IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 16th December 2012, 04:56 PM   #1
CplFerro
Graduate Poster

WBC Attempts New Low

Westboro Baptist Church Says It Will Picket Vigil For Connecticut School Shooting Victims

The troubling thing is, are they really off-base here? God is an egomaniac concerned foremostly with His own glory; all other concerns secondary. Many atheists propose this as a moral reason not to believe; such a God is contradictory they say and therefore nonexistent. I say, why couldn't such a thing be? The Old Testament is full of this kind of stuff, and the New Testament has God even putting Himself into the meat grinder of His own lust for glory. So...from that perspective, the WBC is a legitimate interpretation of what the Bible teaches. Proverbs 1:7 and all that.

Cpl Ferro
CplFerro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2012, 05:03 PM   #2
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CplFerro View Post
Westboro Baptist Church Says It Will Picket Vigil For Connecticut School Shooting Victims

The troubling thing is, are they really off-base here? God is an egomaniac concerned foremostly with His own glory; all other concerns secondary. Many atheists propose this as a moral reason not to believe; such a God is contradictory they say and therefore nonexistent. I say, why couldn't such a thing be? The Old Testament is full of this kind of stuff, and the New Testament has God even putting Himself into the meat grinder of His own lust for glory. So...from that perspective, the WBC is a legitimate interpretation of what the Bible teaches. Proverbs 1:7 and all that.

Cpl Ferro
If there were a God, there is no reason he could not be the sickeningly spiteful, brutal, and wicked God that the WBC portrays, but this has frequently mentioned on this forum and elsewhere.

My primary reason for not believing is the lack of evidence along with the contradictions, errors, and fallacies in all the texts. But I have repeatedly said that even if the God of the bible were shown to exist, he is a right bastard who deserves a kick in the nuts more than he deserves worship.
Old 16th December 2012, 05:09 PM   #3
StankApe
Banned

The WBC are a bunch of con artists who only wish to incite violence against their person so they can sue for damages. It's a racket.

I suspect this will either end very badly for somebody or the Patriot Rider guys will surround them with the motorcycles and drown them out.

Or the cops will find some convenient reason to require their presence to fill out paperwork until the funerals are all over.
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2012, 05:41 PM   #4
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

Nothing WBC does shocks me anymore, their the lowest form of scum on the earth and shouldn't be given any mention anywhere, ever
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2012, 06:01 PM   #5
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

To quote Steve Martin, these cretins should die like pigs in Hell.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?

Last edited by Beerina; 16th December 2012 at 06:06 PM.
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2012, 06:12 PM   #6
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

Westboro Baptist Church Hacked by Anonymous as Group Plans Protest at Sandy Hook Elementary School

http://www.christianpost.com/news/we...-school-86743/

I hope this is just the beginning of things for these scumbags.
Old 16th December 2012, 09:35 PM   #7
Kopji

Quote:
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-3.htm

1 Cor 13:3 NIV
Even if I give away everything that I have and sacrifice myself, but have no love, I gain nothing.

Barnes Notes on the Bible
...To make the case as strong as possible, Paul says that if all that a man had were dealt out in this way, in small portions, so as to benefit as many as possible, and yet were not attended "with true love toward God and toward man," it would be all false, hollow, hypocritical, and really of no value in regard to his own salvation. It would profit nothing. It would not be such an act as God would approve; it would be no evidence that the soul would be saved. Though good might be done to others, yet where the "motive" was wrong, it could not meet with the divine approbation, or be connected with his favor.
The WBC has an odd ability to make me want to stand up for Christians. They are the enemy of everyone. Their error lies deeper than mere interpretation of Christianity - their error lies in their defining love in a way that love is ultimately a violent epistemology. If we believe what we do strongly enough, nothing is taboo. If I killed them before they could do more wrong to themselves or in tempting others to wrongness, that would be true love. It is an error that transcends mere sectarian religion and strikes at the core of all of us, believer or not. They should be rejected by all people, ostracized, resisted, and allowed to preach their vile beliefs only as an example that we hold freedom of speech to be a much greater light than the darkness they promote.

Last edited by Kopji; 16th December 2012 at 09:36 PM.
Kopji is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2012, 09:37 PM   #8
StankApe
Banned

I'm skeptical that they even hold these supposed "beliefs" it all really reeks of a big litigious con game to me.

A- Be outrageous to the point of insanity

B-wait for public to become offended and react

C-sue for damages

D-profit!

although it seems much of their funding comes from donations, but they HAVE won a couple of lawsuits. so maybe I'm only half right

Last edited by StankApe; 16th December 2012 at 09:39 PM.
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2012, 09:52 PM   #9
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by StankApe View Post
I'm skeptical that they even hold these supposed "beliefs" it all really reeks of a big litigious con game to me.

A- Be outrageous to the point of insanity

B-wait for public to become offended and react

C-sue for damages

D-profit!

although it seems much of their funding comes from donations, but they HAVE won a couple of lawsuits. so maybe I'm only half right
Several lawsuits they won. You do know that a party is planned when daddy Westboro dies. A P-in right at the grave site. Then after all the ground sinks a bit,
a more solid tribute to him. Party on and may the slime burn somewhere soon!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2012, 10:15 PM   #10
devnull
Philosopher

I really dont know how anyone could be upset with these morons. They are so far beyond ridiculous that if I ran into them Id probably hang out for a while and have a good laugh with them.

It's like getting upset because a 3 year old told you that you were stupid. Most sane people would have a giggle at that, so why do so many people take these idiots seriously?
"Here we go again.... semantic and syntactic chicanery and sophistic sleight of tongue and pen.... the bedazzling magic of appearing to be saying something when in fact all that is happening is diverting attention from the attempts at shoving god through the trapdoor of illogic and wishful thinking." - Leumas
devnull is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2012, 10:16 PM   #11
Kopji

Well, They mostly a family of lawyers. I agree that ABCD is their strategy, but they are as real a church as any other. They do seem to have plenty of money from supporters, but evil like this probably attracts many who are willing to hide in the background and let these few do the 'talking'.

Maybe when you promote revelation as a source of knowledge and faith as evidence of its truth, this sort of vileness is a certainty sooner or later.

I have mixed feelings about Anonymous. If the world were easily divided into the good and evil and they just targeted the evil (evil = same causes as what I hated of course) I'd be all for them.
Kopji is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2012, 10:25 PM   #12
Kopji

Their busy schedule for this week included a local protest in Topeka against the family of a two year old who was killed in a dog attack.

I suppose there is some validity to the notion that we should just ignore them and wait for them to die lonely and unknown. But they don't. My concern is that some ideas exist like a kind of cancer, or fester and infect. Or as the Christians might say, a little leaven is all that is needed to make a loaf.
Old 16th December 2012, 10:53 PM   #13
jhunter1163
beer-swilling semiliterate

Location: Connecticut, or King Arthur's Court. Hard to tell sometimes.
The WBC are a bunch of con artists who only wish to incite violence against their person so they can sue for damages. It's a racket.

I suspect this will either end very badly for somebody or the Patriot Rider guys will surround them with the motorcycles and drown them out.

Or the cops will find some convenient reason to require their presence to fill out paperwork until the funerals are all over.
I live in Connecticut, and emotions are so raw here that if these people show up, it will likely end very badly indeed for them. And I doubt local law enforcement would do much, if anything, to stop it.
jhunter1163 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2012, 10:57 PM   #14
StankApe
Banned

Originally Posted by jhunter1163 View Post
I live in Connecticut, and emotions are so raw here that if these people show up, it will likely end very badly indeed for them. And I doubt local law enforcement would do much, if anything, to stop it.
and the really terrible thing is that it would draw attention away from the awful thing that happened, and re-direct it to the WBC . Which is,of course, exactly what they want.

They are soulless vampires...

ETA: seriously, when you are so terrible that you can unite the rest of the entire country about how terrible you are...... Then you have lost your right to exist damn near.

Last edited by StankApe; 16th December 2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old 16th December 2012, 11:11 PM   #15
SezMe
post-pre-born

I don't think so. There is one son (I forget his name) who escaped from that hell hole. I heard him talk about what it's like on the inside - his upbringing was atrocious. I think the family is truly warped and is not a con but a real obsession.

ETA: Nate Phelps (see, my memory isn't completely down the tubes).

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by SezMe; 17th December 2012 at 12:54 AM.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2012, 11:13 PM   #16
StankApe
Banned

I don't know if that's worse or not....

Perhaps it's a combo of the two?

instead of manufactured crazy beliefs, real crazy beliefs, everything else follows as listed above?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy