ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Graham Hancock , joe rogan , michael shermer , zahi hawass

Reply
Old 17th November 2017, 06:11 AM   #1201
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 13,151
Originally Posted by JesseCuster View Post
Do you imagine that ancient travellers were travelling across the ocean floor when going from Easter Island to South America?

You haven't thought any of this through at all.
Well...

Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2017, 08:02 AM   #1202
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,212
Originally Posted by JesseCuster View Post
What's your contention for what we're looking at? The idea of the trees being planted as a Chilean government project in the 1960s is apparently too absurd for you to even entertain, so therefore they lied about creating it and it's really a 12,000 year old something or other created by ancient South Americans who were part of a global civilisation that had something to do with Gobleki Tepe and Easter Island? Even though the trees have a lifespan measured in hundreds of years? And these trees still exist and the site has maintained the same neat lines of rows after 12,000 years? The original trees haven't been replaced by new wild growth as you'd expect to happen?

If that's not what you're claiming, then what exactly are you claiming? As is your modus operandi, you're being quite coy about what exactly you're saying about this site other than disbelieving what you're been told about it for no other reason that sheer incredulity and a lot of shoddy ideas (such as your bizarre idea of it containing billions of trees) about it with no basis in fact.

Have you thought through the ramifications of what you're implying with these posts?
I just found this place, and everyone wants me to be clear about what I'm "claiming"...???

I have no clue what any of this means, or what 'dates' should be employed.

I never said anything about EI or these sights dating to 12,000...EI has been re-occupied, throughout the millennia and if these initial orchards are connected to them, this date isn't necessary.

So, I am not in any way prepared to make a claim yet...other than to say the trees photographed in all those pictures were NOT planted by the local government...then endangered by a bombing target area. That is complete hogwash.

IF you believe that, I have a bridge and some magic beans for you.

As for the lines I followed... They aren't anomalies...they lead to places with orchards and layouts for other such plantings all up and down the west coast of the Americas. None of them are as big as the one I have posted, but they all have similar trees of the same sizes as those I found and posted in the previous pictures.

I have been looking for the parallel forest for decades...and to have found several using Google Earth...WOW.

If you'd like, use this technique and post your findings. I have to write 4 pages on my data and design portion, so I'll be back thereafter. (*Anyone here ever written a thesis or dissertation? I am considering creating a post over in the Education Section...)

Last edited by King of the Americas; 17th November 2017 at 08:04 AM.
King of the Americas is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2017, 08:07 AM   #1203
Sparhafoc
New Blood
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: กรุงเทพ
Posts: 22
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
I just found this place, and everyone wants me to be clear about what I'm "claiming"...???

I have no clue what any of this means, or what 'dates' should be employed.

...

So, I am not in any way prepared to make a claim yet...other than to say the trees photographed in all those pictures were NOT planted by the local government... That is complete hogwash.

IF you believe that, I have a bridge and some magic beans for you.

There's a contradiction there.

1) You only just 'found' this place and can't be expected to make any claims.
2) You contest the factual record and claim it is hogwash.

That is in itself a claim. Do you have any evidence for either your position that it is whatever you think it is, or that it isn't what it factually is?

You might want to hold onto those beans - whoever sold them to you must have been telling you the truth, right?
Sparhafoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2017, 08:28 AM   #1204
Crawtator
Student
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 49
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
I just found this place, and everyone wants me to be clear about what I'm "claiming"...???

I have no clue what any of this means, or what 'dates' should be employed.

I never said anything about EI or these sights dating to 12,000...EI has been re-occupied, throughout the millennia and if these initial orchards are connected to them, this date isn't necessary.

So, I am not in any way prepared to make a claim yet...other than to say the trees photographed in all those pictures were NOT planted by the local government...then endangered by a bombing target area. That is complete hogwash.

IF you believe that, I have a bridge and some magic beans for you.

As for the lines I followed... They aren't anomalies...they lead to places with orchards and layouts for other such plantings all up and down the west coast of the Americas. None of them are as big as the one I have posted, but they all have similar trees of the same sizes as those I found and posted in the previous pictures.

I have been looking for the parallel forest for decades...and to have found several using Google Earth...WOW.

If you'd like, use this technique and post your findings. I have to write 4 pages on my data and design portion, so I'll be back thereafter. (*Anyone here ever written a thesis or dissertation? I am considering creating a post over in the Education Section...)
Just to be sure I understand...

You centered GoogleEarth on EI. Then you found lines that are clearly artifacts from the photography of this geographic region. Next, you followed these lines eastward towards the Americas. The lines "clearly" led to forestation projects or something. This is evidence of global trade prior to Christopher Columbus (which I might add is nowhere near "ancient", but I digress).

Here's what I want you to do next. Pick any random angle beginning with EI and intersecting with either of the Americas. Follow said line into the American landmass. See what you find. Repeat with different angle. Record your results. I would dare say, with near certainty, that you have just discovered something that no one else ever has.

The Americas have a lot of friggin' trees.

Last edited by Crawtator; 17th November 2017 at 08:35 AM. Reason: left out italicized word...didn't make sense
Crawtator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2017, 08:49 AM   #1205
Sparhafoc
New Blood
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: กรุงเทพ
Posts: 22
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
(*Anyone here ever written a thesis or dissertation? I am considering creating a post over in the Education Section...)
Not only have I written many - including one on sacred spaces in the context of hermeneutical archaeology - but I also have to routinely grade theses.

One of the primary problems you're going to find is that theses are part of the peer review process where actual experts in the relevant fields will work overtime to locate and demolish every one of your over-reaches.

If, for example, you make a claim about the alleged ancient age of a site which is actually known to be of modern provenance, you'll find that your thesis is worth less than the paper it's written on.

That's why people like Hancock turn to popular publications, because their ideas cannot stand up to the scrutiny of experts in the field.
Sparhafoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2017, 11:11 AM   #1206
Hans
Philosopher
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,678
Originally Posted by Sparhafoc View Post
Not only have I written many - including one on sacred spaces in the context of hermeneutical archaeology - but I also have to routinely grade theses.

One of the primary problems you're going to find is that theses are part of the peer review process where actual experts in the relevant fields will work overtime to locate and demolish every one of your over-reaches.

If, for example, you make a claim about the alleged ancient age of a site which is actually known to be of modern provenance, you'll find that your thesis is worth less than the paper it's written on.

That's why people like Hancock turn to popular publications, because their ideas cannot stand up to the scrutiny of experts in the field.
Yep, if a student showed up with the stuff he 'has' he'd be sent back to Kindergarden and told to start over.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2017, 11:25 AM   #1207
JesseCuster
Muse
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 670
KotA, post an image of one of your underwater straight line features that you followed on Google Earth. I guarantee it isn't what you think it is and is just an artefact of the data on Google Earth.
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2017, 03:35 PM   #1208
Hans
Philosopher
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,678
Oh my he does seem to be going off the deep end

Quote:
ccording to Google themselves, ship tracks are the leftover traces of an oceanic depth measuring process called “echosounding”. Google previously wrote about the process when many of their users thought they might have stumbled onto remnants of Atlantis on Google Earth several years back.
http://weekinweird.com/2013/05/18/re...-bottom-ocean/

https://googleblog.blogspot.ca/2009/...lant-isnt.html



KOTA suffers from a common fringe brain/reality problem: if he sees something he doesn't understand, he doesn't look it up, he doesn't ask a question, instead his default is to scream and yell its evidence for the lost civilization.

Its almost like a knee jerk reaction.

The comedy value is immense!
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2017, 06:59 PM   #1209
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,212
Using useless data to find stuff, makes the data NOT useless...
King of the Americas is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2017, 07:03 PM   #1210
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing
 
John Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Iowa USA
Posts: 11,645
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
I just found this place, and everyone wants me to be clear about what I'm "claiming"...???
[...]
You've been here since 2001, you lying ass.
__________________
Credibility is not a boomerang. If you throw it away, it's not coming back.
John Jones is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2017, 07:09 PM   #1211
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing
 
John Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Iowa USA
Posts: 11,645
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
Using useless data to find stuff, makes the data NOT useless...

That's preposterous. GIGO
__________________
Credibility is not a boomerang. If you throw it away, it's not coming back.
John Jones is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2017, 07:28 PM   #1212
EHocking
Philosopher
 
EHocking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 6,414
Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
You've been here since 2001, you lying ass.
Just to clarify, are calling him a donkey or a donkey’s arse?

