds spend all their time on U-Tube and Facebook.

Last edited by casebro; 2nd February 2019 at 11:53 AM.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 12:07 PM   #13
Bob001
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,640
Originally Posted by casebro View Post
I wonder if her escort was her bio father? And is it another non-custodial parent making up stories?

Is there any physical evidence? Semen stained panties, vaginal swab? Or, high tech-ist is still a possibility, the genes of the harmless germs interchanged with sex. (My nieces had recurring UTIs, CPS made my brother get a sample taken. Talk about a long ways from Probable Cause. But it would be appropriate in this case)

eta: We'll probably never hear another word about his case. "Relieved of charges" is not sensational. We'll never know.
Her own testimony is sufficient evidence to arrest him. There doesn't have to be physical evidence, nor is it likely that there would be in a case like this. And the police wouldn't arrest someone based on "stories" if the girl didn't support them herself.

Yeah, it might all turn out to be something else. But you seem a little eager to see this guy walk. Any reason?
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 12:31 PM   #14
Elagabalus
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 4,234
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Was really hoping the twist would be fun and quirky...
Something like this maybe?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ys/2698729002/
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 01:29 PM   #15
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 23,446
Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Bigfooters, predictably, are swooning over this case. And even some non-bigfooters; I accidentally got into a debate with someone who thought it honest-to-goodness completely plausible that a bear roaming in the middle of winter found and took care of this child for two days before leaving just in time for rescuers to find him completely alone.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 05:22 PM   #16
casebro
Penultimate Amazing
 
casebro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,485
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Her own testimony is sufficient evidence to arrest him. There doesn't have to be physical evidence, nor is it likely that there would be in a case like this. And the police wouldn't arrest someone based on "stories" if the girl didn't support them herself.

Yeah, it might all turn out to be something else. But you seem a little eager to see this guy walk. Any reason?
Do I seem more eager than the "String him UP!" posse?

It wouldn't be the first false rape allegation either.

Is there any follow up at all? How she got to Wyoming, who drove? How did the authorities find her? Is the Sheriff in Tennessee in need of a front page? Is he racially motivated (step dad wrong ethnicity?)
__________________
Great minds discuss ideas.
Medium minds discuss events.
Small minds spend all their time on U-Tube and Facebook.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 06:52 PM   #17
Venom
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 2,255
I wonder why human males do this and when did it begin.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2019, 07:33 PM   #18
novaphile
Quester of Doglets
Moderator
 
novaphile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,811
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I wonder why human males do this and when did it begin.
Sorry? I'm not understanding the question. Which part?
__________________
We would be better, and braver, to engage in enquiry, rather than indulge in the idle fancy, that we already know -- Plato.
novaphile is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2019, 02:37 AM   #19
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 23,446
Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Do I seem more eager than the "String him UP!" posse?
Do you realize that this thread is less than 20 posts long at this point and only has one page, so everyone can see all the posts and discern at a glance that there are none such as you describe here?

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Is there any follow up at all? How she got to Wyoming, who drove? How did the authorities find her?
The news of the arrest and the girl's being found broke yesterday. The investigation is currently in process.

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Is the Sheriff in Tennessee in need of a front page? Is he racially motivated (step dad wrong ethnicity?)
The sheriff of Monroe County, Tommy Jones, and the suspect, Randall Pruitt, are both white.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2019, 06:55 AM   #20
Bob001
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,640
More details. What a mess.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...?noredirect=on
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2019, 11:38 AM   #21
Elagabalus
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 4,234
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post

Creepy.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2019, 02:34 PM   #22
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 23,446
Quote:
He would help her, he said, but on one condition: She would need to record her rape on video and send it to him.

It was the only way he could avoid going to prison, he said.

“I know you don’t want to do it but I don’t exactly want to see your dad rape you either," he told the 14-year-old, according to messages later obtained by the FBI. “But we need clear video evidence.”
What a moron. The premise about risking jail for kidnapping or harboring a runaway sounds superficially understandable, but the reasoning that follows doesn't even make sense; how would receiving what basically amounts to child pornography "keep him out of prison"? He just gets hit for child porn now instead of kidnapping.

It certainly looks this guy, under the guise of "rescuing" her, intentionally exploited this rape victim's situation and request for help. I'm willing to be convinced that's not true, and that he really does just happen to be the stupidest bastard on God's green earth, but it'll take some work.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2019, 02:43 PM   #23
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.
 
Dr. Keith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 18,285
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
What a moron. The premise about risking jail for kidnapping or harboring a runaway sounds superficially understandable, but the reasoning that follows doesn't even make sense; how would receiving what basically amounts to child pornography "keep him out of prison"? He just gets hit for child porn now instead of kidnapping.

It certainly looks this guy, under the guise of "rescuing" her, intentionally exploited this rape victim's situation and request for help. I'm willing to be convinced that's not true, and that he really does just happen to be the stupidest bastard on God's green earth, but it'll take some work.
I have relatives who are just that dumb.

Ok, that's a bit of a fabrication. At least one or two are quite a bit dumber.

My wife laughs at me when I forget they are so dumb and then get caught off guard by their stupidity.
__________________
Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2019, 09:57 PM   #24
Bob001
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,640
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
.....
It certainly looks this guy, under the guise of "rescuing" her, intentionally exploited this rape victim's situation and request for help. I'm willing to be convinced that's not true, and that he really does just happen to be the stupidest bastard on God's green earth, but it'll take some work.
Well, she apparently tried to hide when the police showed up at his house, so she didn't feel he was hurting her, and he hasn't been charged with assaulting or kidnapping her, so maybe he really did think he was offering refuge. The fact that he drove 800 miles to pick up someone he only knew on the internet and who might not even have been a real person indicates that he was not a deep thinker. Obviously any normal person would just have called the local cops.

It's also weird what some people think they can do to immunize themselves from law enforcement, like asking "Are you a cop?" before selling them drugs. It wouldn't surprise me that this guy really believed he would be okay if he got proof of her story.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2019, 01:06 AM   #25
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 23,446
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Well, she apparently tried to hide when the police showed up at his house, so she didn't feel he was hurting her, and he hasn't been charged with assaulting or kidnapping her, so maybe he really did think he was offering refuge.
Sure, after essentially extorting a porn video out of her first, by dangling the prospect of rescue in front of her and then threatening to deny it and leave her in her situation if she didn't comply and produce the video for him. The excerpted text messages quoted in the Washington Post article make it clear she was under extreme distress when she agreed to do so and clearly didn't want to do it.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2019, 01:47 AM   #26
fromdownunder
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,392
It would have even make some sort of sense if he had told her to to film an event and take it to the local police. After all, she was not in lockdown. That saves him a huge drive across the country and achieves the same result without involving himself. And of course saved him from an inevitable prison sentence.


I really don't know what either of them thought they were doing.



Norm
__________________
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in Vain


fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2019, 09:45 PM   #27
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist
 
luchog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 15,359
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Conceptually and in general, certainly not; but it does seem to me to be unusual that a missing persons case which makes national headlines ends with the police arresting the grieved parent who has been pleading on television for their missing child's safe return, and not arresting the person the child was eventually found with.
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Chances are that in most cases if the child of an abuser ran away, the abuser wouldn't be so eager to attract police attention.

You'd think that, but no, abusers very often are not that smart, and almost as often don't really think they've done anything wrong.

Quote:
And this was an adopted child; maybe he just saw her as his property and deserved to get her back.

Well, yeah, that's usually how abusers think.

Anyone who has been on social media for any time in the last dozen years at least has seen the various postings pop up for missing persons, requesting that everyone forward them around and report in if they've seen the person in question. All too often those are not real missing persons reports, they're abusers trying to track down their victims. I know of at least one that made the rounds that ended up with the abuser managing to tracking down his ex-girlfriend with the help of people on the Internet duped into thinking they were helping protect someone, and he ended up killing her.

I'm very wary about those things now.
__________________
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." -- Douglas Adams
"The absence of evidence might indeed not be evidence of absence, but it's a pretty good start." -- PhantomWolf
"Let's see the buggers figure that one out." - John Lennon
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2019, 12:57 AM   #28
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 85,717
Originally Posted by luchog View Post
You'd think that, but no, abusers very often are not that smart, and almost as often don't really think they've done anything wrong.









Well, yeah, that's usually how abusers think.



Anyone who has been on social media for any time in the last dozen years at least has seen the various postings pop up for missing persons, requesting that everyone forward them around and report in if they've seen the person in question. All too often those are not real missing persons reports, they're abusers trying to track down their victims. I know of at least one that made the rounds that ended up with the abuser managing to tracking down his ex-girlfriend with the help of people on the Internet duped into thinking they were helping protect someone, and he ended up killing her.



I'm very wary about those things now.
Luchog, have you any evidence to back up that missing people pleas are all too often sent by abusers? I'm genuinely shocked to read that.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2019, 01:31 PM   #29
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist
 
luchog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 15,359
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Luchog, have you any evidence to back up that missing people pleas are all too often sent by abusers? I'm genuinely shocked to read that.

I really don't want to go digging back through my old Facebook stuff to find the specific incident mentioned, but I did find these:

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a7731596.html
https://www.metro.se/artikel/secret-...on-facebook-xr
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...sing-children/
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/missin...facebook-tips/

Common sense says to check with the Missing Persons registry and police before forwarding or reporting on these social media person searches, especially if they've not already been reported to police.

There's also at least one case where social media users have spread a video of a child being sexually abused, as part of one of these missing child pleas.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/social...d-abuse-video/

And, of course, it's well-known that abusers and stalkers use social media to track and harass their victims.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/lifes...228-story.html
__________________
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." -- Douglas Adams
"The absence of evidence might indeed not be evidence of absence, but it's a pretty good start." -- PhantomWolf
"Let's see the buggers figure that one out." - John Lennon
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2019, 02:45 PM   #30
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 23,446
For what it's worth, when re-reading the original articles I note that it was the guy's wife who actually determined the girl was missing. I think it's most likely that she's the one who called the police to report it, rather than the husband; and if that's the case then the husband's concern-acting was likely not a positive attempt at manipulating law enforcement to regain control over his victim, so much as having no choice at that point except to play along as "devastated parent" because the situation had already spun completely out of his control.

I think he probably realized once his wife told him the girl was missing that he was essentially doomed, and had just been trying to allay suspicion as long as possible out of a dim hope that he might get lucky.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2019, 01:15 PM   #31
wasapi
Philosopher
 
wasapi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,748
This poor girl has no idea who to trust. Those adults all did so much damage. I only hope she gets enough help thru therapy, and learning how to cope with PDST, that she will heal some.
__________________
Julia
wasapi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2019, 02:24 PM   #32
novaphile
Quester of Doglets
Moderator
 
novaphile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,811
Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
This poor girl has no idea who to trust. Those adults all did so much damage. I only hope she gets enough help thru therapy, and learning how to cope with PDST, that she will heal some.
PTSD?
__________________
We would be better, and braver, to engage in enquiry, rather than indulge in the idle fancy, that we already know -- Plato.
novaphile is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2019, 02:28 PM   #33
wasapi
Philosopher
 
wasapi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,748
Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
PTSD?

So sorry. Yes, of course, PTSD! Thanks.
__________________
Julia
wasapi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:52 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.