IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags adolf hitler , donald trump , Nazi comparisons

Old 28th June 2018, 11:03 AM   #161
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Case in point: this post was intended to be serious, but it isn't.
It was actually sarcasm pointing out intellectual dishonesty. So, as you say, "case in point". Thanks.
Old 28th June 2018, 12:45 PM   #162
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

But... but... but he called it!
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2018, 12:49 PM   #163
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
But... but... but he called it!
Shotgun!

There, now I've called it.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2018, 01:45 PM   #164
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
May as well run ads about "the democrat plantation", while they're at it - or Dolt 45's love of Puerto Rico.
I think Trump's real attitude toward Puerto Rico is best described by Mr.Sondheim lyrics to "America" from "West Side Story":

Puerto Rico, Land Of My Devotion,
Let It Sink Slowly Back Into The Ocean....

(yes, I know the context in the play is totally different, but my point still stands...

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2018, 03:34 PM   #165
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by beachnut View Post
Trump is not like Hitler. If Goebel was asked to leave a restaurant, the place would be burned down, and the owner murdered. Trump supporters will write fake reviews, and disrupt the restaurant that the propaganda minister was asked to leave. Trump supporters will also make hypocritical statements, and project much. ( but don't throw out the minister of propaganda, next time serve an empty plate. MoP says, "there is no food". Waiter, "cook says the food is there", Mop, "I don't see it", or something that matches the MoP modus operandi, or short sentences the MoP can understand? )

Trump is not like Hitler, the Germans kept better records and created an industry, they knew exactly where they sent kids, parents, and others they were cleansing. Trump has no clue. (Trump has no clue what or how a law is a law, Hitler needed no laws)

Trump is 'snot' like Hitler, Trump says there are good people on both sides - Hitler would kill the people on the other side.
But if done with solid production values and the right visuals and audio it could work. Just think an ad with Hitler standing over the people raising their hands, swearing to turn out to vote dissolving into the torchlight march in Charlottesville with the audio of the very fine people speech over the sound of goose-stepping Nazis. A brief stock video of a Jewish child in a ghetto dissolving over Trumps camps for kids. The association can be made and it can be made to stick. How many undecided voters still think Hillary took bribes over Uranium One?

That would be a really powerful image, Trump and his supporters raising their hands over the sound of jackboots on pavement.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2018, 05:47 PM   #166
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Old 29th June 2018, 01:43 AM   #167
Lurch
Master Poster

Actually, in one respect are Trump and Hitler alike. Both men think/thought they know more then the 'experts', preferring to run the show based on their divinely ordained superior gut instincts.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2018, 07:41 AM   #168
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Just a reminder, we already have a thread about Trump's Supreme Court nomination and it isn't this thread.
Old 29th June 2018, 09:33 AM   #169
G6000
Muse

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
That's a lie.
Trump's supporters have lots of problems. They're bringing the KKK. They're bringing the Nazis. They're racists. Some, I assume, are good people.
G6000 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2018, 04:38 PM   #170
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
... their divinely ordained superior gut instincts.
You've got that slightly wrong.

I'm sure Hitler did genuinely believe his god was on his side. (At least at the start)

Trump's only god is himself. His christianity is as fake as his tan.
Old 1st July 2018, 01:17 PM   #171
Agatha
Winking at the Moon
Deputy Admin

Mod Info A number of posts which were more focused on the nomination to replace Justice Kennedy have been moved to a more appropriate thread.
Posted By:Agatha
Old 2nd July 2018, 06:51 PM   #172
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
You've got that slightly wrong.

I'm sure Hitler did genuinely believe his god was on his side. (At least at the start)

Trump's only god is himself. His christianity is as fake as his tan.
True but I think that attack would only resonate with his base and that needle doesn't appear to be moving much. A Nazi comparison if done well would appeal to the critical "lesser of two evils voter". There's enough good video and audio out there to make it work on the surface. Anyone who looks too closely at the comparison is probably already pro US and their vote would be anti Trump regardless.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2018, 08:14 PM   #173
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
True but I think that attack would only resonate with his base and that needle doesn't appear to be moving much.
It shows how much the christian right wants to attack human rights - they're prepared to make a pact with the devil to get what they want.

They probably wouldn't care if he was Hitler, as long they get a sniff of Roe being overturned. They'll take racism; they'll take abuse of a Gold Star family; they accept he's an adulterer; they'll take human rights abuses against migrants...
Old 2nd July 2018, 08:42 PM   #174
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

There are many similarities and differences between Hitler and Trump. So some of the comparisons are fair. But so far the similarities are limited to propaganda, xenophobia, and their respect for democracy. Trump has been tearing at the institutions and checks and balances pretty hard. His attitude towards the press is a spot on match. Trump is a dictator wannabe not so much a Hitler wannabe. And lastly, Hitler was far more racist. Far more cruel and violent and much smarter.
Old 3rd July 2018, 03:06 AM   #175
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
It shows how much the christian right wants to attack human rights - they're prepared to make a pact with the devil to get what they want.

They probably wouldn't care if he was Hitler, as long they get a sniff of Roe being overturned. They'll take racism; they'll take abuse of a Gold Star family; they accept he's an adulterer; they'll take human rights abuses against migrants...
True but I like to deal with the world as I find it. The needle only has to move on one class of voter a little bit to make the Trump problem go away. There aren't many of them and they live in four or five places. It's all about finding the message or combination of messages to sway certain voters.
Old 6th July 2018, 07:58 PM   #176
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

Originally Posted by beachnut View Post
If Goebel was asked to leave a restaurant, the place would be burned down, and the owner murdered.
Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
Can there be any serious doubt that Trump would too, if he could? He's already told his followers at a rally that they should attack a protester, said someone should assassinate Clinton if she won, defended a murderer who was on his political side for murdering their opponents, obsessively sought ways to kick millions of people who mostly didn't and wouldn't vote for him off of any & all health care knowing that that would kill dozens of thousands of them per year, tried to ruin the lives of opponents and immigrants as much as he can without killing them, tried to discredit/destroy basic democratic institutions like free press and actual law enforcement so they'd be less restrictive and he could more easily do even more and worse... you're not talking about a difference between him and Hitler; it's just a difference between the times & places in which they find themselves.
And now, soon after the murder of several journalists, he's done another round of blathering about what horrible monsters journalists are at another one of his endless campaign rallies in front of a crowd full of gun-toting cult-maniacs. There's no way that wasn't an attempt to rile some of them up to go do more journalist-murdering.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics