ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old Yesterday, 12:13 AM   #841
MoeFaux
Suspicious Mind

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
I don't suppose you have any pineapple juice?

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/f...starter-381479

You can also make it without P juice.
Fascinating! But, laborious. Still, I bookmarked the page; thanks for that.

I purchased 2 six packs of canned pineapple juice on my last shopping trip, as I heard it was very good for cough/congestion. Have been saving it just in case, which takes restraint as it's so delicious.
Old Yesterday, 03:39 AM   #842
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
As you can see from the image below, they had TP! Not the most popular brands and varieties, but quite a bit of it. Same with paper towels. I bought some TP we don't even need. Shame on me.
The store was not very busy, most shelves had normal stock. Pasta and flour were pretty lean. But canned stuff was fine; I got four cans of Nalley's Chili. Deli offerings were sparser than usual and of course the self-serve soup and antipasto bars were closed.
Howdy neighbor! Trying QFC's pick-up* on Monday, never done that before, let alone delivery.

I ventured into the nearest Safeway today and was able to nab a 4-pack of store brand cheap TP. They have a limit of one per customer, but I have a pair of Charmin rolls left from the last purchase (hell if I can remember when), so these are just in case there is an extension of the stay-at-home (there probably will be).

Pasta is scarce, same as everywhere, but I'm a bachelor and I like to cook, so I have some on hand already. Sauce as well. Eggs were also completely cleaned out, and fruit cocktail was also picked clean, except for the heavy syrup cans (blech).

*Tried to use the Safeway service but it tells me I have an account already - I click the "forgot my password" link, the site thinks for two second, and refreshes the same screen. I'll just drive the two miles to QFC.
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:49 AM   #843
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post

At this rate I will never get rich.
Old Yesterday, 09:17 AM   #844
Myriad
Hyperthetical

People who are having real trouble finding toilet paper and need an alternative, at Lowes you can buy 4-pound (and larger) packages of cotton cloth rags. Look for "ProLine 4-Pack Cotton Cloth" for $13 (but it's not a pack of four cloths, it's four pounds, about 50 pieces of knit cotton t-shirt fabric that can be cut into smaller pieces for use). This link might work. They're reasonably square-ish pieces about a square foot in size, not long thin strips or anything annoying like that.

Other stores should have similar products, and at least around here, Lowes is well stocked with them. You can make sure they're in stock via the store's web site.

You can't flush them, of course. If necessary you can wash them and re-use them like cloth diapers. Cut to size, they'd probably make decent masks. In the worst case scenario, you can tie several together to make a crude loin cloth or bikini top for your post-apocalyptic fashion needs.

Last edited by Myriad; Yesterday at 09:19 AM.
Myriad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:53 AM   #845
Athyrio
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
If necessary you can wash them and re-use them like cloth diapers. Cut to size, they'd probably make decent masks.

Somehow, even if I wash and sanitize them, I don't think I could fashion a mask out of something I just wiped up a number 2 with.

Last edited by Athyrio; Yesterday at 09:57 AM.
Athyrio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:58 AM   #846
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Originally Posted by Athyrio View Post
Somehow, even if I wash and sanitize them, I don't think I could fashion a mask out of something I just did number 2 in.

Correct. You should use fresh ones out of the package for mask making.

For post-holocaust fashion, all options are open.
Old Yesterday, 10:00 AM   #847
sackett
Philosopher

What's all this hooten & holleren about wiping with something? Western decadence I calls it.

You know that Hindus and Muslims don't eat with their left hands. You also know why.

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:10 AM   #848
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
You know that Hindus and Muslims don't eat with their left hands. You also know why.

Honestly, I've never understood that. Not that some people wouldn't wipe at all. That makes sense under some circumstances. Few animals wipe, for one thing.

But what good does any amount of wiping with one's left hand do? The best outcome I can see for that is, now both your butt and your hand are smeared with poop, and your hand is going to be a lot closer to your nose most of the time. If you had water available you could wipe, rinse, repeat; that would work, if you're careful not to contaminate the water source. Is that what's really going on with the "use their left hand" thing? Nobody ever describes the details.
Old Yesterday, 10:22 AM   #849
carlitos
"mŠs divertido"

Two weeks ago the scarce items were the classic "stock up on for the hurricane" non-perishables: pasta, rice, beans, water, canned goods. Now I'm seeing the scarce items lean more to frozen foods especially entrees, pizza, and meals.

I shopped for 3 households yesterday and Iíll second the frozen food shortage. Everything else was there except sanitizers.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:40 AM   #850
wollery
Protected by Samurai Hedgehogs!

Honestly, I've never understood that. Not that some people wouldn't wipe at all. That makes sense under some circumstances. Few animals wipe, for one thing.

But what good does any amount of wiping with one's left hand do? The best outcome I can see for that is, now both your butt and your hand are smeared with poop, and your hand is going to be a lot closer to your nose most of the time. If you had water available you could wipe, rinse, repeat; that would work, if you're careful not to contaminate the water source. Is that what's really going on with the "use their left hand" thing? Nobody ever describes the details.
You'll always find a medium size long spouted jug right next to the toilet.

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin
wollery is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:43 AM   #851
sackett
Philosopher

Kumar could explain it better, but I

'll give it a try.

Washing hand after #2 is not polluting water, oh my goodnesh no. Holy Ganges can not be plutted.

And good Hindu bath up to waist twice times in day while praying pujah. That is getting aft part very clean I am sure.

Too bad about Muslim.

Also Chlistian if you say so.

Om.

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:19 AM   #852
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
That's entirely rational behaviour and it's not selfish, but most people doing that is enough to throw the entire system into a tailspin. That's what's happened. It's a distribution problem. Here, supermarkets are busy hiring staff as fast as they can to speed up the delivery chain. Suddenly-redundant restaurant managers are jumping at it.

The "just in time" system is very finely tuned indeed. This is actually no worse a run on stock than Christmas, but the difference is that they know Christmas is going to happen and they ramp up for it.

This (only worse) was always scheduled to happen on Brexit, unless we stayed inside the single market which Boris keeps saying won't happen. That's why I already has a stash of stuff laid by. I admit that a couple of times over the past year I have looked at the stash and thought, well if we do make it out of the EU without me needing to use this lot, and I start to use stuff and reduce the hoard, I need to take a while to think about what I should just leave there in case there's a pandemic. Who knew?

While Brexit would have screwed the supply chain we have the added issue that the food consumption that comes through restaurants, school meals, works canteens etc is practically eliminated increasing the demand on the consumer side operators too.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:42 AM   #853
rockysmith76
Muse

People who are having real trouble finding toilet paper and need an alternative, at Lowes you can buy 4-pound (and larger) packages of cotton cloth rags. Look for "ProLine 4-Pack Cotton Cloth" for $13 (but it's not a pack of four cloths, it's four pounds, about 50 pieces of knit cotton t-shirt fabric that can be cut into smaller pieces for use). This link might work. They're reasonably square-ish pieces about a square foot in size, not long thin strips or anything annoying like that.

Other stores should have similar products, and at least around here, Lowes is well stocked with them. You can make sure they're in stock via the store's web site.

You can't flush them, of course. If necessary you can wash them and re-use them like cloth diapers. Cut to size, they'd probably make decent masks. In the worst case scenario, you can tie several together to make a crude loin cloth or bikini top for your post-apocalyptic fashion needs.
carwash sponges would have potential to
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:44 AM   #854
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
carwash sponges would have potential to

I don't think they'd make as good a loincloth, though.
Old Yesterday, 11:52 AM   #855
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Had to go out today, and noted a couple of things. Of course toilet paper and just about every other paper product was gone from everywhere. Surprisingly, so, almost, was dishwasher detergent. What the? What cataclysm are people stocking up for? Many other staples gone. Plenty of plenty else, though. Lots of bread and meat and veggies. Beans, rice, enough. Cheese, yogurt, enough.

ATM was empty, but I'm hoping that was just because it's a Sunday. My brother in law is convinced there's going to be big big financial meltdown and credit cards will stop being honored after everyone maxes them out, and advocates a stash of cash. But I suspect that if you have cash in the bank, it's probably OK there at least for a while. I do suspect that, along with a post-plague surge in stocks for exterminators and the like, there will be a collapse in the market for gold and silver and such.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:57 AM   #856
welshdean
BESTEST RUGBY TEAM
        IN THE
NORTHEN HEMISPHERE

Huzzah!
Marks and Spencer food-hall near me is fully stocked and resplendent with toilet paper, eggs, pastas and bread. I think it's been given a wide berth by the great unwashed beacause it's 20-30% dearer than Asda (Walmart).
"In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken," and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion."
Carl Sagan 1934 - 1996 RIP
welshdean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:26 PM   #857
welshdean
BESTEST RUGBY TEAM
        IN THE
NORTHEN HEMISPHERE

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Last I looked the Organic Co-op near is also had flour. But it seems nobody has yeast.
Make your own, don't shower for a week or two and start scraping...

ETA: Ninja'd
"In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken," and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion."
Carl Sagan 1934 - 1996 RIP

Last edited by welshdean; Yesterday at 12:34 PM.
welshdean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:33 PM   #858
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Isn't Marmite made of yeast? Probably not active, I guess.
Old Yesterday, 01:07 PM   #859
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Isn't Marmite made of yeast? Probably not active, I guess.

Yes! I forgot about that! Beer is made with yeast and it will do in a pinch. This is for sourdough, but if you don't want it sour it will probably take less time.

http://thebeeroness.com/2016/11/01/s...-bread-recipe/

There's always chicha. (Don't chew your cud).

https://www.dogfish.com/brewery/beer/chicha
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:30 PM   #860
carlitos
"mŠs divertido"

Yesterday at a suburban grocery store, I was amused that almost all of the "natural" cleaning products were still on the shelves, while the Lysol, bleach and chemical stuff was all gone.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:58 PM   #861
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Steve View Post

At this rate I will never get rich.
But with enough Monkey Shines under your belt you wonít care.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:11 PM   #862
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

But even most of the micro brews get filtered today. But there is hope. Look for the ones with sediment in the bottles, same for wine. And fruit with the frosty/powdery look. Nectarines, plu,s. grapes. Or your last piece of bread. Or my refrigerator. No. not one of the science experiments growing in the corners, two mason jars of dry yeast. One left from my own escapade into bread making, one from a neighbor that moved in to a camper.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:46 PM   #863
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Last I looked, there were still plenty of apples, so I imagine you could mash up some apples, make cider and when it ferments use the mother from that.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:02 PM   #864
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Armed neighbors block driveway with tree to force person to quarantine.

Quote:
(CNN) - A Maine man said armed neighbors descended on his home and chopped down a tree to block his road and prevent him from leaving because they believed he may have coronavirus.

The Vinalhaven resident said he went outside Friday to check why his cable service wasn't working and found a tree blocking the end of his road, according to the Knox County Sheriff's Office.

"While investigating the downed tree, a neighbor started yelling at him and a group of people showed up and began to gather around. Believing the group may be there to harm him, (he) fled to his residence and told his roommates what he had found," the sheriff's office said/
CNN: https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/29/us/ma...rnd/index.html
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:42 PM   #865
crescent
Illuminator

Like others said - a bucket is usually nearby, with a ladle or a little cup, or a little pitcher with a spout.

1: Get a bit of water on left hand.

2: Use that water to rinse left hand.

3: Repeat until clean

4: Use bucket to wash stuff down the drain

5: Wash hands.

The left hand thing is mostly just tradition these days, but it is a really ingrained tradition. For a lot of people, the idea of eating food with the same hand you use to wipe is just disgusting, no matter now well one washes hands after the toilet. Disgust is not always very logical. Neither is tradition.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:06 PM   #866
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
Like others said - a bucket is usually nearby, with a ladle or a little cup, or a little pitcher with a spout.

The left hand thing is mostly just tradition these days, but it is a really ingrained tradition. For a lot of people, the idea of eating food with the same hand you use to wipe is just disgusting, no matter now well one washes hands after the toilet. Disgust is not always very logical. Neither is tradition.

Thanks to everyone who answered my question.
Old Yesterday, 07:12 PM   #867
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Seems like a rather sinister tradition.
Old Yesterday, 07:15 PM   #868
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
Only for Italian muslims perhaps?
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:40 PM   #869
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
I didn't learn until recently that I've been getting heraldry backwards all this time. Dexter and sinister are from the point of view of the person holding the shield...so they're the reverse of right and left from the point of view of someone facing the shield as it's hung up on a wall, for example. The More You Know! *horse noises, hawk screech, tinkly music*
Old Yesterday, 08:00 PM   #870
SpitfireIX
Illuminator

I have to go buy a WiFi booster tomorrow morning, because the signal to my desktop in my bedroom is so weak that the bandwidth is attenuated by about 98-99%. Office Depot has a cheap but well reviewed model in stock, so I'm going there, and will probably use curbside pickup.

I could justify this trip as necessary, if I have to, as I need reliable and fast Internet access to be able to work from home. (I could work around the issue, but I would take a big productivity hit from having to sneakernet files to and from my laptop.) However, there's a Kroger near Office Depot, so I could stop there, as we could use a few things. I'm leaning toward going to Meijer, though, to pick up the stuff I missed out on last time due to my bank problems. I'll resist the temptation to stop at both; there's no need to take unnecessary additional risks. I'll check their ads for sales before I leave, and decide then.
3) "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya

Last edited by SpitfireIX; Yesterday at 08:02 PM. Reason: tpyo
SpitfireIX is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:06 PM   #871
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
Only for Italian muslims perhaps?
But in Roman auspices the augurs faced south, so the joke doesn't work. Qui addit scientiam, addit et laborem! *novae coeunt infaustae strigis accipiter equus voces*

Last edited by DevilsAdvocate; Yesterday at 08:16 PM.
DevilsAdvocate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:28 PM   #872
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

There was an Indian performer at some place like the Albert Hall. She kept thinking about how disgusting it was that the hall was full of people who wipe but don't wash.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:26 PM   #873
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
There was an Indian performer at some place like the Albert Hall. She kept thinking about how disgusting it was that the hall was full of people who wipe but don't wash.
I have seen heaps of people use the public toilets and then fail to wash their hands afterwards. And many others fail to use soap to do so.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events