ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 7th February 2019, 09:03 PM   #1
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Gucci "deeply apologises" for their balaclava looking like blackface

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle...ectid=12201863
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2019, 09:31 PM   #2
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Is that the stupidest clothing design you've ever seen or what? How did that get out of the design room? Or rather how did it get in the design room to start with?
Old 7th February 2019, 09:33 PM   #3
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Is that the stupidest clothing design you've ever seen or what? How did that get out of the design room? Or rather how did it get in the design room to start with?
Indeed, but there have been worse

I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2019, 09:46 PM   #4
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

But maybe that fashion is OK for gay men. They should have the right to dress like some women in fashion shows do without being judged.
Old 7th February 2019, 09:53 PM   #5
pharphis
Graduate Poster

Reminds me of Jynx's old design (scroll down)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jynx

I actually though the original design looked better.

That "sweater" on the other hand looks absurd
pharphis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2019, 11:29 PM   #6
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

And here is the context of the Balaclava (aka Ski Mask), even though as we know in cases like this 'context is irrelevant'...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balaclava_(clothing)

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2019, 11:29 PM   #7
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

It looks like those old Sambo caricatures...

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2019, 11:44 PM   #8
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Without the red lips it would probably be ok.
Old 7th February 2019, 11:50 PM   #9
Reactor drone
Graduate Poster

Someone probably thought it would be a bit of fun if you unroll the polo neck and have an amusing mouth hole with lips on it.
Reactor drone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2019, 11:50 PM   #10
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Probably. Still stupid, but not grossly offensive.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2019, 11:51 PM   #11
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post
And here is the context of the Balaclava (aka Ski Mask), even though as we know in cases like this 'context is irrelevant'...

Fixed the link for you, you put one parentheses outside the url code.
Old 8th February 2019, 12:38 AM   #12
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I agree.

Are we sure they aren't using the excuse of accidental blackface as a less embarrassing reason to delist it?
Old 8th February 2019, 12:39 AM   #13
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

But maybe that fashion is OK for gay men. They should have the right to dress like some women in fashion shows do without being judged.
Er, why for gay men? Why not for straight men?
Old 8th February 2019, 12:41 AM   #14
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Nah it would still look stupid.
Old 8th February 2019, 12:42 AM   #15
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Probably. Still stupid, but not grossly offensive.
I've heard they are extending the range, going to produce it in different colours, pink, yellow and light brown are planned....
Old 8th February 2019, 12:46 AM   #16
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

They should have just made the sweater cream coloured
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2019, 05:36 AM   #17
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

If it was dark green it would make a perfect Gumby.
Old 8th February 2019, 05:45 AM   #18
baron
Philosopher

I laughed so hard at the absurdity of that lunatic idea that some of the padding came loose from the thigh region of my Thom Brownes.

Old 8th February 2019, 05:49 AM   #19
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

The worst fashion statement I've seen is when Hennes had some concentration camp-style shirts.
Old 8th February 2019, 05:51 AM   #20
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by baron View Post
I laughed so hard at the absurdity of that lunatic idea that some of the padding came loose from the thigh region of my Thom Brownes.
That looks like something that Tommy Wiseau would wear. Or produce.
Old 8th February 2019, 05:55 AM   #21
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Oh, someone found something to be offended about again and someone else had to apologise. Wee!

Those are dreadful, but I'm pretty sure they weren't meant to mock black people. More like "Oh, let's put lips on those! Design!!!!"

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2019, 06:03 AM   #22
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

It was just three design elements (thick red lips, the color of the garment being black, and the turtleneck design putting the lips near the actual face of the person wearing it) that came together to create a final image could be considered problematic. Take away any part of that (or implement in even a slightly different way) and it would be a non-issue.

I very sincerely doubt there was any ill intent.

I mean it looks patently ridiculous, but that's par for the course for high fashion.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2019, 06:28 AM   #23
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

One of my Tumblr feeds is from an Haute Couture site, and it’s good for many laughs. Oddly, the really bizarre stuff seems to be reserved for the (supposed) male market....

You have to wonder if anyone actually buys this stuff... (Understanding that most “Haute” stuff is not intended to be sold but to create buzz for the label...)
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2019, 06:56 AM   #24
Armitage72
Master Poster

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post

My first thought when I saw it was Golliwog.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2019, 07:10 AM   #25
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Funny how a story about an Italian design company manages to put America front and center.

Anyway my (conspiracy?) theory is that like the Prada Sambo, this is an actual dog whistle. It's not fashion that's meant to be worn. It's a signal meant to reassure a certain demographic slice of the population that their unreconstructed views of other races are still tolerated. It's meant to subtly remind a certain kind of wealthy fashionista that this brand is still a safe and non judgemental place for their way of thinking.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2019, 07:20 AM   #26
ahhell
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post

What's the context for the big red lips that really do make look like :
Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Probably, it would still look odd but not like an old racist caricature. Pretty much any other color combination would have been fine stupid but not racist looking.
Originally Posted by baron View Post

https://i.imgur.com/4wF0rjD.jpg
That guy looks like an extra from the death bureaucracy of Beetlejuice.

Last edited by ahhell; 8th February 2019 at 07:21 AM.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2019, 08:12 AM   #27
baron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
The worst fashion statement I've seen is when Hennes had some concentration camp-style shirts.
I guess they came only in S.
Old 8th February 2019, 08:35 AM   #28
phunk
Illuminator

The most offensive thing about it is the price.
phunk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2019, 08:50 AM   #29
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

I haven't worn a balaclava since I was about ten. Who wears that ******

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2019, 09:03 AM   #30
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Lads round my ways have taken to wearing their hair in a perm, all they're missing is a blue rinse and they'd be able to change their name to Bettie and would probably become quite skilled in the art of hot-pot making.

If it's not a perm, then they have long hair, wear Converse, have tattoos, beards, ripped jeans, yet they listen to Drake. I don't understand fashion any more than I understand quantum mechanics. Don't even get me started on the ladies...

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2019, 12:41 PM   #31
Fizil
Muse

I was ready to get all annoyed about people being oversensitive, but damn! Who the hell thought that design was a good idea. Even if it didn't immediately evoke the caricature of black lips, which it totally does, it looks awful.

As a side note, is that even a balaclava? I thought a balaclava was a full head cover mask with holes for the eyes and/or nose and/or mouth, or one hole for the entire face. I've never seen a balaclava that just covered the area below the nose.

edit: apparently it is advertised as a sweater, not a balaclava. Of course I've never seen a sweater like that either, but that at least makes more sense.

Last edited by Fizil; 8th February 2019 at 12:42 PM.
Fizil is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2019, 05:49 AM   #32
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Fizil View Post
I was ready to get all annoyed about people being oversensitive, but damn! Who the hell thought that design was a good idea. Even if it didn't immediately evoke the caricature of black lips, which it totally does, it looks awful.

As a side note, is that even a balaclava? I thought a balaclava was a full head cover mask with holes for the eyes and/or nose and/or mouth, or one hole for the entire face. I've never seen a balaclava that just covered the area below the nose.

edit: apparently it is advertised as a sweater, not a balaclava. Of course I've never seen a sweater like that either, but that at least makes more sense.
People will wear almost anything if they think it's what other people are wearing.

A case in point is how things like long hair are back in fashion in the UK among young people, whereas a good 16 years ago kids would get picked on for having anything other than a shaved head or a short back and sides.

I'm convinced lads would start wearing leather bondage gear if they thought it was okay with everyone else. Fashion in the UK at the minute is all over the place, and I hate everyone for it.

