IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags department of justice , Devin Nunes , Trump administration , Trump controversies , Twitter incidents , William Barr

Old 19th May 2021, 03:04 PM   #1
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Trump DoJ tried to unmask Devin Nunes' Cow

No, seriously. The Trump DoJ under William Barr, used a Federal Grand Jury to obtain a subpoena for Twitter's records in an attempt to force them to reveal the identity of a number of Twitter accounts that trolled US Rep. Devin Nunes.

https://www.msnbc.com/opinion/how-de...ump-s-n1267944
....a court filing revealed the DOJ had used a grand jury subpoena in late November to seek subscriber records for a Twitter account that mocks Rep. Devin Nunes, R-Calif.

When Twitterís lawyers questioned the legal authority for the subpoena, the prosecutor said in an email that the investigation was based on potential violations of 18 U.S.C. Section 875(c), which is a federal statute that makes it a crime to communicate interstate threats to kidnap or harm the person of another.

The prosecutor declined to identify the threatening tweet. Twitter responded by filing a motion to quash the subpoena, noting its review of the accountís tweets revealed no threatening content but only posts relating to current events, government policies and Nunes himself.
Misuse of power anyone?
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2021, 04:18 PM   #2
Lurch
Master Poster

I wonder if the conservative mindset out in the population is really about "small government" and "freedom of speech". If it is, this should be a wake-up klaxon alerting them to the kind of scum they support. For the end result of minority rule is this kind of intrusiveness. Are they so needy of a strong man that they'll willingly relinquish rights? Do they seriously think the exercise of control will be selectively against the "right enemies?" Such ignorance belies history.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2021, 04:34 PM   #3
gregthehammer
Muse

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
I wonder if the conservative mindset out in the population is really about "small government" and "freedom of speech". If it is, this should be a wake-up klaxon alerting them to the kind of scum they support. For the end result of minority rule is this kind of intrusiveness. Are they so needy of a strong man that they'll willingly relinquish rights? Do they seriously think the exercise of control will be selectively against the "right enemies?" Such ignorance belies history.
It is more along the lines of "Free speech and small government for me, not for thee"
gregthehammer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2021, 04:54 PM   #4
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

They still think Trump is a "man of the people." His supporters don't understand that being an aggro dummy is all that he has in common with them.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2021, 05:09 PM   #5
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Does this surprise anyone? Really?
Old 19th May 2021, 05:36 PM   #6
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Misuse of power anyone?
I have it on good authority that it's Biden's administration that's autocratic.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2021, 06:13 PM   #7
mgidm86
Philosopher

It isn't about how bad their guy is. They are under the belief that the "radical left" is worse. It's all about fear of the left, nothing more.

They watch FOX, therefore no Republican I have spoken to personally knows who Marjorie Taylor Greene is, or Sydney Powell, or what any of them have done. I'm not exaggerating. "Hmmm think I've heard the name...."

They didn't see Giuliani with the crap running down his face, they didn't see Trump drink a glass of water with two hands.

They think BIDEN is the one who screws up words. That's how misinformed they are. They think Biden is the crook.

That misinformation campaign has been magnificent and I don't know what can be done about it. Many of them just don't know the truth, any of it. And that's on them at this point.

It's driving me nuts.
Old 19th May 2021, 06:34 PM   #8
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Fake news.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2021, 06:45 PM   #9
Belz...
Fiend God

Moo!

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics