ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 11th July 2018, 07:47 PM   #681
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I can't help wondering what Trump thinks he is accomplishing? Seriously, does he really think he is influencing the respective electorates and governments in these countries? It's like he is just appealing only to his own base here at home. My guess is that each of the NATO countries will just roll their eyes and go on doing what they have been doing. They are just waiting him out.
Depends on the country. Germany may or may not be waiting him out, more deeply connected, or smaller, countries are likely to look on the US as a pack of complete idiots who could easily elect another demagogic, petty, mendacious, bigoted narcissist, and will change their view permanently.

As for what Trump is thinking: "Me Trump am strongest leader much better than Obama, me tell others what to do because me am strong and greatest at makedeal!" is about it.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th July 2018, 08:13 PM   #682
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Depends on the country. Germany may or may not be waiting him out, more deeply connected, or smaller, countries are likely to look on the US as a pack of complete idiots who could easily elect another demagogic, petty, mendacious, bigoted narcissist, and will change their view permanently.

As for what Trump is thinking: "Me Trump am strongest leader much better than Obama, me tell others what to do because me am strong and greatest at makedeal!" is about it.
They all may or may not be waiting him out. I just don't believe they are going to be drastically increasing their military spending overnight. These are democratic governments which means increases in military spending require not only their executives, but the cooperation of their respective legislative branches.

Trump is batcrap crazy and they all know it. What's he gonna do? Pull the US out of NATO?
Old 11th July 2018, 08:16 PM   #683
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
I predict to "save the soybean market (and farmers)", Trump will propose loosening sanctions on Russia so the farmers can sell their soybeans there.
Russia is a net exporter of soy beans. And if they want to import some, they'd buy from the even larger exporter next door (Ukraine).

He's just blowing smoke because China ain't buying and if he thinks the farmers are going to believe his The Mooslim Kenyan Did It narrative, he's underestimating the farmers. It's that NYC slick con man mentality that they accuse Dems of. He thinks he's conning Cletus and Marjean, but I believe he's dealing with monster agri-business here.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th July 2018, 09:40 PM   #684
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Old 11th July 2018, 09:41 PM   #685
Jimbo07
Illuminator

I can't help wondering what Trump thinks he is accomplishing? Seriously, does he really think he is influencing the respective electorates and governments in these countries? It's like he is just appealing only to his own base here at home. My guess is that each of the NATO countries will just roll their eyes and go on doing what they have been doing. They are just waiting him out.
Oh, are you kidding? This whole 2% or 4% business is just a tactic. The numbers themselves don't mean anything. Same with lashing out at Germany over Russia. It's meant to be disruptive.

But to what end? I'm not sure. It could be to play to his base, or maybe Putin has something on him, or it may even serve conservative interests. I don't have enough knowledge to say, certainly.

I have a guess tho...

I'd bet that part of it is personal. I think he doesn't like being lectured by the adults in the room. I think allied leaders stand in the way of his feelings of self importance. Dictators don't have to respond to their constituency, so it's easier for them to throw him parties!

Atoms in supernova explosion get huge business -- Pixie of key

Last edited by Jimbo07; 11th July 2018 at 09:42 PM.
Jimbo07 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 01:29 AM   #686
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Not to mention, if you think about it, Trump won't even enact sanctions against Russia and he wants Germany to boycott their oil?

Apparently US companies want to sell natural gas to Germany.

This is from a year ago: Trump pitches US natural gas to European leaders, suggests Russian gas holds them hostage
No doubt lobbyists are feeding him his lines, although I think he probably still wanders off message because he's not all that together.
Minoosh is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 02:07 AM   #687
TheSupermeerkat
Critical Thinker

Sean Spicer contradicts Trump's Manafort claims in new book

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ms-in-new-book

[blockquote] Dreamily envisioning Donald Trump as “a unicorn, riding a unicorn over a rainbow”, former press secretary Sean Spicer has filled a new book with breathless memories of his role in recent American history – while admitting that Paul Manafort, suspected of being a tool of Moscow, played a central role in the Trump campaign.[/blockquote]

I am not surprised by this.
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 02:10 AM   #688
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I think all us non-US NATO members should increase our military spending by a) organising a huge military parade, b) starting our own Space Force. I'm sure we could spend lots of money that way.
Old 12th July 2018, 02:19 AM   #689
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

"Billions of additional dollars are being spent by NATO countries since my visit last year, at my request, but it isn’t nearly enough. U.S. spends too much. Europe’s borders are BAD! Pipeline dollars to Russia are not acceptable!"

"Presidents have been trying unsuccessfully for years to get Germany and other rich NATO Nations to pay more toward their protection from Russia. They pay only a fraction of their cost. The U.S. pays tens of Billions of Dollars too much to subsidize Europe, and loses Big on Trade!"

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 12th July 2018 at 02:20 AM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 02:20 AM   #690
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post
Sean Spicer contradicts Trump's Manafort claims in new book

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ms-in-new-book

[blockquote] Dreamily envisioning Donald Trump as “a unicorn, riding a unicorn over a rainbow”, former press secretary Sean Spicer has filled a new book with breathless memories of his role in recent American history – while admitting that Paul Manafort, suspected of being a tool of Moscow, played a central role in the Trump campaign.[/blockquote]

I am not surprised by this.
Let's not underestimate how important a job fetching the covfefe actually is.
Old 12th July 2018, 02:26 AM   #691
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Jimbo07 View Post
Oh, are you kidding? This whole 2% or 4% business is just a tactic. The numbers themselves don't mean anything. Same with lashing out at Germany over Russia. It's meant to be disruptive.

But to what end? I'm not sure. It could be to play to his base, or maybe Putin has something on him, or it may even serve conservative interests. I don't have enough knowledge to say, certainly.

I have a guess tho...

I'd bet that part of it is personal. I think he doesn't like being lectured by the adults in the room. I think allied leaders stand in the way of his feelings of self importance. Dictators don't have to respond to their constituency, so it's easier for them to throw him parties!
I think he needs a new battlefield. He's been lashing out in all directions, which he's normally done, but he's doing more so than usual. He's got the Mueller nightmare in anteroom 1 and a complete **** up with Korea in anteroom 2. He has to distract the raw meat crowds, so picking fights with wimminz and friends is what he does best. He waits to see what appeals to the feeble minded and he'll run with that.

And this **** does sell with a certain minority of voters.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 02:36 AM   #692
Parsman
Muse

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Trump is a leader! Everyone else is looking the wrong way.
Scottish expression "They're all out of step except our Johnny" say the proud parents when watching their son in a military parade. Suspect that would be the mind set of the Trump supporters on here.

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.

Last edited by Parsman; 12th July 2018 at 02:37 AM. Reason: Spelling
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 03:07 AM   #693
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Does he think the money is given to the USA?
Assumes capabilities not in evidence.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 03:11 AM   #694
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

They all may or may not be waiting him out. I just don't believe they are going to be drastically increasing their military spending overnight. These are democratic governments which means increases in military spending require not only their executives, but the cooperation of their respective legislative branches.

Trump is batcrap crazy and they all know it. What's he gonna do? Pull the US out of NATO?
I think that might well be on the agenda. That will give us a break when the russians grab estonia.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 04:10 AM   #695
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

... I'd bet that part of it is personal. I think he doesn't like being lectured by the adults in the room. I think allied leaders stand in the way of his feelings of self importance. Dictators don't have to respond to their constituency, so it's easier for them to throw him parties!
Completely on the money. The man is pure need, just like his whiny, panicked voters.
Old 12th July 2018, 05:09 AM   #696
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump comments on his visit to the UK

He referred to Britain as a "pretty hot spot right now with a lot of resignations".

"I think they like me a lot in the UK; I think they agree with me on immigration...

"You see what's going on throughout the world with immigration... I think that's why Brexit happened."

He said the British people "voted to break it up, so I imagine that's what they'll do" and "Brexit is Brexit".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44802315
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 05:11 AM   #697
Arcade22
Illuminator

Watching the head of NATO, the Norwegian Jens Stoltenberg, grovelling before Trump even to the point of giving him personally credit for supposedly increasing member states military spending (something which Trump repeatedly mentioned) is proof enough of how spineless these people are when dealing with Trump.

Pathetic.
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 05:17 AM   #698
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

“They like me a lot in the UK.” Trump is not a glass-half-full kind of guy but rather puts a glass overflowing spin on everything. Lies and ignorant runnings off at the mouth become the alt reality.
Old 12th July 2018, 05:19 AM   #699
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
Watching the head of NATO, the Norwegian Jens Stoltenberg, grovelling before Trump even to the point of giving him personally credit for supposedly increasing member states military spending (something which Trump repeatedly mentioned) is proof enough of how spineless these people are when dealing with Trump.

Pathetic.
He is trying the method that works for many leaders - flattery.
Old 12th July 2018, 05:20 AM   #700
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post

Pathetic.
Yes, unless they actively support him, international leaders need to stand up to Donald Trump and make clear their opposition to him face-to-face. Too often it's like the GOP, brave off the record or when it doesn't matter and then toeing the line when push comes to shove.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 06:04 AM   #701
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

China Buys Record Amount of Russian Soy as It Shuns U.S. Growers

Quote:
China, the world’s biggest soybean importer, almost tripled purchases from Russia amid a trade dispute with the U.S., the biggest producer.

Russia sold about 850,000 metric tons of soybeans to China from the start of the 12-month season in July through mid-May, according to Russia’s agriculture agency Rosselkhoznadzor. That’s more than during any season before and compares with about 340,000 tons sold during all of the previous period
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ns-u-s-growers

American Soybean Association on Donald Trump’s trade dispute with China:

Quote:
“Soybeans are the top agriculture export for the US & China is the top market for purchasing those exports. The math is simple. You tax soybean exports at 25% & you have serious damage to US farmers”
Old 12th July 2018, 06:19 AM   #702
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

You have to give him this, he said trade wars were easy to win..... he just didn't make it clear he meant China would find it easy to win.
Old 12th July 2018, 06:35 AM   #703
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

MAGA win for Russia.
Old 12th July 2018, 07:07 AM   #704
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
What are these "contributions" you refer to ?

Among some there seems to be the misapprehension that there's some sort of central fund into which NATO members pay and then NATO-related expenses are met from that central fund and that the US pays more than its fair share into that fund - none of that is the case.

It's true that the US spends a greater proportion of its GDP on its military than any other NATO member. That doesn't mean that it's subsidising the other NATO members in any way. I'm no military expert but it's entirely possible that the US could significantly reduce its military expenditure significantly and have no measurable impact on its ability to defend itself and/or meet its NATO obligations.

GOP orthodoxy dictates that military expenditure must always increase.

2% is IMO an arbitrary target. A country like the UK has all kinds of global ex-imperial obligations that a middle-European country simply doesn't have. "Our" 2% has to go a lot further than, say, Poland's. Who knows why individual countries agreed to a 2% target ?
It's also the case that the US is involved in military matters on a world scale, and this is simply not true of all NATO members. We spend something like 3.3% on the military, but it's ridiculous to think that all of this is spent due to NATO.

Trump is, and I think I'm the first person to notice, a moron. No one else has ever said so. But now that I've said it, people are agreeing.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 07:22 AM   #705
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
...snip...

Trump is, and I think I'm the first person to notice, a moron. No one else has ever said so. But now that I've said it, people are agreeing.
Some people are indeed saying that.
Old 12th July 2018, 08:40 AM   #706
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Some people are indeed saying that.
A lotta people.
Old 12th July 2018, 09:38 AM   #707
Aber
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
A lotta people.
The best people
Aber is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 10:01 AM   #708
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

I note he's having dinner tonight at Blenheim Palace. An inspired choice, as pointed out by a poster elsewhere:

Quote:
a Palace which looks like a Palace, has the word Palace in it and will certainly convince the American Delegation that they got to visit a Palace..............whilst simultaneously being the only "Palace" in the land not to be either a Royal or Church residence. There's only the Duke of Marlborough to arm twist into doing it, and his prescription drug addiction and prison sentences mean he probably owes the Authorities favours anyway.
Old 12th July 2018, 10:28 AM   #709
Fudbucker
Philosopher

When is the Trump baby balloon going up?
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 10:47 AM   #710
AnonyMoose
Critical Thinker

Yet another forehead slapping NATO summit circus brought to you by The Orange Clown™...

I've looked into my crystal ball, rubbed a magical pink stone counterclockwise three times around my bellybutton and have come up with this prediction:

Jim Mattis will hand in his resignation within 6 months.

Eventually he's going to get fed up with having to stomp out fires before the little voice in his head finally convinces him to jump ship:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-nato-summit-mattis/united-states-100-percent-committed-to-nato-mattis-says-after-summit-idUSKBN1K2269
AnonyMoose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 11:06 AM   #711
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by AnonyMoose View Post
Yet another forehead slapping NATO summit circus brought to you by The Orange Clown™...

I've looked into my crystal ball, rubbed a magical pink stone counterclockwise three times around my bellybutton and have come up with this prediction:

Jim Mattis will hand in his resignation within 6 months.

Eventually he's going to get fed up with having to stomp out fires before the little voice in his head finally convinces him to jump ship:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-nato-summit-mattis/united-states-100-percent-committed-to-nato-mattis-says-after-summit-idUSKBN1K2269
I don't know, you think he has to be afraid what would happen if someone who cared more for Trump than america was there and was backing Trump up on his nonsensical lies about NATO.
Old 12th July 2018, 11:16 AM   #712
Bob001
Philosopher

Trump doesn't like the looks of Air Force One (which in fact is the designation of any plane the President is on), says it's a "Jackie Kennedy color," wants to repaint it.
https://www.axios.com/donald-trump-n...mpaign=organic
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 11:31 AM   #713
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

You have to give him this, he said trade wars were easy to win..... he just didn't make it clear he meant China would find it easy to win.
He did say we'd get tired of all the winning.

*raises hand*

Ok... I'm there.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 11:57 AM   #714
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Trump doesn't like the looks of Air Force One (which in fact is the designation of any plane the President is on), says it's a "Jackie Kennedy color," wants to repaint it.
https://www.axios.com/donald-trump-n...mpaign=organic
At least he doesn't want to paint it gold.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 12:08 PM   #715
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Hmm... maybe not the outside.

I swear, if he got to redecoreate the interior, I can see it ending up looking like some Arabian Nights' harem. In other words... any of his tacky penthouse residences.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 12:13 PM   #716
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
Re: Air Force 1....
Quote:
I swear, if he got to redecoreate the interior, I can see it ending up looking like some Arabian Nights' harem. In other words... any of his tacky penthouse residences.
I prefer the John Oliver description:

A cross between C3PO's colon and a museum that nobody ever learned anything in.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 12:30 PM   #717
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I have a guess tho...

I agree its just a tactic. I'm simply doubting it's efficacy at accomplishing anything of substance.
Old 12th July 2018, 12:41 PM   #718
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

They love Trump
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................................................. in Russia!

Way to go Donald!
Old 12th July 2018, 01:32 PM   #719
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

"Great success today at NATO! Billions of additional dollars paid by members since my election. Great spirit!"
Old 12th July 2018, 01:34 PM   #720
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweeted

"Germany just started paying Russia, the country they want protection from, Billions of Dollars for their Energy needs coming out of a new pipeline from Russia. Not acceptable! All NATO Nations must meet their 2% commitment, and that must ultimately go to 4%!"

2 percent of GDP is the agreed upon defence expenditure for each member state to reached by 2024. That's six years from now.
And just last night Trump said the U.S. spends too much on defence.

The U.S. spends 3.7 percent of it's GDP on defence, this is not going all to NATO commitments.

Now he wants to increase to 4 percent of GDP? That means spending more, not less. Does he know that?

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 12th July 2018 at 01:44 PM.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics