ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old Yesterday, 04:44 PM   #41
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Another aspect is that I think there is evidence that we actually enjoy praising other people more than punishing. But that requires us to stick our neck out a bit, while punishing is not as risky. It has been some time since I took my last training course on it, but positive reinforcement has some pretty strong support for being good for both the trainer and the trainee.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:27 PM   #42
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
Well this is the point I am trying to make. I think there is a pleasure involved in punishing others. Others we dislike mostly. I suspect this may be hard wired into us to some extent but also think it may be re-enforced by religious conditioning, when the god worshiped has an impressive track record of punishing to the extreme directly, and indirectly by getting others to do it for him.

We have some evidence to support this idea when we look at were in the World punishments are most extreme and look at the religiosity in those places. When we look at some of the least religious places such as Scandinavia we see much less harsh punishment and rehabilitation being the primary focus. I have seen some hardliners scoff at this approach as being soft on criminals. This they present as being wrong as a self evident truth.
Stress(repentance) and pleasure(bliss) are two emotions which probably we should be getting due to hard wired some "cause and effect" natural mechanism in us. Either we are removing our inherited or acquired burdens(bliss) or we are adding more burden(stress). However it is subject to unintentional happening not to consciously done with an intention of some selfish interests.
Old Yesterday, 06:05 PM   #43
Delphic Oracle
Graduate Poster

We've seen examples of animals demonstrating an understanding of unfairness (justice). The real difficulty we have with our human ability to weave a few layers of ******** onto things is where is the difference between justice and vengeance. What is fair and what is merely retribution are not the same. We have quite a history, however, of doing some clearly selfish things in the name of this moral standard.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:45 PM   #44
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
We've seen examples of animals demonstrating an understanding of unfairness (justice). The real difficulty we have with our human ability to weave a few layers of ******** onto things is where is the difference between justice and vengeance. What is fair and what is merely retribution are not the same. We have quite a history, however, of doing some clearly selfish things in the name of this moral standard.
Good post.

There seems to be a difference between humans living socially and other species living naturally, retribution is long term or short term. I am not considering natural constitutional inimical initiations and selfish and manipulative behaviour i.e whatever happen naturally not done consciously.
Old Yesterday, 11:17 PM   #45
David Mo
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
We've seen examples of animals demonstrating an understanding of unfairness (justice).
Can you put forward some example of this? Thank you.
David Mo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:48 PM   #46
Thor 2
Master Poster

Originally Posted by David Mo View Post
Can you put forward some example of this? Thank you.

Thanks David, I was going to ask the same question.
Old Today, 12:37 AM   #47
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
Thanks David, I was going to ask the same question.
Sure.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/eart...rom-wrong.html

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy