ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags assault incidents , Charlottesville riot , protest incidents , Virginia incidents , white supremacists

Reply
Old 22nd August 2017, 02:23 PM   #2401
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 19,772
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
For my part, I didn't mean to accuse you of any ill will. The "state property" thing just stuck out in my mind because I've been following local removals of Confederate (and other white supremacist) monuments - particularly because Taney's statue was, in effect, a memorial from the 1860s-70s rather than an ugly artifact of the Jim Crow era (I have no clue whether or not Taney himself went to the Confederacy).
he did not
__________________
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds, to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan, to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2017, 07:41 PM   #2402
MostlyDead
Graduate Poster
 
MostlyDead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,579
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Well, first, let's not pretend that this white supremacy rally was *really* just about the statue. It was a show of force, and an attempt to align the pseudo-nazis, a small number of "leaders" like Spencer, and the angry, disaffected young white guys that had been radicalized over the internet. And it's not lost on me that it took the murder of a young white woman to mobilize so many people.

Having said that...these things should *generally* be controlled by local governments. There are clear exceptions - the Taney statue here in Maryland was on State House grounds, and thus is under the control of the state government rather than the Annapolis local government, and I'm pretty sure that the statues in the House Rotunda are also controlled by various state governments - each one given a certain area to decorate with a statue of their choosing.
You don't think a nazi murdering a young black woman would have caused more uproar? I would certainly think so.
__________________
Thusly blathered MostlyDead
MostlyDead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2017, 07:45 PM   #2403
MostlyDead
Graduate Poster
 
MostlyDead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,579
Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Something which is on private land but in public view can also be subject to the limits of public taste and decency.

If, instead of Lenin, it were a statue of one of the more iconic scenes from Deep Throat I expect they could find a way to overcome the 'private land' hurdle.

Maybe the question is, "Is it sufficiently offensive to public sensibilities?".

I'm not trying to claim that is a reasonable standard. Nor an I suggesting that the statue of Lenin comes anywhere close to such a threshold.

Just pointing out that it is one which communities don't hesitate to use even when private property is concerned.
The hilited seems to be the trump card in the argument. It doesn't matter if the majority want threatening imagery displayed. And let's face it, Confederate memorials are menacing to any black people.
__________________
Thusly blathered MostlyDead
MostlyDead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2017, 07:51 PM   #2404
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 61,969
Originally Posted by MostlyDead View Post
The hilited seems to be the trump card in the argument. It doesn't matter if the majority want threatening imagery displayed. And let's face it, Confederate memorials are menacing to any black people.
The Confederate statues in question are all in public spaces.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2017, 08:19 PM   #2405
MostlyDead
Graduate Poster
 
MostlyDead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,579
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
The Confederate statues in question are all in public spaces.
Right, but whether on private or public land, they are in public view, which I see as the silver bullet argument. Being on public space just strengthens the argument that menacing symbols violate public decency, regardless of the will of the majority.
__________________
Thusly blathered MostlyDead
MostlyDead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:35 AM   #2406
Mumbles
Illuminator
 
Mumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,495
Originally Posted by MostlyDead View Post
You don't think a nazi murdering a young black woman would have caused more uproar? I would certainly think so.
You mean like Sandra Bland? Rekia Boyd?

Or young black men, like Trayvon Martin, or John Crawford III, or Tamir Rice. In those cases people rushed to explain why it was perfectly fine to kill a black guy who was just minding their own business.

No, I absolutely think that the reaction would be weaker had the victim been a black woman, rather than a white woman. And in fact, Id expect that any adverse information would be worked over with a fine comb. Yes, I fully expect that had Heather Heyer been non-white, these same people would be digging through her police records to portray her as an angry criminal. they'd do their absolute best to belittle her.

Again, we watched Ferguson police flat-out attack the black community there, and many here justified it. "Oh, but the Quicky-Mart!" - and never mind that the police attacked the community *before* that QT burned.

Im not even sure why you're objecting. They're perfectly happy to justify murdering a black person, regardless of circumstances. Why would it suddenly change in this case?
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:01 AM   #2407
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 38,860
Originally Posted by MostlyDead View Post
You don't think a nazi murdering a young black woman would have caused more uproar? I would certainly think so.
It does show how much more effective one white death is at generating uproad than a whole lot of black deaths.
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:25 AM   #2408
caveman1917
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 4,815
Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
Tbf, having worked security on days when there has been massive rallies with the EDL, the issue is usually in the AntiFa turning up without notifying anyone, including the police or the security services.
That must be the most pathetic attempt at white-washing police cooperation in a neo-nazi anti-immigrant progrom ever. So cops stand by for 3 days, watching approvingly, as neo-nazis attack an apartment building housing immigrants. When finally antifa manages to show up in sufficient force to chase the nazis away, the cops arrest antifa. But of course it's all antifa's fault

Quote:
This is why so many AntiFa people end up getting arrested
No it isn't. The reason they get arrested is because, again, the cops are almost always directly working with/for the fascists.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin

Last edited by caveman1917; Yesterday at 03:30 AM.
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:47 AM   #2409
Gilbert Syndrome
Illuminator
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Aigburth, Liverpool, UK
Posts: 4,531
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
That must be the most pathetic attempt at white-washing police cooperation in a neo-nazi anti-immigrant progrom ever. So cops stand by for 3 days, watching approvingly, as neo-nazis attack an apartment building housing immigrants. When finally antifa manages to show up in sufficient force to chase the nazis away, the cops arrest antifa. But of course it's all antifa's fault
You don't seem to have a clue what you're talking about, considering the fact that I said the EDL do not generally cause trouble. They march, annoying everyone, yeah, and then they bugger off. The problem arises when the counter-protesters turn up. You see, in the real world, not in your preferred world of fiction, but in the real world, groups like the EDL have to notify the police, the security services, and sometimes the council, that they are marching, this then enables plans to be in place for cordons and manned guarding, controlling the march, and making sure they get to where they're going, along a prearranged route. I know this, because it's my job, and I've done it countless times.

Now, when groups like the AntiFa turn up unannounced, they do so from areas that are usually not manned, this then causes issues because there aren't enough security or police to handle the influx of people. It also causes issues in the already crowded town-center, because you have a hundred+ people in masks and hoods, usually throwing things and instigating trouble with the people already marching, which then causes issues for the general public and the various businesses. You see, these are the issues that people face in the real world, mate, have you been there?



Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
No it isn't. The reason they get arrested is because, again, the cops are almost always directly working with/for the fascists.
Complete and utter nonsense. You must've dreamed this up whilst reading some hilarious blog written by a child in a Guy Fawkes mask in his mother's basement.

The "cops" are not working with the EDL in the scenario that I am talking about, and nor are they working with the AntiFa, they are working with the security services and for the safety of the general public and those who are marching.


Arrests occur because people act like morons and don't use their noggins to understand that if you're wearing a mask or a hood and carrying potentially offensive weapons which you aim to throw about the crowded place, you're going to hurt people, damage property and generally cause a nuisance. Furthermore, it is forbidden to be in places like shopping centers whilst disguising your face, for obvious bloody reasons. This means that if a person in a hood, mask or bandanna, is asked to leave, and does not, they are then trespassing, ergo: arrest.

Seriously, grow up and use your common sense.
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'

Last edited by Gilbert Syndrome; Yesterday at 03:49 AM.
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:00 AM   #2410
caveman1917
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 4,815
Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
You don't seem to have a clue what you're talking about
I know very well what I'm talking about.

Quote:
Complete and utter nonsense. You must've dreamed this up whilst reading some hilarious blog written by a child in a Guy Fawkes mask in his mother's basement.
I've been in more antifa actions than you could count, and you're talking out of your behind. Again, your defense of police cooperation with fascists (such as the Rostock progrom of 1992) is just pathetic.

Quote:
Seriously, grow up and use your common sense.
No thanks, I've grown up and learned to use my observations and deductive skills, rather than your far-right propaganda (aka "common sense").
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin

Last edited by caveman1917; Yesterday at 04:02 AM.
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:07 AM   #2411
Gilbert Syndrome
Illuminator
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Aigburth, Liverpool, UK
Posts: 4,531
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
I know very well what I'm talking about.
When you tell me that the police, who I work with on an almost daily basis, is actively working alongside fascists, it is clear that you're not speaking from a place of logic or common sense.



Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
I've been in more antifa actions then you could count, and you're talking out of your behind. Again, your defense of police cooperation with fascists (such as the Rostock progrom of 1992) is just pathetic.
Really, where? I've worked at rallies and marches from London, to Birmingham, to Oldham, to Liverpool, to Manchester, to Newcastle. And they're always the same. There wouldn't be as much of an issue if the AntiFa notified everyone of their intention to turn up, which they do not do. The police are working to prevent public-nuisance, and are also working for the protection of the public, the marchers, and the businesses which are also at risk.



Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
No thanks, I've grown up and learned to use my observations and deductive skills, rather than your propaganda.
Really? Because you appear to b a 34 y/o who thinks that "the police are working alongside the fascists," which is a rather embarrassing and illogical outlook to have as a grown-ass man, lol. I can only suspect that you're one of the nuggets in a mask creating a public nuisance and wondering why you're being arrested
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:15 AM   #2412
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 38,860
Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
When you tell me that the police, who I work with on an almost daily basis, is actively working alongside fascists, it is clear that you're not speaking from a place of logic or common sense.
Which specific departments. You both are talking in such broad terms about different events and trying to generalize to all police, all Nazi's and all anti fascists.

What would the police you work with do if they local Nazi's used the same techniques of violating the assembly route to mix it up with the counter protesters, while carrying shields and clubs? And the counter protesters did have a permit here, and as far as I can tell it was the Nazi's who violated their permit first.


Quote:
Really? Because you appear to b a 34 y/o who thinks that "the police are working alongside the fascists," which is a rather embarrassing and illogical outlook to have as a grown-ass man, lol. I can only suspect that you're one of the nuggets in a mask creating a public nuisance and wondering why you're being arrested
Why? a lot of police are politically aligned with the white supremacists views of this protest. There are all those regular scandals about the police violating the constitutional rights of blacks at a higher rate than whites, being more violent toward blacks and of course using racial epithets in official communications.

Your attempt to equate the situation in Britain with the situation in the US is pretty laughable. I bet if avowed racists shot and killed 5 people in Britain durring a strike in 1978 who belonged to the communist workers party they might even have been prosecuted. Now that is how you stage a real counter protest. None of this namby pamby antifasc BS. The KKK knows how to get things done.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greensboro_massacre
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:19 AM   #2413
caveman1917
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 4,815
Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
When you tell me that the police, who I work with on an almost daily basis, is actively working alongside fascists, it is clear that you're not speaking from a place of logic or common sense.
Or, much more likely, you are yourself sympathetic of fascists and are trying to white-wash them and their allies among the police.

Quote:
Really, where? I've worked at rallies and marches from London, to Birmingham, to Oldham, to Liverpool, to Manchester, to Newcastle. And they're always the same. There wouldn't be as much of an issue if the AntiFa notified everyone of their intention to turn up, which they do not do. The police are working to prevent public-nuisance, and are also working for the protection of the public, the marchers, and the businesses which are also at risk.
Anyone is free to check up on the EDL and see for themselves how "non-violent" they are, and whether these claims about it being the antifa's fault for "public nuissance" with the EDL hold any water.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE


Quote:
Really? Because you appear to b a 34 y/o who thinks that "the police are working alongside the fascists," which is a rather embarrassing and illogical outlook to have as a grown-ass man, lol. I can only suspect that you're one of the nuggets in a mask creating a public nuisance and wondering why you're being arrested
And you appear to be a staunch fascist sympathizer. Which one is more embarrassing, do you think?
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:23 AM   #2414
Argumemnon
World Maker
 
Argumemnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the thick of things
Posts: 64,938
Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Arnold Schwartzenager's speech on this was appropriate.
Schwarzenegger seems like a pretty cool Republican, all things considered.
__________________
"Yes. But we'll hit theirs as well. We have reserves. Attack!"
Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:25 AM   #2415
caveman1917
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 4,815
Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Which specific departments. You both are talking in such broad terms about different events and trying to generalize to all police, all Nazi's and all anti fascists.
We were talking about the Rostock progrom of 1992 and police's cooperation in it. Gilbert Syndrome then quickly changed the subject to the EDL.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:29 AM   #2416
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 38,860
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
We were talking about the Rostock progrom of 1992 and police's cooperation in it. Gilbert Syndrome then quickly changed the subject to the EDL.
And the thread is about Charlottesville.
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:29 AM   #2417
Gilbert Syndrome
Illuminator
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Aigburth, Liverpool, UK
Posts: 4,531
Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Which specific departments. You both are talking in such broad terms about different events and trying to generalize to all police, all Nazi's and all anti fascists.

What would the police you work with do if they local Nazi's used the same techniques of violating the assembly route to mix it up with the counter protesters, while carrying shields and clubs? And the counter protesters did have a permit here, and as far as I can tell it was the Nazi's who violated their permit first.
From my experience, it doesn't matter who is creating the public nuisance, the police are impartial. The thing is, in the UK,groups such as the EDL generally want to be allowed to march, so they do what they have/need to do in order to still be able to continue marching. They can cause trouble, but they're usually pretty amicable, they turn up, march, and leave. Their marches are annoying, because they take up police time, and require additional groups, such as hired security groups, etc. This is made easier for all due to them properly organizing the march, making it easier to plan manned guards along the prearranged route and set up cordons where necessary.

Problems arise when counter groups just turn up randomly, for obvious reasons. The already limited police and security are stretched to their limits, and the potential for trouble is obviously high. You've got to consider the fact that this is usually in an already busy town center, with average members of the public going about their business. It disrupts everything, and instead of having an organized march, you end up with warfare.

If the EDL did the same thing, and randomly turned up to create havoc, then the police and the security groups would in the exact same position as the one I mentioned. It's nothing to do with AntiFa or the EDL, it's to do with the obvious problem of having a routine march become a problematic battle between two groups of individuals who are creating a public nuisance, potentially damaging public property, causing issues for local businesses and all other manner of problems that the police and the security services could honestly do without.

People tend to forget that the police and security are there to do a job, a job they get paid the same wage as other police and security get for doing less stressful work.

There's no conspiracy, no favouritism, there's just a bunch of limited people doing far more work than is necessary. We'd much prefer peaceful protests all-round, but that almost never happens.






Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Why? a lot of police are politically aligned with the white supremacists views of this protest. There are all those regular scandals about the police violating the constitutional rights of blacks at a higher rate than whites, being more violent toward blacks and of course using racial epithets in official communications.

Your attempt to equate the situation in Britain with the situation in the US is pretty laughable. I bet if avowed racists shot and killed 5 people in Britain durring a strike in 1978 who belonged to the communist workers party they might even have been prosecuted. Now that is how you stage a real counter protest. None of this namby pamby antifasc BS. The KKK knows how to get things done.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greensboro_massacre
Not all police are aligned with white supremacists at all, though. People are people, no matter their position, so you'll always have room for such things, but it's not the norm, not here, anyway.

I'm not equating anything, I was giving an example of why AntiFa members can and do get arrested, because I've seen it up close and personal on many many occasions.

You can't claim that the AntiFa are out for peaceful protests when they're wearing disguises and carrying bricks and bottles, whether in the UK or in the US. It's common sense, really.
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:33 AM   #2418
Gilbert Syndrome
Illuminator
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Aigburth, Liverpool, UK
Posts: 4,531
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
Or, much more likely, you are yourself sympathetic of fascists and are trying to white-wash them and their allies among the police.
Yeah, lol, white-power, man! Get a grip. I'm not sympathetic to anyone who is causing an issue, hence why I said we'd all prefer that none of these groups bothered marching, or to just do it quietly and peacefully. I'd much rather not have to deal with any protesters, but it's a job.



Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
Anyone is free to check up on the EDL and see for themselves how "non-violent" they are, and whether these claims about it being the antifa's fault for "public nuissance" with the EDL hold any water.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Who said they weren't capable of violence? The links you provide are all examples of issues arising when two groups clash. One group on its own is generally just a march, two groups is an opposing protest.



Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
And you appear to be a staunch fascist sympathizer. Which one is more embarrassing, do you think?
Well, considering the genuine fact that I don't sympathize with either group, and am just a grown man doing a job, I'd have to say that your wild imagination and seemingly teenage-outlook is the embarrassing one to hold, mate, lol.
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:34 AM   #2419
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 38,860
Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post

You can't claim that the AntiFa are out for peaceful protests when they're wearing disguises and carrying bricks and bottles, whether in the UK or in the US. It's common sense, really.
And the heavily armed Nazi's are just there for peaceful protests. You are clear where your sympathies are.
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:34 AM   #2420
caveman1917
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 4,815
A nice example, recently in Brussels, is police's cooperation[*] with about 500 neo-nazi hooligans, allowing them to rob and smash up "Paki nightshops" before arriving at the Beurs square where they then went on to assault people gathered there for a vigil in memory of the terrorist attacks at Zaventem Airport. The cops immediately went on to arrest human rights observers (including the head of the Belgian Human Rights League) as the neo-nazi hooligans were attacking people all around.

* which can be clearly seen in the footage, for example the head of the Brussels police force shaking hands and patting the backs of the leaders of the hooligans in an obviously friendly and cooperative atmosphere.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin

Last edited by caveman1917; Yesterday at 04:39 AM.
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:36 AM   #2421
Gilbert Syndrome
Illuminator
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Aigburth, Liverpool, UK
Posts: 4,531
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
We were talking about the Rostock progrom of 1992 and police's cooperation in it. Gilbert Syndrome then quickly changed the subject to the EDL.
Err, no, I gave an example of why the AntiFa can get arrested in any country, using an example relative to the UK, because you made out like they were targeted for no reason, you then replied to my post, knowing it was about my experience with the AntiFa and the EDL, and told me things that you know nothing about re: the problems that arise in the UK during these protests.
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:37 AM   #2422
Gilbert Syndrome
Illuminator
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Aigburth, Liverpool, UK
Posts: 4,531
Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
And the heavily armed Nazi's are just there for peaceful protests. You are clear where your sympathies are.
When did I say that they weren't? Are you even reading what I'm typing? lol.

I don't sympathize with either group, the topic I was responding to was why the AntiFa get arrested, we all know why the fascists get arrested, stop being silly.
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:41 AM   #2423
Argumemnon
World Maker
 
Argumemnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the thick of things
Posts: 64,938
Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
It would, which is why laws have been created to prevent it. We have not done so for political affiliation.
I would think that laws should prevent discrimination based on unjustified reasons, whatever they may be.
__________________
"Yes. But we'll hit theirs as well. We have reserves. Attack!"
Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:42 AM   #2424
caveman1917
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 4,815
Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
And the thread is about Charlottesville.
Sure, the thread is about Charlottesville except for all those posts which aren't about Charlottesville. You didn't seem to have any problem with posts about removal of statues etc, but you do have a problem with (recent) historical examples and lessons of neo-nazi violence?
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:01 AM   #2425
Stacko
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,139
So much winning!

Quote:
A UN committee tasked with combatting racism has issued a formal "early warning" over conditions in the United States, a rare move often used to signal the potential of a looming civil conflict.

The United Nations Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination said it had invoked its "early warning and urgent action procedure" because of the proliferation of racist demonstrations in the US.

It specifically noted the unrest in Charlottesville, Virginia, in which a woman was killed after an avowed white supremacist ploughed his car into a group of anti-racism counterprotestors.

The racism committee, part of the UN human rights office, can issue a formal early warning to help prevent "existing problems from escalating into conflict" or to "prevent a resumption of conflict where it has previously occurred", according to the rights office website.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:11 AM   #2426
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 10,648
Good article on Antifa:

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...the-world.html
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:32 AM   #2427
trustbutverify
Philosopher
 
trustbutverify's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,943
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
You mean like Sandra Bland? Rekia Boyd?

Or young black men, like Trayvon Martin, or John Crawford III, or Tamir Rice. In those cases people rushed to explain why it was perfectly fine to kill a black guy who was just minding their own business.

No, I absolutely think that the reaction would be weaker had the victim been a black woman, rather than a white woman. And in fact, Id expect that any adverse information would be worked over with a fine comb. Yes, I fully expect that had Heather Heyer been non-white, these same people would be digging through her police records to portray her as an angry criminal. they'd do their absolute best to belittle her.

Again, we watched Ferguson police flat-out attack the black community there, and many here justified it. "Oh, but the Quicky-Mart!" - and never mind that the police attacked the community *before* that QT burned.

Im not even sure why you're objecting. They're perfectly happy to justify murdering a black person, regardless of circumstances. Why would it suddenly change in this case?
Too bad being 100% correct is frowned upon these days.
__________________
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:35 AM   #2428
quadraginta
Becoming Beth
 
quadraginta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central Vale of Humility
Posts: 18,366
Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
From my experience, it doesn't matter who is creating the public nuisance, the police are impartial.

<snip>

How nice for you.

My experience goes back to the 60s in the U.S. It apparently is different than yours.

I get to see that difference every time I get a chest x-ray and the technician asks how my rib got broken. And I wasn't even at a public disturbance. I was just a couple of blocks too close to one.

With hair that was too long.

I have seen on our news reports that even sixty years later things haven't changed all that much. The cops don't have a great deal of restraint when they decide not to be impartial.
__________________
"It never does just what I want, but only what I tell it."

Last edited by quadraginta; Yesterday at 11:37 AM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:24 PM   #2429
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 36,782
I am finding it very troubling that some on the left here are now justifying political violence. That is very dangerous.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:00 PM   #2430
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 61,969
Originally Posted by MostlyDead View Post
Right, but whether on private or public land, they are in public view, which I see as the silver bullet argument. Being on public space just strengthens the argument that menacing symbols violate public decency, regardless of the will of the majority.
Huh?

Should I be offended then about all the giant Jesus Saves and Jesus Loves You signs people erect on their private land that blare out over the roadways and freeways in the US?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:29 PM   #2431
MostlyDead
Graduate Poster
 
MostlyDead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,579
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
You mean like Sandra Bland? Rekia Boyd?

Or young black men, like Trayvon Martin, or John Crawford III, or Tamir Rice. In those cases people rushed to explain why it was perfectly fine to kill a black guy who was just minding their own business.

No, I absolutely think that the reaction would be weaker had the victim been a black woman, rather than a white woman. And in fact, Id expect that any adverse information would be worked over with a fine comb. Yes, I fully expect that had Heather Heyer been non-white, these same people would be digging through her police records to portray her as an angry criminal. they'd do their absolute best to belittle her.

Again, we watched Ferguson police flat-out attack the black community there, and many here justified it. "Oh, but the Quicky-Mart!" - and never mind that the police attacked the community *before* that QT burned.

Im not even sure why you're objecting. They're perfectly happy to justify murdering a black person, regardless of circumstances. Why would it suddenly change in this case?
Umm...because we are talking about a nazi committing murder at a white supremacist march? Bland, Boyd, Crawford, Rice, all killed by police, IIRC? So you suggest that police are actual nazis, and equate tham with Charlotteville? Rice was the kid who went to draw an airsoft pistol on police from his waistband and was shot. Are you seriously comparing that with a freaking nazi deliberately mowing down protestors in his car?

I think that media representation and public sentiment are turning heavily against neo-nazis, and one deliberately murdering a black person at a white supremacist march would fan resentment much, much more, with it's shades of public lynching. The public nature of this killing by a nazi civilian at a march is dramatically different than the (very real) issue of systemic racism in law enforcement.
__________________
Thusly blathered MostlyDead
MostlyDead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:39 PM   #2432
MostlyDead
Graduate Poster
 
MostlyDead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,579
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Huh?

Should I be offended then about all the giant Jesus Saves and Jesus Loves You signs people erect on their private land that blare out over the roadways and freeways in the US?
Be offended at whatever you choose. I am offended by just about any billboard advertisement. But Jesus Loves You signs do not carry the historical message that some believe you should be chained and owned as property. A statue of Lee invokes dread in blacks, I imagine. Both for what he did and stood for and for what those who revere him still evidently cherish. No, I don't think anyone has the right to menace a portion of the public with imagery.
__________________
Thusly blathered MostlyDead
MostlyDead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:57 PM   #2433
quadraginta
Becoming Beth
 
quadraginta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central Vale of Humility
Posts: 18,366
Originally Posted by MostlyDead View Post
<snip>

I think that media representation and public sentiment are turning heavily against neo-nazis, and one deliberately murdering a black person at a white supremacist march would fan resentment much, much more, with it's shades of public lynching. The public nature of this killing by a nazi civilian at a march is dramatically different than the (very real) issue of systemic racism in law enforcement.

If this were the case I'd expect we'd be hearing much more in the national media about Deandre Harris who, although not killed by Neo-Nazis, very nearly was. The three men who beat him with sticks put him in the hospital with ... among many other traumas ... severe blood loss. One comment from a hospital employee described him as "very lucky".

Where is all the air time about that black person's treatment?

Many, if not most of the people following the reporting on this incident don't even know that the incident took place, even though the Governor of Virginia is making public demands for the arrest and prosecution of Harris's assailants.
__________________
"It never does just what I want, but only what I tell it."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:58 PM   #2434
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 61,969
Originally Posted by MostlyDead View Post
Be offended at whatever you choose. I am offended by just about any billboard advertisement. But Jesus Loves You signs do not carry the historical message that some believe you should be chained and owned as property. A statue of Lee invokes dread in blacks, I imagine. Both for what he did and stood for and for what those who revere him still evidently cherish. No, I don't think anyone has the right to menace a portion of the public with imagery.
You are addressing the wrong point. You need to address private and public property, not whatever your thoughts are about the choice the private citizen makes given his/her right to free speech.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:50 PM   #2435
Delphic Oracle
Graduate Poster
 
Delphic Oracle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,569
Originally Posted by MostlyDead View Post
Umm...because we are talking about a nazi committing murder at a white supremacist march? Bland, Boyd, Crawford, Rice, all killed by police, IIRC? So you suggest that police are actual nazis, and equate tham with Charlotteville? Rice was the kid who went to draw an airsoft pistol on police from his waistband and was shot. Are you seriously comparing that with a freaking nazi deliberately mowing down protestors in his car?

I think that media representation and public sentiment are turning heavily against neo-nazis, and one deliberately murdering a black person at a white supremacist march would fan resentment much, much more, with it's shades of public lynching. The public nature of this killing by a nazi civilian at a march is dramatically different than the (very real) issue of systemic racism in law enforcement.
The way you blithely make a small child complicit in their own extrajudicial homicide is a great example of why your conclusion misses the mark.

The neonazi online rags were already full of stories of an out of control mob of black thugs beating on his car from all sides with 1-gallon paint cans full of cement. Viola, instant (if completely fabricated) justification. Or they'd have torn into her private life and found that one time she went to the principal's office so clearly she deserved to die. Rationality is not a factor here.

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; Yesterday at 10:55 PM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:46 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.