ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old Today, 06:37 AM   #2761
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
I haven't read Woodward's book yet but I did find this post interesting reading. It's a critique of his style of writing ... well, not style, really, but overall approach to his subjects.

It's a good piece. I can commend it.
There are some good points here especially as it relates to former administration members rehabilitating themselves. Cohn, Porter, Bannon and Priebus would all seem to fit in that category.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:38 AM   #2762
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Sure they can. Quit and make public why they are quitting - the president is unfit for the job.
And with no use of the 25th Amendment and no impeachment, then what?
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:39 AM   #2763
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
I haven't read Woodward's book yet but I did find this post interesting reading. It's a critique of his style of writing ... well, not style, really, but overall approach to his subjects.

It's a good piece. I can commend it.

I just finished the book yesterday, and I think he's made a fair assessment of it. He's highlighted some of the same issues I noticed.

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
How does Woodward do that? From what I heard of the book it's pretty damning.

It's damning on many fronts, but as noted in the review, it seems to make clear that the Mueller investigation is a witch hunt, as the Trump camp keeps insisting. This even comes across as Woodward's own opinion, as he quotes his own TV appearances as well, which support this narrative. Woodward has accepted their version uncritically, and it looks like he did that because he agrees with them.

The other take-away I got from the book, which isn't addressed in the review, is how many of the people involved seem to really believe all the BS we've been hearing. If you're wondering how Trump can possibly believe he's the bestest POTUS evar, it's because he's got all these characters around him who are telling him that. "No one else could have done that, Mr Trump!" all over the place. Even the people who are trying to talk him out of his worst ideas then turn around and praise him for his other ideas. Guess which part Trump is going to remember?

Similarly, they seem truly convinced that the Obama presidency really was an unmitigated disaster, start to finish. It's not just their public political persona, they seem to say this even in the privacy of their own councils.
Old Today, 06:46 AM   #2764
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
God, that just means the markets will take a massive hit the next day.
For somebody who is supposed to be a brilliant businessman, Trump sure is stupid about business basics.
Dow is currently up 42.

Almost like a random walk. Or at least maddeningly hard, if not impossible to predict.
Old Today, 06:49 AM   #2765
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Dow is currently up 42.

Almost like a random walk. Or at least maddeningly hard, if not impossible to predict.
Too many short sellers driving the market up?
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:50 AM   #2766
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
And with no use of the 25th Amendment and no impeachment, then what?
I'm not really sure what you mean by "then what". Run as an independent? Organise protests? Write a book? Petition Congress/the Senate?

There's all sorts of things that people who have resigned from the government can do.
Old Today, 06:56 AM   #2767
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
My biggest criticism of Woodward is that he falls into the same trap most commentators fell before the 2016 elections: in a misguided effort to be "fair and balanced" they make Trump look better than he is and his adversaries worse than they are.
I can't even begin to imagine anyone but the most blindly loyal Trump supporter reading Fear and thinking it made Trump look at all good. I always knew he wasn't very bright but he is literally and without hyperbole, too stupid to be president. The descriptions of his advisors trying to explain what a trade deficit is are beyond cringe-worthy.
Old Today, 07:01 AM   #2768
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

"What will be disclosed is that there was no basis for these FISA Warrants, that the important information was kept from the court, there’s going to be a disproportionate influence of the (Fake) Dossier. Basically you have a counter terrorism tool used to spy on a presidential..."

"....campaign, which is unprecedented in our history.” Congressman Peter King Really bad things were happening, but they are now being exposed. Big stuff!"
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:02 AM   #2769
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

"China has openly stated that they are actively trying to impact and change our election by attacking our farmers, ranchers and industrial workers because of their loyalty to me. What China does not understand is that these people are great patriots and fully understand that....."

".....China has been taking advantage of the United States on Trade for many years. They also know that I am the one that knows how to stop it. There will be great and fast economic retaliation against China if our farmers, ranchers and/or industrial workers are targeted!"
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:20 AM   #2770
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

"China has openly stated that they are actively trying to impact and change our election by attacking our farmers, ranchers and industrial workers because of their loyalty to me."
"Ich schwöre bei Gott diesen heiligen Eid, daß ich dem Führer des Amerikanischen Reiches und Volkes Donald Trump, dem Oberbefehlshaber der Wehrmacht, unbedingten Gehorsam leisten und als tapferer Soldat bereit sein will, jederzeit für diesen Eid mein Leben einzusetzen."

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:47 AM   #2771
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Google Translate:

I swear to God this sacred oath that I will unconditionally obey the leader of the American Empire and people, Donald Trump, Commander-in-Chief of the Wehrmacht, and be ready as a brave soldier to use my life at all times for this oath.”
Old Today, 07:49 AM   #2772
Stacko
Philosopher

There is a widespread campaign of fear being devised and perpetuated against me just because my dick looks like a cartoon character
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 08:07 AM   #2773
gregthehammer
Muse

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
wait, what?
gregthehammer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 08:09 AM   #2774
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by gregthehammer View Post
wait, what?
Warning you cannot unread this.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 08:20 AM   #2775
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Google Translate:

I swear to God this sacred oath that I will unconditionally obey the leader of the American Empire and people, Donald Trump, Commander-in-Chief of the Wehrmacht, and be ready as a brave soldier to use my life at all times for this oath.”
Shhh... don't explain the joke.

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 08:21 AM   #2776
The Great Zaganza
Illuminator

Voters needed to know this.
Preferably before November 2016.
Old Today, 08:21 AM   #2777
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

For anyone who didn't follow the link, it is a description of Trump's genitals, according to Stormy Daniels. Everything you wanted to know. Or didn't want to know. Or whatever.

The description: small (but not freakishly small), shaped like a toadstool (like the mushroom thingies from Mariocart).

You know, if anything is going to sink Trump's political fortunes this will be it.

Mueller investigation and russian collusion? Republicans in congress won't impeach. Huge spike in the debt, children locked in cages, and a trade war threatening the economy? Trump's supporters will stand by him because he gives them the bigotry they truly desire.

But if people have an idea that Trump is poorly endowed? To his supporters he goes from the "great success and savior" to "that guy who's less of a man".

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 08:24 AM   #2778
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
For anyone who didn't follow the link, it is a description of Trump's genitals, according to Stormy Daniels. Everything you wanted to know. Or didn't want to know. Or whatever.

The description: small (but not freakishly small), shaped like a toadstool (like the mushroom thingies from Mariocart).

You know, if anything is going to sink Trump's political fortunes this will be it.

Mueller investigation and russian collusion? Republicans in congress won't impeach. Huge spike in the debt, children locked in cages, and a trade war threatening the economy? Trump's supporters will stand by him because he gives them the bigotry they truly desire.

But if people have an idea that Trump is poorly endowed? To his supporters he goes from the "great success and savior" to "that guy who's less of a man".
There's also the yeti reference. *shudders*
Old Today, 08:27 AM   #2779
gregthehammer
Muse

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post

I'm gonna go with the bolded.
gregthehammer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 08:30 AM   #2780
The Great Zaganza
Illuminator

Daniel's is a 'Stacy', as Trump's Incel friends would say, so she is completely untrustworthy.
Old Today, 08:31 AM   #2781
chrispy
Critical Thinker

Oh my goodness! I'm in public and getting stares for laughing so loud. That made my day. Thanks, Stacko... I think.
chrispy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics