ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Skeptical Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2018 events , CSIcon , CSIcon 2018 , Las Vegas events

Old 12th May 2018, 05:24 PM   #1
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

Thumbs up CSICon 2018 - Bigger and Better with a Great Lineup of Guests!

I didn't see any threads about this, yet. That's weird!

https://csiconference.org/

CSCICon is bigger and better! Taking place at the Westgate hotel in Las Vegas, from October 18 to 21, 2018

Special Guests include: Stephen Fry, Steven Pinker, Adam Conover (He "ruins" everything!), Banachek, Susan Blackmore...

Plus a bunch of the usual folks: James Randi, Richard Dawkins, Yvette d'Entremont (the "SciBabe"), Susan Gerbic, Joe Nickell, etc.

That is not a complete list, either.

In this thread, we can talk about why we're going or not going, what group activities we might do around the events, who's volunteering (there is an official sign up for that on the site), and if anyone is looking for any roommates, etc.

SkeptiCamp NYC: http://www.skepticampnyc.org/
An open conference on science and skepticism, where you could be a presenter!

By the way, my first name is NOT Bowerick!!!!
Wowbagger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2018, 06:02 PM   #2
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula
Nobody should not go to this.

Disavow any knowledge of my twitter here.
gerdbonk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2018, 11:59 AM   #3
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

Incidentally, me and my current roommate, skyhar8001, can fit one or two more people in our room, if anyone wants a really cheap room rate in the actual, official hotel.

Sure, you might get something of a similar price using Air BnB, or something. But, this could be the best rate you're gonna get for Westgate, itself!

More opportunities to party with the cool heads of the convention, when you stay at the official hotel! (And, the cool headed attendees is the best part of going!)

Wowbagger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2018, 03:05 PM   #4
Doubt
Philosopher

Working on trying to be free for that. won't know for a few weeks.

Detroit, Mexico, Detroit, Mexico....
Repeat for all of 2017 except when on vacation.
Doubt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2018, 09:25 PM   #5
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Westgate might actually be worse than the Excalibur. Hard call.

I'm staying at the Aria or the Wynn. Uber is your friend.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2018, 08:50 AM   #6
Doubt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post
Westgate might actually be worse than the Excalibur. Hard call.

I'm staying at the Aria or the Wynn. Uber is your friend.
If I go I will likely pick a hotel along the monorail line to get there.

Doubt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 09:10 AM   #7
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

Originally Posted by Doubt View Post
If I go I will likely pick a hotel along the monorail line to get there.
The Westgate IS on the Monorail, by the way.

I remember when it was the Hilton, and they felt they needed the Monorail station for themselves, because they were off the strip, and could use the extra traffic they thought it would generate. Little did they know it the whole Monorail system would be so darn under-utilized.

Old 16th May 2018, 11:35 AM   #8
Doubt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Wowbagger View Post

I remember when it was the Hilton, and they felt they needed the Monorail station for themselves, because they were off the strip, and could use the extra traffic they thought it would generate. Little did they know it the whole Monorail system would be so darn under-utilized.
I know it is. I have been there. That is why I will stay someplace else if I go.

Old 23rd May 2018, 09:31 PM   #9
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Wowbagger View Post

One reason is that it costs $5 a ride, or $13 a day. If they had any sense, the city would subsidize it, maybe even make it free, to encourage use and get cars off the Strip.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2018, 11:04 PM   #10
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
One reason is that it costs $5 a ride, or $13 a day. If they had any sense, the city would subsidize it, maybe even make it free, to encourage use and get cars off the Strip.
I think it's biggest problem is that it doesn't go to the highest traffic locations of the area: The airport nor Downtown Las Vegas. If it went to either of those, or both, it would get a TON more usage. But, that would also aggravate the ire of the taxicab unions.

There IS a tentative plan to connect it to the airport. But, they're not going to do that, until they somehow settle the issues their opposition has over doing so.

I believe the monorail was built with the assumption that the hotel chains would be able to pay for its construction and maintenance; and NOT have it subsidized by the city. That was the agreement they made. The locals don't want their precious taxes to pay for it, see. So, I doubt it will be subsidized any time soon.

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Skeptical Events