IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Black Panthers , Bradley Schlozman , department of justice , Eric Holder , J. Christian Adams , Malik Zulu Shabazz , minutemen , racism charges , voter intimidation

Reply
Old 7th July 2010, 03:55 PM   #81
BeAChooser
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,716
Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
Yeah I have to say that is a low bar for intimidation.
Well ProjectVote is up in arms because people were "heckled" as they walked to a polling station. An even lower bar for intimidation.

Seriously, David, you wouldn't be intimidated if three black men, with attitude, wearing black panther uniforms, one brandishing a night stick in a rather menacing manner, and all of whom were reportedly making racial slurs (according to several witnesses), were standing between you and the doors to a polling station? You're a man's man, David.

Last edited by BeAChooser; 7th July 2010 at 04:03 PM.
BeAChooser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2010, 04:01 PM   #82
BeAChooser
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,716
Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
There is a stick, where is the threatening?
Just because they didn't manage to record that on videotape doesn't mean it didn't happen. There were multiple witnesses to that including polling workers and Bartle Bull, a democrat, civil rights activist and former aide to Senator Robert Kennedy. Did you bother to listen to what he described them do in the way of intimidation?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sDoY...layer_embedded
BeAChooser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2010, 04:02 PM   #83
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy
 
Upchurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 32,923
Originally Posted by BeAChooser View Post
Actually, there were 3 NBP members there and even if there was only one, does that mean it's no longer a serious crime.
I was unaware it had ever been a serious crime to be a New Black Panther member. Other than the sick, you have yet to establish that any crime had occurred.

Originally Posted by BeAChooser View Post
If only one person is at a polling station we are now going to simply ignore it? Especially if they aren't brandishing any obvious weapons. The taunts, menacing appearance and such are perfectly ok? At least as long as you're democrat?
What taunts? What menacing appearance (unless you count dressing in all black and/or combat fatigues menacing, in which case we have a bunch of angst teenagers to jail)?
Upchurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2010, 04:06 PM   #84
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy
 
Upchurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 32,923
Originally Posted by BeAChooser View Post
Just because they didn't manage to record that on videotape doesn't mean it didn't happen.
It doesn't mean it did happen, either. If that is the best they had, I'm starting to understand why the case was dropped for lack of evidence.
Upchurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2010, 04:08 PM   #85
joobz
Tergiversator
 
joobz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 17,998
Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
It doesn't mean it did happen, either. If that is the best they had, I'm starting to understand why the case was dropped for lack of evidence.
I do find this concerning:
Quote:
To support its evidence, the government had secured an affidavit from Bartle Bull, a longtime civil rights activist and former aide to Sen. Robert F. Kennedy's 1968 presidential campaign. Mr. Bull said in a sworn statement dated April 7 that he was serving in November as a credentialed poll watcher in Philadelphia when he saw the three uniformed Panthers confront and intimidate voters with a nightstick.

Inexplicably, the government did not enter the affidavit in the court case, according to the files.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ng-case/print/
It seems he was an eye witness.
Why was the affidavit not entered? What does that exactly mean?
__________________
What's the best argument for UHC? This argument against UHC.
"Perhaps one reason per capita GDP is lower in UHC countries is because they've tried to prevent this important function [bankrupting the sick] and thus carry forward considerable economic dead wood?"-BeAChooser
joobz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2010, 04:16 PM   #86
BeAChooser
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,716
Originally Posted by joobz View Post
For King, who held a weapon, this is a legitimate complaint and one I would like to know more about.
By the way, joobz, in terms of the *punishment* that was given Shabazz, it's already illegal to display a weapon at a polling place. So what punishment was he actually given?
BeAChooser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2010, 04:17 PM   #87
BeAChooser
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,716
Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
What taunts? What menacing appearance
The complaint from the government stated that the men engaged in "coercion, threats and intimidation, ... racial threats and insults, ... menacing and intimidating gestures, ... and movements directed at individuals who were present to vote." Bartle Bull said he heard one yell "You are about to be ruled by the black man, cracker!" You don't call that a taunt?

As for menacing appearance, imagine it's three Ku Klux Klan members in their uniforms, with nightsticks (or even without), standing in front of a polling place. Would that be ok in your mind, Upchurch?
BeAChooser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2010, 04:19 PM   #88
BeAChooser
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,716
Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
It doesn't mean it did happen, either.
So you are calling Bartle Bull a liar. I see. I wonder what Robert Kennedy would think of that.
BeAChooser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2010, 04:21 PM   #89
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing
 
Dancing David's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: central Illinois
Posts: 39,700
Originally Posted by BeAChooser View Post
Actually, there were 3 NBP members there and even if there was only one, does that mean it's no longer a serious crime. If only one person is at a polling station we are now going to simply ignore it? Especially if they aren't brandishing any obvious weapons. The taunts, menacing appearance and such are perfectly ok? At least as long as you're democrat?
Those aren't the words I said.

Apparently the taunts were also by the stick holder, were they not?

Menacing appearance, okay.
__________________
I suspect you are a sandwich, metaphorically speaking. -Donn
And a shot rang out. Now Space is doing time... -Ben Burch
You built the toilet - don't complain when people crap in it. _Kid Eager
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2010, 04:29 PM   #90
bynmdsue
Graduate Poster
 
bynmdsue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,892
Originally Posted by joobz View Post
Unless, of course, one considers a black man in a black coat intimidating.
Is a white man in a white robe intimidating?
bynmdsue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2010, 04:37 PM   #91
BeAChooser
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,716
Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
Apparently the taunts were also by the stick holder, were they not?
The government complaint stated that all three men were involved in that.

According to Adams (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,595683,00.html ) five attorneys worked on it: Chris Coates, Bob Popper, Spencer Fisher, Grace Chung Becker and him. When the defendants didn't show, the court found for the prosecution (against all three men). All they had to do at that point was tell the judge what punishment they wanted.

Now Adams says that Chris Coates and Bob Popper were ordered by Steve Rosenbaum and Loretta King, two political officials at the DOJ, to dismiss the case. He says there is sworn testimony from the Civil Rights Commission that Jackson (the one without the baton) tried to stop people from going to the polls. He said "witnesses testified that he tried to block them from entering the polls." What do you say we just put Coates and Popper under oath and ask what happened? And ask them what the witnesses had to say under oath? Hmmmmmm? Go ahead, read the above interview with Adams. It's pretty damning, if true. And if it's not true I'd think the democrat side of the aisle would be eager to prove it false. But they are not, are they?
BeAChooser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2010, 04:45 PM   #92
joobz
Tergiversator
 
joobz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 17,998
Originally Posted by BeAChooser View Post
By the way, joobz, in terms of the *punishment* that was given Shabazz, it's already illegal to display a weapon at a polling place. So what punishment was he actually given?
none.
__________________
What's the best argument for UHC? This argument against UHC.
"Perhaps one reason per capita GDP is lower in UHC countries is because they've tried to prevent this important function [bankrupting the sick] and thus carry forward considerable economic dead wood?"-BeAChooser
joobz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2010, 04:46 PM   #93
joobz
Tergiversator
 
joobz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 17,998
Originally Posted by bynmdsue View Post
Is a white man in a white robe intimidating?
no.
__________________
What's the best argument for UHC? This argument against UHC.
"Perhaps one reason per capita GDP is lower in UHC countries is because they've tried to prevent this important function [bankrupting the sick] and thus carry forward considerable economic dead wood?"-BeAChooser
joobz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2010, 05:09 PM   #94
BeAChooser
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,716
Originally Posted by joobz View Post
none.
Correct.
BeAChooser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2010, 05:10 PM   #95
332nd
Penultimate Amazing
 
332nd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,278
Originally Posted by bynmdsue View Post
Is a white man in a white robe intimidating?
Nope.
__________________
The poster formerly known as Redtail
332nd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2010, 06:29 PM   #96
leftysergeant
Penultimate Amazing
 
leftysergeant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 18,863
I don't care what sortrs of things Bull did in the past. He is going nuts and spewing the lunatic fringe propoganda about ACORN. Lots of former liberals have sold out over the course of 40 years. I do not find him credible. That he defends a jerk like Adams is proof to me that he is a rotten judge of character.

When they can produce credible documents, they might have a case. Otherwise, I consider the blather about orders not to prosecute black violators to be baseless rumors spread by some of the most corrupt slimeballs to have evewr worked in DoJ.

Bear in mind that most of the DoJ people in high positions at the time of the transition were hired under arguably the two worst Attorneys General the country has ever had.
leftysergeant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2010, 06:56 PM   #97
Newtons Bit
Penultimate Amazing
 
Newtons Bit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 10,023
Originally Posted by Redtail View Post
Nope.
What if he's in the process of disrobing?
__________________
"Structural Engineering is the art of molding materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze so as to understand forces we cannot really assess in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our own ignorance." James E Amrhein
Newtons Bit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2010, 07:36 PM   #98
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing
 
Puppycow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Yokohama, Japan
Posts: 27,086
Originally Posted by ANTPogo View Post
Why yes, there was. Assistant Attorney General Thomas Perez said in testimony before the Civil Rights Commission:

"In another case, in Arizona, the complaint was received by a national civil rights organization regarding events in Pima, Arizona in the 2006 election when three well-known anti-immigrant advocates affiliated with the Minutemen, one of whom was carrying a gun, allegedly intimidated Latino voters at a polling place by approaching several persons, filming them, and advocating and printing voting materials in Spanish.

In that instance, the Department declined to bring any action for alleged voter intimidation, notwithstanding the requests of the complaining parties."

He also mentioned another instance, in 2005, where the Bush DOJ didn't pursue voter intimidation charges against "armed Mississippi State investigators" who were accused of intimidating elderly minority voters by visiting them in their homes and asking them who they voted for, "in spite of state law protections that explicitly forbid such inquiries."

Perez also stated that the standards of proof for voter intimidation were incredibly high, and that in only three cases were criminal charges ever filed under Section 11(b) of the Voting Rights Act (the voter intimidation clause) since the law was passed in 1965. Three, in almost fifty years.

But I'm sure there's a really good reason that Adams (and BeAChooser) are all bent out of shape about this one particular instance, and yet were as quiet as church mice regarding every single other instance (save for thrice in forty-five years) where the DOJ declined to pursue voter intimidation charges against someone so accused.

Right?
Thanks for looking that up. That's important context.
__________________
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Puppycow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2010, 09:30 PM   #99
332nd
Penultimate Amazing
 
332nd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,278
Originally Posted by Newtons Bit View Post
What if he's in the process of disrobing?
I'm a black guy remember?
__________________
The poster formerly known as Redtail
332nd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2010, 06:09 AM   #100
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing
 
Dancing David's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: central Illinois
Posts: 39,700
Originally Posted by BeAChooser View Post
Well ProjectVote is up in arms because people were "heckled" as they walked to a polling station. An even lower bar for intimidation.
What did the heckling involve? I have not an opinion and you are off topic, unless you want to discuss similar cases where other charges were dismissed as well.
Quote:

Seriously, David, you wouldn't be intimidated if three black men, with attitude, wearing black panther uniforms, one brandishing a night stick in a rather menacing manner, and all of whom were reportedly making racial slurs (according to several witnesses), were standing between you and the doors to a polling station? You're a man's man, David.

Nice appeal to emotion, what witness and evidemce taht it was more than one member of the NBP that was engaging in taunts?



Sorry, I see people posturing like that all the time, so I judge a big differences between posing and intimidation, it is a variety of factors.
__________________
I suspect you are a sandwich, metaphorically speaking. -Donn
And a shot rang out. Now Space is doing time... -Ben Burch
You built the toilet - don't complain when people crap in it. _Kid Eager
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar

Last edited by Dancing David; 8th July 2010 at 06:16 AM.
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2010, 06:11 AM   #101
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing
 
Dancing David's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: central Illinois
Posts: 39,700
Originally Posted by BeAChooser View Post
Just because they didn't manage to record that on videotape doesn't mean it didn't happen. There were multiple witnesses to that including polling workers and Bartle Bull, a democrat, civil rights activist and former aide to Senator Robert Kennedy. Did you bother to listen to what he described them do in the way of intimidation?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sDoY...layer_embedded
Burden of proof to you Smedly.

Why don't you list your evidence?

Thanks.
__________________
I suspect you are a sandwich, metaphorically speaking. -Donn
And a shot rang out. Now Space is doing time... -Ben Burch
You built the toilet - don't complain when people crap in it. _Kid Eager
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2010, 06:12 AM   #102
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing
 
Dancing David's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: central Illinois
Posts: 39,700
Originally Posted by BeAChooser View Post
By the way, joobz, in terms of the *punishment* that was given Shabazz, it's already illegal to display a weapon at a polling place. So what punishment was he actually given?
How naive, not all legal redress is punishment.
__________________
I suspect you are a sandwich, metaphorically speaking. -Donn
And a shot rang out. Now Space is doing time... -Ben Burch
You built the toilet - don't complain when people crap in it. _Kid Eager
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2010, 06:14 AM   #103
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing
 
Dancing David's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: central Illinois
Posts: 39,700
Originally Posted by BeAChooser View Post
Bartle Bull said he heard one yell "You are about to be ruled by the black man, cracker!" You don't call that a taunt?

So your evidence is that one NBP member yelled a taunt. That would be Samir Shabazz.
__________________
I suspect you are a sandwich, metaphorically speaking. -Donn
And a shot rang out. Now Space is doing time... -Ben Burch
You built the toilet - don't complain when people crap in it. _Kid Eager
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2010, 06:15 AM   #104
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing
 
Dancing David's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: central Illinois
Posts: 39,700
Originally Posted by BeAChooser View Post
The government complaint stated that all three men were involved in that.
And the actual compaint and evidence?
__________________
I suspect you are a sandwich, metaphorically speaking. -Donn
And a shot rang out. Now Space is doing time... -Ben Burch
You built the toilet - don't complain when people crap in it. _Kid Eager
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2010, 06:21 AM   #105
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing
 
Dancing David's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: central Illinois
Posts: 39,700
http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/2009/J...9-crt-014.html
"Lawsuit Seeks to Prohibit Voter Intimidation in Future Elections"

http://www.justice.gov/crt/voting/mi...a_bpp_comp.php
"1. The Attorney General files this action seeking injunctive and declaratory relief pursuant to Section 11(b) of the Voting Rights Act of 1965, as amended, 42 U.S.C. 1973, 1973i(b) (2000)."

Allegations
"9. During his deployment at the polls on November 4, 2008, at the entrance to the polling location at 1221 Fairmount Street, and in the presence of voters, Defendant Samir Shabazz brandished a deadly weapon. The weapon deployed was a nightstick, or baton. The baton included a contoured grip and wrist lanyard. Throughout the course of this deployment at the polling location, and while the polls were open for voting, Defendant Samir Shabazz pointed the weapon at individuals, menacingly tapped it his other hand, or menacingly tapped it elsewhere. This activity occurred approximately eight to fifteen feet from the entrance to the polling location. Defendant Samir Shabazz was accompanied by Defendant Jerry Jackson during this activity, and the two men stood side by side, in apparent formation, throughout most of this deployment.

10. Defendants Samir Shabazz and Jackson made statements containing racial threats and racial insults at both black and white individuals at 1221 Fairmount Street on November 4, 2008, while the polls were open for voting."
__________________
I suspect you are a sandwich, metaphorically speaking. -Donn
And a shot rang out. Now Space is doing time... -Ben Burch
You built the toilet - don't complain when people crap in it. _Kid Eager
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar

Last edited by Dancing David; 8th July 2010 at 06:24 AM.
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2010, 08:29 AM   #106
Lurker
Illuminator
 
Lurker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 4,189
Originally Posted by BeAChooser View Post
By the way, joobz, in terms of the *punishment* that was given Shabazz, it's already illegal to display a weapon at a polling place. So what punishment was he actually given?
You must be really disappointed that Bush chose not to prosecute the Minuteman who carried a gun to a polling place.

http://mediamatters.org/research/201007050005
Quote:
In Arizona, Roy Warden, an anti-immigration activist with the Minutemen, and a handful of supporters staked out a Tucson precinct and questioned Hispanic voters at the polls to determine whether they spoke English.
Why didn't Bush prosecute back in 2006? It has to be racism!


Personally, I think Obama should have prosecuted the Black Panther guy but it was the Bush DOJ that dropped the criminal charges. Hey, what can ya do?

Last edited by Lurker; 8th July 2010 at 08:30 AM.
Lurker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2010, 08:46 AM   #107
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing
 
Dancing David's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: central Illinois
Posts: 39,700
5-19-2009
http://mainjustice.com/wp-content/up...l-doc-17-1.pdf
__________________
I suspect you are a sandwich, metaphorically speaking. -Donn
And a shot rang out. Now Space is doing time... -Ben Burch
You built the toilet - don't complain when people crap in it. _Kid Eager
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2010, 09:22 AM   #108
YoPopa
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,484
Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
You must be really disappointed that Bush chose not to prosecute the Minuteman who carried a gun to a polling place.

http://mediamatters.org/research/201007050005


Why didn't Bush prosecute back in 2006? It has to be racism!


Personally, I think Obama should have prosecuted the Black Panther guy but it was the Bush DOJ that dropped the criminal charges. Hey, what can ya do?
Bush did it. Uttered more than once in this thread by the same folks who a few years ago had the mantra "But we're better than that."
YoPopa is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2010, 09:36 AM   #109
joobz
Tergiversator
 
joobz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 17,998
Originally Posted by YoPopa View Post
Bush did it. Uttered more than once in this thread by the same folks who a few years ago had the mantra "But we're better than that."
I agree that tu quoque is never an effective counterargument. It lowers standards rather than raising them.

In both instances, the question should become "Why weren't they prosecuted more aggressively?"
__________________
What's the best argument for UHC? This argument against UHC.
"Perhaps one reason per capita GDP is lower in UHC countries is because they've tried to prevent this important function [bankrupting the sick] and thus carry forward considerable economic dead wood?"-BeAChooser
joobz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2010, 09:42 AM   #110
Newtons Bit
Penultimate Amazing
 
Newtons Bit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 10,023
I am now becoming convinced by Tu Quoque arguments that nothing should be done. It obviously doesn't matter if Civil Rights were abused because previous administrations allowed Civil Rights to be abused.
__________________
"Structural Engineering is the art of molding materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze so as to understand forces we cannot really assess in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our own ignorance." James E Amrhein
Newtons Bit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2010, 09:53 AM   #111
Lurker
Illuminator
 
Lurker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 4,189
Originally Posted by YoPopa View Post
Bush did it. Uttered more than once in this thread by the same folks who a few years ago had the mantra "But we're better than that."
My point was the criminal charges against the Black Panther people was dropped by the Bush administration without complaint from the right.

My second point was against charges of racism. I pointed out that Bush did not prosecute the Minutemen back in 2006 who were intimidating Hispanic voters. Did Bush drop the charges due to racism? I would not make that claim, nor would I make the claim that Obama did not pursue the Black Panthers due to racism either.

We really are too quick to cry "racism".
Lurker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2010, 10:14 AM   #112
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher
 
A'isha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 15,221
Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
My point was the criminal charges against the Black Panther people was dropped by the Bush administration without complaint from the right.

My second point was against charges of racism. I pointed out that Bush did not prosecute the Minutemen back in 2006 who were intimidating Hispanic voters. Did Bush drop the charges due to racism? I would not make that claim, nor would I make the claim that Obama did not pursue the Black Panthers due to racism either.

We really are too quick to cry "racism".
If the charges were indeed dropped in both cases due to racism (the Bush administration against Hispanic voters and black, and the Obama administration against white voters), then yes that's unjustifiable no matter WHO does it and should be investigated and rectified immediately.

If, however, the charges were dropped in both cases due to entirely different reasons totally unrelated to racism (for instance, Assistant Attorney General Perez' explanation that any prosecution under the voter intimidation clause is as rare as hen's teeth and always has been, due to the high evidentiary requirements for such prosecutions), though, then that's a vastly different matter.

Either way, getting outraged (OUTRAGED!) when the DoJ of an administration you (at the very least) strongly disagree with declines to pursue voter intimidation charges, when you were remarkably silent when the DoJ of an administration that you strongly support (and in Adams' case, actually worked for) declines to pursue voter intimidation charges is disingenuous at best and massively hypocritical at worst.

Last edited by A'isha; 8th July 2010 at 10:46 AM.
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2010, 11:07 AM   #113
NoScotsman
Critical Thinker
 
NoScotsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 292
Watching that video I had two thoughts: 1. The Black Panthers still exist???, and 2. I had better re-apply for my absentee ballot.
NoScotsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2010, 11:19 AM   #114
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy
 
Upchurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 32,923
Incidentally, it's all been done before.
Upchurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2010, 11:29 AM   #115
Newtons Bit
Penultimate Amazing
 
Newtons Bit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 10,023
Originally Posted by ANTPogo View Post
If, however, the charges were dropped in both cases due to entirely different reasons totally unrelated to racism (for instance, Assistant Attorney General Perez' explanation that any prosecution under the voter intimidation clause is as rare as hen's teeth and always has been, due to the high evidentiary requirements for such prosecutions), though, then that's a vastly different matter.
The case went to trial, the defendants didn't show up, the prosecution won a default judgement. Having a super high evidence requirement doesn't matter: the government already won.
__________________
"Structural Engineering is the art of molding materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze so as to understand forces we cannot really assess in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our own ignorance." James E Amrhein
Newtons Bit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2010, 11:34 AM   #116
BeAChooser
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,716
Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
Originally Posted by BeAChooser
Well ProjectVote is up in arms because people were "heckled" as they walked to a polling station. An even lower bar for intimidation.

What did the heckling involve? I have not an opinion and you are off topic, unless you want to discuss similar cases where other charges were dismissed as well.
I'm not off topic at all. I'm demonstrating the hypocrisy of the left in this matter when the left promised hope and change. It's your side of the political aisle that has made voter intimidation a big issue and called for change. And rightly so. Fine. Then stop it. Get tough about it. Don't condone it just because this case just seems to *even the score*.

Project Vote has made the case for more severe punishment of the crime than even a year in jail. And they clearly want to broaden the definition of it. And Project Vote is intimately connected with democrats, Obama and the Obama administration. Well now it's time to show you democrats really mean it. Even if the intimidation is by one of your own this time. Otherwise it's just another example of partisan hypocrisy.

Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
Nice appeal to emotion, what witness and evidemce taht it was more than one member of the NBP that was engaging in taunts?
That's not an appeal to emotion, David but to fact. And I notice you don't seem to want to answer the question. Call it a test of reasonableness.

As for there being more than one member engaged in taunts, go read the complaint that the FIVE attorneys filed against the men, David. It's against both men. It states

Quote:
The Defendants intimidated and threatened those urging or aiding persons to vote at 1221 Fairmount Street on November 4, 2008 and thereby violated 1973i. These efforts included, but were not limited to, doing the following to protected individuals: brandishing a deadly weapon toward them, directing racial slurs and insults at them, and attempting to prevent their authorized ingress and egress at the polling location through blockage of the entrance and the threat of force.
The bottom line, David, is if illegally showing a weapon, making threatening gestures, wearing military-like uniforms, and according to some witness telling people not to vote, hurling racial insults and other taunts, directly in front of a polling station does not constitute voter intimidation, then what does?

And keep in mind that Shabazz is no babe in the woods. He is a lawyer who knew that not showing up when the complaint was heard in court was an admission of guilt in the eyes of the law.

On top of that, effectively dismissing the already won case, when the NBP is a hate group, sends the wrong message. It also sends the wrong message when you and the others on this thread let the likes of leftysergeant smear a witness like Bartel Bull (who was a lifelong democrat, a long time civil rights attorney, RFK's NY campaign manager, Jimmy Carter's NY campaign manager, and who in 2003 received a civil rights medal from Ted Kennedy for his voting rights work in Mississippi). It says a lot about you.

BTW, here is the sworn statement of Bartel Bull in the matter:

http://michellemalkin.cachefly.net/m...4-07-20092.pdf

In it he states, among other things, that:

Quote:
The shorter of the two men possessed a weapon in the form of a billy-club or nightstick. I watched the shorter man with the weapon point it at individuals and slap it in his hand.
Quote:
I watched the men confront voters, and attempt to intimidate voters.
Quote:
I watched the two uniformed men attempt to intimidate, and interfere with the work of other poll observers whome the uniformed men apparently believed did not share their preferences politically.
Quote:
In my opinion, the men created an intimidating presence at the entrance to the poll. In all of my experience in politics, in civil rights litigation, and in my efforts in the 1960's to secure the right to vote in Mississippi through participation with civil rights leaders and the Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, I have never encountered or heard of another instance in the United States where armed and uniformed men blocked the entrance to a polling location. Their clear purpose and intent was to intimidate voters with whom they did not agree.
How sad, if the democrat party is no longer going to heed the words of men like that, who accomplished so much in the pursuit of voter's rights in years past. How can democrats turn their backs on that and expect people to believe their calls for hope and change are sincere?
BeAChooser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2010, 11:45 AM   #117
BeAChooser
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,716
Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
http://mediamatters.org/research/201007050005

Quote:
In Arizona, Roy Warden, an anti-immigration activist with the Minutemen, and a handful of supporters staked out a Tucson precinct and questioned Hispanic voters at the polls to determine whether they spoke English.

Why didn't Bush prosecute back in 2006? It has to be racism!
Did you mention that case here at JREF so we could discuss it at the time? Like I've done here? In not, how do you know how I might have responded?

Yes, Roy Warden sounds like a nut and if he did what is alleged, he should have been prosecuted. But you folks are now in charge. No one is preventing you from upholding the law and instituting all that "hope and change" you promised Obama would bring. So where is it or was it all empty rhetoric?

And by the way, the statute of limitations on voter intimidation at the federal level is FIVE years from the date of the incident. So if Warden was intimidating voters in November of 2006, nothing is stopping Obama's DOJ from arresting and charging Roy Warden with it today.

Let's see some action rather than a bunch of hypocrisy.
BeAChooser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2010, 11:54 AM   #118
Lurker
Illuminator
 
Lurker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 4,189
Originally Posted by BeAChooser View Post
Did you mention that case here at JREF so we could discuss it at the time? Like I've done here? In not, how do you know how I might have responded?

Yes, Roy Warden sounds like a nut and if he did what is alleged, he should have been prosecuted. But you folks are now in charge. No one is preventing you from upholding the law and instituting all that "hope and change" you promised Obama would bring. So where is it or was it all empty rhetoric?

And by the way, the statute of limitations on voter intimidation at the federal level is FIVE years from the date of the incident. So if Warden was intimidating voters in November of 2006, nothing is stopping Obama's DOJ from arresting and charging Roy Warden with it today.

Let's see some action rather than a bunch of hypocrisy.
Yeah, I bet you are just shedding tears of concern for the possible infringement of voting rights but it is hard to see them through the manic grin on your face brought on by being able to attack Obama once again.

Anyway, Bush decided not to press criminal charges. Must be a reason why he didn't unless you think Bush was racist too. Damn racists everywhere. Look, I already said that Obama could press charges and it would be fine with me but I am not going to have a stroke over it.
Lurker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2010, 12:01 PM   #119
joobz
Tergiversator
 
joobz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 17,998
Originally Posted by BeAChooser View Post
Did you mention that case here at JREF so we could discuss it at the time? Like I've done here? In not, how do you know how I might have responded?
If we are going to play that game, why didn't you make a thread of it at that time?
this is why Tu Quoque fails at being constructive.

Now, I think ANTPogo has made the most lucid argument on the subject:
Quote:
If, however, the charges were dropped in both cases due to entirely different reasons totally unrelated to racism (for instance, Assistant Attorney General Perez' explanation that any prosecution under the voter intimidation clause is as rare as hen's teeth and always has been, due to the high evidentiary requirements for such prosecutions), though, then that's a vastly different matter.

Either way, getting outraged (OUTRAGED!) when the DoJ of an administration you (at the very least) strongly disagree with declines to pursue voter intimidation charges, when you were remarkably silent when the DoJ of an administration that you strongly support (and in Adams' case, actually worked for) declines to pursue voter intimidation charges is disingenuous at best and massively hypocritical at worst.
To my mind the next steps in the discussion should be:

1.) Is it a general truth that the evidentiary requirements too high to make anything stick? This should be an easy answer for someone skilled legally. If it is true, it settles the debate on racism, but raises a debate on "are the evidentiary requirements too high"?
2.) What is Adam's opinion on the evidentiary requirements for voter harassment? Was he outraged at the dropping of the minutemen charges?
__________________
What's the best argument for UHC? This argument against UHC.
"Perhaps one reason per capita GDP is lower in UHC countries is because they've tried to prevent this important function [bankrupting the sick] and thus carry forward considerable economic dead wood?"-BeAChooser
joobz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2010, 12:05 PM   #120
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher
 
A'isha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 15,221
Originally Posted by Newtons Bit View Post
The case went to trial, the defendants didn't show up, the prosecution won a default judgement. Having a super high evidence requirement doesn't matter: the government already won.
There was no criminal trial (according to Perez, "the Civil Rights Division determined that the facts did not constitute a prosecutable violation of the criminal statutes", which is what has that high evidence requirement) - the government filed a civil suit against them, seeking an injunction, on January 7, 2009. President Obama wasn't even inaugurated, you'll note, until just over two weeks after this.

Once the Obama administration's DoJ took over the civil case filed by the Bush administration's DoJ, according to Perez there was a second review of the evidence, which found that King Samir Shabazz did, indeed, stand around a polling place brandishing a weapon in an intimidating manner, and continued to pursue the civil injunction against him. The review, however, found that the evidence did not support the pursuit of an injunction against the other two defendants, so they were dropped from the civil case.

In other words, they weren't criminally prosecuted for voter intimidation because the department didn't find any evidence for them doing that...and it did so during the Bush Administration. And in the civil suit, the guy that the Obama DoJ did determine was the one standing around the polling place in Philadelphia brandishing a weapon received the injunction that the DoJ sought, which will prevent him from doing that same thing again.

Which, you will also note, is more of a penalty than any of the Minutemen in Arizona or state investigators in Mississippi accused of the same offense received from the Bush DoJ.

Last edited by A'isha; 8th July 2010 at 12:06 PM.
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:52 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.