IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags adolf hitler , donald trump , Nazi comparisons , nazi germany , Trump controversies

Old 30th May 2021, 05:30 PM   #161
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Belz... I only bring him up to illustrate the toxicity of some on the American left when someone otherwise thought of as on their side on most issues tried to offer some perspective on Biden v Trump. And he was right!
I was just doing my PSA for the day.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2021, 09:15 AM   #162
Paul2
Philosopher

The danger in the many anti-democratic moves by the GOP make the concern over killing - no, even just modifying - the filibuster seem quaint.

Can someone tell Manchin and Sinema?

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2021, 03:05 PM   #163
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
The danger in the many anti-democratic moves by the GOP make the concern over killing - no, even just modifying - the filibuster seem quaint.

Can someone tell Manchin and Sinema?
I kind of agree with Manchin that instead of killing the filibuster they need to return it to being hard to use. When a bill can be killed on the threat of the filibuster then it's too easy. If someone wants to use it, they should have to work hard for it. Force them to stand there and talk for 24 hours on the topic of the bill, or even better, make it 48 and allow them to switch out once, but they have to remain on topic without repeating themselves or it's over. Keep it but make it hard to use because otherwise what happens when the Reps eventually take back the Senate?

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2021, 09:49 PM   #164
Lurch
Master Poster

Maybe it's my tendency to logic, or propensity for fair play.

it seems wrong to require 60 votes to get a bill to go to the floor for discussion when the vote to pass it is 50 plus 1.

And it's all the more egregious when the filibuster succeeds if the votes are 53 to 35. Probably something as unbalanced as, say, 59 to 30 would still have the minority win. Just doesn't seem right...
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2021, 02:54 AM   #165
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
I kind of agree with Manchin that instead of killing the filibuster they need to return it to being hard to use. When a bill can be killed on the threat of the filibuster then it's too easy. If someone wants to use it, they should have to work hard for it. Force them to stand there and talk for 24 hours on the topic of the bill, or even better, make it 48 and allow them to switch out once, but they have to remain on topic without repeating themselves or it's over. Keep it but make it hard to use because otherwise what happens when the Reps eventually take back the Senate?
Follow the rules of "just a minute" where the contestants have to speak on a subject for one minute without hesitation, repetition (of any word apart from a handful of very common words such as 'a', 'the', 'and', 'or' and so on) or deviation from the subject.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_a_Minute
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2021, 03:05 AM   #166
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Maybe it's my tendency to logic, or propensity for fair play.

it seems wrong to require 60 votes to get a bill to go to the floor for discussion when the vote to pass it is 50 plus 1.

And it's all the more egregious when the filibuster succeeds if the votes are 53 to 35. Probably something as unbalanced as, say, 59 to 30 would still have the minority win. Just doesn't seem right...
That's because we live in Canada and we have a sensible democratic system. Imagine being in federal election for two years rather than, what, 5 weeks? Imagine waiting 4 hours in line to vote rather than 4 minutes. Imagine voting for public jobs that we have no business deciding. Imagine a Canadian politician spending half their time trying to get money for their next election. Etc.

The other day I compared the Canadian and US systems to Intelligent Design and Evolution, respectively. The former is efficient and lean, and makes sense to an observer. The latter is a messy, inefficient bureaucratic nightmare that all sorts of garbage DNA, but it kinda works anyway, and you don't dare try to alter it lest you just screw up the whole thing.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2021, 08:23 PM   #167
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
The result or not, without another cult leader the movement of rightwing radicals can follow, they will remain disorganized malcontents.

At this point in time, no way are those legislators capable of attracting and commanding a following.
The 2022 midterms are going to be critical. I hope that the polls are right (and that the numbers stay that way) and Republicans are voted out of Congress and state government in a big way. But, if the economy doesn't pick up as the pandemic winds down, or otherwise goes south, or there is some foreign policy crisis that Biden doesn't handle well, or is perceived by more than the right wing kooks as mishandling, things could turn. I think there is a very real risk that, if for whatever reason the current crop of Republicans gain power in 2022 or 2024, they may succeed establishing a permanent right-wing dictatorship. I think we were very fortunate that Trump, in spite of his ability to gain a cult following, was an inept buffoon. If somebody less incompetent succeeds in gaining control of the Trump cult, we could still be in for a rough ride. The pandemic, bad as it has been, may have been a blessing in disguise, as I think Trump would have stood a good chance of reelection without it. If his presidency had had another four years, especially had it been combined with a Republican Congress, I don't think we would have gotten rid of them without a violent revolution.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2021, 04:37 AM   #168
SuburbanTurkey

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
The 2022 midterms are going to be critical. I hope that the polls are right (and that the numbers stay that way) and Republicans are voted out of Congress and state government in a big way. But, if the economy doesn't pick up as the pandemic winds down, or otherwise goes south, or there is some foreign policy crisis that Biden doesn't handle well, or is perceived by more than the right wing kooks as mishandling, things could turn. I think there is a very real risk that, if for whatever reason the current crop of Republicans gain power in 2022 or 2024, they may succeed establishing a permanent right-wing dictatorship. I think we were very fortunate that Trump, in spite of his ability to gain a cult following, was an inept buffoon. If somebody less incompetent succeeds in gaining control of the Trump cult, we could still be in for a rough ride. The pandemic, bad as it has been, may have been a blessing in disguise, as I think Trump would have stood a good chance of reelection without it. If his presidency had had another four years, especially had it been combined with a Republican Congress, I don't think we would have gotten rid of them without a violent revolution.
Nothing makes extreme right wing groups flourish like paralyzed, ineffectual centrists running things.

If the 2022 election doesn't result in breaking the Manchin/Sinema conservative stranglehold on the Senate, the Biden administration is basically just going to be a brief interregnum between proto-fascist right-wing rule.

There are dire, systematic problems that are stressing this country to the breaking point. If there are not progressive/liberal/left solutions, there will be fascist solutions. The current situation cannot stand indefinitely, something is going to give.

Edit: It is kinda funny imagining libs rambling on about the Parliamentarian right before a crazed Q fascist lines them up on a wall to be shot.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 3rd June 2021 at 04:40 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2021, 06:53 AM   #169
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Keep it but make it hard to use because otherwise what happens when the Reps eventually take back the Senate?
They'll kill it anyway the first chance it becomes beneficial to do so, as they did with nominating Supreme Court justices in order to ram through Judge Handmaiden.

"You can't blame us for not knowing they'd do the exact thing they've done before," the moderate Democrats will cry.

[ETA] Actually, they'd work in a slight somewhere as well. "If only those progressives weren't so radical our Republican colleagues would have been more cooperative with us!"

Last edited by Beelzebuddy; 4th June 2021 at 07:02 AM.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2021, 06:56 AM   #170
Belz...
Fiend God

Is it too late to declare the Republican party to be a criminal organisation?

Old 4th June 2021, 07:01 AM   #171
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Yes, because facts no longer matter.

- Emo Philips
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2021, 07:01 AM   #172
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Yes. You have to do that before they take control of the courts, government, and everything that gets to declare who or what is criminal.
Old 4th June 2021, 07:06 AM   #173
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Yes, because facts no longer matter.
And that.

What do questions even mean in a world where facts no longer exist?

Are Republicans criminals? I don't know, do hats exist? It's all the same in a world with no agreed upon facts AND in which all means of effective discourse which could maybe get us to facts have been hate ****** to the point that doesn't exist anymore.

Facts don't exist and even if they did what does it matter its not like we can effectively talk about them anymore. What's the ******* point in even asking questions (and **** the first person who thinks the irony in the statement is the point.)

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 4th June 2021 at 07:34 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2021, 08:20 PM   #174
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by Monica 56 View Post
Both are Jewish in their bloodlines on both sides .

Before a brain collapse over that assertion about Adolf , read Miles Mathis' reports on the matter .
Turns out Mathis is brimming over with ********. My favorite has to be his hysterical assertion that π = 4.
https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Miles_Mathis
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2021, 02:33 AM   #175
TheSupermeerkat
Graduate Poster

Monica, Miles Mathis is also a raging antisemite and he is demonstrably wrong on many, if not all the things he says. Can you explain why you think he's right?
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2021, 03:54 AM   #176
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
And that.

Are Republicans criminals? I don't know, do hats exist? It's all the same in a world with no agreed upon facts AND in which all means of effective discourse which could maybe get us to facts have been hate ****** to the point that doesn't exist anymore.

Facts don't exist and even if they did what does it matter its not like we can effectively talk about them anymore. What's the ******* point in even asking questions (and **** the first person who thinks the irony in the statement is the point.)
Wait a minute. Before we even discuss this we have to talk about Hillary's e-mails.

Old 5th June 2021, 11:37 AM   #177
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Wait a minute. Before we even discuss this we have to talk about Hillary's e-mails.
BENGHAZI!!!!!!!!!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2021, 10:33 PM   #178
BobTheCoward
Suspended

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
And that.

Because it is a source of personal entertainment.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2021, 12:42 AM   #179
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Because it is a source of personal entertainment.
Is that what they are calling it now? In that case I can't wait for the shooting to start. Should be highly 'entertaining'.
Old 6th June 2021, 11:57 AM   #180
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Writer compares Biden administration to Weimar republic.
Quote:
There is an obvious risk that Biden and the narrow Democratic majorities in Congress will fail, and that Trump or a successor will take over and then cement themselves into power for at least the next generation.
https://www.salon.com/2021/06/06/joe...-dark-lessons/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2021, 01:13 PM   #181
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post

The comparison is so clear and yet the Republicans either can't...or won't...see it.
The stupid or ignorant don't see it. Those who are neither stupid nor ignorant of history just won't see it. Or, if they do, just don't care as long as they "get theirs". It's the last group that I put so many of the GOP legislators in...and it makes them the worst.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2021, 01:23 PM   #182
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post

Trump might not live to 2024. Everyone knows he eats a ton of McDonalds and KFC, so ANTIFA working for those establishments might poison his food.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2021, 01:26 PM   #183
Cain
Straussian

Also, there's a clear path to the presidency for Donald Trump, and it respects Constitutional mechanisms. The GOP wins the House in 2022, and installs Trump as Speaker (technically, you do not have to be elected to serve as Speaker). That clears the path to remove the President and Vice President via the Second Amendment.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2021, 01:28 PM   #184
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Trump might not live to 2024. Everyone knows he eats a ton of McDonalds and KFC, so ANTIFA working for those establishments might poison his food.
Tease.
Old 6th June 2021, 01:29 PM   #185
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Also, there's a clear path to the presidency for Donald Trump, and it respects Constitutional mechanisms. The GOP wins the House in 2022, and installs Trump as Speaker (technically, you do not have to be elected to serve as Speaker). That clears the path to remove the President and Vice President via the Second Amendment.
Well, they a clearly gunning for Biden and Harris.
Old 6th June 2021, 01:32 PM   #186
Belz...
Fiend God

Or via impeachment, more likely.

Old 6th June 2021, 10:00 PM   #187
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

The problem with Impeachment is that even if you win the house and have clear evidence with which to pass the Impeachment vote, you still need to get 67 votes in the Senate.

I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 03:53 AM   #188
Belz...
Fiend God

The problem with Impeachment is that even if you win the house and have clear evidence with which to pass the Impeachment vote, you still need to get 67 votes in the Senate.
Yeah but they can hope, right?

Old 7th June 2021, 01:10 PM   #189
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
BENGHAZI!!!!!!!!!
I long for the day when the only time I hear the name Benghazi is in books and discussions of World War Two in North Africa.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 01:11 PM   #190
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I think a GOP removal of Biden and Harris would trigger the Second American Revolution/Civil War.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 01:17 PM   #191
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I think a GOP removal of Biden and Harris would trigger the Second American Revolution/Civil War.
dudalb, you think my rabbit sneezing would trigger a second american civil war.

Old 7th June 2021, 01:19 PM   #192
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

dudalb, you think my rabbit sneezing would trigger a second american civil war.
I think an out and out coup like that would.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 7th June 2021, 01:33 PM   #193
Venom
Philosopher

Honestly, I hope his death doesn't spark even more dangerous QAnspiracy theories that may cause millions of people to permanently turn to violent anti-government sentiment.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2021, 05:43 PM   #194
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Do you really think that the GOP can pick up 17 senate seats in 2022? Seriously?

Old 7th June 2021, 06:28 PM   #195
Belz...
Fiend God

Do you really think that the GOP can pick up 17 senate seats in 2022? Seriously?
No, I'm the one who brought up impeachment. I don't think it could happen soon... but after three cycles it might be possible within his second term.

Old 7th June 2021, 07:20 PM   #196
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

No, I'm the one who brought up impeachment. I don't think it could happen soon... but after three cycles it might be possible within his second term.
Do you really think that they could pick up 17 seats by 2026?

No one has had that sort of majority in the Senate since the Democrats in the 1960s, and the Republicans haven't even managed to break 60% since 1921, so where is this turnaround going to happen for them to have the number to do something that in four attempts has never succeeded?

Old 8th June 2021, 07:40 AM   #197
Paul2
Philosopher

No one has had that sort of majority in the Senate since the Democrats in the 1960s, and the Republicans haven't even managed to break 60% since 1921, so where is this turnaround going to happen for them to have the number to do something that in four attempts has never succeeded?
OMG, please shoot me now for saying this: the Repubs could steal Senate elections like they're setting up to ensure the 2024 presidential election by having the legislatures or friendly AGs or Sec of States declare the election of any Dem rigged.

Fortunately, I suspect (but haven't counted) that there aren't enough Repub state legislatures to get a supermajority in the Senate.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2021, 08:11 AM   #198
Belz...
Fiend God

Literally nothing could surprise me about American politics at this point, especially with the GOP cheating. I hope not, though.

Old 8th June 2021, 08:34 AM   #199
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
OMG, please shoot me now for saying this: the Repubs could steal Senate elections like they're setting up to ensure the 2024 presidential election by having the legislatures or friendly AGs or Sec of States declare the election of any Dem rigged.

Fortunately, I suspect (but haven't counted) that there aren't enough Repub state legislatures to get a supermajority in the Senate.
In 2018, the GOP held 32 state Senates and 29 Houses.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2021, 09:02 AM   #200
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
In 2018, the GOP held 32 state Senates and 29 Houses.
It depends on how many state legislatures they hold in states that a Dem might win a Senate seat.

I'm going to see how close I can get to actually counting without actually counting.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics