ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 27th March 2020, 12:07 PM   #121
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Cruises are a luxury good. Nobody needs one. A business like that would be the first to get hurt in any economic downturn, let alone what we're going through now. What was your thinking about buying into them, as opposed to retail or just index funds?
I have a "diversified" portfolio, with the biggest portion in mutual funds, but I do pick individual stocks. A few years ago, I did think the stock market was undervalued, and I took a lot of money out of cash and dumped it into stocks. This, it turned out, was a very good move, until last month.

Overall I still ended up ahead because I sold a fair amount near the peak.

Cruise lines in particular seemed to look attractive because Carnival, specifically, seemed to be in a position to attact a lot of customers who just made a bundle in the stock market. And, they paid good dividends, and were not grossly overvalued based on earnings.

Not that I'm an expert at any of this. I spend fifteen minutes and say, "That looks cool." Carnival did me fine for a little while, but this event was something that blindsided everyone. As I've said before, if they manage to avoid bankruptcy, with or without a bailout, I think they are cheap right now, but it's a bit risky for my taste at the moment.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2020, 07:55 PM   #122
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

So, they did the stimulus and the major cruise companies aren't getting anything.

Cruise lines, early source of coronavirus infections, out of bailout package

Quote:
Language in the 883-page bill passed by the Senate says that to be eligible for aid from the $500 billion fund companies must be certified as “created or organized in the United States or under the laws of the United States" as well as having “significant operations in” and a majority of employees based in the United States.

Major cruise companies have located their primary headquarters overseas, which for years has allowed them to pay almost no federal taxes and avoid some U.S. regulations. To staff their ships, the companies rely heavily on foreign workers from the Philippines, Indonesia and India.

The industry’s trade group, the Cruise Lines International Association, acknowledged Thursday that the major cruise lines weren’t included in the package, despite providing a plan to policymakers, meeting with Vice President Pence, and a phone call from Micky Arison, chairman of the Carnival Corp., to President Trump.
Old 27th March 2020, 08:04 PM   #123
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Harumph. Don’t you hate those moralistic senators.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics