ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 22nd August 2017, 06:17 AM   #1201
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Upchurch will likely know more than me on this, but I seem to recall they were going to rename it, or maybe even had, before going ahead and removing it altogether. I saw this on the news this morning and the RFT was the first, and only, result I got when I did the search, if I find a more detailed version later, I'll post it.

ETA: The local news just mentioned there was a bill to rename it, "Scott Joplin Drive", before it was decided to remove it completely.

http://fox2now.com/2017/08/22/confed...n-forest-park/

Last edited by Mike!; 22nd August 2017 at 06:29 AM.
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2017, 06:39 AM   #1202
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Upchurch will likely know more than me on this, but I seem to recall they were going to rename it, or maybe even had, before going ahead and removing it altogether. I saw this on the news this morning and the RFT was the first, and only, result I got when I did the search, if I find a more detailed version later, I'll post it.

ETA: The local news just mentioned there was a bill to rename it, "Scott Joplin Drive", before it was decided to remove it completely.

I can confirm that it was renamed from Confederate Dr. to Government Dr. around about the time that the monument was remove. Although, my wife says she remembers seeing both street names there for a while.

The road, itself, served absolutely no purpose other than to be able to drive past the monument, maybe as yet another way in that park to loop your car around and head the other direction.

eta: I have also heard, through the grape vine, that the road was going away. Not much point in maintaining it.

Last edited by Upchurch; 22nd August 2017 at 06:42 AM.
Upchurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2017, 06:42 AM   #1203
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
I can confirm that it was renamed from Confederate Dr. to Government Dr. around about the time that the monument was remove. Although, my wife says she remembers seeing both street names there for a while.

The road, itself, served absolutely no purpose other than to be able to drive past the monument, maybe as yet another way in that park to loop your car around and head the other direction.
Thank you sir! I knew you'd been to Forest Park more recently than I had.
Old 22nd August 2017, 12:26 PM   #1204
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

The monument is gone, now they're removing the road that lead to it too.
https://www.riverfronttimes.com/news...federate-drive
Quote:
But Koran Addo, a spokesman for Mayor Lyda Krewson, says the road's removal was "unrelated" to the monument's similar fate.

"This is part of the Forest Park master plan and has been in the works for a while," he writes in an email. "This is not a road that has great utility to the park, so a plan was made to remove it and replace it with green space."
And that was then. Now there is even less utility, since there is no longer a memorial celebrating the cause of slavery for people to drive by.

(ETA: Ninja'd by paulhutch. I should have read ahead like I usually try to do.)

Last edited by quadraginta; 22nd August 2017 at 12:30 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2017, 01:17 PM   #1205
smartcooky
Philosopher

Shame they don't want to name it Janis Joplin Drive
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2017, 02:26 PM   #1206
mgardner
Thinker

Quote:
Our new government is founded upon exactly [this] idea; its foundations are laid, its corner- stone rests upon the great truth, that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery -- subordination to the superior race -- is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth.
--Alexander Stephens. The Cornerstone Speech.
You can have as many monuments to the confederacy as you want, as long as this statement is etched into every single one of them.
mgardner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2017, 02:41 PM   #1207
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Shame they don't want to name it Janis Joplin Drive
Janis never lived in Missouri like Scott did.

For the record, my 3 favorite Missourians: Mark Twain, Harry S. Truman,Robert Heinlein.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2017, 02:42 PM   #1208
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
The state of Tennessee. They have the memorial to the founder right there in the capital.
The rest of the story:

If you're referring to the bust in the stat capital building, the governor of TN and US Sen Lamar Alexander have called for it to be removed. A task force assigned to investigate the matter decided in 2015 to delay action until all Tennessee monuments could be reviewed. This review is required by state law.

The largest statue of forest in Nashville (25 ft tall) is a privately owned monument on private property.
Old 22nd August 2017, 07:26 PM   #1209
Mumbles
Illuminator

Originally Posted by mgardner View Post
You can have as many monuments to the confederacy as you want, as long as this statement is etched into every single one of them.
Nah.

It'll just be explained away. The only lesson will be "History is not taught through statues."

Confront the Lost Cause nonsense directly, in class, in schools.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:58 AM   #1210
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
The rest of the story:

If you're referring to the bust in the stat capital building, the governor of TN and US Sen Lamar Alexander have called for it to be removed. A task force assigned to investigate the matter decided in 2015 to delay action until all Tennessee monuments could be reviewed. This review is required by state law.

The largest statue of forest in Nashville (25 ft tall) is a privately owned monument on private property.
I was referring to the statue and grave on public land.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:48 AM   #1211
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by mgardner View Post
I've posted that speech at least twice now. We're still discussing tariffs and states' rights.
Old Yesterday, 03:51 AM   #1212
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
I've posted that speech at least twice now. We're still discussing tariffs and states' rights.
With of course the crazy notion that the south was for states rights, instead of being solidly against the rights of any state to outlaw slavery in any fashion.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:56 AM   #1213
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

With of course the crazy notion that the south was for states rights, instead of being solidly against the rights of any state to outlaw slavery in any fashion.
True story.
Old Yesterday, 08:17 AM   #1214
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Even the origin of the Confederate battle flag is marked by pro-slavery symbolism.
"Miles' design was inspired by one of the many "secessionist flags" flown at the South Carolina secession convention in Charleston of December 1860. That flag was a blue St George's Cross (an upright or Latin cross) on a red field, with 15 white stars on the cross, representing the slaveholding states ...
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events