Old 9th February 2019, 06:25 AM   #33
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
You have to wonder if anyone actually buys this stuff... (Understanding that most “Haute” stuff is not intended to be sold but to create buzz for the label...)
Yeah, most of the stuff that we see on the big runway shows that look ridiculous are not intended to be sold, but to serve as an inspiration for a more reasonable line with certain style points carried over, and some of it is just straight up wearable art.

It's easy to look at fashion shows and laugh at the fashions for how ridiculous they look with no consideration what the actual final product for sale (if any) looks like.

Also, much of what we consider ridiculous looking wouldn't look so ridiculous if it was more common. I'd think someone walking around in a big hoop skirt like something out of Gone With The Wind to be ridiculous, but back then, that was fashionable and normal.

Last edited by bonzombiekitty; 9th February 2019 at 06:27 AM.
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2019, 08:44 AM   #34
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Indeed, but there have been worse

http://cdn.justluxe.com/articles/gal...333.jpg?comp=2
HAHAHAHA, oh my goodness.

That pic showed up fairly large for me, so I couldn't view the whole thing at once. There I am, scrolling down, "Hmm, well, the shirt is a little loud and busy, possibly some lace(?) there, but I really think cullennz is being too hard on - OH MY GOD THE LINGERIE AND COMBAT BOOTS WTF."
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2019, 09:18 AM   #35
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bonzombiekitty View Post
I'd think someone walking around in a big hoop skirt like something out of Gone With The Wind to be ridiculous, but back then, that was fashionable and normal.
Mostly, though, that would look ridiculous to people who weren't familiar with that style of historical dress. It was a bit like when I saw a picture of Lady Gaga during her Art Pop tour captioned as "one of her bizarre/outlandish outfits," or words to that effect. Being on that particular scene at the time, I recognised it as fairly standard rave/dance music clubwear, plastic neon dreads, fluffies, and all. It was the one outfit she wore in the show (which I'd seen the previous week) that wasn't really one of her own creations.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2019, 09:27 AM   #36
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I don't think anyone is under any illusions that "High Fashion" is ever meant to worn outside of runaway. It's the fashion equivalent of a concept car, nobody ever expects to see that exact design on the road, just as a test bed for possible design elements to be used in more practical and traditional designs later.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2019, 10:50 AM   #37
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by isissxn View Post
HAHAHAHA, oh my goodness.

That pic showed up fairly large for me, so I couldn't view the whole thing at once. There I am, scrolling down, "Hmm, well, the shirt is a little loud and busy, possibly some lace(?) there, but I really think cullennz is being too hard on - OH MY GOD THE LINGERIE AND COMBAT BOOTS WTF."
All this designer really did was genderswitch the well-established "underwear and combat gear" trope in fantasy women's fashion.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2019, 12:35 PM   #38
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
All this designer really did was genderswitch the well-established "underwear and combat gear" trope in fantasy women's fashion.
That's a thing too?

I guess my only question would be why, but I'm just going to chalk it up to whatever the real life version of Rule 34 is. If you can imagine it, there is a bizarro fashion mash-up of it that includes lingerie.
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2019, 12:41 PM   #39
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
People will wear almost anything if they think it's what other people are wearing.

A case in point is how things like long hair are back in fashion in the UK among young people, whereas a good 16 years ago kids would get picked on for having anything other than a shaved head or a short back and sides.

I'm convinced lads would start wearing leather bondage gear if they thought it was okay with everyone else. Fashion in the UK at the minute is all over the place, and I hate everyone for it.
Doubt it, bondage gear is so punk.
Old 9th February 2019, 03:12 PM   #40
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Fizil View Post

-- snip --

People are oversensitive, you were right the first time.

Vaudeville performers didn't paint on red lips when doing blackface. Do black people have very red lips or something? Didn't think so.

The design is pretty stupid, but it's only offensive if you really want it to be, or if your friends think it is.

The racist reaction is really stupid.

Last edited by mgidm86; 9th February 2019 at 03:13 PM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events