ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Australia elections , Australia politics , Julie Bishop , Malcolm Turnbull , Peter Dutton , Scott Morrison

Old 9th September 2018, 06:53 PM   #81
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

The interesting thing (to me) about the Wagga Wagga byelection is that the vox pop on the ABC over the weekend had people saying that because of the leadership spill, they were disaffected with both Liberal and Labor. As far as I was concerned, this was all about the Liberals. Labour have remained pretty much blameless during the whole process.

I'm predicting a big swing towards the Greens and Independents in the coming election, which I still think will be called before the end of the year.

ps. You don't call Wagga Wagga Wagga.
Old 9th September 2018, 08:01 PM   #82
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I'm predicting a big swing towards the Greens and Independents in the coming election, which I still think will be called before the end of the year.
The Greens were also big losers in the by-election with their primary vote almost halved. We are more likely to see votes leaking from LNP to right wing minorities (like One Nation).

If Scott Morrison has any brains then he will avoid an early election like the plague. The more time that elapses since the leadership spill the better for the Libs (especially if Morrison can maintain some stability during the year).

Of course, if the government loses their majority then a no confidence motion is always possible. I suspect that such opportunism would not help the Labor party - especially if a double dissolution is the result.

Last edited by psionl0; 9th September 2018 at 08:02 PM.
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2018, 08:35 PM   #83
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

I do. It gets up the noses of the locals, and as I said earlier, I don’t have much regard for the place.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2018, 08:43 PM   #84
Norman Alexander
Master Poster

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I do. It gets up the noses of the locals, and as I said earlier, I don’t have much regard for the place.
You can call Walla Walla Walla though.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2018, 01:55 PM   #85
Thor 2
Illuminator

Getting back to Morrison and his Pentecostal faith, I can imagine him getting all lathered up and treating us to an exhibition of "speaking in tongues", on the floor of parliament. That would be a hoot.
Old 10th September 2018, 06:21 PM   #86
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Old 10th September 2018, 06:37 PM   #87
Norman Alexander
Master Poster

Who is this old goat??
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2018, 07:05 PM   #88
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Senator Wacka? John Williams, Senator for NSW.

Last edited by arthwollipot; 10th September 2018 at 07:44 PM.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2018, 07:07 PM   #89
Norman Alexander
Master Poster

Linky no work. Sorry.
Old 10th September 2018, 07:47 PM   #90
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

He's a National Party senator in NSW. I got the link from his Twitter page, which does appear to be borked. He's saying that... wait, the Guardian explains it better.

Quote:
Just further on what Wacka told Sky, the problem for the NSW Liberals is this.

There are two winnable spots on the NSW Senate ticket - which are guaranteed wins. Jim Molan is the only Liberal NSW senator who is up for election at the next poll. Under the agreement between the two parties, the Nationals are supposed to have spot number two.

But.

With Andrew Bragg withdrawing from the Wentworth race to ‘focus on Senate opportunities’ - which is what he told the Daily Telegraph yesterday, that means Jim Molan has to be punted, in order for Bragg to get a winnable Liberal spot on the ticket.

The only way Molan’s Senate career lives on, is if the Liberals take the top two spots - relegating the Nationals to three and below.

The Nats, already worried about representation in NSW, are not overly happy with that. Hence Wacka’s call to arms on Sky a few minutes ago.
source
Old 11th September 2018, 12:28 AM   #91
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

It would be great if the Nationals had a separate line for themselves for the Senate. That way they need to get enough people to vote for them for their members to get elected.
Old 11th September 2018, 12:38 AM   #92
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Originally Posted by wombatwal View Post
Dutton and Quaedvlieg the former Border Force boss are at loggerheads. Dutton claiming his evidence in the senate inquiry is fabricated and is doubting Quaedvlieg's mental health.
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fede...06-p5028a.html
And now he's accusing him of grooming underage girls. Is there no depth to which Dutton will not sink?
https://www.theguardian.com/australi...grooming-woman
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2018, 12:43 AM   #93
Norman Alexander
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Damien Evans View Post
And now he's accusing him of grooming underage girls. Is there no depth to which Dutton will not sink?
Nope. He's a Qld copper. Expect him to lower the bar then crawl under it.
Old 11th September 2018, 04:47 AM   #94
wombatwal
Graduate Poster

Dutton is fighting for his political life. Expect more abuse and accusations. He has already described Quaedvlieg as Labor's Godwin Grech.

Put him in the van.
wombatwal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2018, 04:52 AM   #95
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by wombatwal View Post
Dutton is fighting for his political life. Expect more abuse and accusations. He has already described Quaedvlieg as Labor's Godwin Grech.
Dutton doesn’t matter anymore. Morrison would be happy if he self-immolated.

All Morrison craves is the support of News Ltd and Sydney shock jocks. This has been enough to ensure the election of Tory idiots in past years.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2018, 06:19 AM   #96
Dabop
Muse

And this is the guy that wanted to be PM....

(as if there weren't enough scumbags in charge of countries already)

'When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.' George Carlin
Dabop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2018, 02:13 PM   #97
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

You would expect the % of the voters who will vote for the Government in the by-election to be far lower than in the previous election. After all I am sure many people would have voted for the PM, rather than the Liberals. Now the Liberals have lost that vote. But will it be enough for someone else to take the seat?

Quote:
Liberal vote in crucial Wentworth seat plummets, poll shows
According to the private polling, the Liberal’s primary vote has plummeted to 39 per cent, from 62 per cent when Mr Turnbull was the member.
https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/stat...plummets-poll/
Old 11th September 2018, 04:32 PM   #98
Norman Alexander
Master Poster

With the Libs barely hanging on by a fingernail and scrambling desperately for actual policies, that makes each and every backbencher "important" to keep on board. So what does Abbott do? Stirs the pot. I do hope, if the Libs get trounced next time, and it looks like they will be, Abbott never gets preselection again.

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...newable-energy
Quote:
Tony Abbott has reignited his push to scrap subsidies for renewable energy, taking on the new energy minister, Angus Taylor, at his first meeting of the government’s backbench energy and environment committee on Tuesday.

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 11th September 2018 at 04:34 PM.
Old 11th September 2018, 04:44 PM   #99
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Jason Ball, a name that should be known to us Australian skeptics, is running for the Greens in the previously-safe Liberal seat of Higgins. And it actually looks like he might have a shot.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...al-is-politics
Old 11th September 2018, 10:34 PM   #100
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Knock Knock

Who's there?

Peter

Peter who?

Scott Morrison.
Old 11th September 2018, 10:47 PM   #101
fromdownunder
Philosopher

The Wentworth by-election will be on October 20. Not long to wait, and I suspect a less than optimum strategy.

Norm

fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2018, 11:16 PM   #102
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post
The Wentworth by-election will be on October 20. Not long to wait, and I suspect a less than optimum strategy.

Norm
My betting is that preference deals will see an independent elected. Given the electorate it will no doubt be a right leaning independent, meaning no change to the balance of power.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 12th September 2018, 01:50 PM   #103
Thor 2
Illuminator

It would seem Morrison has caught foot in mouth disease.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/201...-evil/10238488

Quote:
Labor has demanded an explanation from the Prime Minister, after he authorised and tweeted a feedlot operator's suggestion that drought could be considered a "necessary evil" that helps "cut out the bottom 10 per cent" of farmers.

Last edited by Thor 2; 12th September 2018 at 01:51 PM.
Thor 2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 04:51 PM   #104
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I do love the Guardian's liveblog, and I've linked to it extensively over the last few weeks. Here's a gem from this morning:

Quote:
Katharine Murphy

Folks who follow the goings on in Canberra will know that last night was the midwinter (in early spring) ball that the press gallery puts on every year to raise big bucks for charity. Many readers will also know there is controversy about whether this event is on or off the record.

The organisers have decreed the ball is an off-the-record event. But I’ve long argued that an event where politicians give speeches in front of hundreds of people, most of whom are not bound by an off-the-record convention, cannot be off the record.

I’ve raised this with the organisers of the event, who, for now at least, want the event to remain off the record. I told the organisers this year I would not accept this ruling, because it is practically unenforceable and professionally indefensible. Off the record is a convention that requires consent between journalist and source. To cut a long story short, I don’t consent. I indicated to them I would be reporting anything that was newsworthy.

So was anything newsworthy?

Not massively. Scott Morrison and Bill Shorten both delivered speeches that were lighthearted and, in Shorten’s case, almost entirely self-deprecating. Morrison obviously had the tougher job. Shorten has done this event every year he’s been opposition leader and is now well practised. Obviously, it was Morrison’s first outing, and the weight of recent events was very much in the room.

The new prime minister got through about 70% of the speech before being heckled. A woman shouted “Bring back Malcolm”.

The intervention literally stopped Morrison at the podium, and the room as a whole. I think it’s fair to say there was a collective intake of breath, because it wasn’t clear who had provided the free feedback, and it goes without saying that the government has endured a torrid month. Morrison was obviously taken aback, but he gathered himself quickly and kept going.

Fortunately for the prime minister, it turns out the heckler was the Greens senator Sarah Hanson-Young, rather than a disgruntled colleague who had downed one wine too many. I gather the interjection was intended to be lighthearted, and she apologised.

The ball, in times of political drama, has seen worse. But it was certainly a moment.
sauce
Old 12th September 2018, 08:07 PM   #105
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

How do you pronounce "Quaedvlieg" anyway?
Old 13th September 2018, 06:45 PM   #106
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Surprise surprise, the Liberal Party has preselected a rich white man to run for the seat of Wentworth.
Old 13th September 2018, 07:24 PM   #107
Norman Alexander
Master Poster

How do you pronounce "Quaedvlieg" anyway?
Quadbike. Randy Quadbike.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ndle-the-truth
Old 13th September 2018, 07:25 PM   #108
Norman Alexander
Master Poster

Surprise surprise, the Liberal Party has preselected a rich white man to run for the seat of Wentworth.
They did that last time. Look where it got them...and him!
Old 13th September 2018, 07:37 PM   #109
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Crafty choice though. The Jewish vote is strong in Wentworth. A lot of younger moderate Jews would likely have voted Labor or Independent. Sharma will now get the majority of their votes.

Sir Winston Churchill

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics