ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 28th March 2020, 10:13 PM   #41
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
But that's my point: it's just speculation at this point.

And the dynamic now isn't equivalent to Christmas. The issue isn't simply enforced contact. At Christmas, people have this expectation that things are supposed to be happy and nice. And when things don't play out the way they want or expect (because they rarely do), that doesn't only create stress, it can create anger towards the people that aren't living up to your expectations.

But what are the expectations here? This is unprecedented. People don't know what to expect. So it's not a given that all abusers are just going to be more abusive, let alone how much more abusive. Human behavior is more complex than that. The overall effect of this is really unknown.
Oh. I see you met my father while he was alive.

There's a reason why I stay home, alone, for Christmas every year.
Old 30th March 2020, 12:34 AM   #42
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

There's been a lot about this in Norwegian media. Both on kids who are stuck at home with dysfunctional or abusive families, and how abuse is not uncovered as the kids don't get to be with teachers and others who would have noticed bruises and other signs. Abusers must be loving this situation.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"I cannot say is is suffering from a pathological narcissistic personality disorder, but I think it is clear he is doing a perfect impersonation of someone who is." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2020, 09:56 AM   #43
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Grønland indfører alkoholforbud midt i coronakrise (DR.dk, March 29, 2020)

To make sure that children are safe in their homes, you can no longer buy beverages with a percentage of alcohol higher than 2.25.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 04:48 AM   #44
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Coronavirus: I'm in lockdown with my abuser (BBC, March 31, 2020)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 05:01 AM   #45
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Not the exact same topic but related, I've seen (second hand from people so grain of salt) an uptick in "LOL I can beat your ass because Child Protective Services ain't doing house calls during the quarantine" type memes/jokes shared on Facebook and Twitter.

But CPS in general seems to occupy the role of "Boogeyman" to the "It's my God given right to beat my child and being told I can't is the greatest injustice ever" types.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 07:33 AM   #46
dann
Penultimate Amazing

As long as it's not serious ...
When Dark Humor Is the Best Medicine (Boston Globe, March 18, 2020)
Old 31st March 2020, 11:35 AM   #47
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by dann View Post
This will be one where you can compare the stats before and after - how many additional family murders happened during the lockdowns.

Covid's certainly shining a spotlight on the human species at the moment.
Old 6th April 2020, 09:13 AM   #48
plague311
Great minds think...

In a terrible series of events a man shot himself and his girlfriend out of fear of the coronavirus:

Quote:
An Illinois man who suspected his girlfriend had contracted COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, shot and killed her and then himself, authorities said.

Both tested negative for the disease.
Looks like he shot her and then himself. She had been tested a few days before but, from what I can glean, hadn't received her results back. Apparently the man had been in fear of COVID-19 for awhile. Sad to hear.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 11:34 AM   #49
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

And it's not just mental health suffering, with obesity up, exercise down and booze sales through the roof: https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-vi...79af1070e.html
Old 6th April 2020, 11:51 AM   #50
Suddenly
No Punting

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
And it's not just mental health suffering, with obesity up, exercise down and booze sales through the roof: https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-vi...79af1070e.html
Pennsylvania liquor stores are state run and were closed. As a result people were streaming over the border into West Virginia to buy liquor. At least two counties have banned liquor sales to anyone not holding a West Virginia driver's license or other ID. It became a health hazard around here as we are just outside of the Pittsburgh suburbs and yinzers were mobbing the stores.

It would make an interesting constitutional law exam question. Commerce clause, 21st amendment (repealing prohibition), Privileges and Immunities clause, power of the state w/r/t public health, etc.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 11:55 AM   #51
plague311
Great minds think...

We haven't been closed down in NoDak, and my wife and I will try to take the dogs for a walk. Honestly though, it's getting more and more complicated. We've had some bad weather, and spring just gets the dogs full of mud.

I can also say that my drinking hasn't increased at all. I'm still my normal Friday & Saturday heavy drinker and nothing during the week.

You're absolutely right though, this virus seems to be able to get you no matter what.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 12:29 PM   #52
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Suddenly View Post
Pennsylvania liquor stores are state run and were closed. As a result people were streaming over the border into West Virginia to buy liquor. At least two counties have banned liquor sales to anyone not holding a West Virginia driver's license or other ID. It became a health hazard around here as we are just outside of the Pittsburgh suburbs and yinzers were mobbing the stores.

It would make an interesting constitutional law exam question. Commerce clause, 21st amendment (repealing prohibition), Privileges and Immunities clause, power of the state w/r/t public health, etc.
What happened to the old ways? You would have made your own moonshine and more. Those states must have some folk descendants still doing it.
Old 7th April 2020, 07:42 PM   #53
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
What happened to the old ways? You would have made your own moonshine and more. Those states must have some folk descendants still doing it.
Many will, if that's what it takes. It is surprisingly easy to make hootch, you can do it even in prison with guards watching every little thing.

And speaking of practicing the old ways, my wife minds her place.

And boy is she dreamy. Not a care in the world, really. We've never been happier.

So mind your place, girls.

I can suggest some good material for anyone interested. Hutterites, Mennonite, Amish, there are a lot of societies where the women are valued more. Or should I say produce more value. Islam. Traditional societies anywhere field women who produce high value in the home.

It is obviously a problem when a woman produces no value in the home like now in the West. That's the point of feminism. So it follows that where feminism is more prevalent, the problem of domestic violence will be more significant: Putting women in homes, the antithesis of feminism, where they are not trained to be and where they produce little or no value.

Do you see the Hutterites whining about the coming domestic violence problem? Or us? No, my wife has her mouth shut down there in the kitchen washing dishes.

We homeschool anyway, mostly FLDS stuff on polygamy. So again, the traditionally-minded families are having less of an issue or even no issues at all because of coronavirus. The wife is where she belongs already.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2020, 08:50 PM   #54
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
Many will, if that's what it takes. It is surprisingly easy to make hootch, you can do it even in prison with guards watching every little thing.

And boy is she dreamy. Not a care in the world, really. We've never been happier.

I can suggest some good material for anyone interested. Hutterites, Mennonite, Amish, there are a lot of societies where the women are valued more. Or should I say produce more value. Islam. Traditional societies anywhere field women who produce high value in the home.

It is obviously a problem when a woman produces no value in the home like now in the West. That's the point of feminism. So it follows that where feminism is more prevalent, the problem of domestic violence will be more significant: Putting women in homes, the antithesis of feminism, where they are not trained to be and where they produce little or no value.

Do you see the Hutterites whining about the coming domestic violence problem? Or us? No, my wife has her mouth shut down there in the kitchen washing dishes.

We homeschool anyway, mostly FLDS stuff on polygamy. So again, the traditionally-minded families are having less of an issue or even no issues at all because of coronavirus. The wife is where she belongs already.
Please tell me this is satire.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2020, 07:51 AM   #55
Joe Random
Master Poster

Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2020, 08:40 AM   #56
3point14
Pi

Not at all sinister...

Are you also required to mind your place?

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2020, 05:41 PM   #57
carlvs
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Not at all sinister...

Are you also required to mind your place?
Don't you know - this is the kind of language masters ALWAYS use to describe their slaves...

Last edited by carlvs; 8th April 2020 at 06:32 PM. Reason: better context
carlvs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2020, 10:26 PM   #58
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Child abuse getting worse during pandemic.

Teachers and the usual others aren't able to report apparent child abuse, so the first people who see cases are the emergency room doctors, sometimes too late.
Quote:
Across the country, from California to Iowa to Massachusetts, child abuse reports have plummeted since the virus arrived. In the nation’s capital, hotline reports of abuse and neglect between mid-March and mid-April were 62 percent lower than in the same period last year, according to the D.C. Child and Family Services Agency. Reports to child protective services in Maryland have fallen just as far, and in Virginia, referrals from school staffers have dipped by 94 percent.

The cases surfacing often involve children so severely injured they end up in the emergency room and intensive care unit. In some hospitals, they are dying at an unusually high rate.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/educa...s-coronavirus/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2020, 05:19 AM   #59
applecorped
Banned

Would you call it a tidal wave of abuse?
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2020, 07:32 AM   #60
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

What does that comment mean? ^
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2020, 09:52 PM   #61
MoeFaux
Suspicious Mind

One of my teachers called CPS on my behalf. It meant so much to me, since my parent's abuse flew under the radar for years. Can't say that it did much at that point; I was 16 and my bones weren't broken. But it meant everything to me to know someone saw, recognized it, and cared.

I hope so much that the kids in danger are able to get word out for help or have their situation recognized over an internet classroom.

I do wonder if there are some instances of the internet learning classrooms actually helping pinpoint some abusive parents. Imagine that screaming parent in the background, or a teacher seeing a hoarded home background on screen. And seeing how a student acts when around a parent/ in the home environment is also telling. The fear, the change in demeanor. There surely must be a teacher or two out there making a call on behalf of a child based on a snippet on screen.

Keep these children in mind. Remember them when quarantine is done. Remember that even a smile from a caring adult can mean the world to a child in a bad home. And thank heavens for teachers in schools being mandated reporters.
Old 2nd May 2020, 08:23 PM   #62
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Teachers and the usual others aren't able to report apparent child abuse, so the first people who see cases are the emergency room doctors, sometimes too late.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/educa...s-coronavirus/
Appears to be a problem in Canada too.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...alls-1.5499687

COVID-19 has Kids Help Phone calling for more volunteers as service swamped with calls

Quote:
Over the past two weeks, Hay said the number of young people contacting the help line about COVID-19 has jumped 350 per cent.
Old 2nd May 2020, 09:44 PM   #63
curious cat
Critical Thinker

When you get locked up with your kid for a few weeks, you will understand...
curious cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2020, 08:54 AM   #64
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

On the other hand, I suppose the number of children getting bullied by their fellow schoolchildren has declined dramatically.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2020, 08:58 AM   #65
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Anecdotal; I have noticed more jokes/memes on social media of the "CPS ain't making housecalls so I can whup your ass if you mouth off" variety.

But that might not relate to anything real world since 1) some of them are jokes and 2) CPS already occupies the "Boogeyman" role in that charming sub-genre of parents who think not being able to beat their children is some terrible restriction of their freedoms.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2020, 10:53 AM   #66
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
On the other hand, I suppose the number of children getting bullied by their fellow schoolchildren has declined dramatically.
Generally, kids bullying other kids don't put them in the hospital or morgue. The point of the link is that kids out of school are basically invisible to authorities.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2020, 02:19 PM   #67
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Generally, kids bullying other kids don't put them in the hospital or morgue.
Eh? What planet have you just arrived from?

Here on earth, school bullying as a cause of suicide is so well known the CDC has some fairly extensive literature on it: https://www.cdc.gov/violencepreventi...on-final-a.pdf

I'd say it's pretty 50/50 whether kids are currently better or worse off.

I do note that certain right-wing mongrels wanting to end the lockdowns have been propagating false narratives of domestic harm in an effort to show lockdowns are bad, so make sure you have all the evidence before taking a position.
Old 4th May 2020, 06:55 PM   #68
carlvs
Critical Thinker

Here on earth, school bullying as a cause of suicide is so well known the CDC has some fairly extensive literature on it: https://www.cdc.gov/violencepreventi...on-final-a.pdf

I do note that certain right-wing mongrels wanting to end the lockdowns have been propagating false narratives of domestic harm in an effort to show lockdowns are bad, so make sure you have all the evidence before taking a position.
Now that the child abuse thread has been merged with the domestic abuse one, you may want to check when the first comment on these matters were made - 03/21/2020 - before you start comparing all the commentators - including yourself - on these matters to "right-wing mongrels* ..."

(*except for AlaskaBushPilot - and his comment received the proper scorn from the other commentators here ...)
carlvs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2020, 08:37 PM   #69
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by carlvs View Post
Now that the child abuse thread has been merged with the domestic abuse one, you may want to check when the first comment on these matters were made...
No, because I was responding to a specific post. I have no idea how you think that relates to the early posts in either thread. The topic was specifically suicides, and the comment was incorrect.

Originally Posted by carlvs View Post
- before you start comparing all the commentators - including yourself - on these matters to "right-wing mongrels* ..."
Now I'm just questioning your reading comprehension, because your criticism makes no sense. Take another look at the actual words:

Quote:
I'm not denying abuse exists, I'm saying that people deliberately promulgating false narratives are alt-right *****. So far, that's the only group I've seen deliberately trying to play the SJW card to further their own agenda.

Clear now?

In Bob's case, I don't think he deliberately posted false information. He just wasn't in possession of enough evidence.
Old 4th May 2020, 09:19 PM   #70
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Speaking of one doesn't diminish the other. But you are entirely wrong to claim "50/50." According to this, in 16 years roughly 1300 children killed themselves. That's less than 100 per year, and we don't know if bullying was always the cause Tragic enough, but events like this get so much attention because they're so rare.
Quote:
From 1999 through 2015, 1,309 children ages 5 to 12 took their own lives in the United States, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says.
https://www.cnn.com/2017/08/14/healt...des/index.html

And:
Quote:
Fortunately, suicide in children is very rare. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, less than 2 out of every one million children ages 5 to 11 will die by suicide. The rate among adolescents (ages 12-17) is about 52 per million. On average, about 33 children under 12 kill themselves each year in the US (Bridge et al., 2015)
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...rent-must-know

By comparison, what percentage of kids do you think is brutalized or abused by parents or other adults?
Quote:
Although the incidence of child abuse and neglect has been decreasing, at least 678,000 children, or almost 9.2 in every 1,000 children in the United States, were abused in 2018, according to the Children’s Bureau.
https://www.verywellmind.com/child-a...istics-2633350

And those are only the ones hurt so badly that they come to official attention. So which of us is ill-informed? The link I posted was based on the observations of teachers and doctors. And whutchu mean by "right-wing mongrels?" I don't think facts have a political orientation.

Last edited by Bob001; 4th May 2020 at 09:24 PM.
Old 4th May 2020, 11:31 PM   #71
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Speaking of one doesn't diminish the other.
You ignored it completely to start with, which does.

But you are entirely wrong to claim "50/50." According to this, in 16 years roughly 1300 children killed themselves. That's less than 100 per year, and we don't know if bullying was always the cause Tragic enough, but events like this get so much attention because they're so rare.
Your link is only looking at 12 & under. Are you just going to sweep the 13-17 year-olds under the mat so they don't upset your statistics?

You're not comparing like with like at all.

Exactly as under:

And those are only the ones hurt so badly that they come to official attention.
Yet, your own link states at the very start:

Quote:
Neglect is the most common form of child abuse which affects about 60 percent of child abuse victims. Neglect is defined as a parent or guardian fails to provide for their child's basic needs. Forms of neglect include medical, educational, physical, and emotional neglect.
I'm not going to defend people neglecting their kids, but it's clearly not "so badly hurt they come to official attention".

So which of us is ill-informed?
Looks like you at this stage, especially in light of posting what appears to be deliberately misleading statistics and what they really show.

The link I posted was based on the observations of teachers and doctors.
Yes, they're called "anecdotes".

Whereas the link I posted is by the US national body, the CDC, which is a big fan of science over anecdotes, I hear.

And whutchu mean by "right-wing mongrels?"
I repeat - people who deliberately spread misinformation and disinformation in an attempt to remove shutdowns.

I don't think facts have a political orientation.
That's gloriously ironic when you've just used selected facts to paint a false picture.
Old 5th May 2020, 09:03 AM   #72
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

You ignored it completely to start with, which does.

Your link is only looking at 12 & under. Are you just going to sweep the 13-17 year-olds under the mat so they don't upset your statistics?

You're not comparing like with like at all.

Exactly as under:

Yet, your own link states at the very start:

I'm not going to defend people neglecting their kids, but it's clearly not "so badly hurt they come to official attention".

Looks like you at this stage, especially in light of posting what appears to be deliberately misleading statistics and what they really show.

Yes, they're called "anecdotes".

Whereas the link I posted is by the US national body, the CDC, which is a big fan of science over anecdotes, I hear.

I repeat - people who deliberately spread misinformation and disinformation in an attempt to remove shutdowns.

That's gloriously ironic when you've just used selected facts to paint a false picture.

Your claim is that children are no worse off at home than in school ("50/50"), and you specifically referred to suicide rates. Numerous sources say that suicide among children, though tragic, is rare, abuse of all kinds by the adults in children's lives is common, and children who are not in school can't get help from teachers and other authorities. Your CDC pamphlet about bullying doesn't say a word about numbers or rates or offer any comparisons, and yet you dismiss observations by teachers and doctors on the front lines as irrelevant "anecdotes." And then you claim that anybody who doesn't buy into your self-serving delusions are "right-wing mongrels."

You made the off-the-wall claim. Prove it.
Old 5th May 2020, 02:13 PM   #73
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Your claim is that children are no worse off at home than in school ("50/50"), and you specifically referred to suicide rates. Numerous sources say that suicide among children, though tragic, is rare,...
Must be some new meaning of the word "rare" I'm unfamiliar with.

Since CDC isn't a satisfactory source for you, let's go the raw data and see how "rare" something is. There are 17 million high school students in USA. 2.4% of those kids attempt suicide successfully enough to need medical attention.

I make that 17,000,000 x 2.4% = 408,000. Obviously, the deaths are a very small minority of those cases, but it shows the level of harm suicides cause in that age group.

The actual number of deaths is a bit obscure, but we know that over 6000 young people aged 15-25 kill themselves every year.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/...vel-since-2000

... abuse of all kinds by the adults in children's lives is common, and children who are not in school can't get help from teachers and other authorities.
No kids have phones in USA?

I agree there's likely to be a surge in abuse of children, spouses and even animals as a result of the lockdowns, but whether that's worse than the reduction in harm caused at schools, I don't know. That's why I don't go around spreading stories and anecdotes.

Your CDC pamphlet about bullying doesn't say a word about numbers or rates or offer any comparisons, and yet you dismiss observations by teachers and doctors on the front lines as irrelevant "anecdotes."
You need to figure out what you're saying, because you just utterly contradicted yourself.

You claimed that "children who are not in school can't get help from teachers and other authorities", while simultaneously stating that you're relying on "observations by teachers and doctors on the front lines".

Which one's true?

And then you claim that anybody who doesn't buy into your self-serving delusions are "right-wing mongrels."
I'll just correct that again (again). I said people who deliberately post misleading information are mongrels. I don't believe you're in that group at all - I think you're just struggling to figure out a very complicated situation. Using one-dimensional data - of dubious quality - for a multi-dimensional problem.

You made the off-the-wall claim. Prove it.
Sure. Anything else you'd like help with?

Just a little appendix for you, in case you have any Asian kids at schools in USA:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/121...-racism-spikes
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-a...-hate-n1184766
https://www.columbian.com/news/2020/...ed-over-virus/

If Asian kids were at school right now, the numbers of them subject to abuse - especially in countries where the actual President and government officials are promoting anti-Chinese racism - would be horrific. Thankfully, they're only Asian, so you can just ignore that elephant.
Old 5th May 2020, 05:53 PM   #74
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Must be some new meaning of the word "rare" I'm unfamiliar with.

Since CDC isn't a satisfactory source for you, let's go the raw data and see how "rare" something is. There are 17 million high school students in USA. 2.4% of those kids attempt suicide successfully enough to need medical attention.

I make that 17,000,000 x 2.4% = 408,000. Obviously, the deaths are a very small minority of those cases, but it shows the level of harm suicides cause in that age group.

The actual number of deaths is a bit obscure, but we know that over 6000 young people aged 15-25 kill themselves every year.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/...vel-since-2000

No kids have phones in USA?

I agree there's likely to be a surge in abuse of children, spouses and even animals as a result of the lockdowns, but whether that's worse than the reduction in harm caused at schools, I don't know. That's why I don't go around spreading stories and anecdotes.

You need to figure out what you're saying, because you just utterly contradicted yourself.

You claimed that "children who are not in school can't get help from teachers and other authorities", while simultaneously stating that you're relying on "observations by teachers and doctors on the front lines".

Which one's true?

I'll just correct that again (again). I said people who deliberately post misleading information are mongrels. I don't believe you're in that group at all - I think you're just struggling to figure out a very complicated situation. Using one-dimensional data - of dubious quality - for a multi-dimensional problem.

Sure. Anything else you'd like help with?

Just a little appendix for you, in case you have any Asian kids at schools in USA:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/121...-racism-spikes
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-a...-hate-n1184766
https://www.columbian.com/news/2020/...ed-over-virus/

If Asian kids were at school right now, the numbers of them subject to abuse - especially in countries where the actual President and government officials are promoting anti-Chinese racism - would be horrific. Thankfully, they're only Asian, so you can just ignore that elephant.

It's obvious that you didn't even read the link I posted in the first place. The simple fact is that doctors are seeing fewer but much more serious injuries among young children because their teachers are no longer in a position to alert authorities about possible abuse at home. And you think citing suicide statistics among people as old as 25 has anything to do with your point? You think school bullying is the only possible reason that a child might attempt suicide? And you think death is the only bad outcome a child might face at home? You're insisting on mixing up multiple issues. Your claim was that being in school is at least as dangerous for children as being at home. But school is not where kids are being injured and murdered. And as terrible as it is, getting taunted in school is not the same as being brutalized by a parent.

I'm surprised you didn't bring school shootings into the picture. Equally irrelevant, but even more emotionally impactful.
Old 5th May 2020, 08:34 PM   #75
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

The simple fact is that doctors are seeing fewer but much more serious injuries among young children because their teachers are no longer in a position to alert authorities about possible abuse at home.
I can only take that as an admission that this statement by you about teachers was false, then:

Quote:
...yet you dismiss observations by teachers and doctors on the front lines as irrelevant "anecdotes."
And you think citing suicide statistics among people as old as 25 has anything to do with your point?
Conveniently ignoring the fact that I gave specific school statistics...

You think school bullying is the only possible reason that a child might attempt suicide? And you think death is the only bad outcome a child might face at home?
No, because we weren'
t discussing just deaths, which is why I noted - and you're ignoring - the harm from suicide attempts needing medical attention.

You're insisting on mixing up multiple issues. Your claim was that being in school is at least as dangerous for children as being at home.
You're just missing the point, because that's not what I said at all. I was pointing out that the increase in harm at home is probably matched by the decrease in harm at school.

But school is not where kids are being injured and murdered.
Srsly?

Maybe re-think that statement: https://www.pacer.org/bullying/resources/stats.asp

And as terrible as it is, getting taunted in school is not the same as being brutalized by a parent.
And that's based on evidence, of course, rather than just a feeling you have?
Old 6th May 2020, 11:26 AM   #76
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

I can only take that as an admission that this statement by you about teachers was false, then:

Conveniently ignoring the fact that I gave specific school statistics...

No, because we weren'
t discussing just deaths, which is why I noted - and you're ignoring - the harm from suicide attempts needing medical attention.

You're just missing the point, because that's not what I said at all. I was pointing out that the increase in harm at home is probably matched by the decrease in harm at school.

Srsly?

Maybe re-think that statement: https://www.pacer.org/bullying/resources/stats.asp

And that's based on evidence, of course, rather than just a feeling you have?

If you insist on claiming that there's no difference between schoolyard taunts and actual physical assault by parents so severe that it requires emergency medical care, there's no point trying to change your mind. And you still haven't read the link you're ranting about, have you?
Old 6th May 2020, 01:34 PM   #77
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

If you insist on claiming that there's no difference between schoolyard taunts and actual physical assault by parents so severe that it requires emergency medical care...
Now you're just creating strawmen - nowhere have I made that claim and have taken pains to post evidence of physical harm caused at, or by being at, school.
Old 10th May 2020, 09:08 AM   #78
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

If this is satire, it isn't even slightly funny - especially considering what thread it's in. If it's not... well, I can't say because of the MA.

You're kind of reigniting my bias against homeschooling, which I'd been slowly trying to get over, with this comment and your other recent thread. Even if you're joking. Many a true opinion has been stated in jest, and furthermore, it's just tasteless to joke about women being put in their place in a thread like this. Boy, I could rant for pages about this. I know I'm late to the party, but I will necro a thread that needs necro'd, DGAF. People didn't excoriate you sufficiently for this odious comment.
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2020, 11:23 AM   #79
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by isissxn View Post
People didn't excoriate you sufficiently for this odious comment.
Not worth the electrons given the body of work.
Old 19th May 2020, 02:30 PM   #80
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Quite interesting.

Among all of the opinions on how much extra family violence there will be, I have yet to see any factual information.

The same could be said of suicide - there were claims that the pressure of being locked up plus the financial pressure, would lead to a spike in suicides, and it's certainly been doing the rounds of Farcebook & Twatter.

However, we have some actual data available from NZ's Chief Coroner, Deborah Marshall, which shows that suicides actually dropped during the lockdown than usual, with the fewest suicides for the same period since 2008.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/hea...vid19-lockdown

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events