ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 7th February 2019, 10:52 AM   #1
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Posing "provactively" whilst wearing an Scottish Association Football shirt...

BBC News: JD Sports removes Scotland kit photo after sexism row

"Scotland's official football kit retailer has removed a suggestive photo advertising women's football strips after a father complained.

JD Sports came under fire after using a model with ripped jeans, posing provocatively, to sell the female version of the official shirt.

Pictures of the men's and children's versions were presented in a more traditional standing pose.

The Scottish FA asked JD Sports to remove the image and it did.

Both the retailer and the SFA apologised "for any upset caused"."

Seems remarkable that nobody realised this would happen before the photos went live.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2019, 11:07 AM   #2
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Association Football??!!

"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2019, 11:58 AM   #3
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Association Football??!!

To avoid confusion. It hurt. Honestly.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2019, 12:00 PM   #4
Guybrush Threepwood
Trainee Pirate

Seems fair enough.
Guybrush Threepwood is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2019, 01:21 PM   #5
baron

Quote:
"So please explain why the official seller @JDSports has presented the boys and men as athletes, yet the female model is more "traditional" #everydaysexism ."
Athletes? The guy's standing there like he's going to start a fight and the boy looks like he inadvertently wandered into camera shot. The only athletic pose is the woman's, and very nice it is too.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2019, 01:28 PM   #6
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

THAT is provocative? Maybe for Scotland? It's not even an up-kilt.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2019, 01:31 PM   #7
baron

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
THAT is provocative? Maybe for Scotland?
Not Scotland, just for one virtue signalling wet Scottish sausage.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2019, 01:46 PM   #8
Drewbot
Philosopher

Where can my wife buy those jeans she was wearing? and can I get her a jersey that would make her look like that girl?
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2019, 02:56 PM   #9
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Where can my wife buy those jeans she was wearing? and can I get her a jersey that would make her look like that girl?
And so advertising claims another victim....
Old 7th February 2019, 03:15 PM   #10
angrysoba
Philosophile

They are getting rid of the only good photo! The guy looks like his arms would snap off even if he is only playing association football.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2019, 03:21 PM   #11
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Next to the guy and the kid, the gal looks stupid. If that's supposed to get you to buy a shirt they should have at least balanced the theme, make the guy and gal both sexy (the crotch is unnecessary) and put the kid ad on a different page or something.
Old 7th February 2019, 06:10 PM   #12
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Association Football??!!

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
To avoid confusion. It hurt. Honestly.
Some kind of British in-joke?

I realize that Brits call it football and Americans call it soccer, but who actually calls it "association football"?
Old 7th February 2019, 06:13 PM   #13
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post

I realize that Brits call it football and Americans call it soccer, but who actually calls it "association football"?
That is the “official” name of the sport.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2019, 08:38 PM   #14
mcb77
Scholar

I'm going to hazard a guess that the guy that complained doesn't go to any Scotland games because if he did he should be used to seeing fannies. We usually have 11 of them on the pitch and a few more in the dugout.

Also i'm betting he's not an Ayr United fan.
Old 7th February 2019, 08:45 PM   #15
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

What I would say is only one of the 3 photos isn't boring and 80's clothes catalogue photo as bat ****.

Not sure what the fuss is about, but I assume it is really really sexist, that the girl got the original and not boring photographer.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2019, 08:47 AM   #16
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Next to the guy and the kid, the gal looks stupid. If that's supposed to get you to buy a shirt they should have at least balanced the theme, make the guy and gal both sexy (the crotch is unnecessary) and put the kid ad on a different page or something.
I doubt if it really matters who models football shirts, as the people who buy and wear them will do so regardless of who is modelling it. You could literally staple a football shirt to a tree and the same people will go out and buy it all the same.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2019, 09:10 AM   #17
Information Analyst
Philosopher

What do you think "soccer" is derived from?
Old 8th February 2019, 09:15 AM   #18
autumn1971
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
What do you think "soccer" is derived from?
Most Americans are surprised to learn that soccer is a UK term.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2019, 09:16 AM   #19
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
I doubt if it really matters who models football shirts, as the people who buy and wear them will do so regardless of who is modelling it. You could literally staple a football shirt to a tree and the same people will go out and buy it all the same.
But they'd buy more shirts if they were stapled to a sexier tree. Pine, oak, or elder? Meh. Willow? Getting warmer. Palm, baobab, or linden? Oh my! That's wood, baby!
Old 8th February 2019, 09:20 AM   #20
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
But they'd buy more shirts if they were stapled to a sexier tree. Pine, oak, or elder? Meh. Willow? Getting warmer. Palm, baobab, or linden? Oh my! That's wood, baby!
I personally prefer a good, solid Oak. They make you feel so safe, like a manly, wise man, in a cardigan, with a gym membership and an interest in sailing. He really listens to what you have to say, y'know? Really listens, mostly because he has to, cos he's a tree and he can't run away.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2019, 09:22 AM   #21
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I personally prefer a good, solid Oak. They make you feel so safe, like a manly, wise man, in a cardigan, with a gym membership and an interest in sailing. He really listens to what you have to say, y'know? Really listens, mostly because he has to, cos he's a tree and he can't run away.
An oak joke is acorny thing.
Old 8th February 2019, 09:22 AM   #22
ahhell
Master Poster

Soccer used to the common English language name for "English Association Football" until English imperialist somehow convinced the rest of the world that their version of football was the only football and started calling it just football.

Ironically, its only a few of their former colonies where English is the common language that football still means the local version. Ireland, Australia, and the United States.

As a firm anti-monarchist and ant-imperialist, I will only refer the sport as English Association Football.

In less consequential matters, I was expecting to be underwhelmed by the actual photo, it was pretty egregious. A teen boy spoiling for a fight, a pre-teen boy smiling openly, and an adult women in photo that could be the first shot in playboy pictorial spread. Its noticeable.

Last edited by ahhell; 8th February 2019 at 09:24 AM.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2019, 09:23 AM   #23
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Shouldn't you guys be packing to leave the EU? You have time for this sort of non-story. Breaking News: Someone complained. Someone reacted. Some pearl clutchers are gonna be upset. Tape at 11.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2019, 09:26 AM   #24
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Shouldn't you guys be packing to leave the EU? You have time for this sort of non-story. Breaking News: Someone complained. Someone reacted. Some pearl clutchers are gonna be upset. Tape at 11.
This entire forum is a you have time to post 10,000 comments about this? kinda forum, tbf. The SIACE section is a prime example of people having way too much time to post way too many comments about subjects that are mostly meh.

Old 8th February 2019, 09:29 AM   #25
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
In less consequential matters, I was expecting to be underwhelmed by the actual photo, it was pretty egregious. A teen boy spoiling for a fight, a pre-teen boy smiling openly, and an adult women in photo that could be the first shot in playboy pictorial spread. Its noticeable.
The two male models are clearly Millwall fans, if you look closely, the larger one is concealing a Stanley knife and a distrust of effeminate men.

Old 8th February 2019, 09:36 AM   #26
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
An oak joke is acorny thing.
Treemendous!

Old 8th February 2019, 10:04 AM   #27
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

The Scottish Football Association website;

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scotland/shop/

The men look serious and glum, the woman is smiling and happy. Is that not sexist? Give us a smile darling!

Awa an boil yer head ya fannies.
Old 8th February 2019, 10:08 AM   #28
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
The men look serious and glum, the woman is smiling and happy.
That's because only the men are football fans.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2019, 10:10 AM   #29
autumn1971
Master Poster

The Scottish Football Association website;

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scotland/shop/

The men look serious and glum, the woman is smiling and happy. Is that not sexist? Give us a smile darling!

Awa an boil yer head ya fannies.
Just want to say there’s an American who loves dirty words from over the pond. My favorite, as a euphemism for “fanny,” is “front-bum.”

Also footy and stuff.
Balls
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2019, 10:25 AM   #30
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
That's because only the men are football fans.

Dave
Its because the men's team are rubbish, but the women are doing quite well.
Old 8th February 2019, 10:26 AM   #31
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
Just want to say there’s an American who loves dirty words from over the pond. My favorite, as a euphemism for “fanny,” is “front-bum.”

Also footy and stuff.
Balls
The consternation I caused when I announced I could murder a fag. That was back when I smoked.
Old 8th February 2019, 10:27 AM   #32
baron

Goodness me. If we absolutely must mention those parts we don't use such vulgar phrases as 'front bum', we speak in sotto voce of the 'front bottom'. Or 'lady garden'.
Old 8th February 2019, 10:30 AM   #33
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by baron View Post
Goodness me. If we absolutely must mention those parts we don't use such vulgar phrases as 'front bum', we speak in sotto voce of the 'front bottom'. Or 'lady garden'.
Downtown vertical frown. If it's not a thing, it is now.

Old 8th February 2019, 10:55 AM   #34
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

At least they didn't try to make the kid look sexy.

Baby steps.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2019, 11:55 AM   #35
ahhell
Master Poster

I've heard front bum used un ironically, How is front bum less offensive than, well pretty much any other word for vagina?
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2019, 11:59 AM   #36
Elagabalus
Illuminator

The consternation I caused when I announced I could murder a fag. That was back when I smoked.
An English friend of mine went Stateside to visit his American cousins. During one conversation, he asked his cousin if he could "bum a fag?" "I don't know, it's your life" was the reply.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2019, 12:06 PM   #37
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
An English friend of mine went Stateside to visit his American cousins. During one conversation, he asked his cousin if he could "bum a fag?" "I don't know, it's your life" was the reply.
One of the strangest moments in my life was when I discovered a food item in the frozen section of a supermarket called Dr. Brain's Pork Faggots. As if a pork faggot wasn't grim enough, they got a fella called Dr. Brain to market them.

Old 8th February 2019, 12:14 PM   #38
Elagabalus
Illuminator

I've heard front bum used un ironically, How is front bum less offensive than, well pretty much any other word for vagina?
There it is. That ... that word again.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6oyiu8

Goto 17:45
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2019, 12:43 PM   #39
baron

One of the strangest moments in my life was when I discovered a food item in the frozen section of a supermarket called Dr. Brain's Pork Faggots. As if a pork faggot wasn't grim enough, they got a fella called Dr. Brain to market them.
I regularly came back from town with a couple of faggots when I was a student. You'd be surprised what you can find in the frozen aisle at your local Spar.
Old 8th February 2019, 12:44 PM   #40
Elagabalus
Illuminator

...In less consequential matters, I was expecting to be underwhelmed by the actual photo, it was pretty egregious. A teen boy spoiling for a fight, a pre-teen boy smiling openly, and an adult women in photo that could be the first shot in playboy pictorial spread. Its noticeable.
It's noticeable because Graphic Design-wise the photos should all be similar to each other. The other two are standing* while she is sitting. If she had her hands in the exact position but was standing it wouldn't be so noticeable.

*And of those two, one is on a white background and the other is on gray background!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events