IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags department of justice , jail and prison issues , prison reform , private prisons

Old 18th August 2016, 11:04 AM   #1
Donal
Illuminator

Department of Justice to stop using private prisons

Due to years of documented negligence and violence, as well as countless safety and security incidents, the Department of Justice will start scaling back its use of private prisons. the goal is to compeltely end the federal government's use of private prisons.

The Feds won't pull out over night. Instead, when each prison contract comes up for renewal over the next 5 years, the DoJ will review them, with the goal of scaling back their use.

Personally, I think this a big step towards badly needed prison and justice reform. Maybe if recidivism stops being profitable, we'll see less of it.
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2016, 11:07 AM   #2
BobTheCoward
Suspended

The federal government uses only a small number. Also,are the immigrant detention centers DOJ or ICE?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2016, 11:12 AM   #3
Donal
Illuminator

Ya, the DoJ only uses 13 of the 81 private prison in the US. But, hey, gotta start somewhere. As for the immigrant detention centers, that is messy.

According to this, DHS runs 11% of the beds used for immigrant detention and directly contracts out 18%. 24% of them are left to the states and municipalities specifically used for immigration detention. The rest are in prisons that are under the control of other federal agencies or states (which are also possibly private).

Last edited by Donal; 18th August 2016 at 11:18 AM.
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2016, 11:47 AM   #4
LarianLeQuella
Elf Wino

I've always considered the use of for profit prison corporations as immoral and reprehensible. Not because they are businesses per se, but that as a business model, they have a vested interest in creating a demand for prisoners. This seems inhumane, unethical, and just plain wrong.
LarianLeQuella is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2016, 01:01 PM   #5
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LarianLeQuella View Post
I've always considered the use of for profit prison corporations as immoral and reprehensible. Not because they are businesses per se, but that as a business model, they have a vested interest in creating a demand for prisoners. This seems inhumane, unethical, and just plain wrong.
I understand the argument, but it doesn't have much heft to me. Do funeral directors have a vested interest in promoting murder? There are other ways to expand your business. Doctors promoting disease never flew for me either.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2016, 01:05 PM   #6
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

It's about time.

Now if somebody with some sense can come to the conclusion that rehabilitation for addicts/alcoholics is less expensive and more effective than incarceration and back off from the WOSD (war on some drugs) we might get somewhere

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2016, 01:27 PM   #7
quixotecoyote
Howling to glory I go

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
I understand the argument, but it doesn't have much heft to me. Do funeral directors have a vested interest in promoting murder? There are other ways to expand your business. Doctors promoting disease never flew for me either.

I can show you prisons promoting incarceration: http://www.justicepolicy.org/uploads...the_system.pdf

The incentives and economics are obviously different in your examples.
Old 18th August 2016, 01:54 PM   #8
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quixotecoyote View Post
I can show you prisons promoting incarceration: http://www.justicepolicy.org/uploads...the_system.pdf

The incentives and economics are obviously different in your examples.
Perhaps it's not the systems that are different but the ability to exploit the mechanism without getting charged with a crime. Because shaping the marketplace to benefit my business is always available to me, and further, I don't think this falls along government/private lines - isn't it accepted wisdom that bureaucracies will tend to expand their own "markets"?

If it is fundamental, for both government and private institutions, then we should guard against both. Because, so long as the efforts are allowed, that's the rules of the game.

As to my examples, I wouldn't be the least surprised to find a funeral directors organization behind laws mandating embalming, licensing of cemeteries and other targeted legislation. I wouldn't necessarily think it nefarious either. I would expect doctors to try and influence legislation mandating certain types of healthcare or arguing for limits on malpractice suits. Again, recognizing vested interests is not, necessarily, the same as an accusation of malfeasance.

Do private prisons push more "law and order" legislation than government-run law enforcement organizations do? Your link suggests this is the case. And yet, the reason private prisons became a target for entrepreneurship is because the money was already there - the market existed before the private prison industry came calling.

Last edited by marplots; 18th August 2016 at 02:00 PM.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2016, 09:43 AM   #9
Donal
Illuminator

Do private prisons push more "law and order" legislation than government-run law enforcement organizations do? Your link suggests this is the case. And yet, the reason private prisons became a target for entrepreneurship is because the money was already there - the market existed before the private prison industry came calling.
But did they start off as running a prison and the expansion happened organically? Or did they start running the prisons with the intention of pushing the legislation? Besides, at this point: so what?

Our outlook of the prison system is changing and they were caught manipulating the system for their own personal benefit.
Old 19th August 2016, 10:25 PM   #10
BobTheCoward
Suspended

Why were the government officials whose job was to care for prisoner welfare failed the prisoners in private facilities so badly?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2016, 08:05 AM   #11
twinstead
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Why were the government officials whose job was to care for prisoner welfare failed the prisoners in private facilities so badly?
I guess they just decided to step aside and let the Invisible Hand of the Free Market handle things for a bit. How'd that work out for them?
Old 20th August 2016, 08:08 AM   #12
steve s
Philosopher

I understand the argument, but it doesn't have much heft to me. Do funeral directors have a vested interest in promoting murder?
They don't have to. Everybody dies eventually. Not everyone will end up in prison.

Steve S
Old 20th August 2016, 09:22 AM   #13
BobTheCoward
Suspended

Originally Posted by twinstead View Post
I guess they just decided to step aside and let the Invisible Hand of the Free Market handle things for a bit. How'd that work out for them?
Great actually. The DOJ did not say private prisons were in noncompliance. It seems the DOJ got what they signed up for.
Old 20th August 2016, 08:27 PM   #14
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

If you are going to jail people for moral reasons (ie recreational drug use) then you need to find a way to pay for it.

Given that the two options are to either bill taxpayers for it or let private firms make a profit out of prisoners, I suspect that private prisons will be around for the foreseeable future.
Old 20th August 2016, 09:55 PM   #15
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The reason why privately run prisons were promoted was that they were supposed to be cheaper - but in fact they are much more expensive.
They also care less well for the safety and health of the inmates.
On every measures but corporate profit they are a failure.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2016, 03:16 AM   #16
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by steve s View Post
They don't have to. Everybody dies eventually. Not everyone will end up in prison.

Steve S
Good point, although cash flow matters. I suppose funeral directors would be anti-abortion then?
Old 21st August 2016, 03:17 AM   #17
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
The reason why privately run prisons were promoted was that they were supposed to be cheaper - but in fact they are much more expensive.
Is this something you found in that article or elsewhere?
Old 21st August 2016, 07:15 AM   #18
BobTheCoward
Suspended

Then why isn't the federal government suing for contract breach?
Old 21st August 2016, 07:48 AM   #19
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

All government is is a gigantic crime creation (and see? I caught them for you reelect me!) system from that point of view.

If you are truly concerned, look into efforts to roll back government proliferation of de facto highway robbery and debtor's prisons, as ticketing for minor crimes explodes to satisfy local government monetary needs. People who cannot pay the fines are imprisoned without trials.

I have a tough time seeing how prisons create crime, aside from doing a poor job at rehabilitation. Would like to see standard measures applied to both kinds of prisons.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2016, 09:21 AM   #20
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Politicians have shares in these companies?
Old 21st August 2016, 10:01 AM   #21
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Given that the two options are to either bill taxpayers for it or let private firms make a profit out of prisoners, I suspect that private prisons will be around for the foreseeable future.
Taxpayers are billed either way.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2016, 10:01 AM   #22
Navigator
Philosopher

This is not a new thing - it evolved from slavery in the south...

Slavery by Another Name
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Atheism is not skepticism

Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors. ~ ISF disclaimer
Navigator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2016, 10:05 AM   #23
ehcks
Illuminator

Funeral homes have a permanent inevitable demand. The way to increase their income is to actually increase the birth rate, not increase the death rate.

But for-profit prisons only make more money if there are more prisoners. The way to do this is to increase the crime rate, such as by increasing recidivism, or by making up new laws criminalizing common behavior.
Old 21st August 2016, 11:42 AM   #24
twinstead
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ehcks View Post
Funeral homes have a permanent inevitable demand. The way to increase their income is to actually increase the birth rate, not increase the death rate.
Yup.
Quote:

But for-profit prisons only make more money if there are more prisoners. The way to do this is to increase the crime rate, such as by increasing recidivism, or by making up new laws criminalizing common behavior.
It really is a classic case of conflict of interest, and the longer it goes the less chance it will ever get better.
Old 21st August 2016, 12:23 PM   #25
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Taxpayers are billed either way.
I should have realized that earlier.
Old 21st August 2016, 12:29 PM   #26
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Because it makes governors sound weak to admit mistakes. Also, prison companies love funding the campaigns of their supporters

Is this something you found in that article or elsewhere?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_Pz3syET3DY
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2016, 02:14 PM   #27
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

yt;dw
Old 22nd August 2016, 04:59 AM   #28
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

How many cases have we seen of funeral directors paying to get people killed? We do have cases of private prisons bribing judges to make sure they get more of the juicy juicy juvenile offender market.

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/welcome...ww.google.com/

And how much does the funeral industry put into lobbying to make sure more people die? Or have contracts with the goverment to make sure they get enough corpses on a regular basis to maintain their occupancy?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3953483.html
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2016, 05:04 AM   #29
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by steve s View Post

Steve S
Well wait to see how effective their occupancy requirements in contracts become. That might change.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2016, 05:06 AM   #30
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Because it makes governors sound weak to admit mistakes. Also, prison companies love funding the campaigns of their supporters
Also it is ideologically unacceptable for some american political parties to think that government can ever be more efficient than for profit companies.
Old 22nd August 2016, 07:42 AM   #31
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
How many cases have we seen of funeral directors paying to get people killed?
Ferryman Funeral Homes might have gone that far...

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 25th August 2016, 09:21 AM   #32
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Let's cut out the middle man. One side enjoys bigger government, with its attendant union workers, who in turn vote for bigger government. The other side does not, so wants to privatize, i.e. get rid of the union hires.

As B.F. Skinner said, look at their actions, not their words. It's all memeplex domination.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2016, 12:03 PM   #33
Donal
Illuminator

I don't think you know what a "middle man" is. In this instance, the private prison companies would be that and they are being removed. And what do unions have to do with this?
Old 25th August 2016, 03:01 PM   #34
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

We figured out it was a bad idea after 6 years....

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics