ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags New Zealand incidents , transgender incidents , transgender issues

Old 9th December 2017, 05:46 PM   #161
Marcus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Hercules56 View Post
If I was a woman and was competing against a trans-woman in a sports event, I would feel cheated as the trans-woman would most likely have a physical advantage over me.

If I was a nation with few medals, I would put lots of trans-women onto my female Olympic track and field team so as to increase the odds of winning.
Or like Russia you could load the team with women tanked up on male hormones. I got a chuckle a few posts back when someone pointed you that some of the Russian women got so loaded up that they decided they were men, I didn't know that.
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2017, 05:50 PM   #162
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Couple of things with this case about advantage.

Apparently bone density reduction is not as given with hormone replacement therapy as people think

Muscle mass is obviously reduced

The other thing that I don't think has been mentioned is psychological advantage

She used to compete as a dude and was lifting heavier weights.

Ie She knows in her head she can do it when reaching winning levels. Less doubts. Psychological hurdles etc

That to me is probably as advantageous as most of the other things
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2017, 09:51 PM   #163
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
I'm a huge sports fan. Just as I am a huge art fan that prefers abstract art, I prefer abstract sport.
You have stated yourself you are self aware to know you often have the minority opinion. Keep that in mind when I say.

You are aware sport is a business right? They will not make money with your "moving for the sake of it" changes. If you like sports please hope no one ever listens to you.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2017, 10:25 PM   #164
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
You have stated yourself you are self aware to know you often have the minority opinion. Keep that in mind when I say.

You are aware sport is a business right? They will not make money with your "moving for the sake of it" changes. If you like sports please hope no one ever listens to you.
On the other hand there is something to be said for fights without weight classes. It's one of the great things about BJJ tournaments that they have the open weight division, which gives you things like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uJDZsmiWGU
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2017, 11:57 PM   #165
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
On the other hand there is something to be said for fights without weight classes. It's one of the great things about BJJ tournaments that they have the open weight division, which gives you things like this:

That's why all major fight clubs moved away from it?

Try again.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2017, 12:29 AM   #166
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

That's why all major fight clubs moved away from it?

Try again.
All major jiu jitsu competitions that I'm aware of have an absolute division.

I've competed in open weight many times. My record in my division is pretty good but while I've won matches in open weight against much larger opponents I've lost much more frequently. Size really does matter. My last open weight match was against Li Jingliang, maybe the best Chinese fighter in the UFC at the moment (I lost by 2 points, he outweighed me by more than 20kg).

I think there's a good argument to be made that it's overly dangerous in things like boxing and MMA where head trauma is involved.

It is true that a lot of guys in BJJ decide not to compete in absolute out of concerns related to injury, but striking based martial arts are different and have a different risk/reward calculation.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2017, 12:37 AM   #167
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I've competed in open weight many times. My record in my division is pretty good but while I've won matches in open weight against much larger opponents I've lost much more frequently. Size really does matter. My last open weight match was against Li Jingliang, maybe the best Chinese fighter in the UFC at the moment (I lost by 2 points, he outweighed me by more than 20kg).

I think there's a good argument to be made that it's overly dangerous in things like boxing and MMA where head trauma is involved.

It is true that a lot of guys in BJJ decide not to compete in absolute out of concerns related to injury, but striking based martial arts are different and have a different risk/reward calculation.
All staged though isn't it

[Laughs at own joke wind up and sneaks away] [/]
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2017, 12:43 AM   #168
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
This subject has been brought to a head in NZ by the inclusion of a trans woman in our weightlifting teams for the Commonwealth Games. Link: https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/opinio...t-of-the-world

She competed as a bloke until a few years ago when it occurred to him that under new rules he could compete as a shiela and actually win something he was actually a woman trapped in a man's body, despite having male DNA.

In these inclusionary times I find it interesting that the main group of people who openly agree with the thread title are Germaine Greer and other TERFs. (Trans Exclusionary Radical Feminists) How appropriate that the very women who empowered women in the '60s are now, in their 60s, disempowering women.

I have no problem with trans women and even worked on a trans-positive hiring strategy with a couple of large companies, but I cannot and will not accept that they are the same as women. They are most welcome to use women's bathrooms, go to women's jails and changing rooms, but they're not actually women, and can see why Greer and others feel the same.

They have a choice.

No, I'm not saying gender/sexuality is a choice, but it certainly can be, as the significant - but small - sample of trans reversals displays.
The “some of my best friends are trans women” was a nice touch as was the “has men’s DNA” pseudo-scientific essentialism. Casting aside the self reported motivations of a trans person and inserting a cynical greed driven one was a good platform.

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 10th December 2017 at 12:46 AM.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2017, 01:42 AM   #169
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Are there sports which forbid the regular use of drugs that boost estrogen levels to those of a genetic female and concurrently suppress testosterone production toward the same end?
Had a look at a couple of sporting bodies regulations and I'm now surprised more athletes don't get caught using non allowed drugs. It's really, really complicated. There are mentions of "sex" hormones and drugs that can increase the natural production, I don't know if they would detect or allow the use of the drugs many transpeople have to use. But if not they could be added.
Old 10th December 2017, 01:44 AM   #170
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Had a look at a couple of sporting bodies regulations and I'm now surprised more athletes don't get caught using non allowed drugs. It's really, really complicated. There are mentions of "sex" hormones and drugs that can increase the natural production, I don't know if they would detect or allow the use of the drugs many transpeople have to use. But if not they could be added.
The drugs trans women use would hamper performance, not enhance it. Why would they disallow those drugs?
Isaac Asimov
Old 10th December 2017, 02:22 AM   #171
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

The drugs trans women use would hamper performance, not enhance it. Why would they disallow those drugs?
They disallow many, many drugs and even treatments that have zero evidence that they improve a specific athlete's performance, the idea behind the tests appears to be to ensure that athletes take no drugs.
Old 10th December 2017, 08:31 AM   #172
sadhatter
Philosopher

Name me a league that can compete with pride or ufc for viewership. You know what I'm saying stop trying to try and street cred me out of a valid observation.
Old 10th December 2017, 08:34 AM   #173
sadhatter
Philosopher

Hamper but not erase advantage over biological women. You need to remember to keep that part in, or you are being very dishonest.

It would be like saying if the rock fought me while 4 drinks in he is hampered. Sure technically correct but he still has a massive advantage.
Old 10th December 2017, 08:40 AM   #174
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Name me a league that can compete with pride or ufc for viewership. You know what I'm saying stop trying to try and street cred me out of a valid observation.
I think I actually agreed with what I thought you were saying: that it makes sense for something like MMA or boxing to not only use weight classes but also not to have open weight classes. From my perspective the reason is that it's important for the safety of the athletes. I'm not sure if you have a different basis, but if you do I would be interested. If that's not what you are saying you can clarify I guess.

I do think that the original UFC, which had no weight classes, was important in the form that it took, but it has passed its time and there's no reason to go back there now.

When it comes to Jiu Jitsu, the IBJJF Worlds has an open weight class. As does ADCC. These are the biggest tournments in BJJ in the world, so if we are talking about jiu jitsu, which is what the video I linked to was, then I don't see what else you are looking for.
Isaac Asimov
Old 10th December 2017, 08:42 AM   #175
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Hamper but not erase advantage over biological women. You need to remember to keep that part in, or you are being very dishonest.

It would be like saying if the rock fought me while 4 drinks in he is hampered. Sure technically correct but he still has a massive advantage.
I think you think we disagree about things we disagree about. I certainly think trans women have an unfair advantage in at least many sports.

I don't think the solution is to disallow the drugs they are taking which only hamper and do not improve performance. The issue is not the hormone therapy. If they stopped taking them they would have an even greater advantage.
Isaac Asimov
Old 10th December 2017, 08:44 AM   #176
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

They disallow many, many drugs and even treatments that have zero evidence that they improve a specific athlete's performance, the idea behind the tests appears to be to ensure that athletes take no drugs.
No, that's not the idea behind the tests. There may be many drugs which are banned for invalid reasons, but there are also many other drugs which are not banned.
Isaac Asimov
Old 10th December 2017, 09:53 AM   #177
Marcus
Master Poster

Sumo doesn't have weight classes either. There are some tiny guys (under 300 pounds) in the top division (professional Sumo has 6 divisions) but it's unlikely any of them could ever make Yokozuna.
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2017, 10:03 AM   #178
sadhatter
Philosopher

I think you think we disagree about things we disagree about. I certainly think trans women have an unfair advantage in at least many sports.

I don't think the solution is to disallow the drugs they are taking which only hamper and do not improve performance. The issue is not the hormone therapy. If they stopped taking them they would have an even greater advantage.
They would hamper equal competition, but if your advantage is 50 per cent and you are sacrificing 30 per cent of it for drugs you still have an advantage.

I disagree with your presentation of the facts. So much so I feel it is dishonest. Whether we agree on how things should be done is irrelevant. A false statement is a false statement.
Old 10th December 2017, 12:00 PM   #179
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

No, that's not the idea behind the tests. There may be many drugs which are banned for invalid reasons, but there are also many other drugs which are not banned.
Not sure how you can conclude that given they ban many drugs which have no evidence of enhancement.
Old 10th December 2017, 12:07 PM   #180
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Not sure how you can conclude that given they ban many drugs which have no evidence of enhancement.
Which in particular were you thinking of

Not that I particularly disagree, just genuinely interested

Old 10th December 2017, 05:38 PM   #181
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

They would hamper equal competition, but if your advantage is 50 per cent and you are sacrificing 30 per cent of it for drugs you still have an advantage.
Yes.

Quote:
I disagree with your presentation of the facts. So much so I feel it is dishonest. Whether we agree on how things should be done is irrelevant. A false statement is a false statement.

Can you at least tell me what I'm being dishonest about? What "false statement" did I make?

Thanks.
Isaac Asimov
Old 10th December 2017, 05:54 PM   #182
Hercules56
Graduate Poster

Should trans-women be banned from female competitive sports?

They should on average hold a competitive edge, which many might say is unfair.
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2017, 07:01 PM   #183
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hercules56 View Post
Should trans-women be banned from female competitive sports?
I think so.

Quote:
They should on average hold a competitive edge, which many might say is unfair.
I agree.
Isaac Asimov
Old Yesterday, 02:12 PM   #184
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper

One could also argue that a Naturalized American Citizen is not the same as an actual American Citizen. Because you were not born in the United States, and in many cases, your first language was not English. Unlike actual American Born Citizens, you were born somewhere else, and then you came here, learned English, filed an Application and were given a document that says you are now a Citizen. But that will never change where you actually came from and your inherent cultural formation.

However, would you claim that Naturalized American Citizens should be revoked of their rights as Americans?

No. Because it's irrelevant whether or not they are, technically, still immigrants. They came here, they went through the process, and now they are American. So who cares? Just let them live their lives as American Citizens.

Likewise, we can present all the scientific arguments to why a Trans Woman will never be the same as an actual woman, but who cares? This is about giving them their rights to live and be treated as human beings. Besides, the last thing a Trans Woman wants to hear is someone tell them why they're not in fact the same as women. Trans Women already deal with a lot of intolerance, and what they need is to be accepted.

Not saying all of the people here arguing why Trans Women are not Women, are not being tolerant. Just that it doesn't advance the problem. This is a problem about inclusion, not scientific accuracy. Religion may be Scientifically inaccurate, but we still allow people to practice whatever Religions they want.

Carl Sagan
Ron_Tomkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:26 PM   #185
caveman1917
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ron_Tomkins View Post
Likewise, we can present all the scientific arguments to why a Trans Woman will never be the same as an actual woman, but who cares? This is about giving them their rights to live and be treated as human beings. Besides, the last thing a Trans Woman wants to hear is someone tell them why they're not in fact the same as women. Trans Women already deal with a lot of intolerance, and what they need is to be accepted.

Not saying all of the people here arguing why Trans Women are not Women, are not being tolerant. Just that it doesn't advance the problem. This is a problem about inclusion, not scientific accuracy. Religion may be Scientifically inaccurate, but we still allow people to practice whatever Religions they want.
Except that trans-women already have the right to live and be treated as human beings. The issue at hand is whether women-only sports competitions are required to include them. So the analogy would rather be something like universities being required to have religious young-earth-creationists teach physics and biology because not doing so would be infringing on religious freedom.
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin

Last edited by caveman1917; Yesterday at 02:28 PM.
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:23 PM   #186
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Which in particular were you thinking of

Not that I particularly disagree, just genuinely interested
The otc cold remedies for one.
Old Yesterday, 05:05 PM   #187
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

The otc cold remedies for one.
Pretty sure that's because of the stimulants.
Isaac Asimov
Old Yesterday, 05:10 PM   #188
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Yeah

It's the pseudoephedrine which is in any of them that are decent

http://bmjopensem.bmj.com/content/1/1/e000066

Old Yesterday, 06:57 PM   #189
Civet
Graduate Poster

Well I think Tyr made the point pretty solidly upthread that it's entirely possible to treat transwomen as women who have a physical condition that bars them from competing fairly with other women. Not every genetic woman gets to be an athlete. I suspect that it might make sense to treat transwomen who medically transitioned without ever going through male puberty the same as genetic females, but I'm not really savvy enough about the science to be sure.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:20 AM   #190
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Yeah

It's the pseudoephedrine which is in any of them that are decent

http://bmjopensem.bmj.com/content/1/1/e000066
As you can see with that example, no evidence.
Old Today, 08:21 AM   #191
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

As you can see with that example, no evidence.
That they don't have evidence doesn't mean that they don't believe that it enhances performance. They might even just think it might enhance performance and consider that reason enough to add it to the banned list.
Isaac Asimov
Old Today, 08:52 AM   #192
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper

Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
Except that trans-women already have the right to live and be treated as human beings. The issue at hand is whether women-only sports competitions are required to include them. So the analogy would rather be something like universities being required to have religious young-earth-creationists teach physics and biology because not doing so would be infringing on religious freedom.
Right. My bad. I wasn't following the thread, as I see it is focusing exclusively on the Sports Competition issue. Yeah, that one is different, and what you say is true. I mean, I don't know if you used the best analogy, but long story short, I agree that a Trans Woman has a series of physical advantages/differences from a woman when it comes to sports competition.

Carl Sagan
Ron_Tomkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:19 PM   #193
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
I am a man of the garden variety. My body and its hormones happen to be balanced such that I am not very muscular.
I'm the exact opposite and used to compete at fairly useful levels in strength sports, namely shot put and discus.

I've been having a think about this, and there not being too many 190 cm 100 kg shielas competing at masters level, I reckon I can put on a dress, gobble a few oestrogen tabs and set a few world records for women's masters.

Any money at that level?

Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
Who would watch?
Lots of guys.

The other thing that I don't think has been mentioned is psychological advantage
It hadn't, and it's an important and perceptive observation.

Why did you hack Cully's account?

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
The “some of my best friends are trans women” was a nice touch...
Not only did I not say that, I merely noted that I'd been involved in trans-positive recruitment programs.

... as was the “has men’s DNA” pseudo-scientific essentialism.
Pseudo-scientific? Do trans women not have XY chomosomes? Heck, I thought the oestrogen treatment only caused a few cosmetic changes, I wasn't aware it was acting at the molecular level as well. Does the get sucked back in and turns into a uterus?

Which neatly segues back to Germaine Greer's contention - that trans women don't have a uterus and therefore can't claim to be female, because they physically are not.

The fact that trans women are physically different to women born as women is a huge part of the argument. Some women seem to think so.

Casting aside the self reported motivations of a trans person and inserting a cynical greed driven one was a good platform.
Pity Randi took the mio down - you seem to be aware of what all trans women's motivations are.

One could also argue that a Naturalized American Citizen is not the same as an actual American Citizen.
Except it would be a really crappy analogy since there is no physical difference between the people, although I feel sorry for the American-born ones.

I don't see any reason why we can't be tolerant and disallow them woman status.

I'm not sure I understand why acceptance as a female is so important to them, and I absolutely don't believe it's important to all of them, because many choose to retain their penis.

This seems to speak to that point - 99.5% of all M2F surgeries were breast implants only and only 0.5% genital surgery: https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/mo...-but-its-not-w

Might it not be that the voices clamouring for total control over being female are just the usual squeaky wheels and that a wide majority of trans are happy just to be trans?
Old Today, 05:06 PM   #194
caveman1917
Philosopher

Right. My bad. I wasn't following the thread, as I see it is focusing exclusively on the Sports Competition issue. Yeah, that one is different, and what you say is true. I mean, I don't know if you used the best analogy, but long story short, I agree that a Trans Woman has a series of physical advantages/differences from a woman when it comes to sports competition.
Yes the analogy wasn't particularly good, I picked up on your analogy with religion and went with it, but you're right that my version didn't really come out that well.
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:23 PM   #195
Marcus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post

I don't see any reason why we can't be tolerant and disallow them woman status.

I'm not sure I understand why acceptance as a female is so important to them, and I absolutely don't believe it's important to all of them, because many choose to retain their penis.

This seems to speak to that point - 99.5% of all M2F surgeries were breast implants only and only 0.5% genital surgery: https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/mo...-but-its-not-w

Might it not be that the voices clamouring for total control over being female are just the usual squeaky wheels and that a wide majority of trans are happy just to be trans?
Bruce Jenner is the perfect example. Not only did he not have the surgery, he continues to have sex with women. Using his penis. Just dressing in womens clothes is not enough to make someone into a woman, at least by my definition.
Old Today, 05:46 PM   #196
caveman1917
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Just dressing in womens clothes is not enough to make someone into a woman, at least by my definition.
It's also deeply sexist, by pretending that women really are the sex stereotypes (long hair, make-up, dresses, ...) our society ascribes to them. If a white guy were to put on a blackface, blast rap music, generally act like a stereotype of a black person, and then says "and therefor I now really am a black person" we'd have no problem seeing it as racist.

ETA: not saying that trans-genders are inherently sexist or something, but that this particular reasoning form: "act like stereotype of woman therefor really woman" is sexist reasoning.

Last edited by caveman1917; Today at 05:58 PM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events