Enquiring minds etc
__________________
"A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
Prayer: "a sophisticated way of pleading with thunderstorms." T.Pratchett
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2017, 08:09 PM   #1213
Maksutov
Scholar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 103
Plato and the theosophists, Le Plongeon and other crackpots, left a rich vein of fool's gold. But some hustlers can transform it into real gold from fools.
Maksutov is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2017, 08:44 PM   #1214
Hans
Philosopher
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,678
Originally Posted by Maksutov View Post
Plato and the theosophists, Le Plongeon and other crackpots, left a rich vein of fool's gold. But some hustlers can transform it into real gold from fools.
Yeah those who can write well can feed people's thirst for the 'magical'. Aliens, bigfoot, monsters and lost civilizations - all hidden from the common people by evil scientists and governments.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2017, 08:44 PM   #1215
JesseCuster
Muse
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 670
Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
You've been here since 2001, you lying ass.
In his defense, I think that "just found this place" refers to the Chilean tree plantation, not to these forums.

Not that it helps his case.

I noticed in the Atlantis/Menorah thread, KotA was very coy about being explicit about what it was he was claiming and he's not pulling the same trick, implying that he isn't really saying anything about the tree plantation in Chile.

Except he's really saying a lot.

He thinks that it's a preposterous lie that it exists as a result of a 1960s tree planting project by the Chilean government. No reason has been given for why he believes this to be a lie, apparently the idea is just prima facie absurd and should be rejected outright.

He has explicitly claimed that the tree plantation is evidence of a pre-Columbian global trade system. The reason he thinks this is because when looking at Easter Island on Google Earth, he followed a Google Earth mapping artefact created by long stretches of underwater data being higher resolution than the available data in the surrounding sea floor. Following one of these straight lines led him to this tree plantation in Chile. Therefore pre-Columbian global trade routes.

I can't figure out the logic behind this at all. It's not that I disagree with it, I just can't find a coherent argument in KotA's posts regarding the tree plantation that lead to a conclusion of pre-Columbian global trade in order to deconstruct it.

It's all very silly and getting quite pathetic.
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2017, 08:48 PM   #1216
Hans
Philosopher
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,678
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
Using useless data to find stuff, makes the data NOT useless...
Making stuff up and pretending it is real is a sign of being a follower of 'ignis fatuus'.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2017, 09:58 PM   #1217
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,657
Originally Posted by JesseCuster View Post
KotA was very coy about being explicit about what it was he was claiming
He's copying Erich von Däniken's technique in "Chariot of the Gods". He will mention a whole lot of things and then ask fuzzy rhetorical questions that don't connect to the things he mentioned.

If you try to counter his rhetoric, you are forced to set out his implied claim and he can just say "I never said that".
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2017, 10:47 PM   #1218
Hans
Philosopher
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,678
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
He's copying Erich von Däniken's technique in "Chariot of the Gods". He will mention a whole lot of things and then ask fuzzy rhetorical questions that don't connect to the things he mentioned.

If you try to counter his rhetoric, you are forced to set out his implied claim and he can just say "I never said that".
Passive aggressive trolling. lol
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:07 AM   #1219
Roboramma
Philosopher
 
Roboramma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 9,905
Hancock does exactly the same thing in the OP video.
__________________
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:19 AM   #1220
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 13,151
Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
Hancock does exactly the same thing in the OP video.
Hancock has built an entire career on it.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:14 AM   #1221
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,212
Originally Posted by JesseCuster View Post
In his defense, I think that "just found this place" refers to the Chilean tree plantation, not to these forums.

Not that it helps his case.

I noticed in the Atlantis/Menorah thread, KotA was very coy about being explicit about what it was he was claiming and he's not pulling the same trick, implying that he isn't really saying anything about the tree plantation in Chile.

Except he's really saying a lot.

He thinks that it's a preposterous lie that it exists as a result of a 1960s tree planting project by the Chilean government. No reason has been given for why he believes this to be a lie, apparently the idea is just prima facie absurd and should be rejected outright.

He has explicitly claimed that the tree plantation is evidence of a pre-Columbian global trade system. The reason he thinks this is because when looking at Easter Island on Google Earth, he followed a Google Earth mapping artefact created by long stretches of underwater data being higher resolution than the available data in the surrounding sea floor. Following one of these straight lines led him to this tree plantation in Chile. Therefore pre-Columbian global trade routes.

I can't figure out the logic behind this at all. It's not that I disagree with it, I just can't find a coherent argument in KotA's posts regarding the tree plantation that lead to a conclusion of pre-Columbian global trade in order to deconstruct it.

It's all very silly and getting quite pathetic.
The intellectual dishonesty exercised here is the only thing pathetic...

That tree plantation was NOT planted in the 1960's because:

-They couldn't afford it
-ALL of the pictures posted have been of fully matured trees
-There's a bombing run site right next to it, because everyone knows if you want to spend untold billions to plant and maintain a forest, you should definitely practice dropping bombs next to it.
-They're all the same age, seemingly.
-The trees weren't maintained or replanted.

I don't believe the Google Earth lines are mapping artifacts because I have used them to find other plantations and other desert grid patterns.

ETA: Okay, try this look for the spending...The government shows no signs of an increase in budgetary spending in the 1960's...

"During the 1950s inflation become a serious problem in Chile. There was a consensus that inflationary pressures rested on excessive money creation and remarkably lax fiscal policy (Edwards (1985)). Under Alessandri ́s administration, 1958-1964, a stabilization process was launched with the aim of containing inflation and reducing public spending. In 1960 and 1961, inflation declined importantly to single-digit figures, from levels of more than 30% during the previous decade (see Table 1). After 1962, however, inflation came back to its historical levels, with a fiscal deficit that, though not exorbitant, seemed to constitute a source of inflationary pressures in a context in which fiscal debt was an stable proportion of GDP (around 30%) . In subsequent years, during the Frei administration, 1964-1970, some economic reforms were undertaken. One of the first measures was to reduce the public deficit, however, in 1967 and as a consequence of political pressures, this attempt was abandoned. The Frei administration also attempted to liberalize trade, although its success was limited. As consequence of these failed reforms, towards the end of 1970, the performance of the Chilean economy was disappointing: GDP growth was 1.9% whereas inflation reached 35%. (*https://bfi.uchicago.edu/sites/defau...and_Fiscal.pdf)

Last edited by King of the Americas; Yesterday at 05:26 AM.
King of the Americas is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:27 AM   #1222
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,212
You 'skeptics'...have become full throat swallowers.
King of the Americas is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:26 AM   #1223
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 13,151
So links to international academic documents and reports, information on similar projects in other countries using the Chilean project as a model aren't enough?

As for the bombing run. In Keilder Forest and the other man made forest areas in Cumbria and Northumberland there are several bomb ranges used by NATO. One of the forests at Spadeadam contains a mock up of an entire air base used for practice attacks. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Spadeadam. They make sure the bombs land on the ranges and not at random in the forest.

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; Yesterday at 06:30 AM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:00 AM   #1224
JesseCuster
Muse
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 670
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
The intellectual dishonesty exercised here is the only thing pathetic...

That tree plantation was NOT planted in the 1960's because:

-They couldn't afford it
What would the cost have been of the tree planting project? What would the budget available to the Chilean government for the project? Unless you can provide those numbers, then this is a completely meaningless objection. There's no reason to think you are right, and given the facts in evidence, you are clearly wrong.

Have you made an attempt whatsoever to show that the Chilean government couldn't have afforded such a thing? Given your rather shoddy desperate early attempt to claim that there were billions of trees, I wouldn't believe any numbers you provided that you couldn't reliably source anyway. All you have is your own personal sense of incredulity based upon a bunch of invented facts.

Quote:
-ALL of the pictures posted have been of fully matured trees
So what? Can you at least to attempt to fold this into some sort of argument instead of simply mentioning it as if it's obvious what you're implying by it?

When were the photos taken? If the photos you've seen were from decades after the trees were planted, then of course they were mature.

Have you made any attempt to look for photographs of the plantation when it was young? No, of course you haven't.

What do you think photos of young trees at the site would prove? You think the tree plantation is [i]at least[/u] 500+ years old so what do you think photos of young trees there would prove?

Why would the trees being all the same age or you not being able to find (or more likely, not bothering to attempt to find) photos of the trees when they were young, imply that the site is of pre-Columbian age? I can't make sense of this at all.

Your objections are just a bunch of incoherent nonsense with no rationale behind them.

Quote:
-There's a bombing run site right next to it, because everyone knows if you want to spend untold billions to plant and maintain a forest, you should definitely practice dropping bombs next to it.
"Untold billions" is assuming facts not in evidence. Given your hilarious attempt to estimate the number of trees planted, without facts to back you up, why should any believe you're made up "countless billions" budget for the project?

Quote:
-They're all the same age, seemingly.
Given that they were planted at the same time, why wouldn't they be the same age? Again, please explain this objection because it doesn't appear to be an objection at all. Why does the trees being of the same age (and remember you've pointed out that the species has a life expectancy in mere hundreds of years) mean that the tree plantation is 500+ years old?

Quote:
I don't believe the Google Earth lines are mapping artifacts because I have used them to find other plantations and other desert grid patterns.
You can find all sorts of weird **** on Google Earth without using any sort of methodology. You'll find all sorts of patterns and things in the deserts. Just look for long enough and all sorts of weird and wonderful things will reveal themselves. It has nothing to do with following lines in the sea, which are clearly not ancient "guild posts". Draw your own lines on Google Earth and follow them and you'll find interesting things that have nothing to do with the lines you've followed.

The lines you're looking at are in some cases miles wide and thousands of miles long. How (and more importantly, why) would ancient peoples have produced such epic sea floor engineering back in the day? For what possible purpose could such a thing serve? What kind of manpower and technology would be needed for such a project? This would make the pyramids seem like a kid's Lego constructions.

It's hilarious that you think your tree plantation isn't modern because the Chilean government couldn't possibly have had the budget or logistical capability, but you think that thousands of years ago people were putting miles wide and thousands of miles long constructions thousands of feet below the surface of the Pacific Ocean? Have you any idea just how ridiculous that sounds? How can you believe such nonsense while being so incredulous at a modern government doing a project that is far, far, far smaller and simpler?

Quote:
ETA: Okay, try this look for the spending...The government shows no signs of an increase in budgetary spending in the 1960's...<snip>
You've shown no evidence that the cost of this project would have prohibitory. You've offered no facts or evidence to make your case, all you have is sheer naked incredulity. And it's obvious that your incredulity is simply the result of you wanting to believe that there's something mysterious or ancient about your desert tree plantation.

Why do you think the Chilean government would make up a lie about planting trees in the desert in the 1960s?

Why did no-one report that the tree plantation they pretended to have created previously exists?

Why would anyone lie about such a bizarre thing and how would they get away with such blatant nonsense?

There's all sorts of implications from what you're claiming (and despite your protests, you're most definitely making claims) but like a lot of fringists, you don't go into the implications because they will show up just how truly odd and bizarre you're claims are.

Last edited by JesseCuster; Yesterday at 07:08 AM.
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:01 AM   #1225
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,212
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
So links to international academic documents and reports, information on similar projects in other countries using the Chilean project as a model aren't enough?

As for the bombing run. In Keilder Forest and the other man made forest areas in Cumbria and Northumberland there are several bomb ranges used by NATO. One of the forests at Spadeadam contains a mock up of an entire air base used for practice attacks. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Spadeadam. They make sure the bombs land on the ranges and not at random in the forest.
"on similar projects in other countries"...?

Right, No.

The Chilean government COULD NOT have planted those orchards, when it is claimed to have. There is zero evidence that they could or did spend untold billions planting and watering millions of trees in the desert in the 1960's...from seeds or plants already 14-22 feet tall.

It didn't happen buddy. These artificial forests are much older than a mere 60 years.

Date this ruin, for the actual creation date of this forest:

Lat. 19°49'16.02"S
Long. 69°47'36.48"W

---

Okay, use the other google earth features, turn on EVERYTHING...roads, pictures, borders...and look at the pictures of the rock work on the ruins. Definitely NOT 1960's.

Last edited by King of the Americas; Yesterday at 07:22 AM.
King of the Americas is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:03 AM   #1226
StackOverflow
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 76
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
You 'skeptics'...have become full throat swallowers.
The "king" has always been a habitual liar
__________________
Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are god.


Christopher Hitchens
StackOverflow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:11 AM   #1227
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 13,151
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
"on similar projects in other countries"...?

Right, No.

The Chilean government COULD NOT have planted those orchards, when it is claimed to have. There is zero evidence that they could or did spend untold billions planting and watering millions of trees in the desert in the 1960's...from seeds or plants already 14-22 feet tall.

It didn't happen buddy. These artificial forests are much older than a mere 60 years.

Date this ruin, for the actual creation date of this forest:

Lat. 19°49'16.02"S
Long. 69°47'36.48"W

I posted a link to a study paper detailing similar projects in Spain that use the Chilean project as a model and even use the same trees. You obviously haven't looked at any of the links people have been providing.


As for your 'ruin' What tells you it is a ruin?
I see a rectangle of cleared ground around what could be a building or merely an enclosed area in what looks like cultivated ground.
It is alongside a modern road a short distance away from modern agricultural buildings.
It's not even close to the tree plantations. How does it say anything about their age?

Why would these plantations cost 'untold billions' to plant and maintain?
In addition the plantations have been added to and expanded since the 60s. They weren't all put in at the same time.
Do plantations around the world cost 'untold billions'?

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; Yesterday at 07:13 AM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:00 AM   #1228
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,212
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
I posted a link to a study paper detailing similar projects in Spain that use the Chilean project as a model and even use the same trees. You obviously haven't looked at any of the links people have been providing.


As for your 'ruin' What tells you it is a ruin?
I see a rectangle of cleared ground around what could be a building or merely an enclosed area in what looks like cultivated ground.
It is alongside a modern road a short distance away from modern agricultural buildings.
It's not even close to the tree plantations. How does it say anything about their age?

Why would these plantations cost 'untold billions' to plant and maintain?
In addition the plantations have been added to and expanded since the 60s. They weren't all put in at the same time.
Do plantations around the world cost 'untold billions'?
I check out every link you provided. NO pictures of digging, planting, or watering seeds into saplings, or planting fully grown 14 ft tall trees in Chile in the 1960's.

If you'll zoom out and look to the surrounding area, you'll see the old support mechanisms for this orchard. There are roads with small swelling, and smaller garden plots can still be seen.

Why or How, untold "billions"...?

Do you know how much diesel it takes to plow ONE strip 12 miles long in a tractor from the 1960's? (*http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/vi...actormuseumlit) 17 gpm with a 48 gallon tank. One tractor's tank = 3 miles = $10-12 (?)...the tractor is a few thousand, pay a driver a day's wages. Each square requires a row every 45 feet, .61 miles long. That 144 rows multiplied by .61 = 87 miles of plowing for one square (of which there are hundreds). One tractor could plow one square is say a month, with no days off...? Do the rest of the math!

And that's just the first plowing...someone surveyed the land laying out perfectly straight rows for miles, then planters places three seeds OR fully grown trees into 'holes' and then watered until established...all to feed some goats and sheep...REALLY?

Doesn't swallowing such non-sense make you ill?

Check out the pictures of the ruins made available by Google Earth.
King of the Americas is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:01 AM   #1229
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,212
Originally Posted by StackOverflow View Post
The "king" has always been a habitual liar
Pardon me kettle...
King of the Americas is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:45 AM   #1230
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 13,151
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
I check out every link you provided. NO pictures of digging, planting, or watering seeds into saplings, or planting fully grown 14 ft tall trees in Chile in the 1960's.

If you'll zoom out and look to the surrounding area, you'll see the old support mechanisms for this orchard. There are roads with small swelling, and smaller garden plots can still be seen.

Why or How, untold "billions"...?

Do you know how much diesel it takes to plow ONE strip 12 miles long in a tractor from the 1960's? (*http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/vi...actormuseumlit) 17 gpm with a 48 gallon tank. One tractor's tank = 3 miles = $10-12 (?)...the tractor is a few thousand, pay a driver a day's wages. Each square requires a row every 45 feet, .61 miles long. That 144 rows multiplied by .61 = 87 miles of plowing for one square (of which there are hundreds). One tractor could plow one square is say a month, with no days off...? Do the rest of the math!

And that's just the first plowing...someone surveyed the land laying out perfectly straight rows for miles, then planters places three seeds OR fully grown trees into 'holes' and then watered until established...all to feed some goats and sheep...REALLY?

Doesn't swallowing such non-sense make you ill?

Check out the pictures of the ruins made available by Google Earth.
It seems everone else in the world thinks these are plantations that were started in the 60s and have been developed over the last fifty years.

Why do you assume only 14ft saplings?

At the moment for pine the seedling costs are about $25 per acre, for hardwoods it's around $60 per acre at 800 trees per acre. Planting costs are about $40 per acre on open range.

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; Yesterday at 08:46 AM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:48 AM   #1231
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 13,151
I am no longer responding to any further posts on the forests. It is a standard CT tactic to bog a losing argument down in some irrelevant specific claim that has no bearing on the main topic. See any 9/11 or Apollohoax thread.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:52 AM   #1232
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,212
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
It seems everone else in the world thinks these are plantations that were started in the 60s and have been developed over the last fifty years.

Why do you assume only 14ft saplings?

At the moment for pine the seedling costs are about $25 per acre, for hardwoods it's around $60 per acre at 800 trees per acre. Planting costs are about $40 per acre on open range.
One, I am not assuming anything...

Two different links provided said two different things. The first said they were saplings, the second said they were planted as three seeds to each spot.

Two, NO SUCH SPENDING ALLOCATION APPEARS IN THE CHILEAN GOVERNMENT.

Lastly...LOOK AT THE PICTURES. Those stone ruins are not from the 1960's.
King of the Americas is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:03 AM   #1233
JesseCuster
Muse
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 670
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
Two, NO SUCH SPENDING ALLOCATION APPEARS IN THE CHILEAN GOVERNMENT.
But we all know that you have made no attempt whatsoever to look for such spending allocation. You're just assuming that such spending doesn't exist because of your oddball conclusion that this is some sort of ancient thingamajig instead of something more modern.

So how do you know that this is true? You're just making this up.

Quote:
Lastly...LOOK AT THE PICTURES. Those stone ruins are not from the 1960's.
Even if this is true, then so what? An old stone ruin beside a tree plantation does not make the tree plantation the same age as the ruins. What the hell are you talking about?

Old things can exist beside new things. You've truly jumped the shark here.
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:04 AM   #1234
StackOverflow
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 76
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
One, I am not assuming anything...
Lie

Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
Two different links provided said two different things. The first said they were saplings, the second said they were planted as three seeds to each spot.
Lie
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
Two, NO SUCH SPENDING ALLOCATION APPEARS IN THE CHILEAN GOVERNMENT.
Lie
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
Lastly...LOOK AT THE PICTURES. Those stone ruins are not from the 1960's.
Lie

When did you become a full time liar?
__________________
Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are god.


Christopher Hitchens
StackOverflow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:57 AM   #1235
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 1,841
Originally Posted by StackOverflow View Post
The "king" has always been a habitual liar
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
Pardon me kettle...
Please provide links to posts by StackOverflow that are lies, or admit you were wrong.
Again.
__________________
Fortuna Faveat Fatuis
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:32 AM   #1236
Sparhafoc
New Blood
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: กรุงเทพ
Posts: 22
King of the Americas - are you pulling everyone's leg?

I can't see any logic behind your contentions.

You say the Chilean government couldn't afford to forest the area, but the area is clearly forested by design, and documents show that it is a well known and studied public work.

You say that 14 foot saplings couldn't have been planted, but who is saying that the saplings were 14 foot tall? Obviously, the saplings were smaller, much smaller, and have since grown.

You say that a nearby ruin somehow dates the site, but there's simply no logic in the notion that something nearby provides a date for the planting of an orchard in its locality.

I asked you before about your contention that a society couldn't cut interlocking stones without a written language, because that seems similarly lacking in any logical connection between the two parts of the claim.

So even if I were to assume you're on to something, and that you've discovered something amazing, you're still going to need to justify these contentions because they all amount to non-sequiturs.
Sparhafoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:45 AM   #1237
Hans
Philosopher
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,678
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
I am no longer responding to any further posts on the forests. It is a standard CT tactic to bog a losing argument down in some irrelevant specific claim that has no bearing on the main topic. See any 9/11 or Apollohoax thread.
Yep he is trying to kill it because he was torn to pieces earlier - I am out too. I came originally when I noted a person trying to pretend to be an expert on Andean stone carving - he certainly wasn't.

Thanks to all the other folks who provided interesting information - you are wasting your time with this troll.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:58 PM   #1238
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing
 
John Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Iowa USA
Posts: 11,645
Argumentum ad Caps Lock - Invalid
__________________
Credibility is not a boomerang. If you throw it away, it's not coming back.
John Jones is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:09 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.